Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 combat

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1
    Originally posted by Tonin109

some people complain about few skills in GW2 but i want to know ,people who are happy with 40-60 skills , do you use them all in a fight that last less than 1 min ? ( pve fight)

even in pvp i doubt all your 40-60 skills/spells  are useful

you might actually lose that bet, first off the numbers are way exaggerated...secondly it would depend on the Class, Player, and the build but it is very possible....i remember how crazy my destruction / demonology warlock used to be lol...you have to use all skills or your dps would be crap. Even in tera or rift when i played them.

Edit: As it goes, if you're not using them all you're doing it wrong!

I am so glad that good gameplay in GW2 has nothing to do with having the highest DPS

Lol not that anyone else can tell but it is possible to "Roughly" measure where your dps stands by testing rotations on mobs till you find the one that kills them fastest and hits the hardest. but like another person said theres no real way to measure it, but i still like to aim to be the best i can be in any game :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

That's the thing people don't seem to get.

Yes, you "only" get 10 skills on your bar (though you also get 1-4 class specific abilities) but they are NOT just spam and forget or rotation-based DPS etc. etc.

Each and every single skill has a purpose and a greater strategy and synergy with other skills and talents.

Even the "auto-attacks" (1) have 3 phases and depending on the weapon have different effects like Heals, Illusion generation, bleeds, etc. etc.

It may be very simple on the surface - 10 skills.. but the layers of complexity between skills and builds and traits and gear and all the synergies and relationships and combos and strategies...

So much depth.

#askaGW1player

Originally posted by BadSpock

Yes, you "only" get 10 skills on your bar (though you also get 1-4 class specific abilities) but they are NOT just spam and forget or rotation-based DPS etc. etc.

Each and every single skill has a purpose and a greater strategy and synergy with other skills and talents.

Even the "auto-attacks" (1) have 3 phases and depending on the weapon have different effects like Heals, Illusion generation, bleeds, etc. etc.

It may be very simple on the surface - 10 skills.. but the layers of complexity between skills and builds and traits and gear and all the synergies and relationships and combos and strategies...

So much depth.

#askaGW1player

you seem to be forgetting tho that rotations are based around dps abilities, and when ur not dodging or CC'ing what are you doing :P you can very well still find a suitable rotation even if its between 2-3 skills during a burst phase where ur clear to dps

Edit: also being tho "No-root" system everyone seems to enjoy you can avoid attacks WHILE using a rotation its just in general a way of keeping track of your dps abilities 

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

Originally posted by lilHeala OP, why is it so hard to accept that people like and are very positive about something you don't like?

I never said i hated it? re-read the OP i didnt say that it was bad i just said that it seemed over rated from the short amount of time i got to play it hence the question in my first post. Edit: nvm actually i shouldnt feed the trolls am trying to keep this a serious thread.

And I never implied you hated it. You're the one starting to throw around labels like troll...     Reading the post I took it that you don't like it because you state it's overrated and start off with a question (though without question mark).

Plain and simple, why do people think this combat is so great you get 5 skills per weapon and then ur healing skill and utilities which are consistent and changable
     and

is this pure fanboyism as to why its so hyped or are people just clinging to hope as all other mmo's that have come out recently have been mediocre at best?
     To which I replied.I haven't seen too many people praising it to the high heavens but I've seen several that are just positive about it that's why it triggers that reaction from me. It's not about fanboyism but about people liking it. And in general it's also not what you say but how you say it.

Originally posted by lilHeala

Originally posted by lilHeala OP, why is it so hard to accept that people like and are very positive about something you don't like?
    I never said i hated it? re-read the OP i didnt say that it was bad i just said that it seemed over rated from the short amount of time i got to play it hence the question in my first post. Edit: nvm actually i shouldnt feed the trolls am trying to keep this a serious thread.
    And I never implied you hated it. You're the one starting to throw around labels like troll...

Reading the post I took it that you don't like it because you state it's overrated and start off with a question (though without question mark).

