Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Oh how I HATE thee!

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I have subbed to this game 3 times since 2010, and never lasted more than a week before rage quiting and cancelling my 1 month subscription and wasting $15.

Here is my story....

I have been playing MMOs since 1999 and PcGames since 1992, and most recently I have been enjoying Freelancer on the Discovery 24/7 RP server/MOD with 200+ player plus multiplayer in a 24/7 persistant world.

Because of this, I got into the mood for space games even more and decided to give EVE Online yet another try.

I resubbed and noticed I had 3 million ISK which is not much in this gaem of Billionaires, but fitted my Catalyst Destoryer and attempted 3 different missions all with the same result...FAILURE.

No matter how I outfitted the Catalyst and later the recommended Frigate for these missions, the enemy in this LEVEL 1 missions did so much damage to me and I so little damage to them I had to run away. Lost my Catalyst and all its fittings including several weapons. I do not recall having this much difficulty the previous 2 times. This ship had all its weapon slots filled, etc etc and could do no damage!

Even after I switched to a recommended Frigate the same thing happened. I spoke to member of my corp and they could not make ends of it either.

Thus, after  spendng 2 of my 3 million ISK it was time to give up, as 1 million os not enough and there was no way og making money at this point doing missions. 

The nature of EVE is that even when you know how to use the EVE UI, if you leave for an extended time you will have to relearn it and thats a fact. Its like it has a life and mind of its own. What seemingly works one moment a certain way, doesnt in teh next. What seems logical at one moment, is illogical the next. IMHO any interface that is not intuitive and instead seemingly only efficient for Icelanders needs work.

Dont get me wrong, I want to love EVE Online and it seems its what every space junkie is looking for..their dream game. But if that was true we all would be playing it instead of games such as Freelancer, SINS, X3, etc etc.

For it is not a space junkies dream, it is a nightmare for most who try it and a dream for the minoruty who do.

The frustration is so paramount in this game that it ruins your mindset for the whole weekend and makes you wonder with punishment such as EVE, who needs electroshock therapy.

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Eve is the most hardcore and unforgiven mmo ever created.

I farmed for 2 weeks non stop to fly an Abadon and i got Worlds Colide mission, i enterd the 3td room and was instandly warp scrambled and lost my abadon...

2 full weeks of grinding gone in 45 minutes.

I dint quit tough, i regrinded the isk invested more time in Armor tanking and learned the hard way.

It makes Eve Eve :)

I got Gate camped, got raped in Hulkageddon in my Hulk who i just bought and lost the next day by a few catalysts, a ship that costs 1 mill versus a 490 million ship :P

Eve is hard, dont play it if you cant get over mistakes or griefers  as Eve will not protect the inocent and will not punish the criminals.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

A friend of mine described it as 'Farmville in space' and somehow, since then I 'get' the game and have been having fun. Still haven't found a Corporation that I like the look of though :/

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

I think Eve has its issues, but I wouldn't change it at all. I don't play it too often. I jump in for a couple months each year. Its got quite a few things to do.

What helped me in my last couple times joining is switching my ship to the vexor. It's easy to get the skills for, its decently powerful for the cost, and you can even do a bit of mining in it while protecting yourself too. Go drones! heheh

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

I tried two times for a month, and then my longest stretch was 7 months, stopped about 2 months ago.

The thing with Eve is, theres a lot you can do, but a lot of it isn't fun.  The whole losing your very expensive ship thing never bugged me, but even pvp isn't exactly action packed and engaging, so it all got old after a bit.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

actually eve online has one major problem:

indirect flight / steering.

if that doesnt turn you off, and you can do the required maths to propperly equip your ship, it's a fine game :)

i am usualy more into the dogfight style of flight - incase anyone remembers, elite, first part.... not like elite frontiers :P

thats what usualy drives me away after some time again.

otherwise, eve is just a nice game :)

ps: eve is pure logic. no illogic here.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• psycrospsycros Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Mothanos
    Eve is hard, dont play it if you cant get over mistakes or griefers  as Eve will not protect the inocent and will not punish the criminals.

