Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the new video on HK-51 Shows that SWTOR is not in peril...

First off, I know full well that the vast majority of users here at MMORPG.com are pretty anti-SWTOR and anything anyone says pro-SWTOR is devolved into a "lol @ fanboi" fest. So let's skip the prelude and get right to it: Yes, I am a fan of Star WArs. No, I have not played all of the mass effects, dragon ages. I've played both KOTOR's and out side of these games, I know little of Bioware. Hell, I didn't like ME and DA: Origins was meh. So I'm a Star Wars fan, much more than a BW fan (if at all). So let's lay that to rest right now.

Back in the heydays of E3 2009 and 2010, we can vividly remember our giddy excitement of the cinematic trailers released by Bioware, who had contracted Blur Studios for three of them, at a few hundred thousand dollars a pop. Now, with a massive marketing campaign for Battlefield 3 causing a massive drain on EA over the last year and a half, coupled with SWTOR's massive budget, it stands to reason that a video of this nature being released post-launch and well into the game's life cycle seems a sign that the game is far from dead or peril. In fact, it shows that game has promise. I know what you're thinking, but seriously. Hold off on the rabid hate for just a few more minutes.

You see, if an investment is losing ground, or money in a way that shows little or no signs of recovering, then a company (any right minded company) would call it quits, and stop investing to let the product run it's course and eventually die. Or pull the plug out right and cut it's losses immediately. Well, as we can see SWTOR has had some serious issues over the last six months or so, however many of these are being resolved, better late than never. Server populations are stabilizing and things appear to have hit a stable period and with moderate growth on a  couple of servers (despite all of the vitrol and hate on these forums).So, that might be why EA and Bioware are still willing to put thousands of dollars into a couple minute trailer on a companion character that likely cost more than most of us make in a year.

Quite simply put: you're wrong. The game is not over, and those of you who were crying and screaming about SWTOR not being SWG or WoW or not-WoW, you're clearly not as informed as you might think. The facts speak for themselves that the game is far from the "gloom and doom" end that all of you people are predicting. They are still dumping loads of capital, man hours and cash into this game and that should speak for itself.

Comments

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

As a SW fan since 1977 I can only say: 

I'm very sorry for you mate. 

• SindorinSindorin Member Posts: 17

Yes, because that's a productive comment, relevant to the topic at hand. As a fan of Star Wars and especially the Original Trilogy:

Who cares if han shot first. [mod edit] enjoy the franchise.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

A trailer is not made out of thin air, you don't know when the trailer was made. It could have been made before release.

Originally posted by Sebber

A trailer is not made out of thin air, you don't know when the trailer was made. It could have been made before release.

expected/10

What a cop-out. So you refuse to admit that it just could have quite possibly been made recently? As in post-launch? Gee, sounds awfully convienient to ignore things that don't conform to a specific agenda.

Originally posted by Sindorin

expected/10

What a cop-out. So you refuse to admit that it just could have quite possibly been made recently? As in post-launch? Gee, sounds awfully convienient to ignore things that don't conform to a specific agenda.

Since we don't know when the trailer was made this thread can't go anywhere.

/thread.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

expected/10

expected/10

Oh wait.

[mod edit]

It have been dataminted pre-release that the HK-51 would come at some point. I don't even know where you wan't to go with this thread. Ohh SWTOR is not failing just look they made a trailer, at some point, that they just released.

Yes, because that's a productive comment, relevant to the topic at hand. As a fan of Star Wars and especially the Original Trilogy:

Who cares if han shot first. [mod edit]  enjoy the franchise.

Lol dude, you are talking about things you dont know, I LOVE THE FRANCHISE, thats why I cant stand SWTOR.

I love every movie from A new hope to Battle for Endor, even I've seen and enjoy the Hollyday special (but the fucking dejaric dancing thing, there I wished to havea shotgun)

Your HK video is nothing, I don¡t want to destroy your bubble, but every stupid thing added to TOR was made years ago, you can see the cathar desings at the web since 2011, the new cntent is done ...but the game is so bad that it really doesnt matter.

