Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 needs one thing to make WvW as fun and as rewarding as DAoC's

Comments

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    Originally posted by 5hadow

This has nothing to do with DAOC

but gw 1 had a nice reward system for some of the available pvp

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero_(title)

any idea if gw2 will have something similar?

Havent found anything on it

sPvP does but WvW doesn't

Wrong there are achievements for WvW i saw it on the achievements i evena made a post on the GW2 forums that the WvW number of kills sound be moved from the Monthly achievements in to the WvW section

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by William12

*snip*

With that said.   Only a minority are motivated by cosmetic items and story or gameplay itself.  ONCE you're max level and have played it over and over you need a motivation beyond that something to make your time invested into your character worth it.

No gear grind the fanboys say omg this game is great no more gear grinds and I do understand it , but maority yes MAJORITY of people are motivated by the gear grind the problem is past games made that grind SOOOO boring because the gameplay was boring.  GW2 combat is fun and interesting a gear grind in GW2 would not of been as boring for most people because of this.   

*snip*

Having a gear grind forced on you doesn't make that gear grind any more fun or interesting. If you find that fun then do it. If you don't find that fun then don't. Why do you need a carrot-on-a-stick to keep on playing over and over again? If it's no longer fun then play something else.

imageimage
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by evilastro

Also I should add that the original Guild Wars had a robust GvG and Region Vs Region competition without needing to give anyone an innate advantage over people who were not high ranked. The rewards were titles and cosmetic stuff.

If a game is fun, people will play it. Not everyone needs a carrot on a stick to participate, especially not serious PvPers who are in it for the challenge, not just for easy kills on players who didnt stand a chance.

Indeed.

Those who ask for RPG-like progression are forgetting how popular games like Call of Duty and League of Legends are....

last time I checked LoL and CoD didn't advertise themselves as RPGs...

While GW2 does...

Hmmmm....

If an FPS didn't have guns I'd probably be dismayed. 

(Mirrors edge sucked btw)

And since when do RPGs need constant progression? Maybe you haven't played many great RPGs out there that actually stop progressing after a while, there is ALWAYS a limit. Why should an MMO-RPG be limitless?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    I never continued playing any of those rpgs once I was fully progressed. MMOs rely on people to continue playing.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Also I should add that the original Guild Wars had a robust GvG and Region Vs Region competition without needing to give anyone an innate advantage over people who were not high ranked. The rewards were titles and cosmetic stuff.

If a game is fun, people will play it. Not everyone needs a carrot on a stick to participate, especially not serious PvPers who are in it for the challenge, not just for easy kills on players who didnt stand a chance.

Indeed.

Those who ask for RPG-like progression are forgetting how popular games like Call of Duty and League of Legends are....

So your point is that people should not look for "RPG-like progression" in their MMORPG...

Stunning logic.. absolutely stunning.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

people seem to forget DND and that once your charecter becomes a god in DND you tend to stop playing the charecter.

the problem wiht the progression system used in for example WOW is that you need to constantly add to keep the highest levels entertained and you neglect the lower levels and mid levels. 

Really rather not have everything they add be for 80's only

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Indeed.

So your point is that people should not look for "RPG-like progression" in their MMORPG...

Most RPGs have a cap as well..... Last I checked there IS RPG-like progression, only it stops after a while, which is a good thing

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

You know where RPGs come from? From pen and paper games. You know what's really annoying to me? That large part of gaming crowd considers RPG to be stats. It's not. It's not Stats And Numbers Playing Game depiste how much some people want to make it be that way. It's Role Playing Game. You play Role. Stats only exist to outline rules rules, best pen and paper sessions were games where we ignored that and just had, you know, fun. I know. Shocking. 

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Or they could make the game more about FUN and not carrots.

Once the game has carrots they will be forced to continue to grow new ones instead of focusing on keeping the game fun. This genre suffers from too many players that never learn...if something is fun, youll want to keep doing it...if something rewards an item, you feel like you HAVE TO keep doing it.

Ask yourself this. When leveling during the BWE were you doing those events for an item? Were you doing it for the XP? Where you doing it because it was there? Were you doing it because it was actually FUN?

Odds are, if you did some for FUN, you stuck around to do it at least one more time...and you "more than likely" didnt do ANY of them more than once if you were not doing it for fun. The same should apply for PvP, it should be for FUN. PvP should never be for items, ranks or buffs. In fact, rewarding a buff to a winning side was always moronic sounding to me...nothing worse than giving even more power to the more powerful side to make sure the imbalance grows!

Originally posted by Ezhae

You know where RPGs come from? From pen and paper games. You know what's really annoying to me? That large part of gaming crowd considers RPG to be stats. It's not. It's not Stats And Numbers Playing Game depiste how much some people want to make it be that way. It's Role Playing Game. You play Role. Stats only exist to outline rules rules, best pen and paper sessions were games where we ignored that and just had, you know, fun. I know. Shocking. 

Once people/companies regarded Diablo as an RPG (even action-RPG) the whole genre fell apart....

I agree with you, having progression (gear/level) is NOT an RPG.

Indeed.

Most RPGs have a cap as well..... Last I checked there IS RPG-like progression, only it stops after a while, which is a good thing

Which is your opinion of course, and I can't take that away from you.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Do we really want to star the "My RPG cred is better/longer than yours"?

That aside, the problem with the way PvP is handled in games is that it more closely resembles Call of Duty than it does an RPG.   A large portion of players simply want an online battle arena.  That's fine, but not what I would prefer and to me, and design decision that makes a game more of an online battle arena is a bad thing. I would prefer Ultima Online to Super StreetFighter online. Your opinions may differ.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

What I'd love to see in WvW is something that rewards 'HEROES of the WAR', the people who really have a significant impact in battles.

