Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion--GW2 or TSW

Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107

AS title says, i am looking for feedback on if i should put my money into TSW or GW2-  i Have yet to play TSW as it does not have a trial at this time, but i have tried beta for GW2.  Just looking for some honest opinions on which you think would be a better long term game to play  and give a few reasons why ( i.e graphics, etc etc ) .

Im not looking for a pissing contest here on which is gonna have more subs blah blah blah, just general feedback based on your experience with either .

Thanks in advance ,

Wizzy

Comments

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

what a question lol ofc gw2 

TSW only have nice investigation quest the rest is crap

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

For me its without doubt TSW much better value for money as GW2 will last 2 weeks tops for me.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Guild Wars2 if you like the fantasy setting and better pvp system . TSW if you like shooting monsters and zombies in a modern setting. GW2 also has no sub fee monthly but TSW does. OP you need to figure that one out for yourself but both games have a similar combat system with dodging and avoiding damage being important and only a limited skills allowed on your one bar at any time during combat. Where they really differ is funcom didnt do a good job with pvp and GW2 designed the game around pvp with world vs world and SPVP.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Wizlock23
     AS title says, i am looking for feedback on if i should put my money into TSW or GW2-  i Have yet to play TSW as it does not have a trial at this time, but i have tried beta for GW2.  Just looking for some honest opinions on which you think would be a better long term game to play  and give a few reasons why ( i.e graphics, etc etc ) .  Im not looking for a pissing contest here on which is gonna have more subs blah blah blah, just general feedback based on your experience with either . Thanks in advance ,Wizzy

What exactly are you looking for in a game? and do you want a 24 hour key for tsw?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Nitth

AS title says, i am looking for feedback on if i should put my money into TSW or GW2-  i Have yet to play TSW as it does not have a trial at this time, but i have tried beta for GW2.  Just looking for some honest opinions on which you think would be a better long term game to play  and give a few reasons why ( i.e graphics, etc etc ) .

Im not looking for a pissing contest here on which is gonna have more subs blah blah blah, just general feedback based on your experience with either .

Thanks in advance ,

Wizzy

What exactly are you looking for in a game? and do you want a 24 hour key for tsw?

I have done ALOT of research on both games, i do know the in and outs of both . i just wanted to see if anyone had any opinion on what they like best and to point out the key features to each game  that they like best.

AND YES i would love a 24 hour key so i can try TSW

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Not that TSW is a bad game, but GW2 is in another league..

• nephren25nephren25 Member UncommonPosts: 143

i havent played TSW but it dosent interest me the combat looks boring to me and stiff. i have played gw2 and i enjoy it alot. but all i can say is watch videos of both and see what is more your game. best of luck to ya

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by liliyo

As a TSW player I can say only this - this is the best PvE experience you can have these days but it's definitely not a PvP game. There is PvP in TSW but it shines in PvE. Also, there's a thread in mmorpg.com forums to get a buddy key which lets you play for 24 hours. Try to get one and decide after that, sadly I've given mine away already.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I can hardly imagine anyone who played/tried both would actually suggest TSW over GW2. No, seriously.

TSW isn't a bad game, but it is so... limited. I continually ran into things I could not do, I failed at or which simply where hard in the boring way, not challanging in the exciting way, but in the tiresome way. Animations and sounds effects are simply horrible. Sure, TSW has it's charm, but I never got into that mental state called "flow", which is usually associated with having fun in games. (Look the term "flow" in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29  ) All factions have the same zones, which makes replay worthless. The ability wheel means you can make 100s of trash combinations and you can essentially forget balance. TSW has it's merits but it just isn't a fluid experience and gets frustrating in the mid game.

GW2 on the other hand immediately had addictive qualities. It is a pleasure to look at, has so unique races and so different and fun to play classes. Everything is round and I immediately got into the flow feeling.

I am a bit too lazy now to go into greater detail, but I'd pick GW2 over TSW any day. It depends a bit on what you seek in a MMO, of course, but for me GW2 is leagues better than TSW, and if you see my posting history here, you know I am very critical and NOT easy to satisfy. I didn't have so much fun with a MMO as I had with GW2 in years. Of course I only saw the early 15 levels, as far as open beta went. So take it with a grain of salt.

(The F2P argument doesn't really interest me, I play a game because it's good, not because it's free. If a game is worth a monthly fee, I pay it.)

EDIT: I played TSW beta and I bought it and had played it ~ 4 weeks after launch into mid game. I played GW2 extensively over 3 beta weekends. Just so you have a referrence how far my experience with these games goes. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by RCP_ut

Not that TSW is a bad game, but GW2 is in another league..

How so ?  i  mean i do agree that arenanet will probably pump out more content ( via addons you have to buy )  and funcome is known for SLOW updates.... Even though they say they want a monthly update .

Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by liliyo

It's kind of pathetic to see such a hatered coming from GW2 fanbois. Actually this is much worse than it was in SWTOR forums a year ago.

As a TSW player I can say only this - this is the best PvE experience you can have these days but it's definitely not a PvP game. There is PvP in TSW but it shines in PvE. Also, there's a thread in mmorpg.com forums to get a buddy key which lets you play for 24 hours. Try to get one and decide after that, sadly I've given mine away already.

Ty i will look into that if the other person who offerd one does not come through

Originally posted by Elikal

I can hardly imagine anyone who played/tried both would actually suggest TSW over GW2. No, seriously.

TSW isn't a bad game, but it is so... limited. I continually ran into things I could not do, I failed at or which simply where hard in the boring way, not challanging in the exciting way, but in the tiresome way. Animations and sounds effects are simply horrible. Sure, TSW has it's charm, but I never got into that mental state called "flow", which is usually associated with having fun in games. (Look the term "flow" in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29  ) All factions have the same zones, which makes replay worthless. The ability wheel means you can make 100s of trash combinations and you can essentially forget balance. TSW has it's merits but it just isn't a fluid experience and gets frustrating in the mid game.

GW2 on the other hand immediately had addictive qualities. It is a pleasure to look at, has so unique races and so different and fun to play classes. Everything is round and I immediately got into the flow feeling.

I am a bit too lazy now to go into greater detail, but I'd pick GW2 over TSW any day.

(The F2P argument doesn't really interest me, I play a game because it's good, not because it's free. If a game is worth a monthly fee, I pay it.)

ty, this was exactly the reply i was lookling for , A great con vs negatives on both .

thanks for taking the time to reply .

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Thanks in advance ,

Wizzy

My biggest concerns about TSW were that it was a) FunCom and they don't have a good history of launches (AO and AoC) and I wasn't convinced the 4th pillar concept was really viable (a la SWTOR). It seems the launch went smoothly, very contrary to my expectations. I hear good things from people who play it. But I'm still very wary of VO/story based stuff, as much of a Lovecraft fan as I am, because of the bitter taste SWTOR has left in my mouth. I could be wrong on this too. 

As far as GW2, I'm tired of fantasy, but ArenaNet is a company with a solid reputation. They got GW1 largely right and I have no doubt they're going to have a successful launch and long product life with GW2. I don't find the art style, the interface or the character animations all that engaging. However, there's no subscription and the WvWvW stuff looks particularly intriguing.

As yourself the question: Which am I more into, PVP or PVE? If your answer is PVP, I think GW2 is the answer. If it's PVE that's largely soloable, with voice acting and plot points and all that, you're probably going to be more satisfied with TSW. If you're looking for something to be a WoW-killer or to be the next generation of MMORPGs, I'm not yet convinced that EITHER game is that. I think they both have interesting ideas, but then I fell for BioWare's blandishments and promises and I'm only continuing to play SWTOR because I enjoy the jr pvp and because GW2 isn't out yet.

Originally posted by cahenderson

Thanks in advance ,

Wizzy

My biggest concerns about TSW were that it was a) FunCom and they don't have a good history of launches (AO and AoC) and I wasn't convinced the 4th pillar concept was really viable (a la SWTOR). It seems the launch went smoothly, very contrary to my expectations. I hear good things from people who play it. But I'm still very wary of VO/story based stuff, as much of a Lovecraft fan as I am, because of the bitter taste SWTOR has left in my mouth. I could be wrong on this too. 

As far as GW2, I'm tired of fantasy, but ArenaNet is a company with a solid reputation. They got GW1 largely right and I have no doubt they're going to have a successful launch and long product life with GW2. I don't find the art style, the interface or the character animations all that engaging. However, there's no subscription and the WvWvW stuff looks particularly intriguing.

As yourself the question: Which am I more into, PVP or PVE? If your answer is PVP, I think GW2 is the answer. If it's PVE that's largely soloable, with voice acting and plot points and all that, you're probably going to be more satisfied with TSW. If you're looking for something to be a WoW-killer or to be the next generation of MMORPGs, I'm not yet convinced that EITHER game is that. I think they both have interesting ideas, but then I fell for BioWare's blandishments and promises and I'm only continuing to play SWTOR because I enjoy the jr pvp and because GW2 isn't out yet.

ty sir .  and i agree on both ideas you put out,  fantasy isnt a HUGE thing for me, but it does not bother me that much either . I love the setting of TSW ...but i watch vieos and i feel like im wathcing another TOR in the making . I could play the game and be like "WOW THIS IS AMAZING " , but when i reach lvl cap i will have the feeling that i do not have anything else to do .

GW2 was FUN!  for the small amnt of time i got to play, and i love the F2P idea  as i do not have TONS of time to play and i would hate to sink alot of $$ into subs  just to play  till lvl cap and then done.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Elikal

I am a bit too lazy now to go into greater detail, but I'd pick GW2 over TSW any day. It depends a bit on what you seek in a MMO, of course, but for me GW2 is leagues better than TSW, and if you see my posting history here, you know I am very critical and NOT easy to satisfy. I didn't have so much fun with a MMO as I had with GW2 in years. Of course I only saw the early 15 levels, as far as open beta went. So take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: I played TSW beta and I bought it and had played it ~ 4 weeks after launch into mid game. I played GW2 extensively over 3 beta weekends. Just so you have a referrence how far my experience with these games goes. ;)

To each his own but please stop already complaining that you were unable to choose right skills and fight in a bit harder zone. I've read your posts and I know that the problem is yours because I ran into same problems but solved them after reviewing skills I used and making some adjustments. If you don't like TSW then fine but stop this complaining already.

Originally posted by essaidi

Played GW2 and TSW

Still playing: TSW

why? Well its pretty simple for me, I'm not into games that don't get updated regulerly and that suddenly dies out. The fact that Gw 1 and 2 are F2P makes the updates thin' out, since there ain't going to be money in the long run for Dev's to keep making stuff (don't come with your fanboi crap here at start making shit up, you know its true) also people don't seem to care as much for the rules and such when its a F2P game as when they pay monthly to play it. And also (I will get flamed for this) GW2 is a kiddy game compared to TSW, and I played enough WoW, Warhammer,  LoTR, D&D and so on, I'm getting tired of the same old crap (yes it is the same old crap that we all played a million times before) the question you need to ask yourself is simple, If you like an easy "same old" kind'a game, that you don't have to pay monthly for and that has a community full of 10- 16 year old people GW2 is the way to go, If you want to try something brand new something you have not tired before, where you have to pay monthly, and a great adult community you should buy TSW... 

Flame on kiddos!

Eh wont hear me flamming u. Thats good points!  I have def. heard GREAT things about the community in TSW.   And im 30+ , i do tend to leave games or not play as much if it turns out to be a younger crowd

Does anyone know if they plan to do any kind of player housing ? ihave not found a clear answer to this any place, or any stance on it

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

I own both and would not want to go with out either one.

BTW MMORPG wont allow screens larger then 2mb so TSW is screwed there because the graphics are so detailed that most my screens with backdrops or mobs are all over 3mb. If you got a bad ass RIG and like a nvidia 680 then TSW is a must the details in the draw are nuts.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Having played both I would have to say TSW offers more in terms of what both games offer. GW2 and TSW both have bad PvP, mainly because both games have terrible combat systems. So if you buy the game for story which is all they really have to offer, TSW trumps GW2 in that aspect 10 fold.

GW2 has some decent things to offer, with its events. But they are not the be all end all that everyone makes them out to be. They repeat quite frequently as well and they will eventually just get old. TSW trumps GW2 in this as well with there investigation missions (if you like to challenge yourself).

TSW has a better designed class system though it does have its negatives. I just would have to say, really do your research before you go one way or another in a ability tree. As for GW2 you can have all the weapon skills unlocked for your class pretty quick and by level 7 or 10 cant remember you get the full feeling of what the combat is like (terrible). You still have your unlockables as you level and spend points, but they don't make all that much of a difference.

If your looking at either of these for PvP or combat, save yourself the trouble and dont buy either. If your looking for amazing story telling go with TSW. If your looking to have no sub fee go with GW2.

Both games have amazing world design, I just happen to like TSW better since it isn't fantasy.

Here is an example of a TSW investigation (No spoilers):

But I had this to decode;

CNGU BS GUR FHA - ERYNGRF

ABG WHFG GB GUR FBYNE OBQL,

OHG GUR GENIRY BS GUR UHZNA

OBQL- OVEGU GB ORLBAQ

RVTUG SYNZRF - RVTUG

FGNGVBAF BA GUR CNGU BS

YVSR? NYGUBHTU GUR BEQRE VF

ABG JUNG FRRZRQ VAVGVNYYL

BOIVBHF....

No key to use... just had to decode that. I was able to do it no help at all etc. Was probably one of the funnest quests I have ever done. Just because it challenged me.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Played GW2 and TSW

why? Well its pretty simple for me, I'm not into games that don't get updated regulerly and that suddenly dies out. The fact that Gw 1 and 2 are F2P makes the updates thin' out, since there ain't going to be money in the long run for Dev's to keep making stuff (don't come with your fanboi crap here at start making shit up, you know its true) also people don't seem to care as much for the rules and such when its a F2P game as when they pay monthly to play it. And also (I will get flamed for this) GW2 is a kiddy game compared to TSW, and I played enough WoW, Warhammer,  LoTR, D&D and so on, I'm getting tired of the same old crap (yes it is the same old crap that we all played a million times before) the question you need to ask yourself is simple, If you like an easy "same old" kind'a game, that you don't have to pay monthly for and that has a community full of 10- 16 year old people GW2 is the way to go, If you want to try something brand new something you have not tired before, where you have to pay monthly, and a great adult community you should buy TSW... 

Flame on kiddos!

You're 21...

Anyway, his assumtion that most of the players are going to be 10-16 in GW2 is just bullshit he made up to attempt to trash GW2. I know this thread has a lot of that going both ways already, but you might as well look at some of the data that we have so far about this that has at least some basis in reality instead of pure bullshit.

~27 thousand people took this poll:

http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=total÷=agegroup

This is from this site:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/357769/page/1

Originally posted by Vunak23

Having played both I would have to say TSW offers more in terms of what both games offer. GW2 and TSW both have bad PvP, mainly because both games have terrible combat systems. So if you buy the game for story which is all they really have to offer, TSW trumps GW2 in that aspect 10 fold.

GW2 has some decent things to offer, with its events. But they are not the be all end all that everyone makes them out to be. They repeat quite frequently as well and they will eventually just get old. TSW trumps GW2 in this as well with there investigation missions (if you like to challenge yourself).

TSW has a better designed class system though it does have its negatives. I just would have to say, really do your research before you go one way or another in a ability tree. As for GW2 you can have all the weapon skills unlocked for your class pretty quick and by level 7 or 10 cant remember you get the full feeling of what the combat is like (terrible). You still have your unlockables as you level and spend points, but they don't make all that much of a difference.

If your looking at either of these for PvP or combat, save yourself the trouble and dont buy either. If your looking for amazing story telling go with TSW. If your looking to have no sub fee go with GW2.

Both games have amazing world design, I just happen to like TSW better since it isn't fantasy.

OBQL- OVEGU GB ORLBAQ

RVTUG SYNZRF - RVTUG

FGNGVBAF BA GUR CNGU BS

BOIVBHF....

No key to use... just had to decode that. I was able to do it no help at all etc. Was probably one of the funnest quests I have ever done. Just because it challenged me.

HAHA thats awesome!

• AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230

Does anyone know if they plan to do any kind of player housing ? ihave not found a clear answer to this any place, or any stance on it

I dont know about tsw but i know GW2  that they plan to implement player housing in the future (not at launch)..

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Vunak23

OBQL- OVEGU GB ORLBAQ

RVTUG SYNZRF - RVTUG

FGNGVBAF BA GUR CNGU BS

BOIVBHF....

HAHA thats awesome!

Thing is... this is actually probably one of the easier Investigations I have done in the game yet. It was just extremely fun, sitting there watching people randomly try and figure it out. While I was writing all the letters down on my notepad and picking out multiple occurences of the same letter/group of letters etc. It was just amazingly fun to get it all wrote out and decoded and reading the message back to myself. Very good experience.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

Played GW2 and TSW

Flame on kiddos!

maybe you should check guildwars.com update log and then tell it isnt updated regulary :D

http://guildwars.com/support/gameupdates/default.php

and the "same old" argument is wrong, whats new TSW have to offer?

GW2 is a game where you can do anything and it rewards you for exploring the game not just doing a quest

community of 10-16 year old? maybe you should check other topic where it stands that there are a lot more players betwen 18-50 than kids, KIDS got bored of GW2 becouse they are not old mmo players where exploring was a big part of the world, they want to pwn others in PVP with thiers ELITE gear and have a quest system like WoW that keep telling you where to go and what to do

im not telling TSW is a bad game, these are two different games

if you have a heart of explorer and want to check every corner of the world, have fun in PVP where gear doesnt make you a Superman pick GW2

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Both are great game. If your choosing between the 2 then go gw2 due to it's b2p model. If money is no objection then play both as tsw have a very interesting setting and atmosphere