Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 needs one thing to make WvW as fun and as rewarding as DAoC's

Comments

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

They are global buff already given for your RvsR success. I personally didn't even looked into this but it exist, the global buff are listed in the hero page under pvp tab. And for rank, well i'm pretty sure they will post the result each time or on the GW2 web site, or maybe even in game. I don't know if it can be called a rank system though.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    Not entirely correct Korrigan. The reason was WoW. Gear grind galore. Easy Internet access was not the reason it was a requirement.

He is right on this, go read few things about the development of cable and adsl between those years and the internet boom, wikipedia explain this pretty well.

Internet boom sustained Wow success not the way around, people weren't taking the cable and adsl to play Wow, they played Wow because they had cheap and quick internet.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by otinanai123

Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    I honestly don't see the point of WvWing at 80 if there is no rank system. What we learned from DAoC is that "server pride" motivates very few people. 95%+ of players are motivated by personal progression.

guess you never understood quake then eh? :)

anyway, RR in GW2:

in daoc they have been used to buy better armor and stuff with stats and stuff, in GW2 they'd just be to buy gfaphics.,.. you think that would motivate those little item whores? :)

better armor? You're thinking of WAR. In DAoC it got you better/more PvP skills.

Similar in GW 2 .... You still earn exp and skill points at cap.
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    If your version was correct today wow:s player base wouldn't be as large as it today. People would have moved on to next big thing. Easy Internet access facilitated wow:s success. To say that people play wow only because they have Internet is ludicrous.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Nope. Won't work with the ideology behind GW2. See, the idea is, and many so called "hardcore" gamers dislike it, that playing more doesn't give you in-game advantage. Once you have same level you pretty much have same stats and access to same skill pools within given class. There is nothing that would make you more powerful because you happen to be able to play 12 hours a day versus someone able to only play 2-4 hours a day. 

Ofcourse there will be lsight differences, and people who spend more time will have easier access to the most expensive toys like Siege Golems, but they will still be limited by WvWvW mechanics - like supply as well as smart play - like flanking. 

Any AA, if to trust ANets ideas, should be limited to simply cosmetic rewards. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The DAoC realm abilities is a self explanatory example of why I don't want any of that stuff in GW2. The last thing the game needs is some mechanic that makes elder character more powerful than new characters or alts, when it has managed to avoid that until now.

Yes.. why would we ever want to put the actual RPG progression in our RPG?  It exists in all the other parts of the game EXCEPT for this one.  For most of the game if you are level 10 you will stay level 10.. and adventure in a level 10 area.  For this part of the game it's POOF now you are level 80!!!

It's the one very bad design decision that I have seen.  They actually do not need RAs, they simply need to stop the insta-leveling of characters.  They should actually put some content in for PvE (optional) to entice folks of all levels to head into the mists.  Your own land would have lower level mobs, and would get progressively higher as you moved further out.

The problem with WvWvW right now is that it takes the RPG and turns it into an arcade siege warfare simulator.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

The DAoC realm abilities is a self explanatory example of why I don't want any of that stuff in GW2. The last thing the game needs is some mechanic that makes elder character more powerful than new characters or alts, when it has managed to avoid that until now.

Yes.. why would we ever want to put the actual RPG progression in our RPG?  It exists in all the other parts of the game EXCEPT for this one.  For most of the game if you are level 10 you will stay level 10.. and adventure in a level 10 area.  For this part of the game it's POOF now you are level 80!!!

It's the one very bad design decision that I have seen.  They actually do not need RAs, they simply need to stop the insta-leveling of characters.  They should actually put some content in for PvE (optional) to entice folks of all levels to head into the mists.  Your own land would have lower level mobs, and would get progressively higher as you moved further out.

The problem with WvWvW right now is that it takes the RPG and turns it into an arcade siege warfare simulator.

My rebutal.....tarren mill before cata.....because I loved trying to level while an 80 rogue stalks me like some screwed up elven reenactment of the most dangerous game.

at it's base level roleplaying means playing a role, it doesnt need to mean a disgaea based level system.

is your role a support engineer healing with potions or being more offensive with a flamethrower.

is your necromancer one who relies heavily on minions, marks or wells?

is your warrior more of a commander inspiring allies with shouts and banners, or is he more the berserker rushing in with an axe and a mace to bust skulls?

and in fact Roleplaying more means that actually playing your character not neccasarilly leveling the charecter. As in personality backstory etc.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

That's exactly the design decision lots of people love about Guild Wars 2 so it is not a bad decision. Making elder players more powerful would be just wrong.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

NO.

The less rewards.... the more chances i have to get into WvWvW without queues! :)

Originally posted by sinloi

My rebutal.....tarren mill before cata.....because I loved trying to level while an 80 rogue stalks me like some screwed up elven reenactment of the most dangerous game.

My rebuttal...Tarren Mill was open world... "The Mists" are not, and thus the "optional" point I made.  It would be more akin to DAoC frontiers where you COULD go out to grind your mobs in the frontiers for extra XP, but had the risk of dying to PvP.  You didn't want that risk you could happilly stay in your land and quest/grind all you wanted. 

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

That's because you're stuck into VERTICAL rpg progression.... GW2 is about HORIZONTAL rpg progression.

It's not bad design. It's actually a VERY good design. Great choice by Arenanet.

Originally posted by seridan

That's exactly the design decision lots of people love about Guild Wars 2 so it is not a bad decision. Making elder players more powerful would be just wrong.

1. I might dispute that point but for the sake of the thread happilly concede

2. Simply because more people like something (or think they will) does not make something good or bad (queue the requisit 10-15 real world comparisons here)

3. We will find out a few months after launch if it was a good or bad idea when we see how many people are active in WvW.

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by sinloi

My rebuttal...Tarren Mill was open world... "The Mists" are not, and thus the "optional" point I made.  It would be more akin to DAoC frontiers where you COULD go out to grind your mobs in the frontiers for extra XP, but had the risk of dying to PvP.  You didn't want that risk you could happilly stay in your land and quest/grind all you wanted. 

The reason I brought that up is that due to repair costs and the simple time hassel of death, doing it this way would discourage lowbies from going into the mists rather then encourage. 

The method as it currently stands encourages players of all levels to join the fun.

and best yet the actual level 80s still have an advantage via experience and access to more skills.

if I enter the mists at level 5 I will have my weapon skills and one beginner slot power.

you'll have your elites.

and the problem still remains, to bring up another wow example Honor.

You got honor for beating higher levels, but you lost none for beating up lower levels. what's to stop the high levles from ganking the lowbies and inevitablly driving them away from the mists.

A bad experience at level 5-10 will inevitbally mean they probably wont go back at level 80.

Originally posted by otacu

That's because you're stuck into VERTICAL rpg progression.... GW2 is about HORIZONTAL rpg progression.

It's not bad design. It's actually a VERY good design. Great choice by Arenanet.

So please explain to me how leveling from 1-80 instantly to participate in WvWvW is HORIZONTAL progression?

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

grinding rr skills? ugh... no thanks.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    Maybe there was a reason millions didn't play back then, huh?

It was a different time and generation of gamers.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Currently in WvW you get xp ( post 80 xp gains acquire more skill points which is an endgame currency), money, karma (another form of currency), items, and server bonuses. What more do you people want?

Cheers!

Oh, and Iforgot achievements, gathering, and titles as well. There are tons of reasons for the lvl 80 to play WvW.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

PVP for the sake of PVP won't keep many people for long, a simple truth.

Their idea of pure balance instead of RPG styled progression is going to really hurt their retention rate... good thing they don't have a subscritption fee.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I dont want any power adding things to PvP. Keep it balanced.

What would be good was if you got access to a dungeon (or a few dungeons) while your realm holds the lead in the eternal battlefield. Like the Underworld in GW1, with prestige looking armor and cool stuff to get.

And if active participants got prestige items by doing well in the server ranking (over and above what you get from your personal PvP rank).

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

You don't think that is going to happen?   Even with level balancing in WvW, the people who are level 80 will have advantages over someone who is level 20 but has been boosted to level 80.  Armor, hp, resistances, weapons bonuses

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm reserving judgement about WvW because I didn't have a chance to dive into it much during the BWE's.  I personally don't feel a huge draw toward it, but I'm willing to give it a shot.  Structured PvP is much more attractive to me at this point.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Also I should add that the original Guild Wars had a robust GvG and Region Vs Region competition without needing to give anyone an innate advantage over people who were not high ranked. The rewards were titles and cosmetic stuff.

If a game is fun, people will play it. Not everyone needs a carrot on a stick to participate, especially not serious PvPers who are in it for the challenge, not just for easy kills on players who didnt stand a chance.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by evilastro

Also I should add that the original Guild Wars had a robust GvG and Region Vs Region competition without needing to give anyone an innate advantage over people who were not high ranked. The rewards were titles and cosmetic stuff.

If a game is fun, people will play it. Not everyone needs a carrot on a stick to participate, especially not serious PvPers who are in it for the challenge, not just for easy kills on players who didnt stand a chance.

Indeed.

Those who ask for RPG-like progression are forgetting how popular games like Call of Duty and League of Legends are....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

You already get gear.

Tokens can drop, you an exchange them for WvWvW gear.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by evilastro

Indeed.

Those who ask for RPG-like progression are forgetting how popular games like Call of Duty and League of Legends are....

last time I checked LoL and CoD didn't advertise themselves as RPGs...

While GW2 does...

Hmmmm....

If an FPS didn't have guns I'd probably be dismayed. 

(Mirrors edge sucked btw)