Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you prefer PvPing with or without a downed mechanic?

Comments

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by otinanai123

It promotes zerging, punishes hit and run tactics, makes 1v2 2v3 predictable (the side with the bigger numbers will almost always win). It punishes players who prefer to play only ranged (don't tell me how to play). It promotes turtling (setting up turrets, banners in a certain spot and just defending it). Kills don't feel like kills. Stomps don't feel like kills either since they don't require skill (just press F).

It creates frustration in many different scenarios:

1) killing someone and then not being able to stomp him (because you are either too low HP or a buddy is guarding him). How awesome does it feel in other games when you kill someone and are left with 5% hp? You'll never experience that in GW2.

2) killing someone in a 1v2 and seeing him self-rezz when his buddy stomps you

3) being killed and having your enemy not stomp you but not let you rezz either just to mess with you

4) killing someone and seeing a team member swoosh in and take the stomp

5) fights between 2 downed players where they throw rocks at each other for 30 seconds (so much fun)

Your problem is that you think the PvP is all about "the kill."

It's not. It's all about the objectives. It's all about the team.

I know that is a perception / player preference thing - but if you only get satisfaction from "the kill" and not from "the win" then GW2 might not be the best PvP game for you.

PvP should be both about winning and "the kill". It should be fun from start to finish and not only when you see the scoreboard when the game ends (if you win).

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I like the downed state in CoD and I like it just the same here.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

It promotes zerging, punishes hit and run tactics, makes 1v2 2v3 predictable (the side with the bigger numbers will almost always win). It punishes players who prefer to play only ranged (don't tell me how to play). It promotes turtling (setting up turrets, banners in a certain spot and just defending it). Kills don't feel like kills. Stomps don't feel like kills either since they don't require skill (just press F).

1) killing someone and then not being able to stomp him (because you are either too low HP or a buddy is guarding him). How awesome does it feel in other games when you kill someone and are left with 5% hp? You'll never experience that in GW2.

3) being killed and having your enemy not stomp you but not let you rezz either just to mess with you

5) fights between 2 downed players where they throw rocks at each other for 30 seconds (so much fun)

1. The downed mechanic does not promote zerging, does not punish hit and run tactics and does not make combat predictable. Many times in wvw I have fought groups larger than mine and we have won; I've learned that aggressiveness and initiating combat (within reason) tends to turn the tide in wvw battles. I've played an elementalist during the betas and I've never felt punished by the downed mechanic. As for turrets and banners, that is part of the gameplay (its supposed to be). Kills don't feel like kills cause the player isn't dead... yet; you have to finish him off. Actually, it feels great to finish players off after a very intense fight. As for "stomping", it does require skill cause you have to defeat the player first, and stomping them, as I've said already, feels amazing cause you've "earned" the kill.

1) That's called tactics. If you want to stomp a player, then take out his buddy, then you can stomp them both. I've stomped many players right before being killed, and it still felt amazing.

2) That's wvw. You've got to be smart as to how you fight and pick your battles... this isn't wow.

3) I've never seen that happen.

4) Again, this isn't wow, its not my personal stats vs someone else's personal stats. This is team play, we're all getting xp and the benefits of the kill. This example I think is the most telling of you... if you want that kind of gameplay, again, Kung Fu Panda and Pokemon will be coming out on Sept 25th.

5) That would be epic! the ultime battle for survival! If I survived that and stomped the other player, I would feel like such a bad ass... a close fight and was able to rally and defeat my enemy... hell yeah!

in summary, I think #4 realy shows your colors... GW2 may not be the game for you. GW2 is for players who don't necessarily care about personal stats over team playing and defeating the enemy over your own stats. There's nothing wrong with caring more about your personal stats over the greater good of defeating the enemy as a team player... there are games for players such as yourself... WOW.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I know that is a perception / player preference thing - but if you only get satisfaction from "the kill" and not from "the win" then GW2 might not be the best PvP game for you.

PvP should be both about winning and "the kill". It should be fun from start to finish and not only when you see the scoreboard when the game ends (if you win).