Plain and simple, why do people think this combat is so great you get 5 skills per weapon and then ur healing skill and utilities which are consistent and changable
    To which I replied.
    I haven't seen too many people praising it to the high heavens but I've seen several that are just positive about it that's why it triggers that reaction from me. It's also not what you say but how you say it.

that in red feels like its implied that i hated it and didnt accept that other people liked it, the fact is i got little play time and from what i did get to play it simply felt mediocre which i guess it would normally be for any mmo at lower levels, well except tera i had a blast with it from level 1 to 47 till the game died lol...but from what i heard max level wouldve been boring anyway

Edit: i do feel like its a bit over rated but like i said i dont hate it, its the same with Final Fantasy 7 the other big controversial "Over rated" game....people over rate it but i still love it

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

And I never implied you hated it. You're the one starting to throw around labels like troll...

Reading the post I took it that you don't like it because you state it's overrated and start off with a question (though without question mark).

To which I replied.
    I haven't seen too many people praising it to the high heavens but I've seen several that are just positive about it that's why it triggers that reaction from me. It's also not what you say but how you say it.

that in red feels like its implied that i hated it and didnt accept that other people liked it, the fact is i got little play time and from what i did get to play it simply felt mediocre which i guess it would normally be for any mmo at lower levels, well except tera i had a blast with it from level 1 to 47 till the game died lol...but from what i heard max level wouldve been boring anyway

don't like =/= hate

To which I replied.

don't like =/= hate

at the same time Not liking a game =/= Not liking the game as much as other people. i still think its a good game just a bit over rated.

Edit: but lets end it there the thread should stay on topic.

Edit 2: but also you know i like a good debate as long as it doesnt drop in intelligence IE name calling and mindless accusations which is what i thought you were doing with the first post. you are welcome to continue in PM

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Fangrim

Its pointless arguing with them,once they see this thread they will jump all over it and tell you how awesome it is.I even tried saying the same about GW1 vs EQ2 but they don't listen,apparently the 5 skills you pick and use in that game is far superior than having 40-60 to use and one of the best systems ever created.

Nobody really uses those skills do they?   No, they find some five-to-seven skill rotation and stick with it.   So please stop pretending all those skills actually matter, because they don't and never really did.   

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Plain and simple, why do people think this combat is so great you get 5 skills per weapon and then ur healing skill and utilities which are consistent and changable. all in all you get one action bar of skills and people i continuously see argue about how you're not rooted, im not saying the combat is bad but why is it so over hyped i played it this last beta weekend and thought it was better than ur average mmo but it wasnt that great...is this pure fanboyism as to why its so hyped or are people just clinging to hope as all other mmo's that have come out recently have been mediocre at best? the combat is tougher in that theres no rooting but if you play smart its still easy to pull a few mobs, tho i dont see it being possible to pull tons in this game, as long as you stick within a couple levels its not that bad...not trolling, serious thread.  Am i missing something?

I understand it is a more irrational, emotional thing.

For me GW2 is a good mix between action and classic skill-based power. In a game like WOW or EQ2, the power of your character is solely based on his skill, not yours. In action games, it is mostly based on your skills as player, which just overburdens many people. GW2 seems like a good compromise between the two. So it is more dynamic that the static old fashioned combat of MMOs where you just stand and spam your 30 abilities over and over like in EQ2, but not SO dynamic that it overwhelms me. If you make a more action combat, you need to limit the number of active skills, simply because nobody could manage 4 full skillbars in an actiony combat system. But then ask yourself: do the 4 skillbars full of skill in games like, say, EQ2, really make such a big difference? If I recall my EQ2 Paladin, he had about 15 or so normal attacks, which all just differed minimal, and about 10 different heals. Did that really make the combat more inteteresting?

Second, the chance to have several weaponsets allows several very different ways to fight even with one single character. Like with my Warrior I can do tanking-like combat with shield and mace, or heavy damage with my hammer or ranged with my rifle, and other classes can more or less also alternate between combat styles, often onl the fly.

Third, the animations and sounds are really good, IMO.

Fourth, while the loss of the dedicated healer is sad, the good thing is that it gives the responsibility to EVERYONE. No longer one healer and one tank are in the focus, and your group is rooted in one place, no the combat is always changing, everyone contributes, everyone is responsible.

Only issue that *might* come into play is, you get (unlock) all your attacks in the first 5-10 levels, so you don't get much new stuff later, and I am not sure if that will make it a bit boring over time. That is something I cannot say yet.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

So much depth.

