Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion--GW2 or TSW

Comments

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149

I bought TSW, played hardcore for 2 days, then got incredibly bored of it. I can see why people enjoy it, it just seemed to have no longevity for me. 

The PvP was a shambles.

I've had way more fun in the GW2 beta weekends than I had in my time of release TSW.

I think that says a lot. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well.. to be honest your comparing apples and oranges here without giving any other notes of what you really like.

They are two different games with their own styles and ways in which they function. Its quite hard to pick one or the other. This thread pretty much will be giving fanboys a place to cry out "*Name* is a lot better game then *name* play this one!" While everyone elses opinion would be more personal or simply unable to really help you.

Having played both, I really can't say one way or the other that one stuck above the other. In some ways its funny but they both seem to have the same issue with trying to be more 'action like' in combat (GW2 more so but eh) and both feeling quite clunky in the process. Probably should not of added that cause I'll get flamed by fanboys for both games but yeah, to me they are pretty much on even playing fields, just a matter of what you like in terms of time period, story, and over-all flow.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmmm TSW or GW2 ? 

Why not both ? 

I have always paid for a subscription of some sort for one MMO or another, I prepurchased GW2 in April like alot of other fans of the game, i own TSW and i gladly pay the sub for it. 

Fact of the matter is they are 2 very different MMOs. 

TSW is when i need to play a Trinity game and actually have fun with it. I love the dungeons, the stories, the community, and the setting.

GW2 will be my main squeeze when it comes to the lions share of gaming i will do, I love the PvP, the co-op feel of the PvE, and the sheer immense size of exploration. 

While GW2 has great stories with the personal quests TSW writers seem to have 1 up on the GW2 writers so its a very good and enjoyable distraction when i need a break from GW2. 

The great thing is since GW2 is subless i can pay for TSW and play both and not feel i am wasting money.

Other than Wildstar i do not see another MMO coming out that interests me or will pull me away from either TSW and GW2, and well Wildstar needs to start impressing me some more cause its not been that stellar as i thought it would be.

Oh now that i think about it i might try out MechWarrior Online, i was a huge Battletech player back when i was into table top strategy games, along with warhammer 40k / Epic, but MWO just does not look like a true MMO its more World of Tanks with Mechs.

SO i am gonna keep rambling.

TLDR: Buy both you only have to sub for one. Wildstar and MWO semi interest me.

Lolipops !

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

As far as I can tell, both TSW and GW2 will have the same problem: Endgame.

TSW has the standard gear progression endgame and PVP, but the PVP is not very engaging at this stage.

GW2 is "not about gear progression", so I've no idea what the PVE endgame will consist of. But the WvWvW PVP certainly looks attractive at this stage.

So I'd have to say that if PVP is your main focus, (at this stage) it looks like GW2 will keep you entertained for longer.

I emphasize "at this stage" often, because we have yet to see what the verdict will be on GW2 once players have played 134 hours of it in 2 weeks. Playing any entertaining game intensively for 2 days (BWE) is a huge high. But that high is not sustainable in the long term, anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves.

A month after launch, some people have finished all the content (that they want to do) in TSW. GW2 has not launched, but over in the GW2 forums people are speculating that it will take the hardcore players a week at most to reach L80. Another week or 2 to explore the world and they'll be done with the content they want to do. So the PVE end-result looks pretty similar for both games.

Will WvWvW matches (that last 2 weeks and then reset) against random opponents (whom you may not fight again for weeks or months) keep people entertained forever ? Only time will tell...

EDIT: But why not hedge your bets ? Buy and play both. You can see most of TSW's PVE content in the free 30 days, and a 1-month sub every 3 months will keep you busy with some very entertaining quests. The rest of the time, play GW2. No additional cost there if you can resist the CS.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by essaidi

Played GW2 and TSW

Still playing: TSW

why? Well its pretty simple for me, I'm not into games that don't get updated regulerly and that suddenly dies out. The fact that Gw 1 and 2 are F2P makes the updates thin' out, since there ain't going to be money in the long run for Dev's to keep making stuff (don't come with your fanboi crap here at start making shit up, you know its true) also people don't seem to care as much for the rules and such when its a F2P game as when they pay monthly to play it. And also (I will get flamed for this) GW2 is a kiddy game compared to TSW, and I played enough WoW, Warhammer,  LoTR, D&D and so on, I'm getting tired of the same old crap (yes it is the same old crap that we all played a million times before) the question you need to ask yourself is simple, If you like an easy "same old" kind'a game, that you don't have to pay monthly for and that has a community full of 10- 16 year old people GW2 is the way to go, If you want to try something brand new something you have not tired before, where you have to pay monthly, and a great adult community you should buy TSW... 

