Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is the new WOW...

13»

Comments

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

I'd say that I have been a farily strong defender of Guild Wars 2, but I understand the origional posters point of view. 

Whilst Guild Wars 2 clearly has a very large following of fans, I have found that a lot of the criticism leveled has been incredibly misinformed. Many compare purely based on Guild Wars 1 or do not understand what the game offers fully and this even includes people from beta weekends who are approaching the game from a very narrow minded perspective.

I have taken issue with some of the negatives on the forums not because Guild Wars 2 doesn't have things to work on, but because Arena Net have delivered exactly what they said they would deliver. If people personally didn't like that its up to them and its great to have diverse opinions but a true critical analysis of Guild Wars 2 reveals that it delivers in all the categories for its target audience, compare this to SWTOR which was a shell compared to the original manifesto from Bioware. 

Couple the above paragraph with Guild Wars 2 having no subscription and a modest cash shop of fluff to support further development and you end up with a very good, incredibly polished game that appeals to the audience it set out to capture and that consitutes the best value for money in regards to content and subscription that I think we have seen to date.

#Edit TL;DR If you don't like the style of guild wars 2 for any reason I think you still have to accept that Arena Net have done a fantastic job and that setting standards as high as this is great for the genre.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Elikal
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The OP cannot imagine how anyone can NOT like GW2, so his conclusion is that the criticism is only a form a jealousy because the game is "so popular".

Sorry, but that's not true. I think EVE and Planetside are very good games, but I totally hate them. The people who love EVE and Planetside explained quite well why they love it, and I can accept and respect that. If someone explains it well, I can accept different opinions and tastes. But in terms of WOW I have seen too many unreasonable and purely childish attacks which just made no sense. I mean, WOW HAS enough points to critizise it, but I guess success attracts critics who want to make themselves appear "elite" by critizising something that masses liked.

Happens with books and movies and fashion and many other stuff.

My apologies then, I just got the impression that you were implying that "most" of the criticism of GW2 was based on nothing more than "hating on the most popular".

As I was trying to say in my original post, enjoying a game (or any entertainment medium for that matter) is a very subjective thing. A game may "work for you" or "click with you" or any similar expression. It's often difficult to describe the technical reasons why that happens, because it's the sum-total of many aspects of the game. It has far more to do with emotion than logic.

Many people do not express themselves very well, and trying to logically describe an emotional reaction is a challenge even for the most articulate. So people will often struggle to find a "convincing" reason why they don't like a game. That's because there's no logic involved, it's just personal taste. Yet, they will feel compelled to produce a "logical" reason, so they will attack some random game feature that irritates them the most.

Of course, there are those people that just love to "grief" people on forums. And the easiest way to do that is to post something really negative in a busy forum full of happy fans. They just want to post and sit back with a big bowl of popcorn to enjoy the mayhem they've caused.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Nobody cares what silly hipsters think anyways.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by Eir_S

A good insight, but much like WoW, GW2 will be able to withstand the critics, so the only losers are those who refuse to play for some misguided loyalty to another game.

+1

As usual you talk sense and have hit the nail on the head...

Bandit.

There are two sides to every coin, you can not arrive to proper reasoning by only looking at one side. I have no idea how that post makes sense unless you want to see things only and only from your own biased prespective.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Sorry but this will not be the new WoW as you put it. Just more hype people love to give this thing. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

This discussion is a little meta, but this forum is about the game and not for complaining about the other posters.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.