Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IGN gives TSW 7 / 10

Comments

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

In general I think it's fair.  A 7 is good.  We've just been so biased by the inflated scores that are normally given out.  I haven't played all that far yet but so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  We'll see if it sticks.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by dougmysticey
    Originally posted by rwyan

Lifetimer here.  Loving and enjoying the game as well.

Agree with the overall review.  I think bugs are really hurting the overall "scores" we are seeing from some reviews.  It makes all the other "cracks" seem that much more bigger.  As more things go wrong, the more critical you're probably going to be of everything else.

I can't remember the last time I've run into this many bugs in a product that wasn't in beta.  I'm sure I experienced bugs in games like SWtOR and Rift... but they must've been so minor that I never consciously realized I hit a bug.  In TSW, bugs and wonkiness are almost expected :)  So yes, there is a distinct lack of polish that is dragging down the overall experience down.  Even I've logged out in frustration.

There has been one particular mission that has been "fixed" each patch... and yet it still gets into a bugged state.  It does make you question when you see "Fixed for real this time" in the patch notes.... and yet players are still running into issues :P

I will say, that I feel like many TSW reviews have been more on point/honest/realistic than other MMO reviews we've seen in the past.

What bugs are you running into? I am probably more than half way through Egypt and I have encountered exactly three bugged missions (That all seem to work now though). Other than that the game plays perfectly to me.  I am guessing the mission you are talking about above is the Black House which I have heard is still buggy for some.

I do disagree with the rating for graphics in the review. I think, on Ultra settings the game looks awesome. I also realize that you will either really enjoy the game or absolutely hate it. I have not spend a ton of time in PVP either as I am enjoying the PVE content and trying to build different skill decks.

For me, this game is almost as good as GW2 and far better than many other games that got MUCH higher scores from IGN.

I agree with your assesment of the graphics: I'm running full DX11 Ultra and it's gorgeous (getting about 75 fps+ too.) I wouldn't give it a 10 though since the character models need a bit of work... it's made me wonder if Norwegians are a plain people image I'd go 9 there.

My major disagreement with their review is  sound though. This is the best sound in any MMO I have evr played. Absolutely top-notch. 9.5... just because I never give out 10s.

I have run into many more bugs than you in quests though. It's not so much broken quests as it is breakable quests: you get 2 or 3 people interacting with the quest items at the same time and not only does it screw it up for everyone there but sometimes it breaks it. Otoh, I've never run into a bugged quest that couldn't be completed by just getting an invite to another shard where it isn't broken.

I agree with their other scores except I think they're being overly harsh guessing about lasting appeal. I'd go no lower than 7 there. So... 9, 9.5. 7, 8, 7... looks like about an 8.1 to me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Hmm, they must've not been paid enough. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I do not understand how they can justify a 7 for sound and graphic - there is not better looking mmo out, a few that have the same high level of graphic and the sounds usually fit the mood of the game very well.

So i disagree with that.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Let me add this.

If you "Only played in the beta weekends" no matter how many of them?

Your opinion on the game's score is utterly and completely worthless.

Don't even share your opinion on what the game "should be rated in your opinion". Because your opinion doesn't matter.  You didn't play the live game? Then scram, get out of here. You played some hand-out-weekend for an incomplete game and you want to share your opinion on its completed level of quality?

Get lost.

No matter how it is formed, it is still an opinion. :) Like this one. Your opinion here.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I give TSW a 9.

I only do so because its original and very entertaining.  There are some bugs and the PvP is rather bad but I can live with alot of TSW's faults because it actually trys to be different from the WoW clones.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

My score...my opinion after 3 week

Gameplay : 7.5 /10

sound: 9/10

music:7/10

Graphic :8/10

pvp:6.5/10

pve and storyline:9/10

longivity:7/10

so i give 7.5/10 for TWS ..but i like funcom..

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Sounds exactly right.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by JosephJR

compared IGN's another mmorpg rewiews I dissagree

they score  sound 7/10...it should be 10/10

they score graphic 7/10 shoul be 10/10

they score gameplay 7/10 should be 8/10,personal 9/10

they score presentation 8/10 should be 9/10

they score lasting appeal  6/10...should be 8/10....personal 9/10

i dislike in TSW  ; cut scenes & voice acting(  devs should stop with that crap in MMORPG's) , PvP(tryed & still trying  find some fun but it is  bad

newsflash, there is no such thing as should be in a review, your opinion =/= fact, and you certainly cant tell someone else what their opinion should be.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

IGN gave SW:TOR a 9 out of 10.

That says it all right there.

I agree they rate games much higher then they should be ...knock about 3 off every score and you will have a more realistic view of a games worth and rating

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Zarriya

they score  sound 7/10.....imho.it should be 8-9/10

they score graphic 7/10 ....imho should be 9/10

they score gameplay 7/10....imho it should be 9/10

they score presentation 8/10 .....imho  it should be 9/10

they score lasting appeal  6/10...i sadly agree, but we shall see..

9/10 is "damn near perfect" and there has never been a MMORPG even after many years reach that score in any area the way I rate them.

7 to 7.5 is where I feel the title is so far, but I'm still on Solomon island working my way forward.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WhyhateWhyhate Member Posts: 41

Sound: 7

Graphics: 8

Gameplay: 6

Presentation: 8

Lasting appeal: 5

Imo

Yeah i agree with the review, 6.5 / 7 at best.

However... IGN already lost it's last shred of dignity when they gave SWTOR a 9 or something like that.... a 5 is too generous for that turd.

Now it's on the level of PC Gamer, with their Dragon Age 2 "RPG of the decade" & "best combat ever" paid review.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

They gave Swtor a 9 so I already know they get paid for the reviews

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

It's too early to rate the longevity portion.  You need to let things settle and actually reach "end game".  They, as well as I, overrated SWTOR before really testing end game.