Flame on kiddos!

You play TSW because TSW has launched and GW2 hasn't.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

Get GW2 then when TSW goes f2p try that.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

TSW has the standard gear progression endgame and PVP, but the PVP is not very engaging at this stage.

GW2 is "not about gear progression", so I've no idea what the PVE endgame will consist of. But the WvWvW PVP certainly looks attractive at this stage.

So I'd have to say that if PVP is your main focus, (at this stage) it looks like GW2 will keep you entertained for longer.

I emphasize "at this stage" often, because we have yet to see what the verdict will be on GW2 once players have played 134 hours of it in 2 weeks. Playing any entertaining game intensively for 2 days (BWE) is a huge high. But that high is not sustainable in the long term, anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves.

A month after launch, some people have finished all the content (that they want to do) in TSW. GW2 has not launched, but over in the GW2 forums people are speculating that it will take the hardcore players a week at most to reach L80. Another week or 2 to explore the world and they'll be done with the content they want to do. So the PVE end-result looks pretty similar for both games.

Will WvWvW matches (that last 2 weeks and then reset) against random opponents (whom you may not fight again for weeks or months) keep people entertained forever ? Only time will tell...

GW2 doesn't have endgame. That's what i love with GW2, you don't have to hurry and get to endgame like in WoW, Aion, AoC etc. In GW2 i didn't even notice when i leveled up, i had so fun and i don't care if im lvl 20 or 60. 

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Two very different kind of settings. Personally, I prefer the TSW setting, but I think that the gameplay is more streamlined in GW2. I only have limited beta experience in both, but at this stage, I would not pay for either.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Lol GW2 offcourse m8, i played TSW and it sucks m8, dont waiste your money on a game thats not even worth wiping my downunder with.

GW2 has alot more to offer in pve and pvp, TSW pvp is a massive joke of 1 shotting, even monkeys can win with their yes close.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

Played GW2 and TSW

why? Well its pretty simple for me, I'm not into games that don't get updated regulerly and that suddenly dies out. The fact that Gw 1 and 2 are F2P makes the updates thin' out, since there ain't going to be money in the long run for Dev's to keep making stuff (don't come with your fanboi crap here at start making shit up, you know its true) also people don't seem to care as much for the rules and such when its a F2P game as when they pay monthly to play it. And also (I will get flamed for this) GW2 is a kiddy game compared to TSW, and I played enough WoW, Warhammer,  LoTR, D&D and so on, I'm getting tired of the same old crap (yes it is the same old crap that we all played a million times before) the question you need to ask yourself is simple, If you like an easy "same old" kind'a game, that you don't have to pay monthly for and that has a community full of 10- 16 year old people GW2 is the way to go, If you want to try something brand new something you have not tired before, where you have to pay monthly, and a great adult community you should buy TSW... 

Flame on kiddos!

Sigh...

Why I respect your right to stand by your game of choice...pigeon holing people into playing either one or the other is kind of childish don't you think. I'm coming up on 32 and I've tested both games. I really like the concept of secret world, and the lore. The combat doesn't do it for me however and I have this nagging feeling in the back of my head that is telling me that I'll have the same problem with it that I had with TOR, which was there was something missing and it felt like a single player game. Granted I don't really have any issues with TOR or Secret World other than the combat and that one feeling.

How ever I think Guild Wars is the better deal. Something about Secret world just seems off...It's like I can't put my finger on it but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak. I will probably wait a bit before subbing to it...maybe 6months or so. I do think it will have a good following however.

To the OP. Honestly If you can test out SW then I would suggest you get a key, and go with your feeling from there. My opinion however is that from what I played of both GW2 is just more open and expansive. SW probably beats it with lore however and certain missions as well. I'll tell you what, we should wait until say October and have this very discussion again with people who have played both and can give constructive feedback on the comparisons of both.

