Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible for TOR to survive

1235»

Comments

• RizzitRizzit Member UncommonPosts: 43

The game was dead when they decided to release it with 4 Classes each side it was clear it's gonna be fail.

No open Skill System

Crafting Suxx

Economy lulwat?

Combat mediocre (copy & paste)

No free spaceflight

no housing/zone control

list goes on forever... i know games a decade old, more features then this materpiece of crap.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

I dont see swtor making it, we will know more after today, the financial conference call is today I think.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by ignore_me

WotC and Games Workshop shouldn't be compared to Lucasarts. Whole different leagues there. The D&D and Warhammer IPs don't have anything close to the money behind them that the various star wars brands do.  

I wasn't. What I was saying is that they do have ips so saying they don't simply isn't the case. I said myself in the post that they aren't in the same league.

Anyways, you guys are going way off point. I was simply showing how a game that was essentially dead was revived so it is entriely possible for EA to reinvigorate this game since it is nowhere even near the state DDO was in.

It is certainly possible. The question is whether EA will want to bother outside what they feel committed to.

Ok, sorry I misread it. Good point.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by ignore_me

WotC and Games Workshop shouldn't be compared to Lucasarts. Whole different leagues there. The D&D and Warhammer IPs don't have anything close to the money behind them that the various star wars brands do.  

I wasn't. What I was saying is that they do have ips so saying they don't simply isn't the case. I said myself in the post that they aren't in the same league.

Anyways, you guys are going way off point. I was simply showing how a game that was essentially dead was revived so it is entriely possible for EA to reinvigorate this game since it is nowhere even near the state DDO was in.

It is certainly possible. The question is whether EA will want to bother outside what they feel committed to.

They may have licences but nothing to worry about with them. I think the SW IP is 1 million dollars if I remember right, so plenty to worry about. Although DDO is developed and published by Turbine and Atari. Wizards of the Coast began it, but are no longer part of it, and Warhammer is developed and published by Mythic Entertainment / EA and is just based around the board game of Games Workshop

According to Esquire1980 LA did not even ask for the SW IP for SWG the last few years of its life, as I guess if they asked SOE for the $1 million then they would see no money, so better get whatevr percentage from the subs/sales of SWG than nothing at all. Then with SWTOR they were sure it was going to be 100% success, so they then asked SWG for the fee again, and with LA not allowing F2P, SOE saw it not a viable option to purchse the SW IP again, and so had no choice but to shut it down.

There is no longer any obvious IPs associated with DDO or Warhammer, it looks like they have been bought out, but if there are IPs, then they are probably doing what LA did with SWG for the last few years and does not come with a fee, but just get whatever % from the sales and subs. As they are not as greedy as LA, and they care about their customers, so these MMOs stay around longer. Also SWTOR is more a single player experience than a MMO, which makes it as short lived as single player game.

Also I was showing that LA have proved that they are not willing to do what you suggest otherwise SWG would still be active now, as SWG was not as dead as DDO before it went F2P. LA are just too arrogant, and they do whatever they like. If you make suggestions they will rarely listen, as they think whatever they do is the right move.  I have never seen anyone give LA feedback and then they make things better.

EA will have little say in the matter, as LA was the ones who forced SOE to shut SWG down. If SOE had full control, SWG would still be active.

EA and LA are the 2 most greediest companies to exist, and do whatever to make a buck, at the cost of the customer, and the 2 together is an extreme bad mix. SOE does care about their customers, but they do not manage things well which makes them seem they do not care, and most of the things that they do that which are bad, they are told to, or not have any choice in order to survive from past bad decisions. It is hard to have a converstaion with the CEO of EA or Bioware, but it is easy with SOE, and they did save EQ mac from the grave, they did shut it down, but then a week later it was back up again.  SWG had more support than EQ mac, but SOE could not save SWG as "LA called the shots with SWG"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by superniceguy

They may have licences but nothing to worry about with them. I think the SW IP is 1 million dollars if I remember right, so plenty to worry about. Although DDO is developed and published by Turbine and Atari. Wizards of the Coast began it, but are no longer part of it, and Warhammer is developed and published by Mythic Entertainment / EA and is just based around the board game of Games Workshop

According to Esquire1980 LA did not even ask for the SW IP for SWG the last few years of its life, as I guess if they asked SOE for the $1 million then they would see no money, so better get whatevr percentage from the subs/sales of SWG than nothing at all. Then with SWTOR they were sure it was going to be 100% success, so they then asked SWG for the fee again, and with LA not allowing F2P, SOE saw it not a viable option to purchse the SW IP again, and so had no choice but to shut it down.

There is no longer any obvious IPs associated with DDO or Warhammer, it looks like they have been bought out, but if there are IPs, then they are probably doing what LA did with SWG for the last few years and does not come with a fee, but just get whatever % from the sales and subs. As they are not as greedy as LA, and they care about their customers, so these MMOs stay around longer. Also SWTOR is more a single player experience than a MMO, which makes it as short lived as single player game.

Also I was showing that LA have proved that they are not willing to do what you suggest otherwise SWG would still be active now, as SWG was not as dead as DDO before it went F2P. LA are just too arrogant, and they do whatever they like. If you make suggestions they will rarely listen, as they think whatever they do is the right move.  I have never seen anyone give LA feedback and then they make things better.

EA will have little say in the matter, as LA was the ones who forced SOE to shut SWG down. If SOE had full control, SWG would still be active.

EA and LA are the 2 most greediest companies to exist, and do whatever to make a buck, at the cost of the customer, and the 2 together is an extreme bad mix. SOE does care about their customers, but they do not manage things well which makes them seem they do not care, and most of the things that they do that which are bad, they are told to, or not have any choice in order to survive from past bad decisions. It is hard to have a converstaion with the CEO of EA or Bioware, but it is easy with SOE, and they did save EQ mac from the grave, they did shut it down, but then a week later it was back up again.  SWG had more support than EQ mac, but SOE could not save SWG as "LA called the shots with SWG"

I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I don't blame LA for doing in SWG. Really wouldn't make sense to have two Star Wars mmos competing against each other. I do agree if it was up to SOE then SWG would still be around. I'm certainly not going to discount LA's greed but far as that goes from a pure financial perspective it was smart.

The problem is when you bring the actual gameplay and design into the equation. I simply do not understand how people could not see the problems with SWTOR maintaining a long term player base. Simply doesn't make any sense. They have hardly anything in place to build a community, completely misjudged player's willingness for alt creation, completely misjudged server needs, etc. You could go on and on. Granted I doubt anyone with LA probably even really looked at any of this besides possibly mild curiosity.  

Bioware really misjudged the mmo community and what sells in an mmo. I know everyone loves to blame EA for this but frankly it falls on BW really. Although I suppose since they are part of EA now it is one and the same. This game had record sales in the beginning and a built in fan base that could have rivaled anything. Now? God knows where their subs are at.

Really is a shame and as much as some are getting a kick out of it I feel bad for those that were salivating over this game for years and those that have been laid off due to the game not living up to its potential.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

Well, now that SWTOR is going F2P I guess that's how it'll survive.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by LordOfPit

Well, now that SWTOR is going F2P I guess that's how it'll survive.

I would not bet on it personally.