Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too much to explore....

13»

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Loke666

I agree with OP even though the word "Vista" have a bad tone to me for some reason... ;)

Well, there's a redeeming factor... "Vista" gives "XP"... =P

Originally posted by Tokken

Exploration is key for me.

Do you get EXP for completing a map or finding even a Vista?

Aye they do. Even crafting gives experience. You can actually level a character to 80 only with crafting.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

there can never be too much to explore the more the better cause that gives yu stuff to do when yu dun feel like doin quests or to do when yu rushed to max level which i feel is a waste take yur time to enjoy the game instead

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Tokken

Exploration is key for me.

Do you get EXP for completing a map or finding even a Vista?

You get more xp for completing a map than doing a few events from start to finish, it's THAT good. Vistas also give nice xp as well.

I should add here that by exploring you will find hidden treasure chest, jumping puzzles, hidden npcs that start events etc etc. If you see a place that looks awesome and think there might be something in there, then chances are that there IS something there.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

I have strongly advised the members of my Guild to take their time and enjoy the experience - including of course taking everything in and lingering through the content rather than charging.

I tend to find those who complain the loudest about the game being 'samey' or 'boring' played it the way they expect an MMO to play - not the way GW2 does if you don't come to it preloaded with the expectations and habits drilled into you from other games.

No need to rush this one - it's an art gallery, not a drag race.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Now what I'd love is if ArenaNet added 'stumble upon' quests like The Secret World uses a lot where just by walking around, you might find... a broken sword for example.  The sword has an inscription that leads ties to a name on a graveyard in a nearby town - and so on you unravel a story.

Look at the video somebody posted of the meta-event chain secret boss.  It's around here somewhere.

A rare drop with no instructions on it  that required asking repeatedly in the whole zone if somebody had it, something that takes hours of grinding to MAYBE find...

... hours of doing 2 really difficult hidden jumping puzzles, finding a secret area, and having to beat what is probably currently the toughest boss in the game (We're talking about something that is taking players hours to take down), just to activate the one key.

There's possibly other stuff like this.  So yes, there's 'stumble upon' quests.  The primary example at the moment is just crazy hard and elaborate. :)

Whoa... I hadn't even heard of that.  Still, I'd love MUCH more smaller-scale quests.  Even something as simple as finding a locket and returning it to someone in a village or small stuff like that. :)

I came across a note/manual of someone that had dropped it on the floor in one of the asura areas.

So after I dropped into the water and checked below, I found a small passage that lead me into a small cave after a bit.

In this cave was a crazed asura professor hiding.

After he saw me, he called me an invader (among other things :p) and sent skales and crabs after me.

Everytime I managed to make him lose hp, he would put a shield over him that made him repel all my attacks as long as he didn't move.

At the time he was under this force fiend, he spawned more enemies that went after me.

After I managed to defeat him, I was able to check out the cave in which he had his whole lab. :)

As far as I know that are several little things like that around in the world, one just has to find them.

Many unfortunately are missing such things because they are too busy to rush from heart to heart or event to event (or just griding by killing everything around them).

I'm personally taking my time and enjoy the environment around me. :)

Also keeping my eyes peeled at all times for the little things that are planted in the game.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

I know im going to get flammed for saying this. To me this games vastness makes it feel less like a theme park MMO I mean the world is HUGE and its not like most games as of late where every class and race share the same content. You have so MANY choices as to where you want to go level. My son made a Char and I made a Sylvari. He saw there starting area and bypassed his. So he was a char doing the Sylvari area. Granted his story line quest required him to be in a specific area but out side of that he had freedom to choose where to go level. Reminds me of EQ1 when you had multiple areas to go level for each level group.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I fully plan to do a bit of both, leveling and exploring.  The best part of GW2 to me has always been that it doesn't matter what true level you are, you can always enjoy lower level content as though you were around that level, making it fun and challenging and not a one-shot-fest - meaning anything I missed I can still play through as if I'd never skipped it.  Thus, exploring should always remain fun.