V/R

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

EDIT: But why not hedge your bets ? Buy and play both. You can see most of TSW's PVE content in the free 30 days, and a 1-month sub every 3 months will keep you busy with some very entertaining quests. The rest of the time, play GW2. No additional cost there if you can resist the CS.

So TSWs endgame is bad because it is a gearbased endgame while GW2s is bad because it isn´t?

Uhm , what do you want?

• c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51

i am currently palying TSW2 and played all the GW2 BWEs.

most of the quests in TSW are nicely made. the combat is somewhat lacking as its button mashing all of the time with the builder / finisher combos (11112 11112 11112 or 12 13 12 13 12 13). the problem is 50% of the game is combat and 45% is running over the map (leading to more combat as the map is crowded with mobs). the rest is nicely done riddles and stuff (though some done in solo instances).

its still a nice game but has the same problem like SWTOR for example, it sometimes feels like a single player game or a co-op game.

GW2 felt like a true MMORPG as the game is designed to increase the fun the more people are around you (harder events, chain events, no grieving, killstealing or ninja looting). TSW is still going the old fashioned route, with players or groups competing for quest items or quest mob kills. TSW just announced raids will be coming (10 and 20's) , so they add some more to the gear grind in end game.

i will still play it at least til GW2 comes along (i am already thru 3 of teh 8 zones with only playing 1 or 2 days a week - and i did all quests at least 2 or 3 times as i have changed my deck a few times).

both of those games are fun and rewarding. for me the difference is that the rewarding experience in TSW is when you finish a quest (after sometimes interesting sometimes boring and grinding play - like yay! finally done and over), while in GW2 i had fun from the start til the end (the combat, though in theory similar feels way more fun in GW2 for me).

the TSW launch thpugh relatively smooth, has still some frustrating elements:  chat system is buggy as hell; one main feature the deck management  is also bugged; some quests are buggy too (frustrating when you spent quite some time on a quest only to find that the last part cannot be completed);

i found only a few bugs during the GW2 beta weekends but most of them were fixed the next BWE;

TSW  has brillant graphics but you need a top notch rig to run it smoothly; my older PC crashes about every 2 hours and lags out in the cities and quest hubs; my new notebook has no problems but i cannot get used to the button mashing TSW playstyle on it; GW2 runs smoothly even on my older PC (even with 40+ players around i had no lag);

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by c-mot
    the TSW launch thpugh relatively smooth, has still some frustrating elements:  chat system is buggy as hell;

The "funcom engine" chat is buggy since Age of Conan, and they still didn't manage to fix it... Typical Funcom.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Loke666

I guess it depends on which world you like best.

I have already bought GW2, it works better for me.

The bad thing about TSW is the fact that FunCom probably will be as slow adding new content as they were in AoC. ANET can create really fast as they shown with Factions and Nightfall.

I think you probably should try TSW before deciding if you are unsure.

So far TSW has proven that they wont make the same mistakes as in AoC, they obviously deserve the bennefit of the doubts with their new game.

I own both games, and you just cant compare them with eachother. Some people will like TSW more. But people should remember that GW2 has to offer something for everyone, while TSW aims at a specific group of players. You just cant compare both games.

TSW is one of the best traditional MMO´s (sadly the activity performed most which is combat was not to much fun for me) because of their awesome story/quests/atmosphere. GW2 is refreshing and new, breaking with a lot of old habbits of The WoW generation of games, while keeping the good ones alive. But most of all, GW2 has much much more diversity, there are so many different ways to play and so many different things to do, that its just overwhelming.  But the personal story just seems better in TSW.

Many people could even play both. Switching between them. Because GW2 has no subs, many people might be subbed to another game and play GW2.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JasVJasV Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Lol GW2 offcourse m8, i played TSW and it sucks m8, dont waiste your money on a game thats not even worth wiping my downunder with.

GW2 has alot more to offer in pve and pvp, TSW pvp is a massive joke of 1 shotting, even monkeys can win with their yes close.

If the OP is still undecided this post should clearly make up his mind.

Sadly this is what the gw2 community will probably look like once the honeymoon is over and most people have boarded the happy joy joy train to the next best thing.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Loke666

So TSWs endgame is bad because it is a gearbased endgame while GW2s is bad because it isn´t?

Uhm , what do you want?

What I want is irrelevant in this discussion.

