Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"There has yet to be a virtual world that even comes close to the number of things you can do in Ult

Comments

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

The graphics yuk and I hate games that make you hover way over head.  Not sexy.  I'm not playing if I can't be sexy.

Well yeah that's why most of us stopped playing UO. Well I found myself on a pretty empty shard too by fall of 2000. EQ1 was a 3D world and that mattered to gamers.

Just since then the scope of MMORPGs in comparison to UO has narrowed, narrowed, to the point most of the MMORPGs today play like Farmville rather than like the 1st generation of MMORPGs.

a yo ho ho

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

When it comes to UO there is no comparison , there is nothing close to it . Is there another game where you could gate an actual lich into your house , trap it with furniture and use it as an anti theft device (and cool decoration) ? :P

A friends favorite mo , was laying down a few items (like a cloak , couple bone armor pieces etc ) in a dungeon , making it look like a player died and didnt get his stuff back yet, stealth near by , and when a poor sob tried to loot and open his trapped backpack it blew up in his face  .... 

There are so many fond memories of that game , I dont think anything will feel like it ever again :)

That and EQ's sense of acomplishment , is what I miss the most . Its all about conformity these days , everyone wearing the same stuff , doing the same stuff  , its boring . 

EQ2 's housing is nice , but not even close to UO . EQ2 's guild halls I do like . 

Overall its the community that changed the most , not the games . There can be only one first love . Us oldtimers chase that feeling all the time , but we can never experience it again I think . But we can hope :)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I would say true.

I have not properly played Eve to say for certain.

SWG was great, but doesn't stand up against UO when the question at hand is phrased as it is.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BruwinBruwin Member UncommonPosts: 54

The graphics yuk and I hate games that make you hover way over head.  Not sexy.  I'm not playing if I can't be sexy.

And honestly, it's stupid posts like this which led to people preferring games like Everquest. EQ was 3D and felt more in the world, while actually massively restricting your activities in it. And games after that followed the EQ model without understanding that it wasn't UO's gameplay that people disliked. At least not completely. It just was the fact that it was an isometric world that didn't have as free of movement. Also, the UI was complete and utter trash.

Honestly, if UO had shipped with EQ style graphics and a UI that was more forgiving, I doubt EQ would ever had been a blip on anyones radar. And what really hurt UO in the end was that EA wasn't willing to let the Origin devs actually try to recreate UO in that 3D world because UO was at least making some money. They didn't to risk alienating that group... and ended up doing so anyway with some really poor decisions later on.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

AMD has the best revolving-door scam ever invented.  KA-ching.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

But the real question is was any of those activities actually FUN? having loads of things to do that are actually fun is the trick. My time on a UO second age private server was a click fest of mind numbingly boringness (hey I make words up) with the most god awful UI ever created. I always get the feeling with UO as a scientific experiment to see what crushingly boring tasks you could make a player perform just to rasie their skill by 0.008% and make them feel like it was real, they had to have FFA PvP to relieve the bordem factor, though I loved the clippity clop of your horse as you rode around.  

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Calerxes

But the real question is was any of those activities actually FUN? 

Yes they were.. But then fun is subjective isn't it. The thing about UO is that it offered so many things that most people would find plenty within the game they found fun.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by Interesting

Example of things you can/could do in EVE and Star Wars Galaxies that come close to Ultima Online?

I will talk about Eve Online as SWG is dead.

Eve Online has no maximum skill level your skills are trained in real time which means even if your not logged on your skills are training.

You can own space stations and star bases in Eve Online as well as fly ships in space and blow other people up in some of the best pvp fights ever to grace the online gaming industry.

Its not against the EULA to pull scams on other players or to steal in game money and items. In some ways its encouraged.

No where in space is safe even High Sec which is considered to be safe can be more deadly then null sec.

Over 40k players on at one time on one server no shards or seperate servers. Most I have seen logged on at one time is 55k players. No other MMO can do this. Ever been in a pvp fight with more than 500 people on each side ? Well I have and its epic. The battles can range across whole constelations.

The whole market is 99% run by the players the remaing 1% is still held by NPC's and CCP. But CCP wants to hand over that remaining 1% to the players eventualy. And sometime in the future we may see players running high sec space stations as well.

CCP are making Dust 514 which is a PS3 FPS MMO that will tie into the Eve Universe and effect it in some way. This is an industry first, imagine being a capsuleer in a ship giving air support to the Dust Bunnies from orbit. Or playing Dust 514 and calling in air support at a location your trying to take control of. Both cases use players not NPC's to achieve.

