Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hating on newbies

vm9008vm9008 Member Posts: 10

I am inconvientaly a newbie in the mmo world. Just because I didn't start playing when I was 12, and have spent hours of  everyday of my life since playing these games. Doesn't mean I suck >.> It means I just learned how awesome these games can be. Just because it takes me a little more time than most to get the hang of the game, doesn't mean I can't eventually be good at the game. I don't understand the harm in some of you "oh so great masters of MMOs" stopping and helping someone who's lost or confused on how to do something. Instead of ranting some newbie crap and running off to kill something or continue your current quest. All and all it's tempting to just stop playing these games all together because no one will give a newbie a chance. :( So my only questions is why?

Comments

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

We all start off at somepoint and if you really think no1 would stop to help you're obviously in the wrong place or playing on a bad server for whatever game you are playing. when someone is actually a noob and i see them struggle i always help when i can.

Edit; Sometimes i'll even humor the gold beggar's ironically which is bad, give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for life....or something along the lines of that saying...

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Just tell them you're a girl.

• vm9008vm9008 Member Posts: 10

Ok, so maybe I am playing a bad game, what games would be good for beginners? It's nice to see that they're nice people out there.

Well, couldnt they tell that by my charachter?

No, because lots of guys roll female characters.

Well ironically i would say World of Warcraft....despite the bad communities in major chat's like trade chat if you go out and quest its quite easy to meet new friends by grouping with people on the same quests...but i quit WoW myself and have just been playing steam games and watching anime lately....no good mmo's lately.

Edit: It also depends on your server as well, when i was a noob i aimed for the medium - high pop realms and it worked out fine in the long run....after 4 years it just got old.

^^

I see...

^ WoW really? I thought with how long that game has been running that everybody on there would be in such a high level I'd get run over. LOL What are other recommened games for Newbies?

Well yea its old and its still king, but all the new games are all dead or dying because people try them out and decide they dont like them, then hop to the newest mmo....watch after gw2 is out for a bit Repopulation will hit and people will leave in droves....i actually enjoyed tera online....but everybody left i guess cause they couldnt implement BG's fast enough and end game content was lacking and repetitive...

Only other game that is still clinging to life i think is Rift...

Edit: sorry for double post hit wrong button lol, tired...

Only 600 people are still playing WoW and they're all level 85 raiders.  The other 7,999,400 are all gold farmers.  I wouldn't recomend that for anyone.

Remember I am a newbie, some lingo goes right over my head LOL. Guild Wars 2 was on my list of check it out, due to all the forums on this about it, but i was also afraid to be run over there too. Tera online? i shall look the informations.

OK Thanes what would recommend for a newbie then?

and how do u ask for help in a game without being over looked?

i wouldnt recommend GW2 as its way more skill based for a newbie...and people complain alot lately that blizzard is catering to the noobs, thats why i recommended it cause its getting easier and easier, and is still alive...gold farmers are there but the above poster is waaaaay over exaggerating it unless theyve mass produced in the last week when i decided to randomly hop on and do BG's....

Ill give you a tip tho, use this site to find games using the games List till you find one you like thats what i usually do when im bored and most of em will suck....obviously cause they are F2P but, who knows.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

Wow is actually a bad example now.  It used to be a decent game with helpful players, but it has been over run by the most elitist crowed in the MMO world...well except for EVE online.  Most of the time, if you even mention it is your first run of an instance, your are insta-kicked with no explanation.  Accidently pull the wrong mob, your kicked, even if the tank never actually had kill order, your just supposed to "know" exactly what to do 100% of the time.

Main reason I quit that game, all the punks.

TSW on the other hand is a more challenging game, but has far more helpful players.  yes there are the bad eggs, but in general I see people beign very helpful.

Stay away from most F2P mmo's, expecially onces with the "pay to win" system.  Cause you have your players that don't mind dropping tons of cash for that extra advantage and look down on people who don't.  Or you have your F2P/Subcription model (like any turbine game or STO).  Now you have nothing but trashing talking "subscribiers" calling anyone who is playing for free a noob.

In short, MMO communites are plummenting down the social drain, mirroring the rest of society as a whole.  Duchbaggarry is more and more accepted today both in and out of game world.

Also, stay away from PvP focused games.  These attract the worst of the worst, mainly because the game is focused around flexing your epeen and shitting on people you "own".

GW2 might be a bad match, I have yet to see the community for too long, TSW as I said while having PvP as a large focus, has an amazing PvE element that attracts a lot of more "enlightnened" players (mainly due to the fact the biggest jerks also have the least amount of patience and TSW can be a patient game) and a great atmosphere to boot.

In any game however, if you find a group of like minded players, then you can just turn off general chat, ingore the jackasses and play with others that don't mind your being new, or are new with you.

KEY:

GW2 =Guild Wars 2; TSW=The Secret World

In that case, and this is just my personal recomendation, many, many people will disagree with it.  I'd play the unlimmited free Warhammer online for the next month and learn how to pvp (L2pvp).  It might be a godawful unfinished wasted potential of a game but the 1-15 area is fun and free.  Then in a month when GW2 starts, start with that because its a good game and you won't waste time playing other games.

i honestly am not to sure about the secret world but ive decided to stay away from funcom....i quit AoC awhile ago....i come back and intend to play it for free....i buy ONE THING from the cash shop and they used my new debit card and charged me for a renewed subscription of 3 months...without even asking me or sending an email confirming the purchase...i had no chance to cancel the charge and they refused to refund me....so even if TSW is a good game im not buying it...$36 down the drain....

