Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8 to be a disaster according to Valve developer Gabe Newell

Comments

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Loke666
    All that said, I can´t for my life understand why people would twitter and blog their every private thought all the time, but that does not make someone stupid, just a bit.. weird. ;)

Yes, well, I don't do that either. But they got twitter from people older than them to be used on devices developed by the previous generation. They just adapted to what they were given, just as we did.

The "every private thought" is the key point, though, that means there won't be any "private" in the future and we step close to a brave new world, don't we? So a pastiche of the visions depicted in  The Matrix, Brave New World, 1984, Total Recall, Idiocracy, and so on, draws ever closer with each generation. But it is the older generation that is obliged (in my opinion, anyway, as irrelevant as it is) to care for and educate the younger -- rather than to exploit them, as we have been doing.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by 7star

Think about it...you don't like age-ism as a 40-50 year man, right? You're being age-ist.

Also, "the idiot younger generation" only inherited the world left to them by the older generation. They were educated by the older generation. They have been left with a pretty f--cked up planet, due to no fault of their own. So I don't think we need to blame the younger generation or insult them by calling them idiots.

By they way, I am a 40-50 year old dude.

People have always called the younger generation lazy and stupid, from the Asyreans to the old greeks to the 17th century to today.

It never really been true, each generation is just a little different and the ones before it always overreact.

All that said, I can´t for my life understand why people would twitter and blog their every private thought all the time, but that does not make someone stupid, just a bit.. weird. ;)

I don´t see much different on me playing my C-64 and a kid playing his IPAD today.

Diffrence is older generations where actually parents and semi responsible adults. It started with my generation (I'm 30) that games, TV, ect starting becomming babysitters instead of parents doing thier jobs.  Its only gotten worse over time. So while I agree with you to an extent I can make a good argument that as newer generations have grown up we really have become more lazy and dumb.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by xenogias

Diffrence is older generations where actually parents and semi responsible adults. It started with my generation (I'm 30) that games, TV, ect starting becomming babysitters instead of parents doing thier jobs.  Its only gotten worse over time.

TV was doing the same "babysitter" crap in my generation too (im 50)

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

2 Nagaj

Hah, you got me there. But i have an excuse! You see, russian translators translated that "Organise" caption into russian word that means "Sort". Just "Sort", not "organise". And the sub-option is translateed not as "Layout" but as "Presentation".

Now, you will undesrtand that no sane person would consider that an option to change the layout of a window would be located in a "Sort" menu group? Because this has zero to do with sorting, right? I checked "view" and "service" and it wasnt there. I stopped looking. Even if i did opened "sort" menu by chance, i wouldnt open "Presentation" submenu since thats not related at all, again.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Elikal

Somehow I think there is a computer software bubble ready to burst. Zynga, Facebook, Windows 8, EA... as if the entire trash is going to crash and burn within the next 2 years...

the bubble has already burst, Zynga is no longer as profitable, their profits have nosedived quite a bit. Facebook, their shares are falling in value on a pretty much day to day basis, the problem for them was the ephemeral nature of the business they were involved in. That microsoft is taking another throw of the dice gambling on windows 8's smartphone friendly interface, is one that will probably haunt them, tbh i hope that Steam do come up with a full linux version, rumour has it their also working on a version of l4d2 that will work on linux natively.. given that linux is also  more stable than any of microsofts OS'.. or any other OS for that matter, that would be a trend that would be extremely welcome, personally i only use windows, and XP at that, because if i want to play games, you have to have it.. if another option came along.. you bet i'd use Linux instead. image

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by Drakynn Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by stayBlind  Steam is planning on moving to Linux because Windows 8 is, according to them, a catastrophThis would be awesome!
      Lies. flat out lies.
    Not flat out lies,more of not understanding what was said I think . Valve is certainly workign on a Linux client and want the whoel steam library to be available on it but they aren't totally moving to Linux only on PC's as "moving" implies.
      Steam already exists on linux with the support of wine. But with 90% of the catalogue developed on Microsoft directx technologies, Its going to be near impossible to have working products straight out the box. if ever. Before you say "Wine", Wine never gets it right straight out of the box, its going to be a PR nightmare with people demanding refunds for purchased products not working.
    I'm not trying to argue with you I'm trying to tell you what you originally quoted was in fact not a lie but a misunderstanding of the original quote from Newell to wit ...

"Mr Newell, who worked for Microsoft for 13 years on Windows, said his company had embraced the open-source software Linux as a "hedging strategy" designed to offset some of the damage Windows 8 was likely to do.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell.

"Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space." "

The above is taken fromt he BBC news article quoting Gabe Newell at the Casual Connect game conference in Seattle.How Valve intends to do this is not the issue.

