Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not to long ago paying cash for gold was frowned upon,

1235»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by paroxysm

Correct. It isn't caused by D3 or GW2 it's just that customers are creating a demand and it will be filled. I still frown on it but I'm not certain the majority of gamers do any more.

Do you adhere your beliefs to what others tell you is ok or do you make your own decisions and stick to your beliefs?

Either you think it's wrong or you think it's fine.  But don't let a company tell you what to believe.

He said he still frowned on it .. so he is consistent. He can't control what the majority of gamers do/feel/think.

Personally, i never thnk there is anything wrong with it. I don't pay big bucks for virtual items (small ones though ... i have no problem selling out $25 for a mount in WOW) only because i don't think they are worth it.

OTOH, i totally endorsed the ability to SELL. If someone want to pay $100 for my virtual sword, they are welcomed to it.

Back in the EQ days, virtual stuff are being sold in EQ .. and there are even people playing tens of thousands to buy a character. The demand has been always there.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Interesting

It is still frowned upon.

Its just some people have a natural inclination to be sheeple/fools. A natural trait of mankind.

Ah, when no rational argument can be made, simply restate your false assertion as fact and attack/insult the opposition? Interesting, but cliche.

You are giving too much credit to random posters on INTERNET forums. It is an established fact that people are not rational. And personal attack is the sure fall back strategy when facts are not on one's side.

Even presidential candidates do so. You don't expect random internet posters to be better, do u?

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

If the game is competitive, the players become competitive. And if you have to have certain items to be able to compete, you'll find a way to get them if competing and winning is important to you.

Is it ethical? Is it fair? As others have said, it depends on the times and the prevailing custom. Times have changed.

If you don't like it, you don't have to play. Sucky answer, I know. But this situation is likely here to stay so choose with your wallet.

Originally posted by Jaedor

If the game is competitive, the players become competitive. And if you have to have certain items to be able to compete, you'll find a way to get them if competing and winning is important to you.

Is it ethical? Is it fair? As others have said, it depends on the times and the prevailing custom. Times have changed.

If you don't like it, you don't have to play. Sucky answer, I know. But this situation is likely here to stay so choose with your wallet.

Personally i would expect more RMAH in the future.

Look at D3. The RMAH was heavily discussed, and featured. And even with all the server problems, it became the best selling PC games, selling 6.5M copies in the first week.

With that kind of numbers, nobody will think RMAH has a negative impact on sales. Players either don't care enough to stop buying, or actively like it.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I enjoy the combat mechanics too. To answer your questions:

1) Whether it is worth playing is up to the user. Given the high sales of D3, obviously it is worth playing for many. For me, if i find the combat fun, and if the RMT part is either fun or neutral, the game is worth playing.

2) It is not a job if combat is fun. If combat is not fun, i won't play independent of whether there is RMT. Secondly, the point is to beat Diablo .. you can't do that (or take very long) without using the AH. Oh, no one says i will play the game forever. When ti is finished, i move on.

3) What is wrong with greed? It is human nature. There are whole CITIES (like Vegas) catering to that emotion. If i find it exciting to make money off the RMAH, i don't see a problem. Oh i am sure Blizz loves to keep me as a customer. Nothing wrong with that. They get money, and i get fun ... isn't that what game company is supposed to be about?

The amount of money involved in D3 is small compared to a real job ... the right analogy is gambling, which is of course fun for many. So i see D3 as a good ARPG, with some RM gambling aspect thrown in.

1.  Indeed it is up to the user to define their own fun.  We agree there.

If you go back and read what you posted previously, you'll see a very obvious pattern.  You like to make money off the game.  That's neither here nor there to me.  What I took exception with was your descriptions of play.  Buying gear because you couldn't progress.  Buying gear to farm gear to sell to others.  Are you really playing the game because you enjoy playing the game or because it makes you money.  My opinion of that doesn't matter, but you should be honest to yourself about your own reasons.  Personally, I wouldn't really even call that playing the game.

To me it's not simple gambling.  It's one thing dressed up as something else.  The part about Vegas doesn't really fit this game to me other than you can relate "the house always wins" to Blizzard being the house.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

I voted yes, discuss.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Correct. It isn't caused by D3 or GW2 it's just that customers are creating a demand and it will be filled. I still frown on it but I'm not certain the majority of gamers do any more.

Do you adhere your beliefs to what others tell you is ok or do you make your own decisions and stick to your beliefs?

Either you think it's wrong or you think it's fine.  But don't let a company tell you what to believe.

He said he still frowned on it .. so he is consistent. He can't control what the majority of gamers do/feel/think.

Personally, i never thnk there is anything wrong with it. I don't pay big bucks for virtual items (small ones though ... i have no problem selling out $25 for a mount in WOW) only because i don't think they are worth it.

OTOH, i totally endorsed the ability to SELL. If someone want to pay $100 for my virtual sword, they are welcomed to it.