Better graphics and character customization than UO and SWG. Eve now has one of the best character creators for any MMO I have seen. Also the hair wont clip through clothing due to the technology of flowing clothes and hair which means they will react to the enviroment around them just like real items do. This carbon technology is being used in CCP's new MMO the World of Darkness as well.

You asked and I delivered.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Bruwin

And honestly, it's stupid posts like this which led to people preferring games like Everquest. EQ was 3D and felt more in the world, while actually massively restricting your activities in it. And games after that followed the EQ model without understanding that it wasn't UO's gameplay that people disliked. At least not completely. It just was the fact that it was an isometric world that didn't have as free of movement. Also, the UI was complete and utter trash.

Honestly, if UO had shipped with EQ style graphics and a UI that was more forgiving, I doubt EQ would ever had been a blip on anyones radar. And what really hurt UO in the end was that EA wasn't willing to let the Origin devs actually try to recreate UO in that 3D world because UO was at least making some money. They didn't to risk alienating that group... and ended up doing so anyway with some really poor decisions later on.

UO was  gankfest and even if it shipped with graphics likes EQ it would sitll be gankfest. EQ got rid of griefing and gave players a better PVE experince. EQ would have still been a bigger success regardless of graphic style of UO.

Hell i didn't even have any chocies back then when i used to play UO. I played it because there was nothing else. But when i found EQ i never looked back.

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by dave6660

My corp used to play football in Eve Online with a can and cruisers with tractor beams and ewar.  We would setup containers as goal lines on both sides.

Could you do that in UO?

Hell yes you could but UO uses a bolaball and not a can

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by ahumata

- Cook, tinker, make potions, furniture, clothes you name it, whether it was for use, trade or vanity. Crafting is unrivaled at this point.

- Craft and enchant and otherwise modify (color, name) magical items with various properties to your liking

im curious - what did UO offer in crafting that EQ2 does not have?

you cannot name gear in EQ2 but otherwise it supports most if not all of this

you just answered your own question

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Second Life laughs at UO's number of things to do. And among MMORPGs EVE Online offers much more sandbox content

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Second Life laughs at UO's number of things to do. And among MMORPGs EVE Online offers much more sandbox content

Having played both and as much as I love EVE, I fail to see how it offers more sandbox content than UO. EVE has a great meta game but it just does not come close to UO in it's pomp.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Having played both and as much as I love EVE, I fail to see how it offers more sandbox content than UO. EVE has a great meta game but it just does not come close to UO in it's pomp.

A person above listed like 60 different things to do in EVE while UO fan could list only 15. Dunno, I played UO abit and I feel even EQ2 has more things to do

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

If all goes to plan avoiding disaster and maybe the end of the world,come mid 2013 there will be a game that will encompass Ultima and old SWG and a spice of  Vanguard the rather humongous clue is in my sig. image

p>
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by angzt

just curious, what could you do in UO that couldn't be done since then? ^^

The biggest difference is current mmo tie non-combat abiliies to combat abilities.  A good portion of my characters had little to no combat abilities and they were still very successful in the world.  Also my characters that were combat were not mule character to feed resources to my non-combat characters.

I loved fishing in UO.  Was such a great destraction and the unique things you could fish up were interesting.  My fisherman character was just that a fisherman.  He wasn't some great adventurer that killed dragon (besides serpents).  He filled the role that I wanted him to fill.

With item destruction (I know four letter word to a lot of people) you could be a merchant.  The itemazation in UO created a much more vibrant world.  There wasn't this huge rush to the end so you could get the best loot.  Most of my characters ran around in nothing but gm stuff.

I wasn't a fan of stealing from other players but was a lot of fun stuff to steal in town.

Player housing and decorating, yes it has been done since but I spent so much time decorating and re-decorating.

Treasure maps.

So it isn't so much that there was a lot more to do, it was put together in a way that you could choose what you wanted to do without being forced down paths that you didn't really want to.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Venger
    Originally posted by angzt

just curious, what could you do in UO that couldn't be done since then? ^^

The biggest difference is current mmo tie non-combat abiliies to combat abilities.  A good portion of my characters had little to no combat abilities and they were still very successful in the world.  Also my characters that were combat were not mule character to feed resources to my non-combat characters.

I loved fishing in UO.  Was such a great destraction and the unique things you could fish up were interesting.  My fisherman character was just that a fisherman.  He wasn't some great adventurer that killed dragon (besides serpents).  He filled the role that I wanted him to fill.

With item destruction (I know four letter word to a lot of people) you could be a merchant.  The itemazation in UO created a much more vibrant world.  There wasn't this huge rush to the end so you could get the best loot.  Most of my characters ran around in nothing but gm stuff.