Then why would anyone except pirates play it?  The game caters to them and them alone.  We now know that PvE players are abandoning EVE in droves.  What happens when their all gone?  Will CCP finally make some attempt at balancing the game or simply get rid of highsec?  Its a shame that the industry is run by idiots who look at EVE's pitiful subscriber base and say, "well, clearly nobody wants a serious space game in an original universe".  They aren't even smart enough to realize its because EVE is a terrible game.  The first EVE clone that makes some attempt at accomodating all playstyles will make a fortune.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There are Corperations that hunt pirates also !!!

its a dog eat dog world  ;)

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Thane

if that doesnt turn you off, and you can do the required maths to propperly equip your ship, it's a fine game :)

i am usualy more into the dogfight style of flight - incase anyone remembers, elite, first part.... not like elite frontiers :P

thats what usualy drives me away after some time again.

otherwise, eve is just a nice game :)

ps: eve is pure logic. no illogic here.

This ^

I always somehow thought that EVE with the whole Incarna hype over the years would turn into the first MMO to actually do it massively on land and in space I always envisioned them adding more direct controls to your ship and eventually expanding the world to also allow you to control your avatar and maybe even build and live on each planet, but I highly doubt that will ever happen.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Use eve-survival.org to set up mission specific tanks.

Also, gm's not intervening to protect you from pirates/scammers does not mean that the game caters to those groups, it just means that you're on your own and don't be a fool.

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Also, gm's not intervening to protect you from pirates/scammers does not mean that the game caters to those groups, it just means that you're on your own and don't be a fool.

I used that site.....my ship was almost destroyed.

As with AoC (Age of Conan) and a few others, if you didnt play from the get go or somehow survived the past years, you will die to teh point of realizing new players are fodder for the EVE die hards who paid 2 years of subs to get enough money to play for free, i.e. buy game time with PLEX. Their goal is to make new players quit and farm those dumb enough to start playing.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I get that you like dogfighting games - so do I.  However ships that you dogfight in are small, like Battlestar Galactica fighters, with rapid-fing, relatively short-range weapons.   The majority of ships in Eve are several thousand (if not many thousands) of tons in weight and are more like ponderous weapon platforms, with some weapons routinely having ranges of 70km to 100km+ (like my beloved missile boat).  The idea of ships that size 'dogfighting' is ridiculous to contemplate.  Point and click works well for ships that size in my opinion.

I cannot fathom why people seem to think space combat should always be dogfighting.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Majority of players I encountered in Eve told me they didn't play Eve because it was good, but because there was nothing else and it was "good enough". It has its faults.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Is Battlestar Galactica any good?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

I get that you like dogfighting games - so do I.  However ships that you dogfight in are small, like Battlestar Galactica fighters, with rapid-fing, relatively short-range weapons.   The majority of ships in Eve are several thousand (if not many thousands) of tons in weight and are more like ponderous weapon platforms, with some weapons routinely having ranges of 70km to 100km+ (like my beloved missile boat).  The idea of ships that size 'dogfighting' is ridiculous to contemplate.  Point and click works well for ships that size in my opinion.

I cannot fathom why people seem to think space combat should always be dogfighting.

and i cannot understand why people try to tell me what to like and what not again and again :)

that's what i like. no valueing done here. it's just what i prefer.

and yes, i'd rather fly with an executioner style ship than a harbinger, if there would be any use in it :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Dibdabs

EVE is more like a 3 dimensional naval simulator, and the ships move like large water vessels, slow and ponderously which is to be expected.

Not quite sure what the OP's issue is, wondering if he did all the tutorials because normally you come out of those with enough skills and gear to handle level 1 missions.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Level 1 missions are like the easiest thing ever.

What do you do? Fit all DPS and charge into 30 enemy ships?

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Is Battlestar Galactica any good?

No. Browsing the manual it looks great but actual gameplay felt quite awful.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

made my day, the bit where someone fails to do a level 1 mission in a destroyer of all things.. priceless, that level of failness just isnt possible, its like, your riding a bicycle with stabilisers on and you still managed to fall over... i can only guess at the fits used to achieve this.. maybe the OP was using mining lasers...  but.. no just not possible.. you cannot fail a level 1 mission in a destroyer.. even a level 2 mission would only give you a bit of trouble in one.. so i have to call BS on this one, it can't be true.. image

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Phry

made my day, the bit where someone fails to do a level 1 mission in a destroyer of all things.. priceless, that level of failness just isnt possible, its like, your riding a bicycle with stabilisers on and you still managed to fall over... i can only guess at the fits used to achieve this.. maybe the OP was using mining lasers...  but.. no just not possible.. you cannot fail a level 1 mission in a destroyer.. even a level 2 mission would only give you a bit of trouble in one.. so i have to call BS on this one, it can't be true.. image

Now now, he said he was using the right weapons and everything.  Can't blame him for forgetting ammo!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Eve is the most hardcore and unforgiven mmo ever created.