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1

People like to think RIFT is clinging to life, but it realy is a fantastic game, just had little depth for end game...it's reputation was ruined by the mass of ultra-fast levelers that breeze through everything and complain there is not enough.  But for the OP, as a new player, could find a lot of fun in Rift, and they are still adding content (Trion Worlds is hailed, even by critics, as a company that release lightng fast content updates).

I only quite rift because I had a max level, never had time to raid and there was not else much to do at that level then raid.  But if I ever win one of those free annual subscriptions thta MMORPG always gives away, I will go back and see all the new changes.

Clinging to life is not only a terrible cliche, its a huge overstatement.  Rift is profitable, rift is fun, rift has a better community then WOW.  Rift is also an "on the rails" MMO at heart, but with a far more interesting class system that will make you think (and make you a better player)

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Playing in an MMO is a lot like going to high school.

You won't fit into every group. There are elite jerks, pvp jocks, nerds, geeks, role players(drama club), trash talking morons, and genuinely great people.

Take your time and find a good group and or guild. When enough time passes you will find yourself at a cross road. You will either stay humble and helpful remembering what it was like to be the new player or turn into one of the players you now loathe. You will be surprised at how easy it is to become one of those jerks.

Either way. Keep your head up, do not take it too seriously and when someone does help you or teaches you stuff. Listen, learn, and thank them. Do not expect free stuff. MMO gamers are more jaded than ever.

Of note; a large percentage of the community in the more commercial games are really not as knowledgeable as you might think. Most of the games are not as complex as they once were, or seem to be. Depending on the game or games you are playing, most of the players have copied or learned how to play their characters from someone else be it a forum database or guide found on the games main website.

Originally posted by jedensuscg
    Originally posted by Odinthedark1

People like to think RIFT is clinging to life, but it realy is a fantastic game, just had little depth for end game...it's reputation was ruined by the mass of ultra-fast levelers that breeze through everything and complain there is not enough.  But for the OP, as a new player, could find a lot of fun in Rift, and they are still adding content (Trion Worlds is hailed, even by critics, as a company that release lightng fast content updates).

I only quite rift because I had a max level, never had time to raid and there was not else much to do at that level then raid.  But if I ever win one of those free annual subscriptions thta MMORPG always gives away, I will go back and see all the new changes.

Clinging to life is not only a terrible cliche, its a huge overstatement.  Rift is profitable, rift is fun, rift has a better community then WOW.  Rift is also an "on the rails" MMO at heart, but with a far more interesting class system that will make you think (and make you a better player)

you are probably right but by "clinging to life' i basically meant its the only other game still active other than WoW i can think of that is stable...i wouldnt count new games as they are just that....new...which is why brand new games would be a bad recommendation because theres no telling what may happen after a game launches and during the 6 months after that...

Edit: basically if i was a newb again i wouldnt want to start a new mmo....make friends who helped me along the way then have everybody leave to be the only friend left in the game...but sadly thats how it would go most of the time.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Any community large enough will have your share of idiots.

It is like anything in real-life, a community of 1 million (like an actual City) won't be filled with 'nice' people all the time.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

so, i do appriecate all you posting on my forum, through guys im pickng up on some lingo. Based off of some of the games you guys have listed, i went and took a peek, however, most were paid games. and i dont wanna have pay as a newbie, i want to make sure i can get into these games before i break down and buy some. ya know?

Lord of the Rings online, you may miss some content buy not spending money on expansions buts its still pretty good...hmmm could try Aion and Aika as well

Edit: most people will dis any game you list that is F2P cause most of them are garb but those might be some of the better ones IMO        Also Fallen Earth...it is a sandbox and has more to it involved than a themepark game like most mmo's....but its really fun and the help channel is actually helpful im still pretty much a noob to sandboxes as well and they helped me with stuff.

ha f2p=free to play! see im totally learning, however what is a sandbox game and what is a theme park game? and does pvp mean player vs player?

Originally posted by vm9008

ha f2p=free to play! see im totally learning, however what is a sandbox game and what is a theme park game? and does pvp mean player vs player?

yea pvp is player vs player...a sandbox game is basically a wide open world with no set path, you go where you wanna go whether it be across the vast open world to level gathering or following the quests like a normal game or even just exploring bandit hideouts, there are many ways to level up....a themepark is where there are fewer options for leveling IE basically quests, sometimes battlegrounds...i honestly dont know it very definitively, and im sure im wrong a bit, but thats my view at least...themeparks are just...basically they just have less stuff to do than a sandbox lets put it that way...im sure someone else can elaborate more

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by vm9008

I am inconvientaly a newbie in the mmo world. Just because I didn't start playing when I was 12, and have spent hours of  everyday of my life since playing these games. Doesn't mean I suck >.> It means I just learned how awesome these games can be. Just because it takes me a little more time than most to get the hang of the game, doesn't mean I can't eventually be good at the game. I don't understand the harm in some of you "oh so great masters of MMOs" stopping and helping someone who's lost or confused on how to do something. Instead of ranting some newbie crap and running off to kill something or continue your current quest. All and all it's tempting to just stop playing these games all together because no one will give a newbie a chance. :( So my only questions is why?

Well, some people are just bastards and like to bring others down. But relax, it is easy to stop being a noob and very hard to stop being an @sshat.

Noobs that are willing to listen to advices from vets have a huge potential and when I am guildrecruiter they are my main target. They are relatively easy to learn up to be good in groups unlike people who have soloed up to max level and think they know the game.