TSW has nice art direction but crappy animations.  Crappy animations should hurt your gameplay score big time.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by bcbully

Funny how real people think the game is a 8-9.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

If you think Metacritic user ratings = real people, you sir are confused.

Metacritic user ratings are the biggest pile of crap on the planet - so easily skewed and manipulated, they are about as accurate of a judge as polling about gay marriage at an Evangelical church.

And you know this how?  Just curious -- how did you find out about all the fake people writing reviews on metacritic?

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283

I guess funcom did pay IGN the proper "fee" for a top notch review. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Dont agree with it at all really..

Overall I think i would rate it an 8-8.5 mainly because its a themepark game.

Graphics in the game are very good, the world graphics are amazing, cahracter models are not the best I have seen but some of the best in an MMORPG.. Sound is awesoem as well..

its not a good review really simple as that.. how they managed to rate SWTOR 9 and give this a 7 LOL.. Im glad i dont put my faith in reviews from gaem sites anymore...

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Dont agree with it at all really..

Overall I think i would rate it an 8-8.5 mainly because its a themepark game.

Graphics in the game are very good, the world graphics are amazing, cahracter models are not the best I have seen but some of the best in an MMORPG.. Sound is awesoem as well..

its not a good review really simple as that.. how they managed to rate SWTOR 9 and give this a 7 LOL.. Im glad i dont put my faith in reviews from gaem sites anymore...

I never ever in my life paid any attention to ratings, doesn't matter who or where. Even if there's no favouritism, conspiracies and coruption behind, there's still people with their own view and preferences behind.

Anyway The Siren wants you people in TSW

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Comparing it to their other more recent MMORPG reviews, I don't agree with it. Forgetting some past reviews, I could see their judgement as being more valid.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

only played it a couple of hours during a BWE but I would agree with the over all score of 7/10 but would score each component differently. Also I would have seperated graphics from animations. I thought the sound was better than they scored it and also the artwork. My big beefs were the combat , the animation, and the gameplay. Took me about 2 hours to decide it was not teh next game for me

I miss DAoC

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I give it an 8.

I mean really, funcom has done an excellent job in the face of doomsayers claiming the servers were gona explode at launch.

No one shouts praise, but would of been quick of the mark to condemn them. sad.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Let me add this.

If you "Only played in the beta weekends" no matter how many of them?

Your opinion on the game's score is utterly and completely worthless.

Don't even share your opinion on what the game "should be rated in your opinion". Because your opinion doesn't matter.  You didn't play the live game? Then scram, get out of here. You played some hand-out-weekend for an incomplete game and you want to share your opinion on its completed level of quality?

Get lost.

Having played both, the difference is worth at most 0.5 of a point.

The so called Beta weekends (Marketing weekends and server stress tests would be more accurate) were designed to give the game exposure and build a fan base.  No real testing other than server loads and player content pathing (IE looking at which way players actually consume the game) come from these weekends.

Actual testing is done in ongoing close tests, believe me when ANY game starts giving away "Beta" keys on any major gaming site then you have to understand that the product is in its final builds and very little will change prior to the live lockdown.

Now if your argument was that the game opens up more at higher level content and that full access to the skill wheel means that people who only played the weekends do not have a full view of the game then fair enough.

But to try and invalidate their input as though the one month between weekends and launch some how saw an expansions worth of content added is just plain wrong.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by strangesands
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by bcbully

Funny how real people think the game is a 8-9.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

If you think Metacritic user ratings = real people, you sir are confused.

Metacritic user ratings are the biggest pile of crap on the planet - so easily skewed and manipulated, they are about as accurate of a judge as polling about gay marriage at an Evangelical church.

And you know this how?  Just curious -- how did you find out about all the fake people writing reviews on metacritic?

Common knowledge.

Far too many people who post 10s or 0s on Metacritic to make it worth a damn. Just like the "hype" ratings on MMORPG.com - far too many people do a 10 for games they like and 0 for games they don't.

Vast majority do NOT do a fair, balanced, objective review before they click their score.

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

For those here that are basing their opinions on a beta weekend, you dont actually know what the score should be since they have patched the game and it is now released.

Personally I give it an 8.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Kothoses

Let me add this. If you "Only played in the beta weekends" no matter how many of them? Your opinion on the game's score is utterly and completely worthless. Don't even share your opinion on what the game "should be rated in your opinion". Because your opinion doesn't matter.  You didn't play the live game? Then scram, get out of here. You played some hand-out-weekend for an incomplete game and you want to share your opinion on its completed level of quality? Get lost.

Having played both, the difference is worth at most 0.5 of a point.

The so called Beta weekends (Marketing weekends and server stress tests would be more accurate) were designed to give the game exposure and build a fan base.  No real testing other than server loads and player content pathing (IE looking at which way players actually consume the game) come from these weekends.

Actual testing is done in ongoing close tests, believe me when ANY game starts giving away "Beta" keys on any major gaming site then you have to understand that the product is in its final builds and very little will change prior to the live lockdown.

Now if your argument was that the game opens up more at higher level content and that full access to the skill wheel means that people who only played the weekends do not have a full view of the game then fair enough.

But to try and invalidate their input as though the one month between weekends and launch some how saw an expansions worth of content added is just plain wrong.

True that. 100+ hours of really checking how the game works is ample to form an opinion. I also feel my opinion always gonna be worth more than a bigoted }{^%#cloth with an agenda.

IGN really don't have a clue but 7 is a pretty poor score for them especially for a game published by the ' evil empire'. Maybe they forgot to stump up ad fees for TSW?