Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its a kids game

2»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

not sure I would call it a kids game but it sure is a explorers game. I had a ball just wandering around and falling into experiance points. For me that beat he heck out of  the old do this quest chain then run over there and do that quest chain style of gameplay

I miss DAoC

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Ok, guys: a little class in irony. OP states that the game is for kids in title. Sounds like a trollpost for flaming. Then you enter and you find a very nice post saying that yeah, playing a game awakens the kid in all of us, especially Guid Wars 2 for a number of reasons. It means that OP has played on the meaning the word "for kids": he knows what this implies normally, he knows its supposed to be deprecative for the game. But what he wants to do is show another facet of the idea of "for kids", which is overlooked because nowadays, although it's a simple game, everyone seems to think its so serious and adult and etc... I understand this is an MMORPG forum, but being so serious about them that considering that one is for children becomes a bad thing is forgetting that it's a game.

Btw, another comment: it's also for kids because if you have some, it's the kind of MMO you can play with them. Everyone is helpful to other people, fighting is only against well defined, consenting players or inhuman enemies, and you're pretty sure they won't spend the night doing instance runs behind your back. It's not all these "educational" games, it's a real VG for gamers not for parents, but it's child-friendly

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by BACONX

I would say (IMO) that a big chunk of the people, that have extra income for video games, are looking for the casual. Our "generation" grew up on the EQs and perhaps even ultima online. A majority of us now work, have families and have overall matured in some form or another (if not behaviour then hopefully perspective). We innately strive for a casual game because of all the other duties we now have. Ten or twenty years ago I would rush to level not because I was that hard core but because I had the time. If this game is truly casual fun then I think it will garner a big amount of support from people that play video games- at least from the "older guy" perspective.

well said, schedualing 6 to 12 hours of my time for raids was fun years ago but that was then this is now

I miss DAoC

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by fivoroth

The only game that is for real men is Hello Kitty Online.

Damn right!

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Leviano
    Originally posted by fivoroth

The only game that is for real men is Hello Kitty Online.

Damn right!

Wait, you're forgetting Habbo. I heard it was really not for children! :p

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think you would have been better off saying that GW2 makes you feel like a kid again, rather than that it is a kids game :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I think you would have been better off saying that GW2 makes you feel like a kid again, rather than that it is a kids game :).

I dont really think it would have mattered at all...  People are allways finding somethign to nitpick about instead of actually discussing the topic

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    OP: Just the inception of your meaning had about 2 layers built on top of it! I like your point btw, the ArenaNet artists were big on the environment being like another character wherever you travel. And damn they are talented.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    In GW2 it can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be and still progress all the same.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I dont really think it would have mattered at all...  People are allways finding somethign to nitpick about instead of actually discussing the topic

For someone with so many posts im surprised you don't know how most trolls operate.

They see a title of a thread and go in with a predisposed opinion to vent, often they don't even read the OP.

Your title is a bit misleading and Creslin really is right, change the title to that and you'll get a different response....im not saying it'll be any more positive but it'll at least help funnel the trolls into some sort of cohesion.

For what it's worth, i had the same opinion, GW2 is really fresh and exciting, particularly the pve which i found very entertaining. However a few hours in pvp and that really vanished as i quickly realised GW2 is not DAoC2 by any stretch of the imagination. It's a modern interpretation of the three "realm" system dumbed down for the modern mmorpg zerging masses.

I don't mind zergs, DAoC was about 90% zerg warfare, but i hate the fact that numbers are all that counts. You'll never see 20 players beat a zerg of 100 no matter how good they are, you'll CERTAINLY never see the likes of Dem Hibbies 8-man destroying a 200 man Alb zerg at AMG. GW2 is very homogenised and safe, which im afraid i find a tad boring when it comes to playing pvp for hours on end. This, however, is the modern cookie-cutter mmorpg pvp approach. Hats off to DF and EvE for trying something different but neither really came up with anything too far removed from the apple tree.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

Lord.Bachus, your thread titles always have me opening them expecting something negative, and then it's not.  Is that on purpose? :)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

How far have you played in the beta? Because I found what you're saying to be true levels around 1-20.. after that though you kinda had to start watching how many things you pull and figure out the safest way to get to an objective, if you were solo that is. I expect it to get even more demanding 40+.

I get what you mean, that you don't feel pushed in a particular direction and can choose your own path, but what I'm saying is that once the difficulty starts ramping up it does become very far away from carefree. There will be areas you will struggle getting to on your own but, yes, it's still at your leisure whether or not you try to go there.

It's all good and well being able to merrily do what you want when all the beta zergs are around.. but how long will they last come release?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm a kid at 38, so yes it's definately for kids of all ages image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by Clob

Lord.Bachus, your thread titles always have me opening them expecting something negative, and then it's not.  Is that on purpose? :)

Sometimes it is. Its an old trick i learned from some salesmen, and it works really well to give your post the attention it needs, as long as people read the full post tough. I think it turned intoo a habbit. And one i am not going to change anytime soon. It triggers most people however to read the full post, and think about it, because it is controversery with the title. ]its kind of a brainteaser

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Tayah

I'm a kid at 38, so yes it's definately for kids of all ages image

Wisely spoken