The kill is how you win. But winning is the important part. It's a team game.

Kill all day but if you don't capture the objectives with your team, you won't win.

It IS fun from start to finish for most people. If you don't find it fun because of downed state, I'm sorry it either isn't for you or you are a selfish PvP'er or something...

If you ever feel "bad" or "cheated" because a team mate finishes "your kill" you probably need another game for PvP.

That's what I don't get about you, in WVW I had a blast, winning and losing. The combat is intense, especially in small group fights. the funny thing is that what I remember more about wvw is not the score, but the fights that I was in. Either you didn't play and don't know what you're talking about, or you're completely missing the point.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

Hmm this feels like a rather pointless discussion simply for the fact that it wouldn't make sense to not have the downed mechanic in pvp while having it in pve. Having it that way would fundamentaly change the experience depending on what you feel like doing for the moment. So what one prefers is really irrelevant because it IS there and it will probably not be changed.

Originally posted by Mrlogic

Hmm this feels like a rather pointless discussion simply for the fact that it wouldn't make sense to not have the downed mechanic in pvp while having it in pve. Having it that way would fundamentaly change the experience depending on what you feel like doing for the moment. So what one prefers is really irrelevant because it IS there and it will probably not be changed.

Agreed.

Originally posted by coretex666

Without

Maybe if it randomly occured like once in twenty kills, then it might be reasonable and interesting. But doing it for every kill?Why?

I usually don't judge a book by its cover, but in your case I might make an exception. Combining your profile picture with your comment, I think answers any questions I might have for you.

However, I will attempt a response...

Randomizing the downed state would be worse than not having it. Having the downed state for every kill allows both players to know what's coming after one goes down, both in defense and in offense; it's part of the combat strategy.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I've never seen FPS PvPers complain about this. Why are MMORPG PvPers? I'd like to find out what some pro pvp guilds have to say on the subject.

• MrMonolitasMrMonolitas Member UncommonPosts: 263

Its amusing that most of the people chose with and i dont understand them at all. I didint play the game, but in my opinion that down mechanics is just annoying. You have to kill your enemy and jump on it to finish the job? bullcrap. It would be ok if he couldnt cast anything. Most annoying place for pvpers will be WvW when in pvp you kill the enemy and that enemy kills random monster to get up and fight again. I would say No thank you ...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

With...

Simply adds another element to PvP players need to be aware of far as I'm concerned.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• xxantiheroxxxxantiheroxx Member UncommonPosts: 68

Hated it at first, but now I really enjoy it. I think it promotes team work and makes zerging less effective. I don't think people should be punished for coordinating well and focus firing. But some times when you get FF'd by 4 or 5 people there's not much you can do about it without a dedicated healer.

Since GW2 does not have dedicated healers, I feel the downed state is necessary as it gives your team a chance to react, try to interrupt the other team from stomping you, and res you back up. It adds a whole new mechanic to PvP and it can get quite intense when you have a back and forth war of interrupts when trying to stomp or res.

• JohabohaJohaboha Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Xzen

I've never seen FPS PvPers complain about this. Why are MMORPG PvPers? I'd like to find out what some pro pvp guilds have to say on the subject.

Not 100% sure since i havnt played CoD since the 2nd one but im pretty sure they removed the downed state perk because of so many people bitching about it.  I see the same outcome with this... atleast i hope

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

OK, See, I'm still lost. How does someone staying up and having a chance to res themselves for a few seconds in pvp in any way promote zerging. 

Also, how does the downed system make one-sided fights more predictable then standard pvp? For one, I can tell you for a fact I've taken out two players in WvW by myself. And I've seen video of others doing the same.  

I won't punish you for ranged, i prefer melee myself but that's a personal choice. I can understand your frustration that you won't get the finisher credit if you can't run up there and hit F but...you do know the bonus for finishing isn't that huge, right? And you still get credit for the fight regardless of who finishes.