What I was referring to in my post was the fact that the number one complaint on themepark forums is: "There's no endgame content !"

Those complaints are already popping up on the TSW forums. Some people have already taken their character progression (vertically) as far as they want to go, and now "they have nothing to do", and they''re blaming the game for having no endgame content.

I can only assume that GW2 players are not interested in endgame content, because many are proud to proclaim that it HAS no endgame. So after L80 they will either PVP 24/7 or stop playing. I've no idea what L80 players do in GW2 if they don't PVP.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106

Played GW2 and TSW

Flame on kiddos!

This has to be the most mature thing I have eard lately *sarcasm*. Really shows how much better the TSW community is comparing with GW2 comunity. 

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Look - I have played both GW2 and TSW extensivly.  I have enjoyed both, however, while TSW is a good game, it's fun and fairly smooth with some nice innovative additions it doesn't even come close to how good GW2 is.  Seriously.   GW2 is on it's on level when compared to anything else currently on the market, and to top it all off there is no sub fee...

Anyway, if for some reason you can ONLY afford one of the two then get GW2, I promise it's a better game.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Lokomotiv

Played GW2 and TSW

Flame on kiddos!

This has to be the most mature thing I have eard lately *sarcasm*. Really shows how much better the TSW community is comparing with GW2 comunity. 

I'm sorry but these types of statements are crazy.  I've been playing TSW since beta (still playing) and while I have enjoyed the game the community is absolutly no different then any game I've ever played before.  It's full of its idiots and 10 year old @#$% talkers just like every other game out there.

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

bashing any game's "community" is just a low blow when in reality there is only one true community, the entire mmo playerbase, every mmo is basically made up of the same players from the previous "next big thing"

we're all little whores, jumping in and out of every mmo that pops up

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145

I think TSW is a game that every person that plays MMOs should play to the end content (meaning do most quests, do all nightmare instances few times). Game is very nice while leveling,  there are some quest bugs but idk, some people describe it like every 2nd quest is bugged. Dunno, felt nice to me leveling it, checking skill wheels, making decks. Not rushing to the end is the key perhaps, dunno.

BUT, at the moment, the endgame is lacking. You can do 3 instances with long cooldowns, you can farm some grindy stuff and you can do PvP (which atm sucks imo).

So long-term I'd say GW2 is a better choice atm. Questing is not too shabby but the main staying power will be PvP I'd say. Can't comment on endgame PvE in GW2 coz I've not done it, but it's there, only you don't go there for best in slot gear, you go there for best looking gear (I think). In GW you can also make alts if you're bored, while in TSW  I don't see any point on making alts unless you want to reroll faction.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If your looking for depth of systems and you love to tweek you toon TSW is hands down the best game you will play. 

Do you like to theorycraft? Do you like being unique? Do you like challenges in you game?  TSW is a throw back to an ealier day.  A day when you leared from making mistakes. The best guilds wipe in the dungeons and the PvP is hard. It's throw back to a day where if you put the time in you will be rewarded. 

TSW is a game made buy gamers. It shows in every inch of the game. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

People rave about the questing in TSW, but personally, I hated it even more than the combat.  Sure it's new and different - just not in a way that I enjoy, or want to see in an MMO.  DEs or even just rifts trump it hands down, for me.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

What I want is irrelevant in this discussion.

What I was referring to in my post was the fact that the number one complaint on themepark forums is: "There's no endgame content !"

Those complaints are already popping up on the TSW forums. Some people have already taken their character progression (vertically) as far as they want to go, and now "they have nothing to do", and they''re blaming the game for having no endgame content.

I can only assume that GW2 players are not interested in endgame content, because many are proud to proclaim that it HAS no endgame. So after L80 they will either PVP 24/7 or stop playing. I've no idea what L80 players do in GW2 if they don't PVP.

End game these days is a synonym for (instanced) raiding.

GW2 doesn't have (instanced) raids. There are open world raid like encounters.

GW2 PvE end game will be based on the same system as the levelling phase - Dynamic events.

These Dynamic events in the Orr region will be bigger, will be more intricate.

From the few comments the developers let out in one of their talks it seems like big battle vs AI by phases, capturin objectives and whatnot. WvAI.

So yeah, GW2 game is based on the same systems from the beggining to the end so it has no end game shift.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders