Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It happened....SWTOR going F2P this fall!

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Bwahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaahahah C'mon who didn't see this coming?
    This Guy

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

EA is so fail.

First they take the one IP that cannot possibly fail with and they fail anyway. Then they turn it into a completely fail form of free to play.

"Never split your community"

Penny Arcade - Extra Credits – Microtransactions

Limited flashpoints and no access to ops is about the dumbest idea ever. Why do you want free players on your servers? So you have a population for paying players to play with, because a ghost town is no fun.

All die, so die well.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

EA should just stay away from the MMO genre everything they touch turns to shit.

• knighthammerknighthammer Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

EA is so fail.

First they take the one IP that cannot possibly fail with and they fail anyway. Then they turn it into a completely fail form of free to play.

Limited flashpoints and no access to ops is about the dumbest idea ever. Why do you want free players on your servers? So you have a population for paying players to play with, because a ghost town is no fun.

They take one of the greatest universes and create a lump of poodoo with it, then get 7 months worth of subs then rub people faces in it with the F2P news. New big expansion coming up, oh sorry you have to buy planet X or Y

Star Wars Galaxies relaunch by December 2012

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Forum shitstorm incoming in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ....

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

In the 26th July shareholder presentation slides EA didn't include Star Wars on it's brand slide this time around. FIFA, NHL. Madden, Tiger Woods. Plants vs. Zombies - alomg with Sims, Battlefield etc.

F2P suggests to me they have paid LA upfront and now its just a case of what can they salvage - after all they said in Feb# about how it was subs that were the critical thing. I don't see much restriction though - and by November it will probably need a re-launch.

Did someone say the word crisis? If the execs don't know now whether or not stuff is going to come out before November - only 3 to 4 months away - that doesn't suggest to me they have a handle what is currently being produced - especially when an 18 month lead time was mentioned. Things to be released soon should be in testing now - or at the very least going to testing soon.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Looks like SWG was the more superior MMO afterall

Yeah, I wonder how Lucas Farts thinks about the decision now to force SOE to kill SWG. The community wasn't huge but they still had a dozen servers running when they were shutdown. I wonder if SWTOR will be able to boast so many.

All die, so die well.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Well, its official.  Some races are going to only be available to paying customers.  Anyone know which ones are available to people that are using the free option (I swear if they get rid of Zabraks or Sith Pureblood I am going to seriously reconsider playing).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

On the official forums:

529 responses and 14999 views as of 6:00 pm EST.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Subscribers will receive monthly allowances of Cartel Coins, which can be used to purchase in-game items, gear, and convenience features.

SWTOR meets P2W

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by BrightestDay

Besides the occasional pvp from 1-49, which is where it's fun in this game(post 50 pvp is horrible and not fun at all) this works for me, considering the only reason I see to play the game at all is for the class stories.  Once you finish those, the rest of the game is so shallow it wouldn't bother me in the least that it's limited or completely blocked.  THAT"S why the game is going Hybrid, don't let the suits fool you with their wierd excuses.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I'll quote myself from this thread (12/10/11, commentary in green):

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4604188

Prediction

Sales:

Launch box/digital-sales in the first week (including pre-orders): ~3-4 Million I was too high on that one, ca. ~2M box sales were reported
    Subscription retention rates (from initial sales, numbers at the -end- of each month):

1. Month: 80-90% (correct)
    2. Month: 50-60% (correct)
    3. Month: 30-40% (correct)
    4. Month: below 30% (correct)
    +6. Month: ~15% (incorrect)

Free To Play prediction:
    Month 12-14 from launch (incorrect, but i was giving it the benefit of the doubt here)

Read the responses on it though, all kinds of people telling me that it will NEVER EVER go f2p.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Why would anyone ever sub to this game again?  Endgame?  WoW's raiding is 100x smoother, more fun, more challenging, and overall better.....story quests?  TSW tops each one......PvP?  GW2 in less than a month.....Character creation?  No, just no.....Star Wars?  It is more fun to watch videos and nostalgia on SWG than play this piece of crap online RPG.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Very confused why so many people are makign coffins for this game. 

Star Wars invested way too much money in an MMO without a plan to make it back.  The most profitable mode of making a decent income in the F2P model.  It gets a lot of people playing and allows die hards to invest as much as they want.  Just like DDO, DC Universe and LOTR Online, this should stabalize the game and start it inching towards profitability. 