Right, and im saying taht is a PR stunt (read lie) because its not possible to do.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by stayBlind  Steam is planning on moving to Linux because Windows 8 is, according to them, a catastrophThis would be awesome!
      Lies. flat out lies.
    Not flat out lies,more of not understanding what was said I think . Valve is certainly workign on a Linux client and want the whoel steam library to be available on it but they aren't totally moving to Linux only on PC's as "moving" implies.
      Steam already exists on linux with the support of wine. But with 90% of the catalogue developed on Microsoft directx technologies, Its going to be near impossible to have working products straight out the box. if ever. Before you say "Wine", Wine never gets it right straight out of the box, its going to be a PR nightmare with people demanding refunds for purchased products not working.
    I'm not trying to argue with you I'm trying to tell you what you originally quoted was in fact not a lie but a misunderstanding of the original quote from Newell to wit ...

"Mr Newell, who worked for Microsoft for 13 years on Windows, said his company had embraced the open-source software Linux as a "hedging strategy" designed to offset some of the damage Windows 8 was likely to do.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell.

"Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space." "

The above is taken fromt he BBC news article quoting Gabe Newell at the Casual Connect game conference in Seattle.How Valve intends to do this is not the issue.

Right, and im saying taht is a PR stunt (read lie) because its not possible to do.

I see what your saying but I wouldn't know,not a programmer and am not experienced in Linux .As it looks formt he outside your right coz most PC games are directx only so can't run natively in Linux except by Directx emulation but what Newell is saying is not that the games will run natively but that they are attempting to make getting them to run ,probably via emulation, easy on the user end.Whether that willb e through a native cleitn or via the standard windows one running via Wine was enver said either so ! was wrong on that probably.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by mWo4life

This is old news and the title is very missleading. Gabe wories that W8 will be disaster for Steam, as W8 will have its own app shop, thus rendering steam rather useless. Why would game devs put games on steam, if they can put them into app shop that is already in W8?

This has been my take on it as well.  The business is no longer about the OS, it's about the app store.  Microsoft wants to be the Apple store of its own market. 

The problem is that for the first time in years, Windows has actual competition.  The evolution of PCs and phones has converged at the tablet and suddenly the entire OS market is competitive for the first time in a generation: Windows has compete against Apple iOS, Google's Android and RIM's Blackberry. 

The two audiences locked into WIndows are legacy business apps and games.  Gabe is defending himself against the app store by presenting a credible threat to one of those locked-in audiences.  Big businesses often use linux the same way - have enough linux deployed in the company to be able to present a credible threat of a wholesale switch to Microsoft's salesmen.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

I'm still unable to figure out why exactly he thinks so, same with the Blizzard comment. Only thing that comes to mind is windows store taking a 30% revenue cut but that I believe is only for metro apps. 

Which is pretty much the same cut Valve take (35% one Indie dev quoted on PC Gamer)..

While I love Valve for a lot of reasons as a developer and a publisher, its not hard to see why Gabe has in my opinion a vested interest...

That said, aside from CD Projekt Red I still consider Valve one of the best destinations for my money.  IF I am going to put up with heavy handed DRM atleast the steam client provides me with enough convenience that I dont mind the inconvenience.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by DaezAster

A friend had the developer preview and it seemed to run well. I didn't like the new features they added but the win7 side seemed clean and efficient. How I wish the x in osx stood for the x in direct x, one can dream.....

The X in DirectX is basically a wildcard.  DirectX includes the APIs Direct3D, Direct2D, DirectCompute, and a number of other things.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by Pynda

Originally posted by VirgoThree
    our target demographic are older men (generally 40 or 50+) who do not know how to maintain their system.

I'll admit that I'm a 40 to 50 year old man who doesn't yet know a great deal about Windows 8. However I sure do know about building, maintaining, and operating my own computers. And the impression I'm getting with regards to Win 8 is that it is all about trying to work within the severely limited functionality of mobile gadgets. Even if that means dumbing down the traditional desktop operating system in an attempt to maintain a similarity of the interface. All this so the idiot younger generation can tweet, text, social network, and look cool without having to learn anything different.

Frankly, I wish Microsoft would continue to support serious and efficient desktop computing. Or at least continue to clearly delineate separate markets (i.e. with Windows Moblile). And let Apple worry about taking care of the fashionistas.

+1 on this.

To be frank, old farts or us near old fart status see this touch screen crap and cringe, whos grand idea was it to alienate the core customers that have been buying your products for the last 20 odd years? Leave the hipster social media crap to Apple.

Give me a prompt with powerful commands, I would pay good coin for a dos like OS that didnt have compatibility issues.

It's called linux.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Can somebody explain how Win8's app store will effect PC games?

I though all that App stuff on Win8 was optional and the link between the tablets and PC...

I heard you not even forced to use that new UI. so can somebody explain the issue here?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

Wasn't Win8 designed looking especially at mobile devices? I'm pretty sure it will suck for PCs, but for mobile devices it should be okay.

