Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would YOU grind for cosmetic gear?

Comments

• CcDohlCcDohl Member Posts: 65

I'm not sure that I would. While I'm excited about the game, and I hope it's fun, I'm not so sure about the gearing. Why have gear if it does not progress or if all of the rewards are purely cosmetic? Could the stats provided by the gear not be tweaked in a simpler way? Then gear could be purely cosmetic, and I wouldn't have to choose one piece over another due to gear, because my stats would be separate.

To me, it does not seem like substantial enough of a goal to work toward, and it takes a lot out of the sense of the game being a world, replacing it with an esport feel. Possibly worst of all, it seems that the equalization of gear will destroy any real character progression beyond achieving max level. If you aren't satisfied by purely cosmetic gear, then there won't be anything to work toward, and endgame may quickly become stale and boring.

I should point out that I prefer simpler looking gear on characters. If I find a look that I like, I'll stick with it for as long as possible, and dread giving it up for goofy, elaborate looking gear, so that may be part of it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

This is one of those disturbing times when I realize how startingly out of touch I am with the mainstream in general.

I am astounded to see over 80% of respondents would grind for cosmetic gear, something I can't even imagine wasting time on.

No wonder so many cash shops sell cosmetic items, something I never would consider purchasing unless it actually did give real benefits/advantage.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I think many players have grinded for "appearance gear" or achievements in their past mmos without thinking about it

for me

in GW1 it was grinding faction or materials to get different looking armor

in WOW it was grinding for different faction mounts -- the only functionality mounts gave was different looks

same w EQ2,  different quest series for mounts  notably, flaming Rhino mount, Rime Ice mare - all for looks

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Kyleran

This is one of those disturbing times when I realize how startingly out of touch I am with the mainstream in general.

I am astounded to see over 80% of respondents would grind for cosmetic gear, something I can't even imagine wasting time on.

No wonder so many cash shops sell cosmetic items, something I never would consider purchasing unless it actually did give real benefits/advantage.

what i dont understand is why veterans of an mmo need to continuously farm for overpowered gear in order to kill noobs who just started the game a a couple weeks ago.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

While I disagree with using the term "grind," yes, I would dedicate a ton of time in pursuit of prestigious, awesome looking gear.  I wouldn't "grind," which I define as repeating a singular task over and over so much that it becomes insanely boring and begins to feel more like work than a game, for anything anymore :p  That's just bad gameplay design.

It is possible to make a reward require a lot of time, a lot of effort, skill and planning, and still have all the things you need to do to obtain the reward be fun and varied.  Who knew??

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Yeah, why not? If the set appeals to me that much I can grind for it.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

It's the only thing I ever cared to 'grind' for.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

i refuse to vote on such a ridiculous survey. i think the acquisition of cosmetic gear will actually be a fun process. i really dont see ANY grind in GW2.

Originally posted by gessekai332

what i dont understand is why veterans of an mmo need to continuously farm for overpowered gear in order to kill noobs who just started the game a a couple weeks ago.

Sort of a misrepresentation of his point, but I'll bite.

It's not so much about owning noobs as it is progressing your character. It's sort of the whole point of the game. When I, or the guy who said that he wouldn't grind for cosmetics and said nothing about wanting to kill people unfairly, grinds for gear, it's because there is an available level of advancement, and we want to reach it. It's not unlike the level grind really.

For me, it doesn't seem like pure cosmetics will be enough to keep me playing. I won't feel that I am progressing, but that I am stagnant, no matter how shiny my drawers look, and that I will be equal to others in every scenario, never outgeared or outgearing, removing what can be, in some situations, a compelling aspect of the game.

To me, it's like Team Fortress 2. You play for hats. It works well for that game, but it isn't enough for me.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Meh, most are just clicking yes because they like GW2.

"I must convince myself I like an aspect of a game,despite the fact I disliked that aspect in other games, because it's in a game I like"

Come level 80, I really really doubt 80% of people (which the poll indicates will be the percentage) will care enough to grind for vanity.

Originally posted by CcDohl

To me, it's like Team Fortress 2. You play for hats. It works well for that game, but it isn't enough for me.

it's nothing like TF2. TF2 doesnt send you on a journey through a believable world to acquire said hats. but keep misinterpreting for all i care.

• NsaigoNsaigo Member Posts: 18

If it is only hours or days for a cosmetic gear, then I don't see why not assuming I like the appearance.

On the other hand, if it is weeks or months, then hell no.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I would play an average game that is not based on gear over a AAA game that is any day of the week.

I dont like carrots let alone carrots on a stick...and that is all gear based games are, carrots. Weak gameplay. I should be playing for fun, not for a sword of melt your face off. Ooh but getting items is fun you say? Well, then being rewarded a "cool looking" sword should be fun also...you dont want fun, you want to faceroll with overpowered items.

Originally posted by sonoggi

it's nothing like TF2. TF2 doesnt send you on a journey through a believable world to acquire said hats. but keep misinterpreting for all i care.

A believable world huh? Okay bro. If that's what makes sense to you. Be sure you read the rest of the post, about character progression and respond to that, or keep misinterpreting for all I care.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Cosmetic gear is about the only thing I would ever be willing to grind for.

