Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"There has yet to be a virtual world that even comes close to the number of things you can do in Ult

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ahumata

Not sure why the list still hasnt been provided. Then again if it had, a lot of people who say "Eve, Perpetuum, this, that" would probably realized they're wrong. I had an active account from 98 to 2008, didnt play much after AoS but still did, so I have no idea what they put in since 2008. More stuff no doubt:

I'm putting this UO list so that people can compare against it and soon find out how short they come on options offered by those other games since UO.

In UO, besides killing stuff you could:

- Stealth around picking locked chests in dungeons.

- Herd, Tame, train and sell pets

- Go fishing, fish up rares and lost treasure (the bigger stuff involved fighting)

- Grow plants

- Build, decorate and sell houses. That includes creating new decoration elements through optical illusion, which was a UO art in itself.

- Snoop people's backpacks and steal their stuff if you felt so inclined

- Hunt for rares, trade them

- Harvest all kinds of resources (obviously)

- Cook, tinker, make potions, furniture, clothes you name it, whether it was for use, trade or vanity. Crafting is unrivaled at this point.

- Get on your boat, sail around and explore

- Do a lot of social stuff that was in some way or other supported by game mechanics and not just total "let's pretend"

- Move heavy objects around so to create improvised structures

- Craft and enchant and otherwise modify (color, name) magical items with various properties to your liking

- Salvage and scavenge stuff from anywhere. Pick magical reagents from the wild, smelt or otherwise unmake items, etc.

- Build libraries and rune libraries (allows players to travel around the world from a central location)

- Run a shop

- Scam people in a hundred ways

- Trap and lock boxes and untrap and unlock them, which gave a lot of opportunities for stunts and antics

- Make monsters fight for you so you wouldnt have to do it yourself (I know, technically it's fighting)

I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, not to mention the creative things people would always end up doing with the game mechanics that were clearly not intended in the first place and gave the game that sense of freedom.

Good luck matching that to any game released since.

You could do a lot of that in SWG go figure though, the two titles shared quite a few developers.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think the difference between UO and a lot of the newer games is that players carried out activities that weren't part of what the developers planned for the players to do. I remember reading about an auction house that served the same purpose as the auction house in games like WoW, but it was 100% player run. There were no automated systems in place at all. While it's not impossible that players could do something like that in others game, I don't think they would.

If you're just listing distinct activities, there are probably other games with just as many activities that are designed by the developers. It's odd, but I think the current "virtual world" games have fewer activities than the "gamey" games.

I don't think the number of developer designed activities is all that relative to the enjoyment of the games being played though. WoW has lots of distinct activities, but that doesn't make it a great game. Minecraft has very few distinct activities, but that doesn't make it a horrible game. It would be generous to say that Half Life 2 has 4 activities, but Half Life 2 is an awesome game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

False. UO and EvE are the only good ones.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xfrVUj_c0&t=18m14s

Including this here for all you folks.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I lean towards true, though I realize that other games have come close, if not matched the style of freedom found in UO in their own variations; SWG is a great example, as is the likes of EVE. The fact that I'm still playing Ultima Online sixteen years later and capable of finding new or unique ways to play the game is a credit to the detail placed into giving players the tools necessary to effect their environment.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Interesting

"There has yet to be a virtual world that even comes close to the number of things you can do in Ultima Online."

Is this statement true or false? Could you provide examples of MMORPGs and "things you can do" in these games that "come close" to Ultima Online?

Going with both.

True when it comes to Western MMO's

False when it comes to Eastern MMO's - ArcheAge don't have the time or patiences right now to list things but a simple google search or search on this site will show you some of the times you can do in the game.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Kilsin

True.

I have yet to find a game that comes any where near as close to the amount of freedom and things you could do in UO.

Except you could do nothing because you were getting ganked every 10 seconds.....It wasn't until Trammell came along that the game became playable.

