Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Community Webcast Talks Free-to-Play Transition

MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community ManagerQueens, NYPosts: 5,717Administrator Uncommon

Want to know how SOE plans on making the transition to free-to-play with Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? You're in luck! SOE's Linda "Brasse" Carlson sat down with Vanguard's Andy "Sites" Sites and Salim "Silius" Grant for the game's inaugural webcast to discuss just that and more!



Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Comments

  • nakumanakuma New York City, NYPosts: 1,310Member

    this game should of went F2P a long time ago.

    3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

  • zarawerzarawer Okeechobee, FLPosts: 23Member Uncommon

    Um, the lady is wearing a wig and it looks terrible.

  • sakersaker harrisburg, PAPosts: 993Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nakuma

    this game should of went F2P a long time ago.

    Couldn't agree more! They missed a golden opportunity!

  • bobfishbobfish SouthamptonPosts: 1,688Member

    Not surprising that they took the risk of free to play with a title that was already making money. Now they know how much of a revenue increase it is they are doing it to Vanguard.

    I hope this works out, need to dig out my account and hope this whole European split doesn't screw me other.

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon

    As much as I"m interested in Vanguard podcasts I have to say that was way too long for the information given.

    The whole thing could have been tighter.

    Then again, maybe I'm just an old fogey and this is how podcasts are supposed to be?

  • kantseemekantseeme millville, NJPosts: 709Member

    God i hate that guy. He cant even look at the camera. From VG fans, one of the most hated people to have ever touched VG.

  • KilsinKilsin NSWPosts: 342Member Uncommon

    They seem to be hell bent on leaving a trail of destruction right through the middle of Vanguard forcing you to follow some stupid path at the moment...messing up all the chunks with new level limits.

    They have already ruined a few racial starter areas and turned them into 20+ areas, forcing everyone to either start at IoD or 1 of 4 "revamped" starting areas in Telon, Tursh for example is the new starting areas in Thestra...so everyone, Elves, Vulmane, Lessor Giants all squished into Tursh...never mind the Lore or anything. Orcs, Goblins and Dark Elf races to be forced into Tanvu? really SOE?

    So sad to watch this happen, Vanguard was such a great game, all it needed was some love and support from SOE and the Devs, not to be butchered into every other theme park game out there from it's once awesome Sandpit world.

    They are currently breaking more than they are fixing, i really hate to think what it will be like for F2P release, I hope it won't be another 2007 launch all over again.

    SOE need to pull their finger out and work with Vanguards strengths, not destroy them and change them into stupid forced paths that every other game offers, Vanguard isn't supported enough or new enough to compete with other games that already do this...Vanguard needs to be an option for others to play who don't like the theme park easy mode games out there. There are a lot of us too!

    Such a waste of an awesome game...

    /shakes head

    Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website.

  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Nowhere, TXPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon

    Though the graphics are now dated, this is an otherwise great game. Of course I like really big worlds that can be explored. But I think this game would suprise a lot of people in its level of quality if they can get past the blockiness of the character models. The classes are some of the most unique and unsual I have seen and they have a ton of them. I have a list of games that I really want to spend some quality time with and eventually get a max level character on. this is one of those games. Something about it keeps drawing me back to it.

    All die, so die well.

  • drchocapicdrchocapic ParisPosts: 27Member

    Stop talking about it and release it already.

  • finnmacool1finnmacool1 Corona, CAPosts: 453Member
    Originally posted by Kilsin

    They seem to be hell bent on leaving a trail of destruction right through the middle of Vanguard forcing you to follow some stupid path at the moment...messing up all the chunks with new level limits.

    They have already ruined a few racial starter areas and turned them into 20+ areas, forcing everyone to either start at IoD or 1 of 4 "revamped" starting areas in Telon, Tursh for example is the new starting areas in Thestra...so everyone, Elves, Vulmane, Lessor Giants all squished into Tursh...never mind the Lore or anything. Orcs, Goblins and Dark Elf races to be forced into Tanvu? really SOE?

    So sad to watch this happen, Vanguard was such a great game, all it needed was some love and support from SOE and the Devs, not to be butchered into every other theme park game out there from it's once awesome Sandpit world.

    They are currently breaking more than they are fixing, i really hate to think what it will be like for F2P release, I hope it won't be another 2007 launch all over again.

    SOE need to pull their finger out and work with Vanguards strengths, not destroy them and change them into stupid forced paths that every other game offers, Vanguard isn't supported enough or new enough to compete with other games that already do this...Vanguard needs to be an option for others to play who don't like the theme park easy mode games out there. There are a lot of us too!

    Such a waste of an awesome game...

    /shakes head

    It is truly mind boggling to see the path they decided to take. Instead of a massive bug crush/performance boost coupled with a generous matrix to draw people in,they opt for a tweak of a horrible matrix and redesign of low level areas and itemization. To waste 4 months on crap they didnt need to touch shows just how clueless they are.

  • itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon

    isnt it odd that the two devs in the webcast dont have a single level 55 between them?  I would have guessed that a dev would have a maxlevel character or three since most of the players' time in game is spent at maxlevel.

    RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

    Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

    Dwight D Eisenhower

    My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

    Henry Rollins

  • DarwaDarwa CambridgePosts: 2,184Member Common

    Can someone please provide a transcript or just a list of what's been mentioned please?

  • kantseemekantseeme millville, NJPosts: 709Member
    Originally posted by darwa

    Can someone please provide a transcript or just a list of what's been mentioned please?

    For what? So someone can pick it apart? It already sounds like a bunch of bullshit. At somepoint that girl said something about the large world and was that the reason for there being flying mount in at launch. Well i was there for launch and i dident see any flying mounts.

  • Syphin_BSyphin_B Salisbury, MDPosts: 258Member Uncommon

    BTW, that comment about the wig.. maybe she's going through chemo or losing her hair? So what about her appearence bro, big deal.. she seems like a very genuine and nice lady. It doesnt look that bad.

  • DarwaDarwa CambridgePosts: 2,184Member Common
    Originally posted by kantseeme
    Originally posted by darwa

    Can someone please provide a transcript or just a list of what's been mentioned please?

    For what? So someone can pick it apart? It already sounds like a bunch of bullshit. At somepoint that girl said something about the large world and was that the reason for there being flying mount in at launch. Well i was there for launch and i dident see any flying mounts.

    Well, for one thing, it would help out the deaf *rolls eyes*

  • ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member

    I hereby offer my services to SOE to help them make a podcast worthy of releasing to the public. I know nothing about video production, but I do know how to say, 'cut - let's do that ovever'.

     

  • bobfishbobfish SouthamptonPosts: 1,688Member

    About the Golden Path, I'm not entirely sure on what they've changed so far, only seen bits of information. But Vanguard is bottom heavy when it comes to content.

     

    There is a lot of content at the low levels, far more than needed and significantly less the higher up in levels you go. So changing that around seems sensible to me, start the funnel small and grow it out as you level up, giving more diversity the higher in level you go.

  • KilsinKilsin NSWPosts: 342Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bobfish

    About the Golden Path, I'm not entirely sure on what they've changed so far, only seen bits of information. But Vanguard is bottom heavy when it comes to content.

     

    There is a lot of content at the low levels, far more than needed and significantly less the higher up in levels you go. So changing that around seems sensible to me, start the funnel small and grow it out as you level up, giving more diversity the higher in level you go.

    It was bottom heavy but is now like a forced path after removing or "revamping" a lot of the racial starter areas.

    The chunks that were starting to thin out a bit are being changed too so this is why a lot of us are having trouble understanding why these changes are being made.

    Limiting players options, ruining the awesome in depth Lore that Vanguard has is plain stupid, they are some of Vanguard strengths, they should be expanding on them not removing them.