Back in the EQ days, virtual stuff are being sold in EQ .. and there are even people playing tens of thousands to buy a character. The demand has been always there.

The value of the item should not impact whether you think the act is good or bad.  Same thing about who is making the money.  Buy or sell, it's the same act.  You think it's right or wrong.  It can't be both.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Isn't it curious how times have changed.  I remember the days (which werent that long ago) that if it was discovered you bought gold that was grounds for removal from most guilds.  Most of your online friends would cease to talk to you, etc.  It was basically the MMO equivalent of being a molester or something along those lines.

Now, i remember in EQ2 when they added in a cash shop where you could buy stuff like appearance armor and such.  And even now there is backlash.  Personally i could care less about stuff like that.  If someone wanted to buy a furry jacket, as long as it didnt give them stats, fine.  Stuff like that, what i call fluff items, is ok to me.  Its when they can buy xp pots or gems they can turn into in game money, etc.

The market gives in to what players want.

Look at D2 .. lots of RMT outside of the game. Blizz fixed all that in D3. Now there is no stigma to use RMT since it is officially sanctioned.

Yeah, but that only goes so far.  At some point as a company you have to draw a line based on ethical considerations.

I'm sure that having random hot naked chicks just randomly walking around 2 or 3 times per episode of CSI would probably boost ratings. but the question is, should they do that?  When does it become socially, morally, or ethically wrong?

Blizzard did it (RMAH, not nekkid women) in D3 and now they're getting MASSIVE backlash from the community from it.  Which means it was a socially unacceptable action.  So, while there isn't a "stigma" per se anymore, there is still obviously a societal issue that has to be considered as well.  People don't like feeling like they're getting fleeced, or being put in a position where in order to enjoy the game they are forced to pay for it.  I.e. "you can play our f2p game, but you only get 1 bag slow with 8 slots, and if you want more bag slots they're 10 each".  So, yes you can technically "play" the game for free, but your ability to enjoy the experience is blocked by things that are purposely annoying and frustrating in a bid to make you want to spend money to clear those obstacles.

I really think the only reason f2p games are even remotely popular is because of younger kids who either don't have to work for their money, or may have jobs but are still really being supported by their parents so they dont have any real bills or worries/responsibillities.  People who have kids to support, and mortgage payments, and dentists bill, etc etc, pay a lot more attention to where and more importanly what they're spending their money on.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

The value of the item should not impact whether you think the act is good or bad.  Same thing about who is making the money.  Buy or sell, it's the same act.  You think it's right or wrong.  It can't be both.

I never say the "valule of the item" impact my view. I only say "i totally endorse the ability to sell." The $100 is made up .. i am as happy if it is $10, or $1.

Isn't it curious how times have changed.  I remember the days (which werent that long ago) that if it was discovered you bought gold that was grounds for removal from most guilds.  Most of your online friends would cease to talk to you, etc.  It was basically the MMO equivalent of being a molester or something along those lines.

Now, i remember in EQ2 when they added in a cash shop where you could buy stuff like appearance armor and such.  And even now there is backlash.  Personally i could care less about stuff like that.  If someone wanted to buy a furry jacket, as long as it didnt give them stats, fine.  Stuff like that, what i call fluff items, is ok to me.  Its when they can buy xp pots or gems they can turn into in game money, etc.

Look at D2 .. lots of RMT outside of the game. Blizz fixed all that in D3. Now there is no stigma to use RMT since it is officially sanctioned.

Yeah, but that only goes so far.  At some point as a company you have to draw a line based on ethical considerations.

I'm sure that having random hot naked chicks just randomly walking around 2 or 3 times per episode of CSI would probably boost ratings. but the question is, should they do that?  When does it become socially, morally, or ethically wrong?

Blizzard did it (RMAH, not nekkid women) in D3 and now they're getting MASSIVE backlash from the community from it.  Which means it was a socially unacceptable action.  So, while there isn't a "stigma" per se anymore, there is still obviously a societal issue that has to be considered as well.  People don't like feeling like they're getting fleeced, or being put in a position where in order to enjoy the game they are forced to pay for it.  I.e. "you can play our f2p game, but you only get 1 bag slow with 8 slots, and if you want more bag slots they're 10 each".  So, yes you can technically "play" the game for free, but your ability to enjoy the experience is blocked by things that are purposely annoying and frustrating in a bid to make you want to spend money to clear those obstacles.

I really think the only reason f2p games are even remotely popular is because of younger kids who either don't have to work for their money, or may have jobs but are still really being supported by their parents so they dont have any real bills or worries/responsibillities.  People who have kids to support, and mortgage payments, and dentists bill, etc etc, pay a lot more attention to where and more importanly what they're spending their money on.

What massive backlash? I don't see people NOT using it. In fact, if you read the forums, they want better search tools to make it better.

Ethical considerations .. WHAT ethical considerations? The RMAH is optional, and you don't have to buy stuff you think is not priced right .. nor to sell. All fair & square to me.

