Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Trion Know What They are Doing?

benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

I have to say that after checking my email this morning I am a bit perplexed at Trion's testing strategy for End of Nations.

Apparently they are having a beta event this weekend starting today and running through Sunday. Sound familiar? It should because it now coincides with what I consider to be the biggest prerelease online game event I have been witness to in over 12 years of MMO testing. (Guild Wars 2 BWE3 for those of you that are reading this from under a rock.) Not only that, but they send me this email late the night before the event starts. Not alot of time to download the client there...

I know that End of Nations is technically a different genre, but I would have to think that the competition for peoples time and the short notice will result in a fairly low turn out for their event. I think it would have made more sense for them to test the next weekend.

What do you think?

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Different strokes for different folks. Some like one game, some like the other. Every MMO gamer is no obligated to play everything that is released. 

I think the two attract two different type of MMO crowds anyways.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I don't get it either to be honest. This weekend has been a complete mess. Virtually nobody participated the event. The people who did had nothing but client and server stability issues. Hence the whole event has been postponed til further notice.

Honestly I have no idea what Trion was thinking having this event going on at the same time as GW2 beta event.

• VitaminKVitaminK Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Kumapon

I don't get it either to be honest. This weekend has been a complete mess. Virtually nobody participated the event. The people who did had nothing but client and server stability issues. Hence the whole event has been postponed til further notice.

Honestly I have no idea what Trion was thinking having this event going on at the same time as GW2 beta event.

Really? You GW2 fanboys need to get over your game. I never even thought to sign up for GW2 Beta and I signed up for End of Nations...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Granted I don't think MMO RTS will be very successful, therefore I am not interested in EoN.

But if there was Archeage Beta or The Repopulation Alpha, I would have happily skipped GW2 Beta.

The fact that players prefer to play GW2 Beta rather than EoN, means that the game has no mass appeal, as I thought as soon as they announced it

So I don't think GW2 should influence too much the participation of players in EoN Beta.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by ste2000

Granted I don't think MMO RTS will be very successful, therefore I am not interested in EoN.

But if there was Archeage Beta or The Repopulation Alpha, I would have happily skipped GW2 Beta.

The fact that players prefer to play GW2 Beta rather than EoN, means that the game has no mass appeal, as I thought as soon as they announced it

So I don't think GW2 should influence too much the participation of players in EoN Beta.

Did you know that petroglyph is made up of past westrwood devs that developed the command and conguer series, just that alone tells me that the game could be good.

As for people raving over gw2 the game is nothing special and betas been hyped up way more than eon or any other game of late.

EON has had hardly any advertising promoting their betas, half the guys that are interested in eon didn't even know about the beta on the weekend but gw2 they did know.

Some people also fail to realise just how big the strategy market also is these days and from what I have seen so far eon is far above microsoft age of empires online by a mile. Lets wait and see how it goes after launch :)

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by ste2000

They may have gotten a little more exposure and testing accomplished if players didn't have something better to do that weekend. They hosted another Beta test this last weekend. I logged in once, played for half-an-hour and then went and played The Secret World Celebration weekend the rest of the time. I didn't think either of them were really that fun, but The Secret World weaves a pretty decent story.

RTS or RPG aside...these are MMO's and they compete for alot of the same player base. Have a test cycle during the week or something...geez.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

EON has had hardly any advertising promoting their betas, half the guys that are interested in eon didn't even know about the beta on the weekend but gw2 they did know.

This. No notice. The Beta Weekend for people who make all their plans in the last 5 minutes.