Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How successful will this game be?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Just a fun poll...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

GW2 is going to be a major, major player in the MMO genre and a "game-changer" in terms of shaping the future of this genre.

That being said, nothing is going to straight up "kill WoW" but WoW itself - and that's just a combination of time and age and limitations of their design.

If GW2 ever has more players than WoW it won't be till after another couple of years at least.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I voted on the third option down.  That's my safest bet for the time being.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

it will be successful but NOTHING like WoW. it will never make the amount of money that blizz makes off WoW.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Thralia

it will be successful but NOTHING like WoW. it will never make the amount of money that blizz makes off WoW.

No it probably will not, because it has no subscriptions, and its highly unlikely that there might be 10M people playing spending  on average $15 a month on  cosmetic items.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Just want to say that I think it is absolutely ridiculous to always talk about wow when every other game gets released.... really now, grow up

And besides people, LEARN TO DIFERENTIATE DIFFERENT TYPES OF GAMES, why the hell would this game beat wow or the hell if they are completely different games in everything, gameplay, combat, objectives, business model.... for god sake, kids this days...

I have one for you, Will the next Battlefield or Call of duty beat wow? You can level there and theres no monthly fees...

PS: But just to tell my opinion, I think this game will undoubtedly be the second most successfull MMO on the market. The last BW completely sold me to the game and it's excellent combat system and item parity (much like GW1)

Either way this will always be impossible to prove since the only number ANet will ever show is the number of sold boxes and those will surelly be alot

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Thralia

Based on what? 8 yr old game vs one not released yet?

/sigh

Can only speculate. We'll have to see where GW2 is after 8 yrs..right?:)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

GW2, SWTOR and WAR. All these three games have the same thing in common. They have enormous hype, gigantic fanbase and are getting huge media attention. In my experience, the more hype a game gets the worse it actually really is. And I don't think this will be any different. 

REALITY CHECK

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Thillian

GW2, SWTOR and WAR. All these three games have the same thing in common. They have enormous hype, gigantic fanbase and are getting huge media attention. In my experience, the more hype a game gets the worse it actually really is. And I don't think this will be any different. 

That word tells me you don't know anything about GW2 nor played it.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Just FYI, right now, if you judge success by most subs ever had....SWTOR is the most successful MMO post WoW.  I don't think it will be difficult for GW2 to beat SWTOR ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I voted it will hold it's own. I hope it exceeds my prediction.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Jessina

People are just jaded, they're more concerned with how well a game does in the market than whether they're having fun with it personally, and the worst part is they use past examples from completely different companies to support their negative viewpoint.  The question is: what if GW2 lives up to its hype?

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

why no it will be f2p in 6 months option? 

;)

Originally posted by Creslin321

Just FYI, right now, if you judge success by most subs ever had....SWTOR is the most successful MMO post WoW.  I don't think it will be difficult for GW2 to beat SWTOR ;).

World wide it was Aion and EvE , Aion got continously over 3M subs, EvE also got a lot of subs but dont remember if it was released initially before or after WoW

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Gw2 will win the mmo wars because I will be playing it. This is strictly me speaking as an individual player. I don't determine success by number of sales because Im not an owner of gw2 nor a holder of gw2 shares/stock....and my guess is neither is anyone else here. Success is determined on if you the player is playing the game.
  • OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

It won't be around as long as first Guildwars.

Not enough box sales to warrant even more money poured into it, and the realtively high investment cost wont have it hanging around like Guildwars (1) with each expansion being (partly) financed by box sales form both late newcomers and those older players buying the expansion.

If others games are not deemed succesfull enough, when some of their subscription numbers equals an annual sale of 500 000 - 1 000 000 fullprised retail copies of a game. Will Guildwars 2 sell more than 1 000 000 copies annually after release?

MMO's are not something new and refreshing anymore, we have all seen the little twists that are done with each new game.

Guildwars 2 won't change that much.

Play it while it lasts.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by Jessina

People are just jaded, they're more concerned with how well a game does in the market than whether they're having fun with it personally, and the worst part is they use past examples from completely different companies to support their negative viewpoint.  The question is: what if GW2 lives up to its hype?

That is not my case, I am usually playing games that have low hype and are commercially not too successful either. 

I purely meant the quality of the game, only if I see the example - dynamic events, it doesn't really bring anything new, it's more of the same a reharsh of the base defense in Tabula Rasa, which already at that time had consequences. People kept saying the same about all the new fabulous features that SWTOR and before WAR will bring, yet it was always unoriginal and shallow. GW2 seems exactly the same.

REALITY CHECK

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I just wanted to see the results. I think if the pvp is done really well then this game will be a serious contender.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

World wide it was Aion and EvE , Aion got continously over 3M subs, EvE also got a lot of subs but dont remember if it was released initially before or after WoW

Very true!  I guess I was talking about just the US market and didn't realize it :).  Eve also never had anywhere near the amount of simultaneous subs as SWTOR...but it sustained those subs for much longer, which is probably much more important.

Originally posted by Athisio

why no it will be f2p in 6 months option? 

;)

6 months??? Pssssh!

GW2 won't be able to sustain the sub model for even 1 month!

Very true!  I guess I was talking about just the US market and didn't realize it :).  Eve also never had anywhere near the amount of simultaneous subs as SWTOR...but it sustained those subs for much longer, which is probably much more important.

If they ever combine EvE and GW2 intoo a fantasy setting, i will play for sure ;)

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

the FACT is ArenaNet delivered EVERYTHING they said and didnt lie about anything they did

unlike bioware (probably EA fault here) and WAR.

Originally posted by liliyo

the FACT is ArenaNet delivered EVERYTHING they said and didnt lie about anything they did

unlike bioware (probably EA fault here) and WAR.

How is that a fact, when GW2 wasn't even released yet. I dont remember a single feature that Bioware or Mythic would lie about to be SWTOR or WAR, they just hyped sub-par features, similar to GW2. 

REALITY CHECK

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It will have big initial sales

Then it will have a biggish drop when all the wowites buggering off back to wow when they realise they can't win through gear.

Then it will see a steady rise over many months as the "rest of us" think thank his an mmo that doesn't suck up to the spoilt rotten raider / loot obsesives minority
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

If they ever combine EvE and GW2 intoo a fantasy setting, i will play for sure ;)

This, as long as they remove the skill system Eve uses. Eve's skill system is the only reason i was turned off to that entire game. They have a ton of redundant skills that can be consolidated

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

If we remove wow's heavily inflated 10 million number from the asian markets that don't even pay subs which is rumored to be more around 4 or 5 mill, I say yes it could possibly top those numbers here in the west based on the percieved general feeling of gamers all around and having played the game myself, the no sub also helps majorily I know personally people that don't ever touch sub games but have bought GW2.