Cosmetic gear kept me in LoTRO until level 72, and got me to spend a bunch of money in their cash shop, when I would have otherwise quit the game around level 25.  It kept me playing awhile even after Turbine nerfed the hell out of my only character, who was a Warden.  Well, that and the fact that I was in a pretty awesome guild.

So would I grind for cosmetic gear?  Absolutely.

...I guess I'm kind of vain that way.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Look at all the people willing to spend hours grinding to look "pretty" in a video game. These are the same people who stick their noses up at people who are willing to grind for stats on gear in a video game...

It's not so much about owning noobs as it is progressing your character. It's sort of the whole point of the game. When I, or the guy who said that he wouldn't grind for cosmetics and said nothing about wanting to kill people unfairly, grinds for gear, it's because there is an available level of advancement, and we want to reach it. It's not unlike the level grind really.

For me, it doesn't seem like pure cosmetics will be enough to keep me playing. I won't feel that I am progressing, but that I am stagnant, no matter how shiny my drawers look, and that I will be equal to others in every scenario, never outgeared or outgearing, removing what can be, in some situations, a compelling aspect of the game.

why does progressing you character have to mean better stats on your gear? why cant it be gaining the rarest armor/weapon in the game? or the highest pvp rank to get access to elite titles/gear?

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

Look at all the people willing to spend hours grinding to look "pretty" in a video game. These are the same people who stick their noses up at people who are willing to grind for stats on gear in a video game...

I actually grind for stats, too. I just PREFER a skill based game over a gear based game. I loved WoW, EQ, etc which are gear based. And I love Skyrim, GW2, etc, which are skill based (for the most part). I think this is the opinion of many of those who would rather grind cosmetics.

PS. I'll be playing Neverwinter when it comes out, and that is looking to be more of a gear based system (with skill involved, but not at as large a scale). To put gamers in a box of this person likes this, so he must hate that is logically flawed to the nth degree. :)

Originally posted by Jimmydean

who ever said that the people who grinded for cosmetics would not grind for stats?? lol. i'm sure that if forced, most of the people who voted would attempt to grind for stats. However, that's whats good about GW2. We aren't forced to grind for anything. If we grind, its because we are enjoying playing, not because we are forced to in order to stay competetive.

why does progressing you character have to mean better stats on your gear? why cant it be gaining the rarest armor/weapon in the game? or the highest pvp rank to get access to elite titles/gear?

Well, it doesn't have to. I'm not paid to design games, so I don't have any ideas besides gear. I just don't think that purely cosmetic stuff will do it for me. I'll feel like I'm doing the same thing with the stats that I had when I started and, therefore, my character hasn't progressed outside of his ever-expanding wardrobe.

If it does it for you, that's great. I hope you enjoy the game.

Well, it doesn't have to. I'm not paid to design games, so I don't have any ideas besides gear.

no youre not. there are tons of ideas served on a platter for you in GW2, you just fail to see and appreciate them. ultimately, you see only what you wanna see. you dont see what you like in GW2, and thats fine. but it doesnt mean things arent there.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Well, it doesn't have to. I'm not paid to design games, so I don't have any ideas besides gear.

no youre not. there are tons of ideas served on a platter for you in GW2, you just fail to see and appreciate them. ultimately, you see only what you wanna see. you dont see what you like in GW2, and thats fine. but it doesnt mean things arent there.

Relax, buddy... all he said was that cosmetic gear grind doesn't do it for him.  It's not outrageous to think that some people might not like obtaining items with no inherent gameplay value.

What? Make more sense please. What's served on a platter? Why do I need ideas served to me? What am I missing about gear progression? I don't like that progression is completely cosmetic at max level, but I'm sure that there is plenty to enjoy about the game.

I haven't really said anything about anything in the game other than the lack of gear progression, which is the topic of this thread.

Once again, I'm not sure what you're saying.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

I would say for some, myself included, it's an attempt to attain a "look".

There so much bad looking gear in these games and suddenly the devs create something halfway decent and those who can't stand the standard gear have something to strive for.

In my LOTRO example, I was riding a regular horse. I was a higher level elf "whatever" and here I'm riding a regular horse when there was a lothlorien horse that seemed much better for my character. Of course, regardless of my character atually hailing from lothlorien (as per my character creation) they did not recognize me as kin nor let me in until I did chores for them. And thereafter I had to do more chores in order to get the horse of my city.

It's like devs are saying "you can look crappy or you can spend time in our time sink and look a bit better."

Of course, I did get the "The Vain" title in Warhammer online so none of this is surprising.

In the end this is why cash shops do well. Players want to somehow find a way to make themselves appealing.

And that can go either way. My roommate has been playing a lot of skyrim and he settled on never using armor, only wearing starter rags but wearing a chef's hat he found. After a bit he also took off the starter rags and just fought in his underwear and chef's hat. A bit surreal but it was hysterical for him.

Some of us are just looking for our chef's hat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

What's served on a platter? Why do I need ideas served to me? What am I missing about gear progression?

lol, im not telling you. you must go on a journey to find out.