Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion--GW2 or TSW

Comments

• pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Wizlock23

AS title says, i am looking for feedback on if i should put my money into TSW or GW2-  i Have yet to play TSW as it does not have a trial at this time, but i have tried beta for GW2.  Just looking for some honest opinions on which you think would be a better long term game to play  and give a few reasons why ( i.e graphics, etc etc ) .

Im not looking for a pissing contest here on which is gonna have more subs blah blah blah, just general feedback based on your experience with either .

Thanks in advance ,

Wizzy

Guild Wars 2 will be a better value for your money.

-No subscription fee

-Balanced competitive PVP

-No gear grinds

-Huge open world with dynamic events

-Downscaled to lower lvl when entering low lvl zones

-World vs World vs World PVP

-Personal story with choices that impact future choices

-Home instance

-Exotic armor sets

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Both:

Because they are very different to each other & to the wider market.

• pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

As far as I can tell, both TSW and GW2 will have the same problem: Endgame.

TSW has the standard gear progression endgame and PVP, but the PVP is not very engaging at this stage.

GW2 is "not about gear progression", so I've no idea what the PVE endgame will consist of. But the WvWvW PVP certainly looks attractive at this stage.

So I'd have to say that if PVP is your main focus, (at this stage) it looks like GW2 will keep you entertained for longer.

I emphasize "at this stage" often, because we have yet to see what the verdict will be on GW2 once players have played 134 hours of it in 2 weeks. Playing any entertaining game intensively for 2 days (BWE) is a huge high. But that high is not sustainable in the long term, anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves.

A month after launch, some people have finished all the content (that they want to do) in TSW. GW2 has not launched, but over in the GW2 forums people are speculating that it will take the hardcore players a week at most to reach L80. Another week or 2 to explore the world and they'll be done with the content they want to do. So the PVE end-result looks pretty similar for both games.

Will WvWvW matches (that last 2 weeks and then reset) against random opponents (whom you may not fight again for weeks or months) keep people entertained forever ? Only time will tell...

EDIT: But why not hedge your bets ? Buy and play both. You can see most of TSW's PVE content in the free 30 days, and a 1-month sub every 3 months will keep you busy with some very entertaining quests. The rest of the time, play GW2. No additional cost there if you can resist the CS.

So TSWs endgame is bad because it is a gearbased endgame while GW2s is bad because it isn´t?

Uhm , what do you want?

What I want is irrelevant in this discussion.

What I was referring to in my post was the fact that the number one complaint on themepark forums is: "There's no endgame content !"

Those complaints are already popping up on the TSW forums. Some people have already taken their character progression (vertically) as far as they want to go, and now "they have nothing to do", and they''re blaming the game for having no endgame content.

I can only assume that GW2 players are not interested in endgame content, because many are proud to proclaim that it HAS no endgame. So after L80 they will either PVP 24/7 or stop playing. I've no idea what L80 players do in GW2 if they don't PVP.

What do people do when the play team fortress 2 or Call of Duty?

GW2 isn't an item grind farming gear festival. The selling point of GW2 is the dynamic events, personal story and WvWvW PVP. I can garuntee you that everyone will be in WvWvW PVP.

All American servers were full and all WvWvW servers were full during the last beta weekend event.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by bcbully

If your looking for depth of systems and you love to tweek you toon TSW is hands down the best game you will play. 

Do you like to theorycraft? Do you like being unique? Do you like challenges in you game?  TSW is a throw back to an ealier day.  A day when you leared from making mistakes. The best guilds wipe in the dungeons and the PvP is hard. It's throw back to a day where if you put the time in you will be rewarded. 

TSW is a game made buy gamers. It shows in every inch of the game. 

Of course, the same exact thing could be said about GW2 as well (not gonna bring up some GW2 vs. TSW stuff here, just pointing this out). Both of these games are trying to return in some way to the past age of gaming; GW2 is really encouraging exploration, difficulty, and team play right alongside TSW.