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591

Right in sync with the timeline for my prediction that this game's plug will be pulled in December. F2P won't save it.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

I am not surprised that SWTOR would attempt to go F2P. I doubt anyone really is outside the die hard fans. The problem is that the game was not designed with the types of features or content needed to maintain a long term committed player base that will subscribe long or even desire to stick around and play after finishing a story line. The promises of new content every six weeks reads well upon virtual web pages but I honestly doubt they can sustain that long term.

It is stated by the development team that they have been looking at the Turbine and SOE models. When one considers a game like LOTRO in comparison, it has several features built in to keep a target community playing and doing so together. Guild housing and guild neighborhoods, useful end game crafting that requires items from others on occasion, skirmishes (like little 1 to 3 man raids) to engage in while awaiting larger runs, even fishing and options to write and play your own music with friends.

What does SWTRO have outside of a single player story they are now giving away for free? You might sub a month for quest content, their limited if sometimes fun when leveling PVP, maybe a solo space combat romp or two, but after that? There is nothing much less anything to encourage you to need or want other people or stick around longer than a month. I am afraid they will end up with a more SOE like model as a result and may start selling PVP gear high end as a “convenience” feature to avoid grind...

Outside of an initial burst, I personally just do not see F2P as being enough to “save SWTOR” or keep it a major player in the MMORPG industry long term. It will hang on though, as a once in a blue moon theme park ride with fewer consistant players than SWG had if a larger body in total. I don’t take any pleasure in that conclusion. I don’t like what I think this will mean for future games. I am disappointed in EA Bioware for this mess. And on a personal note, I hate their male counsular costume skirts. Next time, GIVE ME PANTS and I might sub longer. :P

Why is it I think that this does not bode well for TESO...

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Called it when this game was in beta. Feels good to be right. 

Edit: ROFL they couldn't even make a year! Even Age of Conan lasted longer. I wonder where the yes-men are now... although I could name each one of them, I won't. You know who you are. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

If it's true then I'll play it F2P with my son and wife if she's interested.  It's not worth a sub, but it does look like it's worth a spin to level cap with my family.  If it's decent I'll even throw a few bucks their way for unlocks.

At 15 bucks the game might actually be worth itl.

Pay 15 dollars for a 35 hour (or so) experience to 50.  As a single player game (or a limited co-op game) it's actually a deal.

Just do your best to forget the past 6 months, and that until yesterday, EA was selling this thing near 50 bucks.  :p

Originally posted by itgrowls

Waiting to see someone tell me that them going F2P is also EA's fault as opposed to both EA/BW. They both had a hand in killing it. s'okay tho I support F2P games - greedy practices.

Take note future devs as to why this game did this:

Solo gameplay while leveling, non-immersive world, gear treadmill, server queues, 2004 Lobby style end game, dps requirements to do anything meaningful, hardly any exploration, invisible walls separating sections, leveling was a rush to end game to do anything with others, forced grouping for progression end game.

It was only a matter of time.

Other than that the game did everything right.  I would also say having voiceovers as content.

"You’ve never heard of Star Wars: The Old Republic? … It’s the MMO that made the Sub to F2P run in less than 12 parsecs."

This wins the internet for a day.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    i would rather they make War free, its a better game.

this

Yep,  WAR had charm.  SWToR was just bland.

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by knighthammer
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

EA is so fail.

They take one of the greatest universes and create a lump of poodoo with it, then get 7 months worth of subs then rub people faces in it with the F2P news. New big expansion coming up, oh sorry you have to buy planet X or Y

And to think, all the nonsense of TOR is now canon.

Oh well.  Maybe someone will see how geeked everyone is about the restoration of KOTOR2 and finally make KOTOR3.  I'm trying that whole delusion thing the TOR fanbois have been on the past 7 months.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by pharazonic

Edit: ROFL they couldn't even make a year! Even Age of Conan lasted longer. I wonder where the yes-men are now... although I could name each one of them, I won't. You know who you are. 

Ahem, i think you are remembering things differently from how they happened.

Apparently not, no one's announced their one year anniversary or anything and even the F2P conversion is schedule long before december so.....what are we remembering again?

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860
    Originally posted by pharazonic

Ahem, i think you are remembering things differently from how they happened.

It's not truly free to play (like Aion which is very successful btw). It's on a crummy Freemium model that never works (AoC is proof).

I did call the failure of this game though and the game has failed. Low subs, no content in sight, crashing and burning. If you were familiar with these forums like 8-10 months ago, you'd remember the stupid arguments taht were had here. I got my (un)fair share of bans for alleged "trolling" when I was merely stating what a poor excuse of a game this was and got reported by fanboys. 

Well I am having the last laugh. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.