#askaGW1player

you seem to be forgetting tho that rotations are based around dps abilities, and when ur not dodging or CC'ing what are you doing :P you can very well still find a suitable rotation even if its between 2-3 skills during a burst phase where ur clear to dps

Edit: also being tho "No-root" system everyone seems to enjoy you can avoid attacks WHILE using a rotation its just in general a way of keeping track of your dps abilities 

But there are no DPS "rotations" in the same sense as there are in games like WoW, Rift, etc.... there are combinations to increase your damage to a target, like applying a Vulnerability before a burst damage skill/special, or a root/snare before a damage spike, 

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

I like the skill system  cos you don't have to remember to press skill 16 or 22 because if you do you'll fall behind in tanking/healing/damaging which sucks donkey balls.

I also like how you can set things up for yourself and how you want to play, for example; If  I want to get up close i just equip 2 swords and go mad and stomp faces. If i want to be at greater range i just switch to a gun or bow and run like hell keeping my distance from any danger (unless they are also ranged ofcourse).

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Edit:double post

So much depth.

#askaGW1player

But there are no DPS "rotations" in the same sense as there are in games like WoW, Rift, etc.... there are combinations to increase your damage to a target, like applying a Vulnerability before a burst damage skill/special, or a root/snare before a damage spike, 

How is that any different from lets say casting "Curse of Elements" and "haunt" as the first skill in a rotation as an affliction warlock, you boost your dps with the debuff being it increases magic damage taken which im guessing vulnerability increases damage taken as well... through the rotation, its the same thing its just shorter with GW2...i think. Tho i guess rather than snare it would be fear.

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

Again   if you are so "not smart"   if you   cant understand meaning of HYPE and  expectation.   no point in saying  anythg about  combat here.   you played game you SAW and DID all the combat  you Experienced it.  If  to feel smart and usefull you need  50 "different" skills on 6 hot bars   Yhis game not for you.    

IT quality over Quantity.

IF you can  count 20 skills in ANY game  which  is essential to have and how they   do somethg in 1 battle PLZ  make a list ill be playing that game for all my life.

Saying you have 10 skills and its just Easy  = 100% trolling post.

Anygame  you need  2-3 regular damage attacks  1-2 any sort of  CC (stop,creeple.fear)  2-3 DoTs spells 1-2buff skill  and in case of GW2  1 -2 healing spells

Dont say  HYPE if you have no idea what it mean. and Having half of  screen full of Buttons which made hmmmm Crafting reequiping,  using some items, and other useless  things again  GW2 not for you.

If game designers  went  other rode like TSW and made 500 same  skills with different names  it doesnt make game Difficult. 

Originally posted by Kykyryz-a

Again   if you are so "not smart"   if you   cant understand meaning of HYPE and  expectation.   no point in saying  anythg about  combat here.   you played game you SAW and DID all the combat  you Experienced it.  If  to feel smart and usefull you need  50 "different" skills on 6 hot bars   Yhis game not for you.    

IF you can  count 20 skills in ANY game  which  is essential to have and how they   do somethg in 1 battle PLZ  make a list ill be playing that game for all my life.

Anygame  you need  2-3 regular damage attacks  1-2 any sort of  CC (stop,creeple.fear)  2-3 DoTs spells 1-2buff skill  and in case of GW2  1 -2 healing spells

Dont say  HYPE if you have no idea what it mean. and Having half of  screen full of Buttons which made hmmmm Crafting reequiping,  using some items, and other useless  things again  GW2 not for you.

If game designers  went  other rode like TSW and made 500 same  skills with different names  it doesnt make game Difficult. 

i will admit it was the wrong use of the word hype in a sense, for lack of a better way to put it but in a sense it is hype as well, alot of gamers refer to it as the "Honeymoon Period" i guess. but you seem to be just mindlessly defending the game unlike everyone else here who has come up with valid points where as you are stating common concepts and the basics to any mmo.

some people complain about few skills in GW2 but i want to know ,people who are happy with 40-60 skills , do you use them all in a fight that last less than 1 min ? ( pve fight)

you might actually lose that bet, first off the numbers are way exaggerated...secondly it would depend on the Class, Player, and the build but it is very possible....i remember how crazy my destruction / demonology warlock used to be lol...you have to use all skills or your dps would be crap. Even in tera or rift when i played them.

Any1 who played Warlock can say you are  not saying truth here   40-60 buttons  ROFL 

RIFT dont even try to say its is complicated game with lots of skills for any class.  all of them max 5 buttons 

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by Fangrim

Its pointless arguing with them,once they see this thread they will jump all over it and tell you how awesome it is.I even tried saying the same about GW1 vs EQ2 but they don't listen,apparently the 5 skills you pick and use in that game is far superior than having 40-60 to use and one of the best systems ever created.

Nobody really uses those skills do they?   No, they find some five-to-seven skill rotation and stick with it.   So please stop pretending all those skills actually matter, because they don't and never really did.   

You must of been turdlike at previous MMO's then.I bet you were a long time GW1 player.Now you have your dream casual half a hotbar 'MMO' and I hope you stay there for the rest of your gaming days happily ever after.I never used 5-7 keys in EQ2 or used macros so don't tell me I used 5-7 keys.

Oh and btw people are already complaining GW2 is too grindy Hahahaha this is so funny,a game you can get to max combat level by crafting underpants and apple pies is too grindy haha,oh you casuals make my day sometimes.As long as you all stay in your super game and don't befoul other games its all good.

Any1 who played Warlock can say you are  not saying truth here   40-60 buttons  ROFL 

RIFT dont even try to say its is complicated game with lots of skills for any class.  all of them max 5 buttons 

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about as i stated in a past post there is no way to even fit 40-60 buttons on a screen without addons, but it is very well possible to use all of em at least it was back in BC and WotLK, and Rift especially cause theres is so much freedom in creating your own hybrid class. [mod edit]

i will admit it was the wrong use of the word hype in a sense, for lack of a better way to put it but in a sense it is hype as well, alot of gamers refer to it as the "Honeymoon Period" i guess. but you seem to be just mindlessly defending the game unlike everyone else here who has come up with valid points where as you are stating common concepts and the basics to any mmo.

i gave you points    why Games dont need 60 skills   if you can see

Feel free to  give example of ANY game you have as you  Said 40-60 skill used in 1 battled     Even go for example  like  :  hmm i cant even imagine what it can be.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

People who think that the action bar is all that adds to combat complexity is trapped in the times when positioning was only a matter of "don't stand in the green stuff or fire".  Combat complexity in GW2 adds positioning AND much more than 10 skills.  With weapon swapping and other skills, you have tons more skills available at your disposal.  You can even pick up an object off the ground and use it as a weapon.  If you're just looking at the action bar you're missing the point of GW2 combat.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about as i stated in a past post there is no way to even fit 40-60 buttons on a screen without addons, but it is very well possible to use all of em at least it was back in BC and WotLK, and Rift especially cause theres is so much freedom in creating your own hybrid class. you clearly have nothing intellectual to say at all so plz take it to a pm with me and quit trolling the thread.

not trolling just want some examples :)  i gave you example of battle in GW2 with 10 skills used.  i played WoW for more than 5 year  quited 3 years ago at Lich king my favorite class is warlock so i know what im talking about  PLayed RIFT  for first 6 months  got  Cleric, warrior  at 50    with gear for all roles  so again i know what im talking about. 

ppl just creating posts for no reason.

Game never need 40 (not even 20) skills to be good in fight  NEVER.  

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I really wished I could have all the skills available all the time, that would my work a lot easier.

Instead I need to choose what I might need and unfortunately I can't fit all that I need in my bar, so I'll be making hard choices and compromises.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    There really is no dps rotation. In general a given weapon has 2 dps abilities. One with a cd and 1 spammer. All the rest of your abilities are completely situational (but still needed on all fights given they up the difficult back to bwe1 or 2 standards). Your dps instead depends on actively mitigating so many atks as you can so you don't have to disengage too often (doing zero dps)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

No two skill a like in TSW ;)

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    I ground over leveled elites on my guardian and actually settled into a rotation of sorts. This was it:

2 3 4 1 1 1 5 1 1 1 2 3 wpnswitch 2 3 dodge 1 1 dodge 1 1 wpnswitch

And then repeat.