Aside from a certain visual cue to know who these Captains and Generals/Warlords are such as a special cape or something, I'd love to see them be able to earn a few special abilities such as a BANNER which they can place for special boosts for their side and perhaps they can only place it once per hour and it only lasts 5-10 minutes but it could be something to really change the course of a fight.

Or even just an ability like an instant RALLY where all the dead allies in an area are raised to full and perhaps this kind of elite skill can be used once per day or something.

Either way I'm totally in support of temporary benefit abilities with which these 'heroes' can aid their army.  Be it a banner, an elite ability or spawning a siege golem/weapon or whatever.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    I am probably a minority here but i actually liked how vanilla wow had the officers lounge and ranks for the server. I would like to see that but intead of access to weapons give cosmetic tambards or something like the bank golem they have for pre orders. Say a knight commander gets a tabard and something class specific like a cosmetic change for the warrior helm that you picked at creation.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    On a side note. I like progression. I just dont like progression that lopsides combat. That keeps the weak weak and has the sideeffect of lessing my skill by not keeping me competitive unless someone else is equal or greater gear level than me. Then i am the weak held in check.
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

I think a better idea for end game WvW is to be able to earn stuff that will help your alts. some sort of currency that you can buy good low lvl pve gear thats bind to account.

That would be enough to motivate me to continue to play with an end lvl toon

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

Originally posted by DeaconX

What I'd love to see in WvW is something that rewards 'HEROES of the WAR', the people who really have a significant impact in battles.

Aside from a certain visual cue to know who these Captains and Generals/Warlords are such as a special cape or something, I'd love to see them be able to earn a few special abilities such as a BANNER which they can place for special boosts for their side and perhaps they can only place it once per hour and it only lasts 5-10 minutes but it could be something to really change the course of a fight.

Or even just an ability like an instant RALLY where all the dead allies in an area are raised to full and perhaps this kind of elite skill can be used once per day or something.

Either way I'm totally in support of temporary benefit abilities with which these 'heroes' can aid their army.  Be it a banner, an elite ability or spawning a siege golem/weapon or whatever.

You know there are banners that guilds can put near keeps/camps they own to boost defenses/offense/karma gain of people there? 

As for rezzing banner, that's already kind of taken care by Warrior skills (I Will Avenge You shout can rally nearby allies when you kill opponent while under the buff and there is Elite banner that can revive nearby allies) so adding another item/para-skill liek that would be just duplicating of already existing mechanics. 

If you want to be noticed there is always the Commander book for 100 gold that makes you visible for your side and helps with co ordination of larger groups

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

what I'd like is just a slightly more complicated siege mechanic with like ladders and base infiltration and sabotage, a bit more then smash the door.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by sinloi

what I'd like is just a slightly more complicated siege mechanic with like ladders and base infiltration and sabotage, a bit more then smash the door.

What looks nice on the paper may notwork very well in game, nobody will siege anymore, everybody will just build ladders to bypass defenses.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

You can smash walls too. We took one of the keeps outer walls by faking an assault on the most obvious door and a small group made a hole in their walls way to the side, only then leaving few people to barrel down the door eventually to have quicker entry once we held the outer keep region. 

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by otinanai123

95%+ of players are motivated by personal progression.

This is also why 95% of team-based PvP-centric MMOs are complete and utter crap.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Voted. Yes

People! I dont like the comments im reading XD. I believe the poll was for some "type" of progression similiar to DaoC not a copy and paste. Nobody ever had to "grind RR points" in daoc ... open world RvR was a blast and at the end of the day "oh look iv gained 3 realm ranks". I would want to try out my new skills I earned the next day... I had a sense of accomplishment from honoring my realm and "advancing".

It doesnt have to be some massive skill gain ... it can be simple. Any incentive would be nice...

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    They should really have an AA system to give people an idea of eternal progression, but a smart system that does not add to much power but adds more diversity, making a class wider instead of higher.

But from my DAoC experience i know that the demand for such a system will become stronger and stronger untill they need to add something before they have another Lurikeen uprising at their hands.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

You can smash walls too. We took one of the keeps outer walls by faking an assault on the most obvious door and a small group made a hole in their walls way to the side, only then leaving few people to barrel down the door eventually to have quicker entry once we held the outer keep region. 

One way that works pretty well is to first capture one of the smaller keeps (and secure a supply depot of course), and then build balistas in the smaller keep to smash the outer and inner walls of the bigger keep.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by William12

the #1 reason I believe GW2 will not be as sucessful as it could be is character progresion. 

I love the combat and the story and think the game is awesome so you fanboys don't flame me.

With that said.   Only a minority are motivated by cosmetic items and story or gameplay itself.  ONCE you're max level and have played it over and over you need a motivation beyond that something to make your time invested into your character worth it.

No gear grind the fanboys say omg this game is great no more gear grinds and I do understand it , but maority yes MAJORITY of people are motivated by the gear grind the problem is past games made that grind SOOOO boring because the gameplay was boring.  GW2 combat is fun and interesting a gear grind in GW2 would not of been as boring for most people because of this.   

The only plus is you can buy the game and play the story and have fun and not be tied to a monthly fee or feel obligated to keep playing because you're paying 15$ a month which will also hurt the playerbase.

Before one of the fanboys comes in and says they will play for the fun of it.  How long can you do something over and over every day every week before it is no longer fun  ?  People are human nothing remains fun for that long.  The truth is WvWvW is a zerg fest and if you have played any beta weekends you would know this.

The simple act of using the term "fanboys" in your post- let alone using it three times -shows you're completely unable to have any sort of debate, and that your post has no merit. It's just another case of "us guys who are right versus the fanboys who don't get it" to you. Stop using that term and perhaps you'll be taken more seriously more often.