I farmed for 2 weeks non stop to fly an Abadon and i got Worlds Colide mission, i enterd the 3td room and was instandly warp scrambled and lost my abadon...

2 full weeks of grinding gone in 45 minutes.

I dint quit tough, i regrinded the isk invested more time in Armor tanking and learned the hard way.

It makes Eve Eve :)

I got Gate camped, got raped in Hulkageddon in my Hulk who i just bought and lost the next day by a few catalysts, a ship that costs 1 mill versus a 490 million ship :P

Well said Mothanos. EvE Online is a MMO that I have loved the most, and have despised the most, of all MMOs.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

As with AoC (Age of Conan) and a few others, if you didnt play from the get go or somehow survived the past years, you will die to teh point of realizing new players are fodder for the EVE die hards who paid 2 years of subs to get enough money to play for free, i.e. buy game time with PLEX. Their goal is to make new players quit and farm those dumb enough to start playing.

If you ever decide to pick it up again, I recommend checking out Eve University.  I had a somewhat similar experience at one point in time, I thought the game was very frustrating.  Came back to the game because I knew it was something I would like, joined Eve University and actually learned how the game worked and it just clicked.  The uni is great, they probably would have replaced that catalyst you lost for free and then taught you have to fix it.  There are tons of people to make new friends with, lots of resources to learn about how to play the game, classes, etc.  Next time at least join their public channel.  You can ask any questiion you want and actually get a decent answer, it's leagues better than rookie help or the regular help channel.  You can even get in on PvP action most likely immediately :) 

Space is harsh mistress at times....fly dangeriously!

Also, one friend of mine in his first ten days of play had 10 billion isk, and multiple capital ships.  Enough to keep him playing for two years at least without paying real money if he so chose.

Another friend of mine started playing earlier this year, and now funds gametime completely with PLEX.

Just some counter examples to your statement about 2 years of subs to build up isk.

If you are in the right corporations, or play very smart, you'll find yourself innundated with so much isk you'll be spacerich in no time.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Also, one friend of mine in his first ten days of play had 10 billion isk, and multiple capital ships.  Enough to keep him playing for two years at least without paying real money if he so chose.

Another friend of mine started playing earlier this year, and now funds gametime completely with PLEX.

Just some counter examples to your statement about 2 years of subs to build up isk.

If you are in the right corporations, or play very smart, you'll find yourself innundated with so much isk you'll be spacerich in no time.

Your friends are good examples of people that are talented in making money, and that actually enjoy making money. Not all players are that way though.

EvE is a MMO where if you are a Player like the friends you mentioned then you will do well. If however you don't understand making money much, or actually hate making money (in other words you are opposed to the concept of money), then you won't ever be anything more than an "employee" of a Corp. The ingame world of EvE is built upon Money (ISK) from a roleplay standpoint as well as a practical standpoint. A Player needs some kind of ability with money.

EvE seperates the Players good with money from the Players bad with money. This is does very well.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Your friends are good examples of people that are talented in making money, and that actually enjoy making money. Not all players are that way though.

EvE is a MMO where if you are a Player like the friends you mentioned then you will do well. If however you don't understand making money much, or actually hate making money (in other words you are opposed to the concept of money), then you won't ever be anything more than an "employee" of a Corp. The ingame world of EvE is built upon Money (ISK) from a roleplay standpoint as well as a practical standpoint. A Player needs some kind of ability with money.

EvE seperates the Players good with money from the Players bad with money. This is does very well.

Players opposed to making money in EVE?  That just strikes me as odd, and I've certainly never met anyone like that.

It's kinda like a person who plays Lineage 2 and stays at level 1 because they're opposed to levelling, or a person who plays Everquest, but is opposed to questing.  Or even a person who plays Diablo, but is opposed to collecting items.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    good riddance