Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you remove the "killing things" activity from MMORPGs, what remains? What would be required for a

13»

Comments

• DanrleiDanrlei Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Disdena

This topic immediately reminded me of an article by Raph Koster that I read some years ago: The evil we pretend to do

Basically, MMOs by default are about genocide against intelligent races for the purpose of acquiring power in a way that isn't heroic at all, and it's weird that we're all okay with that.

Wow, it was written many years ago, but it is still modern.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I play MMO's to be a hero not to be a crafter or socializer.  Killing things is the funest thing to do and I would reckon I am not in the same boat.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Disdena

This topic immediately reminded me of an article by Raph Koster that I read some years ago: The evil we pretend to do

Basically, MMOs by default are about genocide against intelligent races for the purpose of acquiring power in a way that isn't heroic at all, and it's weird that we're all okay with that.

Of course we are ok with it. Video games (and movies) are just an outlet for our need for violence. Don't you think it is a coincidence that most video games have some violence in it?