I wasn't a fan of stealing from other players but was a lot of fun stuff to steal in town.

Player housing and decorating, yes it has been done since but I spent so much time decorating and re-decorating.

Treasure maps.

So it isn't so much that there was a lot more to do, it was put together in a way that you could choose what you wanted to do without being forced down paths that you didn't really want to.

Burn down a castle with a candle.

a yo ho ho

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by darker70

If all goes to plan avoiding disaster and maybe the end of the world,come mid 2013 there will be a game that will encompass Ultima and old SWG and a spice of  Vanguard the rather humongous clue is in my sig. image

FAQ

"There will be Player vs. Player combat. We plan to initially support two rulesets, and will consider additional rulesets (such as a PvE server) if enough demand for them exists."

When this happens I'll probably check it out.

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

A person above listed like 60 different things to do in EVE while UO fan could list only 15. Dunno, I played UO abit and I feel even EQ2 has more things to do

I wouldn't place too much credence on what people say in terms of lists as to the limitations of either game. You can think you have comprehensively exhausted the options of both after several years of play and yet someone will come up with anotehr avenue, another path. That is what makes them such wonderful games.

You felt EQ2 had more to do than UO, fair enough, that is your opinion but I can't see how you reached it personally. I also can't see how EVE (as great as it is) has more options than UO. The meta game was as strong in UO and the ability to have an avatar as opposed to a ship simply allowed for more stuff to do, even daft little things.

Should EVE continue to evolve and add a fully fleshed out WIS then it could close the gap and even exceed what UO did. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Venger
    Originally posted by darker70

FAQ

"There will be Player vs. Player combat. We plan to initially support two rulesets, and will consider additional rulesets (such as a PvE server) if enough demand for them exists."

When this happens I'll probably check it out.

Hope you do,cause this is definately happening with this game if the community ask for it and it is feasible they get it simple as that. image

p>
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781

But the real question is was any of those activities actually FUN? having loads of things to do that are actually fun is the trick. My time on a UO second age private server was a click fest of mind numbingly boringness (hey I make words up) with the most god awful UI ever created. I always get the feeling with UO as a scientific experiment to see what crushingly boring tasks you could make a player perform just to rasie their skill by 0.008% and make them feel like it was real, they had to have FFA PvP to relieve the bordem factor, though I loved the clippity clop of your horse as you rode around.  

No doubt that was a problem. The point of the post is that you could do so many things, but that's an issue that would need to be addressed as it has bveen over the years in other styles of games. UO itself has done quite a bit too.

But one thing, these things are "game play". Some players don't want it and would rather just get to the hack and slash hack and slash hack and slash hack and slash hack and slash. This sort of game would never meet their requirements for "depth". It's for players who want this, who don't consider it meaningless. Players like those who loved Skyrim (for those who would say there isn't a large market for it).

Once upon a time....

• MikeMossMikeMoss Member UncommonPosts: 66

I have to mention that a year ago I thought that I should give UO a try again since I remembered it so fondly.

I just couldn't handle the graphics, you can't believe how bad it looks now on a 24" monitor.

I only played for about 15 minutes and gave up.

If you could even increase the image quality to a reasonable level, but you can see every big blocky pixel, it looks like a mosaic.

But I would like to see a game in 3D with that kind of depth.

I guess it's just too hard to do with the type of graphics we have now.

Lord of the Rings Online lets you have a house that you can decorate, but the options are very limited.

I log in every couple of months and pay my upkeep though just so I don't lose it.

But my house in UO was special, I searched for just the right place to put it and then made it look just the way I wanted it to.

Even a corral for my horse so he didn't wander off.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you have to use a silencer?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

For the player whose goal is solely to max stats, UO was and is a very boring game. Luckily, one doesn't have to come remotely close to max stats (or even care about stats) to enjoy much of what the game has to offer. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

No MMO has come close to the social aspect UO delivered in my opinion. You worked with people. You had your blacksmith buddy who did everything for the guild, you had the alchemist friend who would make potions for everyone if you supplied regs that night. I don't know how much changed after 2002 - started playing 97. I was very off/on the last couple years I played because they changed just too much.

The type of players were also different then though. I don't know if it was "number" of things you could do that made UO great but more so how you were just free to do whatever for the most part. Want to fish all day? Knock yourself out. Mine all day? Go for it, you'll have tons of people contacting you. 

I'd say it was more of a social game than anything else now that I look back on it. Unfortunately, this is the main thing lacking today.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by dave6660

My corp used to play football in Eve Online with a can and cruisers with tractor beams and ewar.  We would setup containers as goal lines on both sides.

Could you do that in UO?

Bag Ball! So.... yea, you can.