Try getting a lot of depth out of a low level area in WoW, you'll be bored in 2 minutes.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I was really underwhelmed by the Vistas. I expected a really well thought out and finely tuned swooping overview of the surounding area inlcuding commentary giving a bit of lore. I was really disappointed to be honest. Instead what we got was a pretty boring 5 second single camera pan that somehow highlighted how bad the graphics really are underneath all the style. I hope they are improved.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

If i wanted to explore, i'd go hiking in the santa monica mountains.

The only thing of any importance is getting to level 80 as fast as humanly possible. Once there, then maybe i'll have a look around.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Fuck yeah, that's what I've already been doing.  I meet up with people and go wherever my wasda fingers bring me.

I barely pay attention to actual events, quests and npcs and just run around to wherever I see excitement :P

Always cool stuff to get caught up in

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Vannor

I was really underwhelmed by the Vistas. I expected a really well thought out and finely tuned swooping overview of the surounding area inlcuding commentary giving a bit of lore. I was really disappointed to be honest. Instead what we got was a pretty boring 5 second single camera pan. I hope they are improved.

I hope they are removed.  What we didn't need was more hand-holding to witness the beauty of the world.  They're pointless.

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

People keep saying they are going to take their time and explore, ironically this is actually a fast way to level in GW2. Unless you completely ignore DEs (but then, you are missing a lot of exploration....).

I'll be taking my time and exploring everything too, but I'm pretty sure I'll hit 80 long before I've seen it all. And, if I focus on just one character at first (yeah right, I'm an alt-aholic) that will probably be about 2 weeks at most (level 80 that is, not exploring everything, I expect that to take months).

Originally posted by Eir_S

I was really underwhelmed by the Vistas. I expected a really well thought out and finely tuned swooping overview of the surounding area inlcuding commentary giving a bit of lore. I was really disappointed to be honest. Instead what we got was a pretty boring 5 second single camera pan. I hope they are improved.

I hope they are removed.  What we didn't need was more hand-holding to witness the beauty of the world.  They're pointless.

That's the thing though, somehow they actually made the game world look horrible. If they arn't improved I would definately say they should be removed as well.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I was really underwhelmed by the Vistas. I expected a really well thought out and finely tuned swooping overview of the surounding area inlcuding commentary giving a bit of lore. I was really disappointed to be honest. Instead what we got was a pretty boring 5 second single camera pan that somehow highlighted how bad the graphics really are underneath all the style. I hope they are improved.

That would take so many months to do, especially considering all the Vistas that are in game now.  Adding lore would be a nice touch though.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Im definitely going to take my time and enjoy this game to its fullest and expect that i will be lvl 80 well before seeing all of the content..

Playing GW2..

• rachmat19rachmat19 Member Posts: 29

Me and my friends decided we wanted to explore everything and just leveling up by exploring. I'm pretty sure by the time we got to 100% we would have leveled to 80 multiple times, so yeah, no worries there...

Originally posted by observer

That would take so many months to do, especially considering all the Vistas that are in game now.  Adding lore would be a nice touch though.

They should do it properly or they shouldn't do it at all. So far it's the only thing in the game that looks cheap and rushed in my opinion.

• meredienmeredien Member UncommonPosts: 18

I rarely explore in MMO's since lets face it most MMO's dont really offer that much of an exploration to begin with, I mean most MMO's holds your hand lets you quest all over the place and thus exploring comes with the questing.

Now in GW2 you will really get rewarded if you take ur time exploring, I mean ive only seen a fraction of the stuff we are being offered and Im just so hooked on exploring the rest come release that I dont really know where to get my fix atm ;D

I love the vistas and I love the jumping puzzles and Im so damn stoked to see what else lies in store for us when we actually reach a little farther into the game :D

• TbaismTbaism Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Thrashbarg

People keep saying they are going to take their time and explore, ironically this is actually a fast way to level in GW2. Unless you completely ignore DEs (but then, you are missing a lot of exploration....).