Cheers.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I though all that App stuff on Win8 was optional and the link between the tablets and PC...

I heard you not even forced to use that new UI. so can somebody explain the issue here?

The concern is that the Win8 app store will be so front facing that your average joe consumer is going to primarily default to the app store for all of their software purchases with out taking a second look at third parties. This obviously won't be true for all people, especially those who are aware of alternatives. But it definitely stifles the initial visibility of third parties such as steam. 

As for Metro UI you are going to have a hell of a time avoiding it. Metro UI completely replaces the start menu. There is no start menu in the traditional sense for Win8, so whatever you do in start, your pretty much going to do it in Metro.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

IF you take a look at this new up and coming  Fujitsu LifeBook T902 13.3 inch tablet laptop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJuYUdH50-Y which I would love to own, it shows Windowes 8 running on it, and looks freaking amazing!

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

To me W8 seems great for laptops with touchscreens and IPAD clones but my PC don´t have touchscreen which kinda makes me miss the good features so I will stay with W7 the next year at least.

Until desktop touchscreens becomes cheap (and if they becomes popular) I think most people will consider this as a mobile platform OS instead of a desktop OS.

I do agree with you but i have still a small hope that i will be able to controll my PC running windows 8 with a Tablet running W8.

Sitting on the sofa browsing the web watching movies do some work and all that with the tablet in my hands no worries about a place for the mouse and such that would be cool and i do hope it will be possible.

It would also be nice in case of you using your pc for multimedia purposes in multiple rooms (and if you do not yet with a tablet controll it would be easy to do)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by VirgoThree
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

The concern is that the Win8 app store will be so front facing that your average joe consumer is going to primarily default to the app store for all of their software purchases with out taking a second look at third parties. This obviously won't be true for all people, especially those who are aware of alternatives. But it definitely stifles the initial visibility of third parties such as steam. 

As for Metro UI you are going to have a hell of a time avoiding it. Metro UI completely replaces the start menu. There is no start menu in the traditional sense for Win8, so whatever you do in start, your pretty much going to do it in Metro.

thanks for clearing that up. didnt know the start menu was going away... well lets just hope this isnt as bad as it seem.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Not every iteration of Windows is a success as we all know. If Windows 8 is a failure, they will release Windows 9 lol.

However, in that article they mention that Windows can become a closed operating system. This is the worst thing that can ever happen. Please don't go the Apple way of having the need to control everything. 

I agree that real catastrophe would be if Windows go for closed OS. Like Mac OS, its great but the fact its closed and everything controled keeps away from it.

I have tested both Windows 8 Developer Preview and Consumer Preview and I have to say that I didnt see anything bad for gaming. Actualy it uses less memory than Windows 7 which is a good thing.

I personaly didnt like the new Start and the fact that they took off the Start Menu from the desktop.  But still I could manage to add a Start Menu as a toolbar, not as complete as the original one but still handy.

Also I didnt like the fullscreen apps on the new Start, they seem to load slower than the ones designed for desktop, but anyways I just dont have to use them if I dont want to.

All in all I think Windows 8 will be a good OS, it loads faster, uses less memory, it manages copying/erasing files better and even if I didnt like or have used the new Start very much, some times it is usefull.

But if Windows 8 really go closed OS, well than either we all will have to move to Linux (which could not be a bad thing in the end) or we just gonna have to crack and jailbreak the OS like we do with the iPhone LOL.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by sagil

More info at http://bless-scroll.com/.

if this information is true and Valve will move to Linux then hallellujah!.. im in for linux and gaming put together on the same sentence

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Here's a better article in regards to Gabe's comments:

http://allthingsd.com/20120725/valves-gabe-newell-on-the-future-of-games-wearable-computers-windows-8-and-more/

I don't really give a damn what Blizzard thinks on the issue. They've already proven to be someone obtuse on some of these issues.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

To me W8 seems great for laptops with touchscreens and IPAD clones but my PC don´t have touchscreen which kinda makes me miss the good features so I will stay with W7 the next year at least.

Until desktop touchscreens becomes cheap (and if they becomes popular) I think most people will consider this as a mobile platform OS instead of a desktop OS.

+1

we arent forced to install w8 , no new direct X at all ....so meh ....W7 all the way....

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by mWo4life This is old news and the title is very missleading. Gabe wories that W8 will be disaster for Steam, as W8 will have its own app shop, thus rendering steam rather useless. Why would game devs put games on steam, if they can put them into app shop that is already in W8?
    This has been my take on it as well.  The business is no longer about the OS, it's about the app store.  Microsoft wants to be the Apple store of its own market. 

The problem is that for the first time in years, Windows has actual competition.  The evolution of PCs and phones has converged at the tablet and suddenly the entire OS market is competitive for the first time in a generation: Windows has compete against Apple iOS, Google's Android and RIM's Blackberry. 