Now for your numbered items:

1) What I see Downed as is not "he's already dead" personally, I see it as "He's nearly dead, just a little health left". So to me, this scenario is like when I'm chasing some guy with 1% of his health left and he gets away, or I have to back off because I'm low and another opponent is closing in. To me it's no different.

2) I hate to say you're doing it wrong but....the damaged player only self-rezzes when they use bandage to heal to full, or kill someone. Assuming it's a 1v2, that means he bandaged. Which means you left him untouched for a good thirty seconds. Just smack him every 5 seconds or so, even clipping him with an AoE field is fine. the damage breaks the heal, and puts banadge on cooldown. Or, CC the one still up, go finish the Downer, then work on guy 2.

3) I'll admit a "I give up, just lemme die" option would be nice. I can see players abusing it to get out of being Finished though, so there needs to be something in place to prevent that.

4) Read 1. No different than some other twit getting the KB after a long hard fight with an enemy.

5) Are you kidding? The one and only time I had this happen, I think both of us laughed ourselves senseless.  Although, again, an option to just suicide would be nice.

I've never once felt like the downed state mechanic meant I had to kill a player twice.

I already beat them, I just have to finish them off.

To me, "killing a player twice" is like fighting a Ret paly in WoW back in the day, burst down their health, they bubble, heal to full, then you have to kill them again.

THAT is annoying as all hell.

In a 1vs1 in GW2, I've never NOT been able to finish someone off when they were downed.

What about when you fighting 2v1 and you beat one of them in unfair fight and then the guy you beat down just keeps messing with you. I dont know i dont like it.

Originally posted by albers

Its amusing that most of the people chose with and i dont understand them at all. I didint play the game, but in my opinion that down mechanics is just annoying. You have to kill your enemy and jump on it to finish the job? bullcrap. It would be ok if he couldnt cast anything. Most annoying place for pvpers will be WvW when in pvp you kill the enemy and that enemy kills random monster to get up and fight again. I would say No thank you ...

This reminds me of when President Obama made a comment about that black teacher being arrested without knowing any of the details of the situation...

If you haven't played the game and don't know what its like to down players or be downed by a player, how can you say that somethig is annoying or not. I'm not saying you can't opine without personal experience, and I appreciate it that you prefaced your comment with the clarification that you had not played the game... but still... I'm amazed at people's ability to know things without experiencing them. Wouldn't mind learning that ability, then I probably could have avoided years and years of treadmill experience in WOW.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Kuinn

One of the features I dont like in GW2, having to kill everyone two times every time feels tedious and unimmersive. It should at least be more random or something like that if it absolutely has to be in the game imo. In a game like L4D (where it's inspired from?) when playing the coop against AI infected, it's a nice feature to get second chance, but against other players I feel it's unneccesary and nothing brilliant, forcing people to focus on already put down enemies. I guess it's the dream feature of people who just like to execute others in computer games shitloads all the time :P

You do not kill anyone twice. Downed - Dead - Move on. And when someone is down fighting for their life, can't get more immersive than that.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've never once felt like the downed state mechanic meant I had to kill a player twice.

To me, "killing a player twice" is like fighting a Ret paly in WoW back in the day, burst down their health, they bubble, heal to full, then you have to kill them again.

In a 1vs1 in GW2, I've never NOT been able to finish someone off when they were downed.

What about when you fighting 2v1 and you beat one of them in unfair fight and then the guy you beat down just keeps messing with you. I dont know i dont like it.

I don't know, I won a 2vs1 on my Warrior last weekend and stomped both of them, (kind of) it felt amazing.

Some random guy on my team did come up and stomp the 2nd guy as I was stomping the first (after I got them both down and kept the first guy down while killing the 2nd guy.)

But that is just fine. I know I killed them both, my team prospered from my actions, couldn't give two shits my team mate came up and stomped the 2nd guy.

Helped me out, I was able to then move on and find the next battle a few seconds faster...

