Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so far the questing has been really lame

Comments

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by hpisti

Because having 2000 "kill x and report back to me so I can send your ass off to kill y and report back to me again" type quests are less "lame" and so much more fun.

Yes, there are "kill" type quests in the game. Of course you could have tried another race or progress beyond level 1.

lol.....this ^^

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by bcbully

Hmmmmm. Are the quests any better than Tera?

What it sounds like is that where Tera did not have the budget  to add voice acting after the world saw reading quest text in 2011 was just dumb, GW2 had the budget to tack some voice on late in development. Is this why the story quest cut scenes are just two pictures talking?

Depends on if you like having dozens of 'go kill X' quests, and no voice overs.

And I don't know if you can call the voice acting in GW2 'tacked on, considering it's everywhere in the game, and the game has a massive amount of content. They've been adding voice to the game for over a year.

For over a year? That's kind of what I htought. Do you think it was planned from the start? Or do you think it was a reaction to swtor? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

then go back to your kill X this kill Y 

come back to me,take this,go there,give it to paul

repeat

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by MattVid
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I hope it gets better than what i have seen so far.

In last weeks beta i was turned in a cat and hunted rabbits, i had to feed cows, i had to follow some wolf around to get credit for quest, and i had to pick up eggs off the ground and put them in a nest.

these are just the stupid ass quest that i remember, there were many more.  please tell me that this isnt it, these are some of the most care bear quest i have ever seen in a game. most of them i didnt even have to kill anything.....

Those were the renown hearts and not even the "main part of the game". Do the "orange events", the dynamic events. The heart quests are not really meant to be interesting, but serve as more of a guide to show you where level appropriate content is.

This is more in response to Drunk, then Matt (Matt you make some good suggestions).

I just wanted to address something that I've been seeing quite a lot of in regards to the questing in this game.

I've seen a lot of whinning to the tune of: 'I had to do this, and then I had to do that...' well, NO you don't. You don't have to do anything in this game. If a quest seems lame, don't do it. There is no obligation to do any particular quest (aside from the personal story, to a certain extent). Hell, you could lvl entirely from gathering crafting materials and selling them if you wanted to.

The game is setup w/ a variety of quests and quest types.  The key word being variety. You can choose to do the ones you like, and completely ignore the rest. Furthermore, if you can't help but fill up all the little hearts on your map, you can also fill them up by doing nearby DEs.  It's also important to keep in mind that every zone has it's own atmosphere, it's own backstory, and it's own 'vibe'. You're not going to stumble across the norn lands, having to deal w/ renegade technology, or evil plant monsters. It's the frozen tundra, and it feels like it. Similarly, you are going to find way more farming-type quests in queensdale, than you would in metrica province, or planes of ashford.

Try different zones, different races. Each one feels VERY different from the next. I see a lot of people complaining 'oh these quests are lame, I'm just watering crops!'. Well, if you hate watering crops, then why are you hanging around a farm? Go attack a centaur village, go check out some asuran labs, go wage war in the planes of ashford, or hunt some ghosts. The choice is entirely yours.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

What it sounds like is that where Tera did not have the budget  to add voice acting after the world saw reading quest text in 2011 was just dumb, GW2 had the budget to tack some voice on late in development. Is this why the story quest cut scenes are just two pictures talking?

And I don't know if you can call the voice acting in GW2 'tacked on, considering it's everywhere in the game, and the game has a massive amount of content. They've been adding voice to the game for over a year.

For over a year? That's kind of what I htought. Do you think it was planned from the start? Or do you think it was a reaction to swtor? 

gw2 last year said it had over 60 feature films worth of voice acting. i am not sure but I think it takes a lot of planning an all those fun things to have that much voice acting or but maybe its just me.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

From all the betas i did not do pve, but from my experience and perference pve is lame in general no matter which game, it just feels like a grind to me wherever it is.  :p

More of a hardcore pvp fan.

OP, I really don't know what you were expecting in a combat base game. They are very few thigns you can do that would work AND prevent some asshat from ruining the Dynamic event for everybody else. The DE in guild wars 2 is in the presentation which is just like the way the real work sometimes works. 

They've been talking about adding it for a while now.

I dunno if you've ever worked on a game, but adding stuff like this at the last minute is nearly impossible. Without proper groundwork laid in place to build the content off of, they would maybe be able to voice parts of the personal story if they rushed it, but not the whole thing. And certaintly not the entire game.

I don't know how much of the final product is influenced by SWTOR (I would argue very little). They've talked about having such a feature for long before SWTOR was released.

Keep in mind. GW1 also had cinematics that were voiced. They just didn't manage to have voice overs for every single quest / npc.