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by ahumata Not sure why the list still hasnt been provided. Then again if it had, a lot of people who say "Eve, Perpetuum, this, that" would probably realized they're wrong. I had an active account from 98 to 2008, didnt play much after AoS but still did, so I have no idea what they put in since 2008. More stuff no doubt: I'm putting this UO list so that people can compare against it and soon find out how short they come on options offered by those other games since UO.   In UO, besides killing stuff you could: - Stealth around picking locked chests in dungeons. - Herd, Tame, train and sell pets - Go fishing, fish up rares and lost treasure (the bigger stuff involved fighting) - Grow plants - Build, decorate and sell houses. That includes creating new decoration elements through optical illusion, which was a UO art in itself. - Snoop people's backpacks and steal their stuff if you felt so inclined - Hunt for rares, trade them - Harvest all kinds of resources (obviously) - Cook, tinker, make potions, furniture, clothes you name it, whether it was for use, trade or vanity. Crafting is unrivaled at this point. - Get on your boat, sail around and explore - Do a lot of social stuff that was in some way or other supported by game mechanics and not just total "let's pretend" - Move heavy objects around so to create improvised structures - Craft and enchant and otherwise modify (color, name) magical items with various properties to your liking - Salvage and scavenge stuff from anywhere. Pick magical reagents from the wild, smelt or otherwise unmake items, etc. - Build libraries and rune libraries (allows players to travel around the world from a central location) - Run a shop - Scam people in a hundred ways - Trap and lock boxes and untrap and unlock them, which gave a lot of opportunities for stunts and antics - Make monsters fight for you so you wouldnt have to do it yourself (I know, technically it's fighting)   I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, not to mention the creative things people would always end up doing with the game mechanics that were clearly not intended in the first place and gave the game that sense of freedom.   Good luck matching that to any game released since.
    You could do a lot of that in SWG go figure though, the two titles shared quite a few developers.

agreed, pretty much all that and more in SWG. so while most games fall way, way short i would say the clear cut answer to the original question is false.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Not sure why the list still hasnt been provided. Then again if it had, a lot of people who say "Eve, Perpetuum, this, that" would probably realized they're wrong. I had an active account from 98 to 2008, didnt play much after AoS but still did, so I have no idea what they put in since 2008. More stuff no doubt:

I'm putting this UO list so that people can compare against it and soon find out how short they come on options offered by those other games since UO.

- Go fishing, fish up rares and lost treasure (the bigger stuff involved fighting)

- Grow plants

- Build, decorate and sell houses. That includes creating new decoration elements through optical illusion, which was a UO art in itself.

- Cook, tinker, make potions, furniture, clothes you name it, whether it was for use, trade or vanity. Crafting is unrivaled at this point.

- Do a lot of social stuff that was in some way or other supported by game mechanics and not just total "let's pretend"

- Craft and enchant and otherwise modify (color, name) magical items with various properties to your liking

- Salvage and scavenge stuff from anywhere. Pick magical reagents from the wild, smelt or otherwise unmake items, etc.

- Build libraries and rune libraries (allows players to travel around the world from a central location)

- Run a shop

- Trap and lock boxes and untrap and unlock them, which gave a lot of opportunities for stunts and antics

- Make monsters fight for you so you wouldnt have to do it yourself (I know, technically it's fighting)

I'm forgetting a lot of stuff, not to mention the creative things people would always end up doing with the game mechanics that were clearly not intended in the first place and gave the game that sense of freedom.

Let's see, you could do these 30 things in EVE

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/politics/30-things

or maybe these 20 more things in EVE

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/politics/20-things

Of course if you prefer a more pictoral view this might be for you

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/eve-wtd.jpg

although personally I am able to think of a few more not on the chart. (and they've since added to the game like planetary exploration/management.

I don't know if this compares to UO, but its a pretty good list and still probably the best title out there today, (UO is a former shell of itself)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I remember a couple of times we'd using Taming and go into the woods and tame every single critter we could find, for hours (sheep, rabbits, etc. I can't even remember) and then herd them all into Brittannia and cause so much lag/clutter we'd crash/ DC half the people in the city.

Good times.

Or we'd tame a dragon and let it loose at the bank and watch all the AFK'ers get gib'd.

I do miss things like treasure hunting / fishing on my boat, collecting stuff for my house, collecting stuff for the guild tower...

Trying to pick pocket at the bank in Yew and make it out of towns before the guards got us.

So many little things that made UO a whole lot more than a game.

The game was so much more than PvP... I feel sorry for anyone who missed out during the height of UO after the Trammel / Felucca split.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

What was great about UO was that you could interact with basically everything.

Its basic, but UO had doors that you could open and close. Chairs that you could move arround and sit on. If you saw a chest somewhere, you could open it. There was nothing in the world that was only cosmetic. Thats what made UO so immersive, I think.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Kyleran

- Grow plants

- Run a shop

Let's see, you could do these 30 things in EVE

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/politics/30-things

or maybe these 20 more things in EVE

http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/politics/20-things

Of course if you prefer a more pictoral view this might be for you

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/eve-wtd.jpg

although personally I am able to think of a few more not on the chart. (and they've since added to the game like planetary exploration/management.

