Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the best pvp?

Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

What mmorpg has the best pvp?

Comments

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Released games:

DAoC (A little playerbase, and a game that doesnt hold your hand. Trial and error and no tutorials etc.).

WAR Online (Great RvR, with castle siege etc.)

Upcomming games:

Guild Wars 2 (WvWvW - 1000 vs 1000 vs 1000, castle sieges, "battlegrounds")

War Online is without a doubt a great game, but with Mythic behind it - even though Bioware has taken over - the game and its name has taken critical damage from the very bad launch by EA. Still some active players but its rarely updated and more people are leaving rather than joining.

My personal best guess would be GW2. I myself look forward to the PvP GW2 will bring. Hopefully I will get the War Online feeling once again. at least I liked WvWvW in the beta.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Go outside and punch someone in the face.

lololoololololololololololololol.

But srsly. You can't expect a singular answer to this question.  Oh wait... yes there is one.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    If you are looking for High population then I would wait until 25th of Aug and play gw2. Until then i would play something free 2 play
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

There was a time when my answer would've been Darkfall, but with the transition to 2.0 and no idea how the population is these days I have no solid answer for you.  People seem to be happy with GW2 pvp, I've yet to try it myself so maybe look into that.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Consetual PvP- Dark Age of Camelot

FFA PVP - Toss up between Darkfall and Eve.

Originally posted by Zooce

There was a time when my answer would've been Darkfall, but with the transition to 2.0 and no idea how the population is these days I have no solid answer for you.  People seem to be happy with GW2 pvp, I've yet to try it myself so maybe look into that.

Population is currently booming.

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

Whichever one you have the most fun PvPing in.  Of course that differs from player to player.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by KyutaSyuko

Whichever one you have the most fun PvPing in.  Of course that differs from player to player.

Sorry... but there are straight up bad PvP systems out there. Usually the worst are found on the PvP servers of PvE MMOs like WoW and EQ, where no aspects of the game were made with PvP in mind.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

As of right now if you want to pvp from start to finish, WAR is a good choice for open world pvp, pve is pretty much non-existant now and all action takes place in the rvr lakes, and you can start straight from level 1.  A decent game to fill in the gaps until GW2.

• SykozenSykozen Member UncommonPosts: 12

I started playing Darfall and I'm enjoying it pretty much. Since the promotion the population raised from what I heard and is still increasing. My city is getting raid almost everyday by other players.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Gymrat313

MMORPG.com right before and after a game is released.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I used to like WoW pvp until you basically HAD to have BoA heirlooms to survive from 10 - 70.

I'm impressed by GW2 pvp.  If you like open world pvp, you could check out WvW, it's the next best thing.  If you like ganking, there probably aren't as many options available to you (to that end, Tera is quite a gankfest on the pvp servers from what I hear).

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Planetside 2

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by MMOman101

you sir made my day

on topic- DAOC pvp was pretty decent but i do not think it was the best personally I give that honor to shadowbane even though it was buggy and could make you pull your hair out.

Warhammer online i felt had better pvp in daoc myself and im sure hundreds will disagree but I enjoyed the game for not having it be all about your bard/skald/minstrel + healer/chantor/sorc for aoe mez. and thats what DAOC really truely was at its core, who could get their mes off in 8 mans first and who would pop determination first and waste cooldowns.

Warhammer at least did away with the huge amount of c/c timer , yes it had its own annoying c/c but at least you could actually control your charcter and not come down to blowing cooldowns.War suffered from unbalanced classes and two faction pvp system that on every server was dominated by realm hoppers for FOTM realm points and morons that couldnt stand losing.

Shadowbane had the best full loot pvp of any game out there because it wasnt just a shitty community it actually had a decent one unlike mortal online and darkfall . Politics played into shadowbane and you couldnt just go around ganking on your main toon with a guild flag up and not expect retaliation. More full pvp games need conflict like shadowbane had and not this stupid crap like darkfall online or mortal has but actual conflict large scale not just ganking noobies and farmers.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Depends what you are looking for really. I'd personally say Darkfall and then EVE (not been in GW2 beta so can't comment on that). But it is highly subjective, the next person could hate those two games and prefer ranked arenas in WoW.

Unless you are a fan of DF or EVE, i'd probably stick with mobas/fps/rts until GW2/PS2 come out and give them a try.

I would have to say WAR was pretty dire though in both the scenarios and the lakes. Been a good while since I played it though.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

I had a good laugh...from the feedback I got, I think I am going to give WAR a try.  

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

If you want open world - DAOC or EVE

If you want arena - GW2

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

Open world pvp in warhammer was just keep trading, there really wasn't much pvp when I played that piece of crap. Best pvp game ever made was Dark Age of Camelot.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Charas

Planetside 2

This is where PvP in a prpetual world will be happening, everything else is just a superfluous button masher.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• NateEssexNateEssex Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by cronius77

you sir made my day

on topic- DAOC pvp was pretty decent but i do not think it was the best personally I give that honor to shadowbane even though it was buggy and could make you pull your hair out.

Warhammer online i felt had better pvp in daoc myself and im sure hundreds will disagree but I enjoyed the game for not having it be all about your bard/skald/minstrel + healer/chantor/sorc for aoe mez. and thats what DAOC really truely was at its core, who could get their mes off in 8 mans first and who would pop determination first and waste cooldowns.

Warhammer at least did away with the huge amount of c/c timer , yes it had its own annoying c/c but at least you could actually control your charcter and not come down to blowing cooldowns.War suffered from unbalanced classes and two faction pvp system that on every server was dominated by realm hoppers for FOTM realm points and morons that couldnt stand losing.

Shadowbane had the best full loot pvp of any game out there because it wasnt just a shitty community it actually had a decent one unlike mortal online and darkfall . Politics played into shadowbane and you couldnt just go around ganking on your main toon with a guild flag up and not expect retaliation. More full pvp games need conflict like shadowbane had and not this stupid crap like darkfall online or mortal has but actual conflict large scale not just ganking noobies and farmers.

+1. Shadowbane was awesome. I'm bummed WAR was left to ruin as well. I'm looking for some quality pvp myself. It's sad there's none out there.

Current: GW2 (almost)
    Played: EQ, DAoC,EQOA,Shadowbane,WoW, WAR, SWTOR, TSW

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

+1 to Shadowbane

If you never got to play it, you will never know what good pvp is.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

shadowbane has a EMU currently in closed beta if you want to google it as it will be 100% free. I cannot speak on the quality of it though being its in closed beta but it looks like there are a good chunk of players planning to give it a try. I miss the politics of shadowbane , there just hasnt been any game for pvp out since then that come close to the level of complexity to shadowbanes political system back in its heyday. Warhammer wasnt really all about keep trading at release nor for awhile , calling it a pos now is fine but back before everyone left there was constant conflict in the lakes.

Keep trading is what GW2 is going to end up being I think personally because there is little reward in WvW currently compared to a gold badge for taking a keep . In fact the most rewarding exp is taking a keep in GW2 i think as of beta 3. Either they are going to have to lower the exp and karma for it or they will have to up it for players but you are already seeing ninja undefended keeps away from zerges on servers during the beta weekends.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

I had a good laugh...from the feedback I got, I think I am going to give WAR a try.  

You can't pvp in a game that has no players.

Also, EVE.

• TsaboTavokTsaboTavok Member Posts: 58

I'm waiting for GW2 for the PvP.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

For currently released Themeparks

1, Warhammer 

2, Guild Wars

3, Swtor (yeah yeah hate away I actually find the 8 "advanced" Classes all have some very nice counter points to each other.  The only problem is the fact that its small teams.  Give me 20 a side expansive objective based gameplay)

4, DCUO (It actually has quite a nice high skill cap, plenty of counter gameplay options to close down opponents and break their close downs)

When it comes out GW 2 will have a nice hybrid of PVPvPvE gameplay too, but it just doesnt feel as controlled as the above games for me.

Sandbox wise. sadly I havent seen a sandbox yet that does actual combat well... Eve, DF and MO all capture the cat and mouse element beautifully, but the combat its self always seems very dull...

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

Warhammer has the best PvP/RvR at the moment and GW2 isn't going to change it.

But we have to be carefull here.

With the introduction of patch 1.4.0 nearly 2 years ago they revamped the entire campaign to move from a PvPVE/RvR experience to a player driven only PvP/RvR system. There are no guards, no Lords or whatever anymore at keeps or bo's. It's you, the player, that comes to defend or take. If you don't show up, it's an easy take for the opposing side. We lost a lot of players who couldn't adapt to the new system.

As stated by someone else. Warhammer is PvP/RvR from day one till you unsub. PVE is dead and it's scenarios or fights in the lakes only.

Someone mentioned RVE with keep exchange and no fights. That happens in T2 and T3 when the dominated side refuses to defend their keeps. But since 1.4.0 it doesn't happen anymore in T4 (end-game) because of the modified campaign

Warhammer isn't perfect and Mythic doesn't always implement stuff properly but all by all it's the best PvP/RvR experience out there.

2 main things they didn't do properly in the last patch and a lot of us complains about

60 vs 60 City instance (used to be 24 vs 24) isn't working as intended. We are still waiting for a fix

Scenario setup for this patch is horrible.

Nidwin