Originally posted by xalvi

From all the betas i did not do pve, but from my experience and perference pve is lame in general no matter which game, it just feels like a grind to me wherever it is.  :p

Well your problem is that you hate PvE. I personally like both PvE and PvP. Both of them appeal to different aspects of me. Killing  mobs are fun, but killing some jackweed is even better  but I couldn't spend all my time just pvping.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by silvermember

gw2 last year said it had over 60 feature films worth of voice acting. i am not sure but I think it takes a lot of planning an all those fun things to have that much voice acting or but maybe its just me.

the voice acting video ANET uploaded was from Dec 2009 -- 2.5 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te4FK_6JLwE

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by silvermember
    Originally posted by xalvi

Well your problem is that you hate PvE. I personally like both PvE and PvP. Both of them appeal to different aspects of me. Killing  mobs are fun, but killing some jackweed is even better  but I couldn't spend all my time just pvping.

Hate is a strong word. More of prefering my time spent 80% pvp/20% pve, its just id rather fight actual people that thinks than programmed pixels lol.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

What quests?

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by AZHokie54

What quests?

The Heart quests. Or were you being intentionally dense in an attempt to make it seem like GW2 doesn't have questing?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by hpisti

Because having 2000 "kill x and report back to me so I can send your ass off to kill y and report back to me again" type quests are less "lame" and so much more fun.

Yes, there are "kill" type quests in the game. Of course you could have tried another race or progress beyond level 1.

That's what i was thinking, where in the world was he? and why didn't he get past the beginer zone? Every gameplay walkthrough starter zone I've ever seen had these as optional, and every zone including the little Stitch race had events that didn't involve counting the number of chickens that will hatch soon for the harvest.

Sort of boggles the mind. Why did he remain that that old man's farm that long because that's what it looks like he did.

I totally agree with you on the other point to, that somehow those kill x rats quests are so much more fun right, because that's all we've ever seen in the games out there is that over and over, even in games where there was high enough technology that you could if they did the IP right communicate remotely instead of you having to run back to camp every quest to turn them in. That's one of the things they did right. Who needs to talk to anyone. Once the quest is done the rewards just popup in inventory or currency wallet. poof next.

Originally posted by rygard49

What quests?

The Heart quests. Or were you being intentionally dense in an attempt to make it seem like GW2 doesn't have questing?

Heart guides aren't quests they are guides to show you whats happening in a zone at that particular moment, so are you intentionally trying to make it seem like GW2 is like other games "kill X rats quests run back and turn in" because we both know it's not, one doesn't HAVE to talk to the heart guys.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Renown Hearts in the early levels of the game aren't very epic because they are there to teach you how the game works. Just like in every other MMOG your first quest isn't 'go kill the dragon', it's 'go kill 10 rats' or 'go learn your first spell'. Simple 'quests' that teach you how the game works and introduces the games mechanics. These early Renown Hearts are also located where a lot of Dynamic Events take place, and this is by design. Because as you do hearts, you'll encounter more and more DE's and learn how they function.

By the 15+ zone you stop focusing on the Renown Hearts. DE's become much broader and shape the world around you in a much more realistic sense. Players stop focusing on Renown Hearts and learn to explore and to just let the content flow as you play the game. You still do the hearts because the rewards are very good, from a nice boost of xp and coin but also they turn into vendors you can spend your karma to pick up armor sets specific to the zone, etc.

In the end the OP is a troll because obviously all he did was the first two or three in the Norn and Human zones and called it quits. His entire intention was to find fault, not to learn the game or enjoy the experience. Don't feed the trolls.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Mexorilla
    Originally posted by bookworm438 Originally posted by DrunkWolf Originally posted by Mexorilla Originally posted by DrunkWolf I hope it gets better than what i have seen so far. In last weeks beta i was turned in a cat and hunted rabbits, i had to feed cows, i had to follow some wolf around to get credit for quest, and i had to pick up eggs off the ground and put them in a nest. these are just the stupid ass quest that i remember, there were many more.  please tell me that this isnt it, these are some of the most care bear quest i have ever seen in a game. most of them i didnt even have to kill anything.....
    those all sound like the Renown Hearts.  i find most of them boring and trivial.  Some of them are creative and fun,  but for the most part they suck.  most of the zones content is dynamic events.  i found the best way to play is to pick a direction and go explore.  this may not work for you but it helped me alot.  the hearts are there to guide players to differnt parts of the map.  the level 80 zone doesnt even have these hearts.  really other than these hearts there ae no quests other than the personal story.  go explore and find evvents and happening the game plays much better that way.
     yeah thats a good idea, the events were much better. i just hoped it got better after the starter zones thats all, i did 3 starter zones for different races and my god those heart quest things were really stupid.
    Then don't do them. It's as simple as that. The game gives crazy amounts of exp for doing pretty much anything. But from what it sounds like, this isn't the game for you. 
    why would you say that?  the game play pretty different from other games.  and he's right the hearts are boring.  he did them beause they were on the map.  because thatss how you play most games.  im sick of gw2 a-holes telling people they shouldnt play the game.  from the sound of it youre a douche bag.

