Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Archeage features list...are all others doomed?

alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member

if im reading things right it seems AA has all the features american and EU developers have been pising on for years, but the community has been asking for, especially since this new anti-WoW clone sentiment has been growing. Short of stopping it from being published here, what is americas answer to archage?

Comments

• OrphesOrphes TrePosts: 3,048Member

I believe the president of the GW2 motorcycle club wants a word with you.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member
    Originally posted by Orphes

GW2 is not AA. its AA light, next?

• RivalenRivalen TaviraPosts: 503Member

Doomed? No.

There's alot of different tastes, so that's that.

Will AA have some features that will be a hit with alot of people?

Sure.

• DeddpoolDeddpool alta loma, CAPosts: 192Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by alexanys1982

Using IF and SEEMS and then making a statement that you want to be percieved as a fact is quite humorous.  Have you played AA? No? Next?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member

Before I make my decision on AA.....I will need to see that it has all the features actually working and in the game.  I will say that I'm very intrigued by the game and hope that it will find a NA publisher.  It's the next "big one" out there for me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• alexanys1982alexanys1982 naples, FLPosts: 276Member
    Originally posted by Deddpool

Using IF and SEEMS and then making a statement that you want to be percieved as a fact is quite humorous.  Have you played AA? No? Next?

Never said I wanted it seen as fact. Just asking what is there from my own country to pull me away from this korean game with a features list from heaven.  Its a simple question

• winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon

DOOMED!!! Doomed i say! Hahahah

Thanks for the joke op, the title of this thread is just tooo funny for words.

Its doubtfull archage will even sell as well as D3 or GW2. Still keep your dream alive

every MMO needs its Fanbois, and the humerous threads are good for a laugh.

Doomed! we are all Doomed i say there will be only one MMO Archage! hahahah 

• OrphesOrphes TrePosts: 3,048Member

l2read perhaps?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by winter

Its doubtfull archage will even sell as well as D3 or GW2. Still keep your dream alive

Dude just try to keep your dignity for christ sakes.

To the OP, it is titles of threads like yours that support the war here on the forums. It is ok that you are happy with the features list, but you should just leave other games out of it. Do not take it as an insult, more like an advice if something.

Regarding the features that ArcheAge offers, I think that it has potential to be the next big MMO. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time. Hopefully, the features work as they are supposed to and the game lands in a polished state. The depth of building, crafting, creating promises a long run :)

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• KilsinKilsin NSWPosts: 342Member Uncommon

As long as AA can deliver everything offered in a perfectly translated Western version and be supported by the company chosen over here, I think AA will do very well.

If a Western company could do something similar to this, it would attract millions of players IMHO, simply because it would give everyone so many options to play how they wanted to play and therefore cover a much wider market.

For me, AA is looking like it will be the closest AAA MMORPG to come close to UO, yet on a modern game engine. I hope to see many more games like it being released int he future.

Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website.

• pierthpierth San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,503Member

As Kilsin stated above it all depends on how well the material is presented- case in point: for me personally the list of features available in EQ2 should have sealed it as everything I desire in a MMORPG, however the aesthetics and feel of the combat don't appeal to me at all (I've tried it four times now because I really want to like it) so despite the features, it's the presentation that ruins it for me.

• KilsinKilsin NSWPosts: 342Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by coretex666

Dude just try to keep your dignity for christ sakes.

To the OP, it is titles of threads like yours that support the war here on the forums. It is ok that you are happy with the features list, but you should just leave other games out of it. Do not take it as an insult, more like an advice if something.

Regarding the features that ArcheAge offers, I think that it has potential to be the next big MMO. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time. Hopefully, the features work as they are supposed to and the game lands in a polished state. The depth of building, crafting, creating promises a long run :)

OP is asking a legitimate question though...

If AA delivers and sets a new standard, other MMO companies will have to lift their game to compete or risk being left behind, this will be awesome for gamers if AA does well.

It will show these half arsed F2P companies that we no longer support their cheap throw together MMOs that lead us down scripted paths and will instead start throwing our hard earned money at companies who create games like AA, that cater to a much wider range of players and give us more bang for our buck, so to speak.

If they pull it off...if not, we will be stuck with this current garbage for a long time to come.