    All the racial area music worked on by symphony Orchestras, intricate little story lines for races...why steer players away from that? At least give them the option to start there even if it is less populated and create a way to get the players to meet at the end of a solo quest line of something, what they are doing is drastic and harmful to the game IMHO.

    Other MMOs are doing this already, Vanguard isn't supported enough to try and follow the same path, they would be better off focusing on their strengths and trying to attract players who are sick of the some old spoon fed thing.

    Sure, go ahead and revamp a few areas to entice more players to visit that area, it creates a social environment but when the chunk can hardly handle 2 raids worth of players (48) I am quite worried to see what will happen when the Dev force a bunch on new players into one area.

    Basically, they are new Dev's and have good intentions but with poor guidance from Silius and Andy (why the hell is Brad letting this happen!?)  these changes are continuing to be pushed out without any care for the rest of the game or the player base it seems.

    It very frustrating to watch this happen to such a good game.

    Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website.

  • AsboAsbo ManchesterPosts: 796Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Drago

    BTW, that comment about the wig.. maybe she's going through chemo or losing her hair? So what about her appearence bro, big deal.. she seems like a very genuine and nice lady. It doesnt look that bad.

     Could not agree more, there is no need to attack her personally and she is just trying to bring value to the game and that's what we should do in all our lives is bring value in  what ever we do daily.

    Bandit

    Asbo

  • TelondarielTelondariel Ottawa, ONPosts: 1,001Member
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    Originally posted by Kilsin

    They seem to be hell bent on leaving a trail of destruction right through the middle of Vanguard forcing you to follow some stupid path at the moment...messing up all the chunks with new level limits.

    They have already ruined a few racial starter areas and turned them into 20+ areas, forcing everyone to either start at IoD or 1 of 4 "revamped" starting areas in Telon, Tursh for example is the new starting areas in Thestra...so everyone, Elves, Vulmane, Lessor Giants all squished into Tursh...never mind the Lore or anything. Orcs, Goblins and Dark Elf races to be forced into Tanvu? really SOE?

    So sad to watch this happen, Vanguard was such a great game, all it needed was some love and support from SOE and the Devs, not to be butchered into every other theme park game out there from it's once awesome Sandpit world.

    They are currently breaking more than they are fixing, i really hate to think what it will be like for F2P release, I hope it won't be another 2007 launch all over again.

    SOE need to pull their finger out and work with Vanguards strengths, not destroy them and change them into stupid forced paths that every other game offers, Vanguard isn't supported enough or new enough to compete with other games that already do this...Vanguard needs to be an option for others to play who don't like the theme park easy mode games out there. There are a lot of us too!

    Such a waste of an awesome game...

    /shakes head

    It is truly mind boggling to see the path they decided to take. Instead of a massive bug crush/performance boost coupled with a generous matrix to draw people in,they opt for a tweak of a horrible matrix and redesign of low level areas and itemization. To waste 4 months on crap they didnt need to touch shows just how clueless they are.

    They did the same thing with EQ2.  Its all the same template now, and they never learn.  Dave Georgeson (Smokejumper) continues to do whatever he will, only listening to player demand insofar as the Cash Shop is concerned.  Brasse used to be cool, but now she is simply a corporate mouthpiece with Dave's hand far, and deep, in her back. 

    The truly sad thing is Vanguard needs all the help it can get to survive.  One has to wonder if it would have been better to have the lights shut off when the community , and game, still had their pride.  Its going to be the cheap n' easy trollop that EQ2 has devolved into, making its living by selling $5 potions and $19 sparkle ponies.  Content will become nerfed, itemisation will be just as messed as the botched job in EQ2 (its the same guy doing Vanguard's re-itemisation), and a once-proud game will lurch about like everything else Dave and Smed get their greasy hands on these days.

     

     

     

    image
Sign In or Register to comment.