Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still Learning!

UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

After work yesterday I sat down for another round of The Secret World and decided to look at things a little more deeply, especially the whole crafting and statistics thing. There are just so many confusing statistics that I had no idea what meant what, such as what's the difference between To Hit and Attack, they sound like the same thing, right? It seems not! To Hit means you hit more, Attack adds to the damage. Ah ha! They have little tooltips over each of the stats in the character window, I'd never noticed that before.

So then I thought, how do I get the stats I need in the right places, so started playing around with the crafting system. Now there's something cool I never expected to find. I usually loathe crafting in MMOs, but this one works for me for some reason. Break down items for their parts, combine those parts to make better parts, link them together in a certain pattern based on what item you want. It works surprisingly well and is quite an addictive little pastime, as well as probably the best way to get exactly the build you want.

So now the depth of this game has gone up another level, there's so much to think about, so much to work towards, I can see me playing this game for quite a while to come. Great game. And I never expected to ever say that considering people were advertising it as a solo MMO. Hell, I've been through Polaris five times already and seem to be grouped every time I go near a dangerous area. Person in the same area? Invite. Grouped. No problem!

Best game I've played in a long time, MMO or otherwise.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Just wait until you open enough of the skill tree to really start playing with builds.

I've seen some great combinations.

A guildmate of mine is running a healing build with tanking Passives and gear. He can tank elite instances with no need for another healer. It's nuts.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

With regards to stats.

Do you want A more hits but with less damage per hit OR B hit less often but doing more damage?

In TSW, there is more to this basic RPG choice.

Say you got some passive skill that says "when you hit an enemy, you are healed for 8".

A would get the heal more often then B.

But there is also a (blade) heal that heals on attack, not hit.

But what if you have a passive that does % damage? 8% of 100point hit is less then 8% of 200 point hit.

Lot of depth.

• strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Just wait until you open enough of the skill tree to really start playing with builds.

I've seen some great combinations.

A guildmate of mine is running a healing build with tanking Passives and gear. He can tank elite instances with no need for another healer. It's nuts.

Whats his build? Sounds like an interesting one to try out... I have 3 chars going atm an AR/Shotty, Fist/Blade and Ele/Blood, but these are mostly DPS w/ support healing for mostly solo stuff...I would have to be classified DPS for instances :)

Thanks

"I'm a Alpha male on Beta blockers"-The Immortal George Carlin

RIP
    Ronnie James Dio 2010(The greatest Voice in Rock)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'm loving the depth in this game, so much to learn makes it very enjoyable. After a month it feels like I have just brushed the surface. I find myself not even caring about reaching a so called "end game" I'd just rather play "the game" ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Yep, build system is very absorbing.  The wording in the Abilities is quite precise and there are subtle variations between things that make them useful in different combinations.  And the fact that Passives don't require their weapon being equipped blows the whole thing wide open.  I'm finding myself reaching for certain Passives through weapon trees I'm not using now - but on the way I'm looking at some of that weapon's abilities and thinking "hmm, maybe I'll look into that later".

There are many synergies and types of synergy that you can build around - States, Triggers and Subtypes, and many combinations of these.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yeah. no joke I spend atleast 1 hour a day staring at the ability wheel. Being able to learn for this old game who's seen it all is really a treat.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"