I just hope they can nail the Western translation or it will kill it for me.

Community & Web Manager | Visionary Realms, Inc.
    Visit our Development Website.

• Vunak23Vunak23 In your house eatin'' your cookies, FLPosts: 635Member

And let the Gw2 motorcycle club meet the moder fkin Cookie Monster son. He doesn't stand a chance.

ArcheAge is what the MMO genre needs. Its bringing the virtual world back, not the railed system that keeps getting more rails as of late. ArcheAge has a little something for everyone.

Player housing that actively affects the world. Being able to create a real farmhouse/village/city/town/castle/port/port city etc.

Yes all the features are working as of CBT4. This is the guy that brought us Lineage (jake song) He is the reason Sieges are a big thing. He brought us one of the most popular games out for a very long time. I do believe its stillt he 2nd or 3rd most popular MMO in Korea, behind L2.

Ship crafting/ship warfare exploring with no loading screens

Active Jailing system, so PK's can't do it without any consequence.

Questing with some pretty cool features (You can pick up quests you like and overcomplete them for additional rewards 25/15, 20/10 etc. Or you can undercomplete them and get a reward equivalent to the undercompletion 5/12, 6/15 etc.)

CryEngine 3 so its going to look extremely good

They are working on adding in weather affects.

Cities in the middle of the ocean/under the ocean (you can create)

Gliders

Emphasis on world feel with active travel (carriages, airships, paying for passage from a player with a ship) Teleports are expensive for a reason, they dont want you do dumb down the world they created

Player created factions along with the guild feature (so more then one guild could be apart of a full on player created faction) create an Empire.

Did I mention Sieging?

A class (Ability) System with over 1000 different combinations. (way more indepth then TSW's Ability wheel)

The only downside to this game is it is coming out of Korea, so it might not appeal to a wider western market. But that being said the art style is not what you would normally see out of Korea, so that might not be that much of a problem.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ValuaValua LiverpoolPosts: 520Member

As if you put GW2 in the same sentance as D3. 

GW2 is a very good game, D3 medicore at best.

D3 sold millions upon million of copies, GW2 will be lucky to sell a quarter of that number. 

And lastly, neither of the two games are sandboxes, so what do they have to do with ArcheAge? 

It's like comparing Justin Bieber to Mumford and Sons, one outsells the other by a large number, but that doesn't mean they are better or should be compared, as they are both very different types of music. 

Sometimes I cannot stand themepark fangurls, and in this case GW2 fangurls.

On topic though; ArcheAge will become the biggest sandbox, and a lot of people who have never tried sandboxes before will move over to it, it will do something amazing for the sandbox genre, and maybe even impact the themepark genre in some ways.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vunak23

And let the Gw2 motorcycle club meet the moder fkin Cookie Monster son. He doesn't stand a chance.

ArcheAge is what the MMO genre needs. Its bringing the virtual world back, not the railed system that keeps getting more rails as of late. ArcheAge has a little something for everyone.

Player housing that actively affects the world. Being able to create a real farmhouse/village/city/town/castle/port/port city etc.

Yes all the features are working as of CBT4. This is the guy that brought us Lineage (jake song) He is the reason Sieges are a big thing. He brought us one of the most popular games out for a very long time. I do believe its stillt he 2nd or 3rd most popular MMO in Korea, behind L2.

Ship crafting/ship warfare exploring with no loading screens

Active Jailing system, so PK's can't do it without any consequence.

Questing with some pretty cool features (You can pick up quests you like and overcomplete them for additional rewards 25/15, 20/10 etc. Or you can undercomplete them and get a reward equivalent to the undercompletion 5/12, 6/15 etc.)

CryEngine 3 so its going to look extremely good

They are working on adding in weather affects.

Cities in the middle of the ocean/under the ocean (you can create)

Gliders

Emphasis on world feel with active travel (carriages, airships, paying for passage from a player with a ship) Teleports are expensive for a reason, they dont want you do dumb down the world they created

Player created factions along with the guild feature (so more then one guild could be apart of a full on player created faction) create an Empire.

Did I mention Sieging?