I'll be taking my time and exploring everything too, but I'm pretty sure I'll hit 80 long before I've seen it all. And, if I focus on just one character at first (yeah right, I'm an alt-aholic) that will probably be about 2 weeks at most (level 80 that is, not exploring everything, I expect that to take months).

I am right there with you but I don't expect it will take me months.

This is exactly how I leveled. I just simply finished exploring all of the starting zones. I put off my personal quest until it was finished and pretty much completely ignored Dynamic Events. Until they opened Asura and Sylvari, I was averaging about level 21-22 by the time I actually finished the level 20 part of the personal quest. Once those two were opened I was about 24-26.

It confuses me why people keep assuming that 100% completion is going to take a huge amount of time. I spent the first day and a half doing that part and from what I could tell by exploring very little in the 20+ zones, is that the areas for the races start to combine, making it even faster to finish since there is far less travel time. Not to mention that the experience necessary to level 35+ plateaus.

I hear that towards at higher levels the number of waypoints and such decrease, but until then, I fully intend to level this way. Not only is it one of the fastest ways to do so, but it's not particularly boring in my opinion.

The only time I plan to really do DE is when I complete each zone and want to grind karma points to upgrade my gear. It's not as though they track them, so there isn't any real incentive to try and complete all of them to begin with. Hell, I don't know how any can even figure out if they missed one anyways. In order to fully unlock and complete the areas, you have to pretty much go through everything anyways. Anything really worth doing that is.

The only thing so far that I would consider daunting is trying to complete all of those seperate achievements in your journal and along with your guild's. Now that I can see taking a while.

I still haven't seen much of anything past the second zones, but unless the higher level content is like 10 times the size of that, I don't think there will ever be "too much" content to explore. As it is, things seem just right. Admittedly my opinion could change once I do get to that point, but I doubt it.

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

I will probably end up trying to do all at once (PVE, PVP, crafting, exploring) so will hit 80 before I get to explore ''everything''.

But knowing what I usually do in these games eventually I will turn every rock on that huge map.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

This is the reason why I love BTP.

If this game was a sub then I would feel inclined to push the levels and skip content as I am too busy in RL.

As this is not a subscription based game. I will wander off and sus out every nook and cranny because I don't feel like I need to get a months sub worth.  I can take my time basically.

I found a chest under water on the weekend and it was loaded, I felt buzzed about having some exploration pay off.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'll probably be doing quite a bit of exploring.  World design is something that really interests me.

I wish there was a good 'game' that allowed you to design a world.  Anyone know of a game with fairly realistic graphics that allows you to do this?  Minecraft is interesting but the graphics are not what I had in mind.  

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Terranah

I'll probably be doing quite a bit of exploring.  World design is something that really interests me.

I wish there was a good 'game' that allowed you to design a world.  Anyone know of a game with fairly realistic graphics that allows you to do this?  Minecraft is interesting but the graphics are not what I had in mind.  

I don't know how much experience you have with developer tools, but I like the Skyrim Creation Kit a lot. You have to have Skyrim to use it though. You can get really detailed with it. 

• NotoriousXNotoriousX Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

I have been known in my circle of mmorpg friends as the slowest proggressor in the world! Ever since MUD's and then into M59 and onwards. I love to explore and smell the flowers, if you will. It's just something I do... if I can't feel a real sense of exploration then I don't hang out long in a mmorpg. That's likely why I love GW2 so much. And yes, I will be taking the long way around :) I'll see 80 sometime next summer! ;)

MUD!!...Uhhhh i remember those days...golden! i agree with ya my friend

Tormented echoes of a fallen Eden
    I longed for her beauty
    Yet from dust, she returned
    The dream, an enigma.... silent