You are way off base. Most F2P players are adults, if you pay attention to research at all. Google is your friend. The reason why F2P is popular is because a) competition .. if there are fun f2p games, why play a P2P one?, and b) lack of commitment .. people like variety and don't like to be locked down in one game.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I do think perceptions and attitudes have changed.....but I don't think that's neccesarly a good thing. My personal attitude on it hasn't changed.... I consider it a violation of the spirit of what games and gaming should be about. In my mind, it's the equivalent of hiring a proffesional ball player to come play on your kids Little League team so they can beat the competition.

Perceptions and attitudes do change over time, but such things aren't always changes for the positive. Nor are things which may be commercialy successfull and may even be good (at least in the short term) for an industry always translate into being good for the HOBBY upon which the industry is built, often the reverse is true.

Looking at sports, particularly at the amatuer or collegate level is a good example. Sports is probably a bigger industry and more commercialy successfull then ever before,  but are all the things that come with that commercial success universally good for sports as a past-time (as opposed to an industry)?  I would argue that success has brought with it ALOT of negatives for the past-time of sports and not just at the proffesional level but also the amatuer and collegate and sadly often even bleeding down into high school and even lower levels of competition. In many respects besides racial and gender barriers Sports as a past-time was FAR better off 70 or 80 years ago then today, before the degree to which it has become a commercial enterprise.

If you want to see something that captures the essence of what Sports SHOULD be about....you are better off going to a Little League or maybe High School game then going to see a College or Pro game these days. You may not see any 500 ft home runs or 90 yd passes, but those were never REALLY what sports were about anyyway. No was aquiring massive amounts of gold, the best gear or the highest level ever REALLY what gaming was about.... despite what many people seem to have deluded themselves to believe. YMMV.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

People who have kids to support, and mortgage payments, and dentists bill, etc etc, pay a lot more attention to where and more importanly what they're spending their money on.

The rest of what you posted was pretty much littered with so much misinformation that I won't even touch it, but wouldn't the above be an argument for microtransactions - a la carte purchase based on pesonal choice and usage - over subscriptions and expansions? It seems the frugal person would pay only for the content they want to use and only during the periods they would like to use it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So when did Eve online start with the cash for ISK thing? Was it like 9 years ago when the game started?  Isn't this trying to close the barn door after the horse has already took off?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by bcbully

edit - I just found out GW2 sells armor and strength bonuses. This is no different than selling the sword of I win.

Do they?

Care to link?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Why frown on something that so many wants? Remind me of Prohibition. It is totally illegical.

I frown on drunks. I don't care if other people drink, even to excess. I just don't want to deal with them. Prohibition is illogical. You can't legislate morality or common sense. Just because many people want something that doesn't make it a good idea. Many people wanted prohibition. I don't.

And you don't have to. It is a free world. Devs can put anything they want in a game, and you have the choice of not playing it.

And "not a good idea" .. according to whom? you?

I think it is a good idea since i can sell my stuff. Dev thinks that is a good idea. Why do we have to listen to you?

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Why frown on something that so many wants? Remind me of Prohibition. It is totally illegical.

I frown on drunks. I don't care if other people drink, even to excess. I just don't want to deal with them. Prohibition is illogical. You can't legislate morality or common sense. Just because many people want something that doesn't make it a good idea. Many people wanted prohibition. I don't.

And you don't have to. It is a free world. Devs can put anything they want in a game, and you have the choice of not playing it.

I think it is a good idea since i can sell my stuff. Dev thinks that is a good idea. Why do we have to listen to you?

Staw man arguements....

Every person here is an individual expressing thier own personal opinions. So clearly, Yes, when someone posts that something "is/is not a good idea", it's a given that's according to them. Expression of personal opinions is kinda the whole point behind a discussion board, is it not?

I don't believe anyone here is attempting to exert any authority over anyone other then themselves. Clearly we're gamers not legislators or regulatory agents. So the idea that anyone HAS to listen to anyone else here is a non-starter.

All we can effectively exert authority over is our own behavior and our intereactions with others. So if you don't care about what we think of you or whether we choose to interact with you, then our stance on this matter should have no direct impact on you. Likewise if Developers don't care what we think or say about thier products and whether we choose to purchase thier products or not, then they are under no obligation to take our attitudes into acount.

What Zymurgeist seemed to be suggesting was that the popularity of idea, concept or desire is not NECCESARLY indicative of the quality of said idea, concept or desire.

At one point in time, the majority of the populace of Europe believed the world was flat and wanted to own slaves. Clearly the former belief was factualy inaccurate and the latter is considered of dubious morality by most today.

Today,  MANY individuals desire to little to no meaningfull work but expect to recieve substantial material benefits in free goods and services from the Government..... a desire which while understandable is of dubious practicality if the debt situation in many nations is any indication.

Because I'm Emperor of the Milky Way Galactic Union. image

I voiced my opinion. Is that a problem for you?

No. And i am voicing mine. Is that a problem for you?