A class (Ability) System with over 1000 different combinations. (way more indepth then TSW's Ability wheel)

The only downside to this game is it is coming out of Korea, so it might not appeal to a wider western market. But that being said the art style is not what you would normally see out of Korea, so that might not be that much of a problem.

my first impression, gut reaction say, was to laugh and think, well how often have we heard all this before..  but.. it does sound interesting,  despite the references to 'lineage' maybe Archage will achieve what Aion was unable to do, and actually succeed in the west.. its about time sandbox games were taken more seriously.image

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon

hey mind linking/C&P the features here in this thread?

• UOvetUOvet Fort Myers, FLPosts: 514Member

Because the sales of D3 and other games pretty much tell you how good the game is. Is this correct?

Anyway, I'm waiting on ArcheAge and The Repopulation. No themeparks for me..so..I'll be playing Planetside 2 until something along those lines come along. Some people might be suprised at all the sandbox players once they actually make a funded one that doesn't just shit on everything.

If a Western dev would take the ideas of ArcheAge or many other sandbox (remove the FFA PvP, keep guildvsguild ffa), make it post-apoc, add zombies, they would sell millions.

• ValuaValua LiverpoolPosts: 520Member
    Originally posted by UOvet

Because the sales of D3 and other games pretty much tell you how good the game is. Is this correct?

Anyway, I'm waiting on ArcheAge and The Repopulation. No themeparks for me..so..I'll be playing Planetside 2 until something along those lines come along. Some people might be suprised at all the sandbox players once they actually make a funded one that doesn't just shit on everything.

If a Western dev would take the ideas of ArcheAge or many other sandbox (remove the FFA PvP, keep guildvsguild ffa), make it post-apoc, add zombies, they would sell millions.

Post-apoc is best kept for films/tv/single player games. They never do well in a multiplayer environment.

And I also believe zombies are just the latest trend, we'll move on to something new soon, I've got a feeling it'll be aliens again.

Point I'm making is, instead of making a game with what's popular today, they should make a game with something that's been popular for a long time, something that's proven itself time and time again. To be honest though only fantasy and sci-fi-opera are the only two that have lasted for so long that I can think of.

Multi-verse could work, lots of different genres in one game, that's why I'm looking forward to Otherland, which so far has blown me away.

But ArcheAge is fantasy, which has a loyal fanbase and most people like that setting, so it will do very well if it lives up to even some of it's hype.

• AmarantharAmaranthar OhioPosts: 2,425Member Uncommon

I'm watching AA. I'm not interested in any other MMO to date, and I'm a bit worried that AA will be too much Themepark inside that Sandbox. But it has a boatload of good ideas. I think it'll be a big success over here just because it does have so much Sand content. I hope to see it released here in America, and I'll probably play it barring any heavy Themeparkiness yet undisclosed.

Once upon a time....

• keenberkeenber galwayPosts: 438Member

NA answer to AA = EQ next or Titan maybe

• fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

ALOT of people will hate and whine on AA. 

I am sure of it.

But there will be enough of people that will play it.  Less than GW2, less than few other mmorpg's, but there will be sizeable niche for this game in west. 

This game will NOT be liked by many, but that's ok.  Actually mmorpg market start shy differentiation atm and I won't it to continue.  It is impossible to make game that will be attractive to all players.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member

AA also has alot of features I think make a game horibad such as free for all PvP and crafting centric economy.  This isnt even to mention it is a Asian game and theres little chance in hell that it gets ported over and translated well.  Plus the combat is rather WoW like.  If you are going a hotbar based combat system then you need to have a limited skill system aka GW2 or TSW style, instead of having 3 rows of 12 skills to memorize.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,734Member Uncommon

Just because a game has alot of features doesn't mean it will be a great game....We have seen many in the past that had great features but couldn't execute them very well.

• tyninatynina York, PAPosts: 6Member

If it would have consentual pvp servers it would probably have a big impact, but it doesn't so not expecting much.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

AA has a great feature list, but until I have played a beta weekend or a trial, I'll not consider buying the game. I've watched quite a few Youtube videos, so I have a general idea of what the game looks like. I don't like the art style very much, but I can probably get over that if the game delivers everything it promises.

The feature list doesn't make the game, it's how those features are implemented that makes the gameplay.