Originally posted by Johaboha
    Originally posted by Xzen

Not 100% sure since i havnt played CoD since the 2nd one but im pretty sure they removed the downed state perk because of so many people bitching about it.  I see the same outcome with this... atleast i hope

I hope and pray not! Its bad enough that WOW caved in to all the people complaining about it and now look at what we have with WOW a POS! please leave GW2 alone and go play WOW!

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by joocheese

This reminds me of when President Obama made a comment about that black teacher being arrested without knowing any of the details of the situation...

I honeslty think you could have gone with that saying this. they are much better examples that don't run the risk of turning into some  political shit don't ya think?

If you haven't played the game and don't know what its like to down players or be downed by a player, how can you say that somethig is annoying or not. I'm not saying you can't opine without personal experience, and I appreciate it that you prefaced your comment with the clarification that you had not played the game... but still... I'm amazed at people's ability to know things without experiencing them. Wouldn't mind learning that ability, then I probably could have avoided years and years of treadmill experience in WOW.

Yes i didnt experiance it myself but i got information from other sources. Like gameplay videos, articles and stuff like that. And the thing is i am not wrong. with the example i gave you. This acctually very likely it will happen alot in WvW :)

I don't know, I won a 2vs1 on my Warrior last weekend and stomped both of them, (kind of) it felt amazing.

Some random guy on my team did come up and stomp the 2nd guy as I was stomping the first (after I got them both down and kept the first guy down while killing the 2nd guy.)

But that is just fine. I know I killed them both, my team prospered from my actions, couldn't give two shits my team mate came up and stomped the 2nd guy.

Helped me out, I was able to then move on and find the next battle a few seconds faster...

That's the key! people need to shake off the years and years of the wow virus! (personal stats vs collective benefit).

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

1. The downed mechanic does not promote zerging, does not punish hit and run tactics and does not make combat predictable. Many times in wvw I have fought groups larger than mine and we have won; I've learned that aggressiveness and initiating combat (within reason) tends to turn the tide in wvw battles. I've played an elementalist during the betas and I've never felt punished by the downed mechanic. As for turrets and banners, that is part of the gameplay (its supposed to be). Kills don't feel like kills cause the player isn't dead... yet; you have to finish him off. Actually, it feels great to finish players off after a very intense fight. As for "stomping", it does require skill cause you have to defeat the player first, and stomping them, as I've said already, feels amazing cause you've "earned" the kill.

1) That's called tactics. If you want to stomp a player, then take out his buddy, then you can stomp them both. I've stomped many players right before being killed, and it still felt amazing.

2) That's wvw. You've got to be smart as to how you fight and pick your battles... this isn't wow.

3) I've never seen that happen.

4) Again, this isn't wow, its not my personal stats vs someone else's personal stats. This is team play, we're all getting xp and the benefits of the kill. This example I think is the most telling of you... if you want that kind of gameplay, again, Kung Fu Panda and Pokemon will be coming out on Sept 25th.

5) That would be epic! the ultime battle for survival! If I survived that and stomped the other player, I would feel like such a bad ass... a close fight and was able to rally and defeat my enemy... hell yeah!

in summary, I think #4 realy shows your colors... GW2 may not be the game for you. GW2 is for players who don't necessarily care about personal stats over team playing and defeating the enemy over your own stats. There's nothing wrong with caring more about your personal stats over the greater good of defeating the enemy as a team player... there are games for players such as yourself... WOW.

Again you're missing the point completely (showing my colors? You haven't played WoW?) I'm gonna focus on 4) and tell you it is not about stats but about FUN. Killing someone is fun. Getting killed (especially after a good fight) isn't fun but at least it isn't frustrating(it is over quickly. you die and then respawn). Killing, stomping, dying, getting stomped, neither of those is fun in gw2 and they are all frustrating (some more, some less). The downed state just slows the game. I can see how casual players might like it though. It makes them feel safe (especially when they stick with their teammates)

Yeah but that is just one example :) This will happen i prommise and it will be really frustrating :)

I might add that there is nothing more frustrating than getting killed by low hp target 

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Sounds like the Heal skill in DDO.