Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone Pre-Purchase thru Gamestop?

2»

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

never never never buy from gamestop!!!

I hate to say do not support your local brick and mortar stores, but in my experience, Gamestop employees are poorly informed about PC titles.  Especially pre-order/purchases of mmorpgs.  I have had numerous poor customer service issues of the years are various Gamestop locations in regards to MMO pre-purchase/orders.  One involved a district manager giving my pre-purchased collectors edition of the game to another customer who only prepaid for a standard copy, and then proceeded to argue with me about the refund but no more collector's editions existed in his district. 

From my experiences, they do not care about pc titles, have terrible customer service, and will not hesitate to give away your copy of a game regardless if you paid for it in full.  Their EU counterpart is failing/failed business and honestly it needs to happen to their US end.  Terrible company.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• bmw66bmw66 Member UncommonPosts: 141

UPDATE:

I have called AMEX and cancelled the transaction.  I gave gamestop every opportunity to address the situation.  I didnt even get a key code yet.  I finally heard back from a customer service and told them to credit me even though I already talked to AMEX.

I then went to Amazon, purchased the game, got the key code and was directed to the GW2 site were I downloaded the game.  Poof!! Just like that.  Now THAT is good service.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by bmw66

UPDATE:

I have called AMEX and cancelled the transaction.  I gave gamestop every opportunity to address the situation.  I didnt even get a key code yet.  I finally heard back from a customer service and told them to credit me even though I already talked to AMEX.

I then went to Amazon, purchased the game, got the key code and was directed to the GW2 site were I downloaded the game.  Poof!! Just like that.  Now THAT is good service.

Glad to hear you got fixed.

I too hate to take service away from a physical store if i can help it, but my god, Gamestop's continued incompetence as a company is staggering. This is not even close to the first  game this has happened with.

And as others have mentioned, they just do not care about PC titles. Which is fine...if they want the entire PC gaming community to turn to Amazon and Steam.Their loss.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

UPDATE:

Yep,  gamestop screws p literally every major game release in some damn way.  You think it is not possible, but they prove you wrong everytime.

BOOYAKA!

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572
    Originally posted by cyress8

UPDATE:

Yep,  gamestop screws p literally every major game release in some damn way.  You think it is not possible, but they prove you wrong everytime.

I've never had an issue with my local EB Games (Gamestop in Canada)

The people there are friendly and know what they should.   I really don't understand the hate.

That being said I bought GW2 online directly from ArenaNet.  Why get a physical copy these days unless the copy has something special... in GW2's case there is nothing that makes a physical copy worth the trouble.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Bainwalker

I've never had an issue with my local EB Games (Gamestop in Canada)

The people there are friendly and know what they should.   I really don't understand the hate.

That being said I bought GW2 online directly from ArenaNet.  Why get a physical copy these days unless the copy has something special... in GW2's case there is nothing that makes a physical copy worth the trouble.

EB (Electronics Botique) was another company that was bought out by Gamestop. I think they still use the old branding in some areas. They also were a lot better than Gamestop ever was. Wish we still had them here.

I've sadly had a lot of problems with GS over the years. They don't tend to be very knowledgeable about their products...they pretty much only pay attention to maor PS/Xbox releases. I understand they won't know every game...but they tend to know nothing about anything.

Tack on some of the corporate policies (Buying your game for $2 and selling it for $20, not providing emplyees with important information about serial numbers in situations like GW2, accidently giving multiple people the same codes, and let's not forget the Deus Ex fiasco..) and I'm done with them. It's a shame, because I'd like a decent local game store to go to, but it is what it is.