One thing I love about GW2 though, is ArenaNet. I've never seen an MMO developer more active in their community; devs constantly post and read forums and take feedback, talk and play directly with players, and make changes based on what their gamers want. They really seem to love what they're doing and it absolutely shines through.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by crysent
    Originally posted by Lokomotiv
    Originally posted by essaidi

Played GW2 and TSW

Still playing: TSW

why? Well its pretty simple for me, I'm not into games that don't get updated regulerly and that suddenly dies out. The fact that Gw 1 and 2 are F2P makes the updates thin' out, since there ain't going to be money in the long run for Dev's to keep making stuff (don't come with your fanboi crap here at start making shit up, you know its true) also people don't seem to care as much for the rules and such when its a F2P game as when they pay monthly to play it. And also (I will get flamed for this) GW2 is a kiddy game compared to TSW, and I played enough WoW, Warhammer,  LoTR, D&D and so on, I'm getting tired of the same old crap (yes it is the same old crap that we all played a million times before) the question you need to ask yourself is simple, If you like an easy "same old" kind'a game, that you don't have to pay monthly for and that has a community full of 10- 16 year old people GW2 is the way to go, If you want to try something brand new something you have not tired before, where you have to pay monthly, and a great adult community you should buy TSW... 

Flame on kiddos!

This has to be the most mature thing I have eard lately *sarcasm*. Really shows how much better the TSW community is comparing with GW2 comunity. 

I'm sorry but these types of statements are crazy.  I've been playing TSW since beta (still playing) and while I have enjoyed the game the community is absolutly no different then any game I've ever played before.  It's full of its idiots and 10 year old @#$% talkers just like every other game out there.

This.

No one in this thread should be pretending GW2 or TSW will have better communities. This is an online game in 2012. The communities will not be very good. Just like in every MMO in the last ten years. And no, don't come in here and pretend your anecdotal evvidence means anything to the contrary. Each and every MMO has its fair share of trolls, assholes, and gankers. What really matters is what the game does to discourage this type of activity. In GW2 there are several systems to try to limit this (not sure what TSW has, but I'm sure they have some stuff as well). They prevent griefing as much as possible, they encourage team work an supporting others, and they make partying an organic rather than artificial system. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Both games have something to offer players. For me, the sub fee would be the deciding factor. If GW2 had a sub and TSW did not have a sub, I'd probably be leaning towards TSW. Since GW2 is the one without a sub, that's the one I'm leaning towards.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

AS title says, i am looking for feedback on if i should put my money into TSW or GW2-  i Have yet to play TSW as it does not have a trial at this time, but i have tried beta for GW2.  Just looking for some honest opinions on which you think would be a better long term game to play  and give a few reasons why ( i.e graphics, etc etc ) .

Im not looking for a pissing contest here on which is gonna have more subs blah blah blah, just general feedback based on your experience with either .

Thanks in advance ,

Wizzy

Go with GW2 for now, since you tried it out and liked it.

You got GW2 promoting a high fantasy, steam punk mmo where as TSW is promoting more of a modern mmo setting with todays conspiracy secrets meets a world gone to hell.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Played both betas.

TSW at the end of the day was "YAWN" more of the same ol' same ol' and really didn't excite me.  Go here got there rehash of stuff.  Great setting and intresting stories but mechanics didn't hook me and felt like the same old grind machine.

GW2 had me always wanting from more and played non stop the entire weekend and made me lose intrest in any other game.  Everything I loved about it and didn't feel any grinding whatsoever with a rich and beutiful world that has me drooling of what it will be like in later levels.

For me GW2 hands down.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by keenber

For me its without doubt TSW much better value for money as GW2 will last 2 weeks tops for me.

value for money? gw2 is one buy and tsw is ongoing sub. 

my vote goes for gw2 eventho these are matter of tastes, 2 different games with same mmo mechanic tho.

Originally posted by liliyo

what a question lol ofc gw2 

TSW only have nice investigation quest the rest is crap

I could say something about GW2, but I will show my respect to the folks that are enjoying GW2 for what it is.

Just goes to show you the maturity level that this game will attract, even though TSW also has it fair share as well.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

OP would you tell us which one you got already??

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

I could say something about GW2, but I will show my respect to the folks that are enjoying GW2 for what it is.

Just goes to show you the maturity level that this game will attract, even though TSW also has it fair share as well.

This is MMORPG, a cesspool of immature shit talkers of "You game suks, mine's BETTER"  "NU-UH!!!  Your's SUKS, MINE is BETTER!!!"  Both games are attracting immaturity that is the internet.