I don't know if this compares to UO, but its a pretty good list and still probably the best title out there today, (UO is a former shell of itself)

I looked over a lot of items on that list, and while there were some that seemed unique to Eve...most of them seemed to just be "socialization" type things that could be done in any sandbox MMORPG.

My vote on this topic is true...from all the MMORPGs I've played, nothing has really topped UO in terms of "stuff" you could do.  And this largely stems from the huge amount of world interactivity in UO.

I mean, in UO, if you see a chessboard...you can double click on it and literally play Chess with someone in-game.  If you see a blank book, you can literally write a book in game.  If you see a rolling pin, flour, water, and an oven...you can bake bread.

UO was kind of like a WYSIWYG game in that right.  If you saw anything in game, there was a good chance you could interact with it.  I really don't think any game since has had that degree of interactivity.  In the single player realm, the Elder Scrolls series in the only thing that I think really comes close.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm putting this UO list ...

Thanks.

It was a pretty pointless thread for people that never played UO, without having a list.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Kilsin

True.

I have yet to find a game that comes any where near as close to the amount of freedom and things you could do in UO.

Except you could do nothing because you were getting ganked every 10 seconds.....It wasn't until Trammell came along that the game became playable.

That's not what people want to hear.   There was a lot of behind the screens UO dev talk of  'Oh crap, they're doing this now!  How do we fix that??'   Because the constant ganking, greifing, and exploiting was not well liked by the Devs nor by a number of departing players.  (Waves at BadSpock;)

Still the OPs point is pretty valid:  There are very few games with as much freedom as UO.   With that freedom came a host of issues.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• NivezNivez Member Posts: 93

Loved trapped boxes insta killing fools:)

Another fun one was last targeting a weapon, snooping the person, disarming the weapon and last but not least

stealing that bad boy the second it hits the bag you just snooped:)

True. btw on the features

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

In Ultima Online you could write books.

Go to a Library, take a book, sit on a chair, put the book on a tabble and read it. Or write your own.

You could write your own Secretum Secretorum or Mysteriis Aegiptorum and make it very valuable and secret to your group who had access to it.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Unshra
    Originally posted by Interesting

"There has yet to be a virtual world that even comes close to the number of things you can do in Ultima Online."

Is this statement true or false? Could you provide examples of MMORPGs and "things you can do" in these games that "come close" to Ultima Online?

Going with both.

True when it comes to Western MMO's

False when it comes to Eastern MMO's - ArcheAge don't have the time or patiences right now to list things but a simple google search or search on this site will show you some of the times you can do in the game.

arche age is not out yet, for now all features are just legend for us :p, till the game is out and we start do things there we can't compare

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

True - Ultima (Ultima VII and UO) is the Epitome of a Virtual World RPG.
    SWG could have been a successor, Skyrim is the next best SRPG to it.
    Lets await the future iterations of new Virtual Worlds.

Second Life is a huge anything goes sandbox with servers full of claims containing playparks and themeparks - not so much a "World".
    The word "Slum" comes to my mind...a semiorganized Slum controlled by a Master-Landlord.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

True..........

I still have the head of a particularly annoying Murderer in my bag for 13 years now...............Revenge is sweet in UO

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

In Ultima Online people could steal the key to your house while you were not watching and then go to your house with their guild and have a lot of fun.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by angzt

just curious, what could you do in UO that couldn't be done since then? ^^

There's plenty of features that has been copied or emulated but few, if any, MMOs have anywhere near the number that UO has in just one MMO.

Take for example ships and fishing. Here are just some of the features built around it:

Almost every aspect of UO is like a rabbit hole that leads to a dozen diverse activities related to it.

Pretty much, if it's in your current MMO, it was more than likely in UO first.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I think most of those griefing actions are the reason many of us thought UO was nothing but a game for griefers.  Never liked the graphics to boot.  Still believe SWG was the best open world game produced. One thing you can't argue is SWG had musicians and dancers lol!

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

In terms of mmo games, true.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

UO was unique, and the likes of it will probably never be seen again. Pre-NGE SWG was probably the only mainstream MMO that came vaguely close to UO in terms of freedom and and player creativity.

If UO launched today as a fully 3-D MMO with the unrestricted pre-Trammel ruleset, it would probably be instantly invaded by 10,000 members of some PK community that would kill everything that moves 24/7 until the game closed down after 3 months, lol

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Truth is, I've never understood why not one single developer ever thought creating good virtual world outside of the UO/SWG teams was a pretty good idea.

I guess they need to try and swing for the fence instead of trying for a solid double.

I missed out on these two titles in their hey day and feel I really missed out on something unique (same with AC)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon