Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8 to be a disaster according to Valve developer Gabe Newell

124»

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by chefdiablo

I do not see Google's Android system staking a big claim in the corporate business sector anytime soon with their open software development and multiple manufacturer business model.

I don't buy this part at all.  PCs are a multiple manufacturer model and Linux dominates corporate server rooms.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by TommiJyurro

Look, I have a friend who's beta testing 8.  It is like Windows is trying to merge the smartphone and pc style os'.  It is better than 7 and waaay better than vista-which they renamed 7.

7 is not Vista renamed, it is just the looks that are similar. Vista is a lot slower and use more memory.

Then again, merging PCs and smartphones is a bad thing in my world.

well the whole 'i have a friend' thing is a bit iffy, that and the apparantly complete lack of knowledge about OS's does kind of negate the rest of their statement, even as an opinion.

But yes, merging PC's and Smartphones, not a good idea, this from microsoft is just a quick cash grab, or at least an attempt at one. From reviews of Win8 so far, i really don't see any positive aspects to the OS at all, it appears to be a commercial/sales orientated product, not really a user orientated one. I think that will prove to be Win8's biggest downfall.image

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

didnt one if wow rep speak about w8 and valve not long ago!he was basicly saying pretty much same as valve!w8 isnt what we wish it should be!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Skuall

we arent forced to install w8 , no new direct X at all ....so meh ....W7 all the way....

Windows 8 will bring DirectX 11.1.  I'm not sure if that will be ported back to Windows 7 or not.  Remember that Vista did get DirectX 11 added shortly after Windows 7 launched, but Windows XP didn't.

On the other hand, whether DirectX 11.1 will matter remains an open question.  There were something like two games ever made for DirectX 10.1.  I'm not sure if DirectX 9.0b ever got that many, even.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Lots of ignorant posts in here.

Microsoft has no choice but to start making the Windows OS touch screen compatible.  The keyboard and mouse, while obviously still useful today, will not be as important on the whole in the upcoming future as will touch, voice and gesture control.  More and more people are ditching laptop and desktop computers and going with cheaper and more mobile tablet devices.  Ultrabooks are starting to come out with touch screens now, and soon all of our home screens will have touch features.  These are interfaces for the modern tech-driven world.  The keyboard and mouse will obviously be around a long time, but their use will be limited to when they are needed, not as the only user input mechanism.

As for the underlying OS, it's basically just a slightly enhanced version of Windows 7, and will be stable.  Anyone here who claims Windows 7 is/was a bad operating system is simply on crack.  Vista was garbage (but actually cleaned up nice toward the end), but Windows 7 has been fantastic.  I work in IT and have to deal with it constantly.

I should also add, that I use Linux (Cent, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) on a daily basis in both server and desktop form.  I love Linux, but this isn't the year where it takes the thrown from Windows, and Apple isn't even trying to.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The keyboard and mouse will obviously be around a long time, but their use will be limited to when they are needed, not as the only user input mechanism.

For the foreseeable future, "when they are needed" will mean "whenever you're trying to do anything non-trivial".  If all you want to do is read a book, then tablets with touch-screen interfaces work.  But if you want complex or precise inputs, touch screen isn't going to be viable anytime soon, and probably never will be.

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

Lack of knowledge of 8, yeah, I played with it for three minutes during a barbecue.  Was A+ cert'd for Vista, didn't bother with 7, though I do have the manual and have to fix my gf's bugs on her 7 machine all the time.  7 is a bit more efficient, but it is still grade a garbage that requires as much attention as my vista machine, so I personally see no big difference.  They both suck.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

The Only reason I still use Windows OS at all is for gaming. Linux office apps are already better and cheaper with Open Office and Conqurer web browser and also photo editing like the GIMP. If Valve and steam start making all their games work on Linux I will never use Microsoft Windows ever again.

• ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112

lol everytime a new version of a microsoft operating system is released, it's always (or nearly so) the worst thing since **** hit the fan. It has been this way since around msdos 3.1 or so. Why does it come as a shock that almost every new generation of MS OS is crud and will need massive updates to operate as intended, to close major backdoors, security fixes, etc.

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by chefdiablo I do not see Google's Android system staking a big claim in the corporate business sector anytime soon with their open software development and multiple manufacturer business model.
    I don't buy this part at all.  PCs are a multiple manufacturer model and Linux dominates corporate server rooms.

The main reason Android is considered a security risk is because there have been known holes in the system that many corporations do not feel comfortable with.

The app market is open source, the approval process is much less controlled and monitored than the other competition such as RIM, and Apple offer.

Whether you buy it or not, the IT departments of the largest companies are not buying Android devices for their employees to use as business phones. RIM still has the largest slice of that pie due the the security of their business servers and software. Some companies have been switching to other devices and that switch has been slow and reluctant. I believe Apple has made some headway with a few large companies but that might have more to do with RIM's current financial crisis and not the security of their servers, software, and devices.

I can tell you first hand as someone that works in the industry that there are companies out there that will not allow any other phone to be used as an employee phone except a Blackberry. Android is a long way from gaining trust with these companies. They have not created an operating system secure enough yet for that. Along with the security holes they have too many open source and buggy apps that lead to hacks and malfunctions on the devices. I also do not know of any type of secure business servers for Android phones that compare to what RIM offers. They might exist, but I have yet to encounter them.