But yes people should give their opinions and not trash talk the other.

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Thanks all . Took me forever to read all that and pick out the trolls and one-sided comments from actual pros cons . I am leaning towards gwen2 at this point . I really want a trial key for tsw before buying
  • shaderhackershaderhacker Member Posts: 4

I have to chime in here on this topic!

I currently own TSW and I played the GW2 beta.  Here are my impressions of the GW2 beta:

* Intro is typical and short.

* No voice-acting for sidequests.

* Graphics are really dated.

* Shadow code is very unoptimized. I got like 20-28fps with "Ultra" shadows turned on. Putting them on "Low" gave me like 20fps more. Ouch. And the shadows aren't that impressive anyway.

* Animation for walking is superb. Definitely better than TSW. Fight animation is too fast and snappy. I much rather prefer the many frames in TSW. I hate the special moves in GW2. They move too fast and it feels like a fighting game.

* Voice-acting is general is a mixed bag. Some quests have good voice-actors, whereas others like the Charr have bad voice-acting.

* The dynamic events aren't emotional enough. They feel truly random and tacked into the game. Everybody just goes and fights at the same time. Feels a LOT like Rift.

* Music is ok.

* UI is really well done and polished.

* Environments look pretty good.

* Quests are the same as any other MMO. Only the game walks you to waypoints to get them.

* I dont' like how most people you talk to have the same sentence.

If you are looking for the same old tried and true MMORPG, then go with GW2.  You'll get a little bit of Rift, WoW and a few Tera in there.

If you want a game that's intriguing, best graphics to date (PERIOD), awesome NPCs and quests that you remember, and great PvE, then go for TSW.

-M

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Where is the poll?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

You do realize that by making this statement that you are saying exactly what you said you would not say out of respect for others?

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Thanks all . Took me forever to read all that and pick out the trolls and one-sided comments from actual pros cons . I am leaning towards gwen2 at this point . I really want a trial key for tsw before buying

I think that's a good stance...that's basically how I am too.

I really feel like GW2 is an amazing game.  Not everyone will like it, but most will.  Basically, my feeling is that if you don't have anything against GW2 aesthetically or thematically, and you don't have a problem with all themepark games, then you will probably love GW2.  I can't really see any other reasons why someone wouldn't like it.  IMO, it is the best implementation of the themepark model to date.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by VassagoMael

You do realize that by making this statement that you are saying exactly what you said you would not say out of respect for others?

It seems your thinking too deep.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I'd go with GW2 simply because I hate Funcom. I refuse to give those jerks a third chance after  Anarchy Online  and AoC. Apparently other people are much nicer than me.

Smile

I ended up buying TSW-  and will see how it goes . If i get a buddy key i will be sure to pass it on . Also i plan to buy GW2 as well, as its no sub i figure i can get both and if i dont like GW2  im only out 50$ or so and can ply it after updates etc etc . As for TSW , i plan to try it , if i dont like it i wont resub, but i watched at leat 30 videos today ( instead of working :P ) on gameplay and i LOVE zombie movies/games, so it was a easy sell lol .

So thanks everyone for the feedback and help. I will play and come back and update this thread with my feedback on TSW

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

If you want entertainment on a budget, you have to give gw2 a try.  It's only 60$.  Not alot to loss.

Originally posted by laokoko

If you want entertainment on a budget, you have to give gw2 a try.  It's only 60$.  Not alot to loss.

Thats my plan, i figure i can spare the 50$ for TSW , and if it only brings me a few weeks of fun ....that will get me to GW2 and its release date :)

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I like both.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I think GW2 will blow TSW out of the water.....People bitch about SWTOR then praise TSW when they are basically the same game in a different skin......A year from now GW2 will still be 50 bucks and TSW will be f2p with a small pop.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I'd go with GW2 simply because I hate Funcom. I refuse to give those jerks a third chance after  Anarchy Online  and AoC. Apparently other people are much nicer than me.

It's not about being nice, it's about appreciating a good game when you find it.

In any case, GW2 is more casual friendly, thus will have much broader appeal. It's like compairing Diablo III and TSW, the former has a much broader appeal, but the later has its own niche characteristics that will appeal to certain people.