You're not limited by questing at all in game. You can choose to spend all your time pvping, wvw or crafting if that's your thing. It's a new game and we only know what we were allowed to see during beta weekends. I say if there's an aspect of the game you don't like but like others it's a viable way to spend your time.

Originally posted by itgrowls

What quests?

Heart guides aren't quests they are guides to show you whats happening in a zone at that particular moment, so are you intentionally trying to make it seem like GW2 is like other games "kill X rats quests run back and turn in" because we both know it's not, one doesn't HAVE to talk to the heart guys.

It's really a matter of perspective. Whether you wish to call them quests or not is irrelevant. Heart NPCs function like traditional quests in GW2, and the Anet devs have stated as much. This isn't to say that they aren't different, because there is a bit of difference between a heart NPC and a traditional quest, but they are most definitely this game's version of a traditional quest.

You show up, you do a task, you get a reward.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

OP has a point. I don't think they are slating the quest 'system' but actually the theme of the quests. Most people on this thread have just jumping into uber GW2 defense mode and totally understood it wrong. A lot of the ones early on do seem very childish and/or silly.. like the norn one where the rabbits can knock you over or the human one to catch the rabbits. I get exactly what the OP means.. I just killed a giant golem and saved the town from centaurs but now you want me to catch all these rabbits so they don't eat all the vegetables? I agree with you OP, I don't like it either.

Thankfully OP this doesn't continue through the later zones, from what I have seen.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

What quests?

It's been generally accepted that the Hearts are reminiscent of traditonal questing. Let's not play the semantics game, it's never fun for any involved.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

It's really a matter of perspective. Whether you wish to call them quests or not is irrelevant. Heart NPCs function like traditional quests in GW2, and the Anet devs have stated as much. This isn't to say that they aren't different, because there is a bit of difference between a heart NPC and a traditional quest, but they are most definitely this game's version of a traditional quest.

You show up, you do a task, you get a reward.

They are the games version of quests. They are better than traditional quests because they offer a variety of tasks to complete , but that's besides the point. Anet has said they only put Renown Hearts into the game to help players who are used to that 'lead by the hand' style of most themeparks. They found that without them, your typical WoW player just didn't know what to do. They got confused and lost. They passed by events that were ongoing and when asked why, they said 'because I don't have a quest for it.' There are a lot of conventions in typical themeparks like WoW that just don't cary over to GW2, and that is one of them. It's why each zone progressively has less and less renown hearts (up to the 30's as far as we've seen in beta.) It's why we also know that the final zone, Orr, there are no renown hearts.

• Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    Originally posted by hundejahre

So what's your idea of a good quest?

I can't speak for the OP, but for me a good quest would be one that doesn't require me to use my imagination to believe it's actually happening, can be done cooperatively instead of competitively with other people performing the same quest, allows me to have a real impact on the game, and happen spontaneously/dynamically with chaining (based on outcome) to other quests.

If there were quests like that I'd be on cloud 9.

You realize that what you just described are dynamic events in GW2...

Really?  Are you sure about that?  Because if that were the case it would be revolutionary.

What quests?

It's been generally accepted that the Hearts are reminiscent of traditonal questing. Let's not play the semantics game, it's never fun for any involved.

Definitely not playing a game. They aren't quests because you don't HAVE to do them. They are guides to show you how the DE system works. Quest givers in traditional games require that you pick up their quests and then turn them in to them. There's a huge difference and anyone who says otherwise is not dealing head on with reality, they are in their own little semantic world not the other way around.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Just remember - there are only about 300 Heart Quests in the game.

Just 300.

There are over 1,500 Dynamic Events in GW2.

There are more Points of Interest to explore than Heart Quests - almost 3 times as many.

There are more Waypoint for fast travel to unlock then their are Heart Quests.

The ratio of Heart Quests to Events is purposefully a lot higher in the early zones to help guide new players.

Proof?

The Map tells you how many of what there are in the game... (this is an old picture)

http://mystaffisbiggerthanyours.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/21.jpg

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think the OP generalizes too much about quests, but I think that some DE's/hearts are definitely better than others, that's for sure.

I hated many of the norn starting area hearts, especially the stupid snow leopard one.  But then again, I loved some of the ones in the Charr area, like the flame shaman.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

This discussion has been closed.