Let me be constructive if this is what you want. A cinematic trailer will only make people even more angry against that piece of garbage EA calls a MMORPG, just because it doent have anything to do with the real game. Go and take a look at the awesome cinematics of the fall of Coruscant...have you experienced any of that? Lol no, you get Illum and same faction warzones that stink to ass after 10 games.

Do you think a new companion that you will never use because leave the fleet is totally pointless will save the game? let me  doubt it.

Thats is why I'm sorry for you, you still think SWTOR is doing anything right or will do in the future. We were scammed , maybe you not, but 60% of the player base thinks so.

Now tell me how the game is stabilizing and growing steady after 1.3 and I will tell you 2 secrets (free trials and 7 days of free come back to allow everyone move his toons form the 200, yes 200 servers are about to close next month).

I¡m sorry mate, a trailer doesnt save anything.

• yodablazeyodablaze Member Posts: 234

It isn't about how much is invested into the game, it's about the game itself.  SWtoR has a large support base and I even still play it every so often but for a sub based P2P mmorpg, it will not hold my interest for now with GW2, D3 and a few other games out (no subs required).

To OP: I don't think a video at this point has anything to do with this game's future...

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

HK-51, forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the mech that was available in beta and removed pre-launch? 

I do know it was rumored long long ago.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I heard they finished a lot of voice acting for future expansions even before release.

Saying this trailer shows that they keep on working hard to improve the game is silly.

Everyone knows they should be working on fixing Illum instead of  tossing more companions into the crowd as distraction.

Harbinger of Fools
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Just to help the thread out here is the link to the video mentioned:   http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120716

Thats neato.  But I dont see why this would indicate Swtor is not in peril.  But its cool. 

Originally posted by Corehaven

Just to help the thread out here is the link to the video mentioned:   http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120716

Thats neato.  But I dont see why this would indicate Swtor is not in peril.  But its cool. 

Does the phrase, "a few hundred dollars a pop" mean anything?

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Neither side has any merit in this argument seeing how nobody but EA knows when the trailer was made.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

[mod edit]

If the trailer was made recenly why diden't they use the money to pay for their staff may i ask?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Does the phrase, "a few hundred dollars a pop" mean anything?

Hmmm?   Not sure what you mean by that.  Sorry if Im being a little slow or maybe you just aren't being clear or both. 

If they had really stopped all further additions of any kind to this game that would be shameful, and honestly I would be surprised.  I guess some people have been saying the game is dead or something.  Not me.  Something like that is probably a long ways off. 

But my point is really, you do realize they still put out new content for Star Trek Online too.  All the time even.  I rest my case.  And if you dont see what I mean by that well......it bled subs like no ones business and eventually went F2P just to survive.  Not to mention Atari had to sell the worthless game and cut their losses. 

Is Swtor dead?  Heck no.  Thats kind of ridiculous to say.  Is it dying?  Yea I think it probably kind of has been.  But dont worry.  If it is, it will be a very long, slow, kind of degredation that will probably take a good long time.  But Im glad you are enjoying it.  Im sure you will be able to for a long time, and I have no doubt in that time they will continue to add some stuff for you to further enjoy. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It's possible the trailer was made in the future.

But see, if they are dumping thousands of dollars into trailers and still making content, the game isn't dead. STO limps along with mediocre content with no real system or mechanics increases (at least until Season 6 now). They simply add missions and quests to do. SWTOR has seen the Legacy System, and we are going to see the addition of new planets, a new race more companions, story and more with 1.4. This is costing them prbably millions to do, all the while "still paying their staff" (BTW, what does that have to do with anything other than to troll EA's Layoffs?).

The game is not dying, nor is it dead.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I wouldn't expect Bioware to stop supporting this product any time before shut down. That having been said, I think this shows that they are trying to keep the game as a point of interest for those who have left, etc.