The two audiences locked into WIndows are legacy business apps and games.  Gabe is defending himself against the app store by presenting a credible threat to one of those locked-in audiences.  Big businesses often use linux the same way - have enough linux deployed in the company to be able to present a credible threat of a wholesale switch to Microsoft's salesmen.

The app store is only part of the important equation for Microsoft here. They want to get a much larger slice of the mobile market. The Windows phones are the least appealing devices to the average consumer as far as phones go.

Rim has stalled their production of new software and new devices creating a window (no pun intended) of opportunity for the Nokia/Windows product line. If Microsoft can integrate their mobile software well enough with their PC/Laptop products perhaps more consumers will switch to using their mobile devices. Integration of the Lumia product with the X Box was an interesting first step and perhaps the home computer is next. I would bet that business software would also be another logical step.

As of now RIM still has the largest portion of the corporate business pie. Every other phone developer is working very hard to create the security features that could grab some of that business. Some companies have already adopted other products but this has not become widespread yet.

I do not see Google's Android system staking a big claim in the corporate business sector anytime soon with their open software development and multiple manufacturer business model.

The mobile platform is not going to go away anytime soon. The big players are cramming a lot of technology into very small spaces and are getting better and better at it everyday. Some people are getting quad core phones before they get quad core computers. The app markets are potential gold mines for programmers and developers. The cost of development for a mobile app is practically nothing compared to development for the home and office computer. There is much less marketing cost due to the fact that the mobile companies have created one stop shopping for the products. Even the dumbest novelty app can generate an unbelievable revenue if the timing is right.

The mobile business is going to keep growing for a while yet.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Nadia

wasnt a twitter, that was Rob Pardo

https://twitter.com/Rob_Pardo/status/228235190705729536

source to Newell's interview transcript

Valve’s Gabe Newell discusses the frontiers of gaming, from wearable technology to “tongue controllers”

http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/25/valves-gabe-newell-talks/#bmb=1

When you look at the other questions: Why are we looking at wearable computers? Why did we hire Jerry Ellsworth? Why do we have people working on Linux? That’s the second part of the problem. In order for this innovation to happen, a bunch of things that haven’t been happening on closed platforms have to occur and continue to occur. Valve wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for the PC. Id Software, Epic, Zynga, Facebook, and Google wouldn’t have existed without the openness of the platform. I think there’s a strong temptation to close the platform. If people look at what they can accomplish when they can limit competitors’ access to their platform, they say, “Wow, that’s really exciting.” Even some of the people who have open platforms, like Microsoft, get really excited by the idea that Netflix has to pay them rent in order to be on the Internet.

That’s not how we got here, and I don’t think that’s a very attractive future. So we’re looking at the platform, and up until now we’ve been a free rider. We’ve been able to benefit from everything that’s gone into the PC and the Internet. Now we have to start finding ways that we can continue to make sure there are open platforms. So that involves a couple of different things.

One, we’re trying to make sure that Linux thrives. Our perception is that one of the big problems holding Linux back is the absence of games. I think that a lot of people — in their thinking about platforms — don’t realize how critical games are as a consumer driver of purchases and usage. So we’re going to continue working with the Linux distribution guys, shipping Steam, shipping our games, and making it as easy as possible for anybody who’s engaged with us — putting their games on Steam and getting those running on Linux, as well. It’s a hedging strategy.

I think that Windows 8 is kind of a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space. I think that we’re going to lose some of the top-tier PC [original equipment manufacturers]. They’ll exit the market. I think margins are going to be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that’s true, it’s going to be a good idea to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality. But when you start thinking about a platform, you have to address it. You have to address mobile. You have to look at what’s going to happen post-tablet. If you look at the mouse and keyboard, it was stable for about 25 years. I think touch will be stable for about 10 years. I think post-touch, and we’ll be stable for a really long time — for another 25 years. I think touch will be this intermediate….

Hard to disagree with that, the reason I run Windows is because I am a gamer. Linux is sweet but not something for gamers and using Linux would lower the price of the Steambox.

I really liked Kubuntu from 7.04 but without real game support it is rough. At the very least I'd have 1 machine running it in the household if there were easy game installs, though windows 7 ain't too shabby.

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

Look, I have a friend who's beta testing 8.  It is like Windows is trying to merge the smartphone and pc style os'.  It is better than 7 and waaay better than vista-which they renamed 7.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by TommiJyurro

Look, I have a friend who's beta testing 8.  It is like Windows is trying to merge the smartphone and pc style os'.  It is better than 7 and waaay better than vista-which they renamed 7.

7 is not Vista renamed, it is just the looks that are similar. Vista is a lot slower and use more memory.

Then again, merging PCs and smartphones is a bad thing in my world.