Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post your class impressions

2»

Comments

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by fiontar

Ranger:  Pet taming is easy, but you can only tame Juveniles.

Having been on the fence about this for an age,  that one line alone has made me commit and just ordered it.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

1) Elementalist: top of the list for me, as others have said, this class is extremely versatile, having an enormous amount of different options with each weapon type you use. You can also build this class both for amazing offense and very powerful support.

But really, versatility is key here.

2) Guardian: second on my list, I find that "dependable" describes the guardian. The class can be build to be very tough with respectable damage output and it can be build to give incredible support to friendlies while becoming nearly unkillable. You can really go for a build or playstyle with this class and carry it through.

In sPvP:

BWE1: played a support heavy staff-guardian, I felt nearly immortal and only died a handful of times over the course of more than a day of focused PvP. I had a lot of options for healing (and self healing) while being tough as nails.

You could simply see the effect of you being there when two teams clashed in matches as you could destabilize their team while making  yours last so much longer.

BWE3: Played as a meditation guardian with sword / shield & scepter / focus. This spec actually seemed OP to me, because it had both amazing toughness, great selfhealing / condition removal and great damage. You could successfully pull off several 2-3k aoe attacks coupled with a 4k single target attack. Enemies would literally need to bash on me with 4 or more people before I ever felt that I was in danger.

3) Necromancer: seemed strong as you could apply dozens of bleeds on people and extrend your own life significantly with death shroud. The pet builds really seemed lacklustre however (and they're not my thing anyhow).

I didn't spend enough time with this class, it looked like the class also had a lot of support options, once again dealing with removing conditions / turning them into boons / transferring them from your team etc.

An interesting class that requires a bit of time to set up correctly.

4) Mesmer: I didn't really *get* this class. It seemed weak in PvE as your clones and phantasm died nearly instantly when mobs focused them (sometimes so quickly that you don't even have the chance to shatter them) and they disappeared after each fight. The damage output was also not there.

The same happened in PvP, I just seemed to drop like a sack of shit with the class. I tried to make it do damage, but failed.

However, this can most likely be attributed to me, because I did meet a lot of good mesmers who managed to confuse the heck out of people and go invisible a good three times.

A lot of the mechanics of this class seemed to lie in the dark and weren't very well explained (to non-GW1 vets), they look like a powerful debuffer to take with you though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Ok, here goes, given I did only play each class so far. So take it with a grain of salt. ^^

ELEMENTALIST: It was the first class I tried, because I loved the idea to have cool magic effects. And I wasn't let down in that aspect. But BOY, it was such a hassle to unlock and learn all those Elementalist skills. (Elementalist is so long to type... can't we say mage? That's much faster to type...) To be honest, I felt the Ele (hah!) was just underpowered given he was just wearing cloth armour. Especially if I compare him to my experience with Thief and Warrior, who also do great damage, my Ele simply died way too often. Yes, yes, you CAN play him so you die less or maybe not at all. But given he wears cloth I simply feel he is not powerful enough. Glass yes, cannon... no. Needs some post-launch tinkering.

THIEF: I really love this class, despite the fact it is not easy to play. Somehow the combat icons change within combat due to some mechanics I still don't fully understand. But you can swirl, jump and teleport around your enemy, and that is just so much fun to watch. Still, found thief very difficult for PVP, at least the open mass PVP. The 5 VS 5 thief is good, because he is great working with single targets, but his vulnerability and limited range just made him weak in mass PVP of the open zones. Still, he will probably be my main simply because I love the acrobatics.

GUARDIAN: Surely a strong a cool class. My only questionmark is, the Guardian has a lot of buffs and protection auras and such, and people in groups (or PVP) simply don't stay in your circles. So it feels a bit a wasted skill line. Still, it has great survivability and swapping to 2hand sword also has good damage. Solid class for people who feel a bit overwhelmed with the other classes.