This video is a promotional video for upcoming content. Trying to portend anything (good or bad) from it is not really wise.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• oupslililolooupslililolo Member Posts: 23

First off, I know full well that the vast majority of users here at MMORPG.com are pretty anti-SWTOR and anything anyone says pro-SWTOR is devolved into a "lol @ fanboi" fest. So let's skip the prelude and get right to it: Yes, I am a fan of Star WArs. No, I have not played all of the mass effects, dragon ages. I've played both KOTOR's and out side of these games, I know little of Bioware. Hell, I didn't like ME and DA: Origins was meh. So I'm a Star Wars fan, much more than a BW fan (if at all). So let's lay that to rest right now.

Back in the heydays of E3 2009 and 2010, we can vividly remember our giddy excitement of the cinematic trailers released by Bioware, who had contracted Blur Studios for three of them, at a few hundred thousand dollars a pop. Now, with a massive marketing campaign for Battlefield 3 causing a massive drain on EA over the last year and a half, coupled with SWTOR's massive budget, it stands to reason that a video of this nature being released post-launch and well into the game's life cycle seems a sign that the game is far from dead or peril. In fact, it shows that game has promise. I know what you're thinking, but seriously. Hold off on the rabid hate for just a few more minutes.

You see, if an investment is losing ground, or money in a way that shows little or no signs of recovering, then a company (any right minded company) would call it quits, and stop investing to let the product run it's course and eventually die. Or pull the plug out right and cut it's losses immediately. Well, as we can see SWTOR has had some serious issues over the last six months or so, however many of these are being resolved, better late than never. Server populations are stabilizing and things appear to have hit a stable period and with moderate growth on a  couple of servers (despite all of the vitrol and hate on these forums).So, that might be why EA and Bioware are still willing to put thousands of dollars into a couple minute trailer on a companion character that likely cost more than most of us make in a year.

Quite simply put: you're wrong. The game is not over, and those of you who were crying and screaming about SWTOR not being SWG or WoW or not-WoW, you're clearly not as informed as you might think. The facts speak for themselves that the game is far from the "gloom and doom" end that all of you people are predicting. They are still dumping loads of capital, man hours and cash into this game and that should speak for itself.

Let the haters hate it makes me smile

the fact that all na servers are constant FULL red and orange-red for the eu server everyday also proof that swtor is doing well

still 1mil sub active i wonder how that alone makes swtor a failure lol.

haters gonna hate now now excuse me haters i have some operations and hutball to do.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

I like the game too.  Cheers and can't wait for the updated patch.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Something like 70-90% of the servers closing, there's not a single game forum where people haven't complained about SWTOR, more so than any other MMORPG I've seen, patch fiasco after patch fiasco,xfire stats are laughable, the single worst-looking end-game armor in MMO history, stocks falling dramaticaly, Executive Producer gets fired and rumors of other lay offs happening etc etc.. but no.. the game is not in peril... because they released a "nice" 1.53 minute video.

You're on to something there bro.

..Cake..

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

dead is an over used term here on these forums, when most people use it the object of their scorn is typically far from being canceled, however, SWTOR has lost all but about 20% of its origional player base, this is not good, and its continual lay offs of its development staff as well as the departure of many key heads of those staffs would also be very very bad for the game's health.

Dead?  No.... 

Sick as a dog?  Yeah probably.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by oupslililolo
    Originally posted by Airtaee

As a SW fan since 1977 I can only say: 

I'm very sorry for you mate. 

[mod edit]

Good idea you're on a forum then. Have you clicked that box in the options? "Only show posts from people who agree with me"

It should save you a lot of trouble.

..Cake..

[mod edit]

Lol, if you dont want to hear the opinion of the people different from yours,  why you ask? 

Im sure I was scammed and the 60% of the players who left your beloved game too, or they will continue playing.

The only thing I can't understand is how you, who likes star wars, are not. 

This discussion has been closed.