Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity's Reach: A Tale of Two Gamers

FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

While I was tempted to place the article in the beta impressions section, I was torn in two directions.  This article is as much a beta impressions article from a new perspective as it is a commentary on the hurdles of MMOs to new gamers and the revelations that the latest mechanics Guild Wars 2 brings to the genre.  

Please enjoy!

Full article is here: http://divinitysreach.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-tale-of-two-gamers.html

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

Comments

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Finit

While I was tempted to place the article in the beta impressions section, I was torn in two directions.  This article is as much a beta impressions article from a new perspective as it is a commentary on the hurdles of MMOs to new gamers and the revelations that the latest mechanics Guild Wars 2 brings to the genre.  

Please enjoy!

Full article is here: http://divinitysreach.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-tale-of-two-gamers.html

Good read and I think this goes to show all us who play daily that for new people to join us we have to learn to learn again and help them understand, from this we can all enjoy the fun from any prospective then.

Bandit

Asbo

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by Finit

Please enjoy!

Good read and I think this goes to show all us who play daily that for new people to join us we have to learn to learn again and help them understand, from this we can all enjoy the fun from any prospective then.

Bandit

Agreed completely, thanks for reading!

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• Very good read.  I think it also highlights that people approach games in different manners and everyone has a different learning speed.  I have a friend I am planning on getting GW2 for a Xmas present.  From prior experience this particular friend does much better if I don't try to lead her anywhere and instead just answer questions when asked.  The major reason I'm waiting until Xmas is that she hates zergs and crowded areas.

Then there are the new to GW2 players who are used to jumping from MMO to MMO.  From my experience (I fall into this category) we behave like a kid in a candy shop and have to learn to slow down.  It was real obvious this weekend as me and my hubby got exhausted trying to keep up with our son (late 20s) who was intent on doing every heart he could find as fast as he could.  We kept telling him to slow down that there was tons of content he was missing but he was insistent.

We can all hope that GW2 grows the MMO audience.  It has a good shot at doing this as it has content for lots of different play styles.  We can all also do our part - one thing that would be good is for Arena Net to add in a New Player or Help chat channel - there are definitely some different/new mechanics and terminology in GW2 that even folks who are 'expert' MMOers will have to figure out.