MESMER: Tried this only VERY briefly, and I must say, it had way too little OOMPH early on. It took me endless to take down a mob early on, so I just quit. I am sure you can do tons with it, but it probably need someone who really studies the char and thinks a lot about it. I prefer more intuitive to play classes, and with Mesmer you REALLY need to know your stuff. I love the effects, like dissolving clones in purple butterflies! Lovely! :D

NECROMANCER: Another class like Mesmer which just is not mine. Somehow the mechanics puzzled me, and like Mesmer, I think you really need to know all your skills very well, and how they complement each other. A tad to much hassle for me, I prefer classes with simpler concepts. ^^

RANGER: I am still on the fence whether or not I play this. Pro: I LOVE to gather pets. It's just fun to play with a cool pet, and some pets really have a good survivability. On the other hand, Ranger has no rifles, which is kinda sad. Somehow I felt a bit bored with always shoot shoot shoot with the arrows. That was not so exciting to watch like the animations of other classes. Also in PVP you have the problem, that players simply ignore the pet, unlike a mob, and always directly attack you. Of course. Sure you can slow down and have a good range, but I didn't see the big advantage in Ranger. So it's really a so-so class.

ENGENEER: Only class I didn't play, because my buddy will play it and I just left the class for him. ;)

WARRIOR: Actually I wasn't interested at first, but when I finally tried it, it became one of my favourite classes! Warrior is pure fun. He has a wide variety of weapons and combat styles, which really makes it interesting to play. You can do tanking with shield, you can even do different stuff with the various 1h+shield combos, you can do huge dmg with 2handed weapons AND I loved the long distance power of the rifle. Just love guns and rifles for the noise. :)  Warrior also seems very good and powerful in PVP, you can shoot the long 1200 distance with the rifle and you have a great survivability too. Really loved that class.

So my favs were Thief and Warrior. My least fav Mesmer and Necro. On the fence with Ele and Ranger, I am really not sure what to think of these.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

I fall in love for the warrior when i tested the 2-handed hammer, my second class would be the ranger that as many said, its very versatile and his moves are way cool.

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

I played in BWE2 and 3. Unfortunately I did have very limited time available :(

Warrior: Go close, smash and bash, kill enemy or die. Lot's of different weapon choices.

My prediction is that warrior is going to be nerfed and badly when GW2 is launched (or shortly after). It is just too fun class to play (and MMOs are not supposed to be fun).

Thief: Against normal mobs - go close and kill. Against bosses - use ranged attacks and hope that boss will never get close enough to hit you.

Thief have nice traps, teleportations and toys that keep enemy far away from you. But if hard melee enemy did get close - you were pretty much dead.

... sorry didn't play with other classes.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Warrior: Fun, and enjoy the weapons they can use.   Although I felt they were a bit bland compared to the other classes, but purely because everyone else seems to have some magic aspect to their skills.

Elementalist: I'm not really into ranged magic classes, but was kind of interesting with melee weapons.   Still not to my taste though.

Thief: Usually the class type I play, but I don't think they've been very well implemented in GW2.   Not sure why, just seemed like the least interesting class.

Ranger: Good solid class, let down by pet mechanics.   Can't see the point in them, when they are dead all the time, and somehow still manage to follow you around.

Guardian: Kind of just a warrior, with magic.   So not that much between the two classes.  Both are fun.

Necromancer: Hated it, simply nothing about the class I enjoyed.

Mesmer:  Probably the most interesting class, as its different.

Engineer: Kind of misplaced within the game.  Interesting, but not my style.

Likely to be playing either a Warrior or Guardian.   Would have liked to have played a Ranger (which I probably enjoyed most), just the dead pet thing got old quick.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

For pve all classes are viable.

Battleground pvp, I found the warrior, thief, elementalist to be great for 1vs1 fights.. the thief, warrior, being best for glass cannon builds, (Imo)

5vs5 and WvsWvsW, warrior, thief, ranger, elementalist, mesmer(team support)

Best support classes for all pvp and pve, guardian, elementalist, engineer, necro, mesmer

In the end of all betas, I thought I'd be set on a mesmer, ranger, or thief. It looks like it will be the class I usually never like to play, the warrior, they have great dps in melee and ranged and I don't have to carry around a dead pet. I really wanted to like the mesmer but after 3 beta weekends with the class its just so lacking where other classes shine more. I usually don't like alts but the thief will definately be my alt I play.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot