Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is so amazing with this game?

Comments

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115

Did you just say you lvled to 25 and you think the game is lame. Thats without doing any leet dungeons or anything that is pretty sad. Maybe you should just give it up :S

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Winterizer
    Originally posted by Vidir

I bought the game and played some beta,but sofar I see nothing special with this game, ok, it looks good runs good but mostly boring quests and everythin you do is more or less same as you did the quest before. Ok I have only played till level 25 but why do they not make it fun? it is just plain boring.

I think it is what people hope it to be rather then what it is. Players always hope "the next game" to be awesome and hype it up beyond anything, then it releases and the rage begins because it did not live up to the expectations. Seen it before, will see it again

Err is it wrong that I feel offended by this post?

Excuse me for actually PLAYING the game and really liking it a lot. I hope you aren't  talking about that aborted WoW-clone called SWTOR, cause last thing I remembered that game had an NDA close to a month before release and Bioware didn't listen jackshit to their Betaplayer feedback -_-

When was gw2 NDA lifted? somewhere around april (or close to that, don't remember exact date)

Does Anet listen to beta feedback? Yes, they actually do as proven each time by each following beta

So sorry for finding this "next game" awesome and finding no reasons why it wouldn't live up to MY expectations 

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

"Here's 20 reasons that I personally like GW2. The game isn't perfect, but it hits all the right buttons for me, and I hope that you and others can find something you enjoy.

Combat

5. No dedicated Healer

4. Low player cap on dungeons ensures everyone MUST do their part to succeed

3. Professions able to adapt to change their role on the fly

2. Skill, not gear grind, is the major determinant of success of failure

1. Movement and position based combat"

LOL. All the points except 3 are the reasons why I will not stay with GW2. It is a fun game and I do intend on playing it a while but the above reasons are why it is not a keeper. 

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I bought the game and played some beta,but sofar I see nothing special with this game, ok, it looks good runs good but mostly boring quests and everythin you do is more or less same as you did the quest before. Ok I have only played till level 25 but why do they not make it fun? it is just plain boring.

Why would anyone play to 25 if it is plain boring?  

If you played, you played as a WoW fanboi and used it's mentality ust to level. I have played every BWE and the stress tests and only got to level 19. I'm not saying you didn't play but I'm calling you out on how you played.

Yeah, the farthest I got as far as leveling was about 17, and that was pretty much just through exploring and getting caught up in events and hearts that happened to be nearby. I spent a LOT of time just in character creation. I may not even get out of character creation for BWE3, what with the Syvari and the Asura being available.

Many posters here have a valid point; for many (if not most) of those that really enjoy WoW or EVE-like games, GW2 is probably not going to be their cup of tea, because it doesn't reward those who spend massive amounts of time in-game in any significant way.  When there is no in-game "I WIN" mechanism or capacity that can only be acquired by massive amounts of time at the keyboard, many standard MMO players won't see the point and would find GW2 boring and pointless.

However, it remains to be seen how many game players are out there that do not enjoy WoW or EVE-like games and have been waiting for something just like GW2 to come along, even if they currently spend their time in games like those (because of nothing more suitable to play).  I know I've been waiting for it ever since I quit WoW many years ago.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Originally posted by Meleagar

Why would anyone play to 25 if it is plain boring?  

If you played, you played as a WoW fanboi and used it's mentality ust to level. I have played every BWE and the stress tests and only got to level 19. I'm not saying you didn't play but I'm calling you out on how you played.

Yeah, the farthest I got as far as leveling was about 17, and that was pretty much just through exploring and getting caught up in events and hearts that happened to be nearby. I spent a LOT of time just in character creation. I may not even get out of character creation for BWE3, what with the Syvari and the Asura being available.

Many posters here have a valid point; for many (if not most) of those that really enjoy WoW or EVE-like games, GW2 is probably not going to be their cup of tea, because it doesn't reward those who spend massive amounts of time in-game in any significant way.  When there is no in-game "I WIN" mechanism or capacity that can only be acquired by massive amounts of time at the keyboard, many standard MMO players won't see the point and would find GW2 boring and pointless.

However, it remains to be seen how many game players are out there that do not enjoy WoW or EVE-like games and have been waiting for something just like GW2 to come along, even if they currently spend their time in games like those (because of nothing more suitable to play).  I know I've been waiting for it ever since I quit WoW many years ago.

Tell me something.

Do you honestly believe that every single person who doesn't like GW2 is a person looking for a massive timesink with an "I WIN" mechanism?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Meleagar

Well, they'd certain feel less compelled to spend every waking moment logged in, yes.

Dubious whether that compulsion ever was a healthy thing.  But it's a holdover from MUDs, where keeping you logged in all the time meant direct income for the company (hourly rates/time sinks).

In the late 90s, developers noticed that the addictive acquisition of gear (as displayed in DOOM, Diablo I & 2, others) could perform the same function.  Players seemed to like it, and it certainly worked on a basic Skinner-Box support for addictive behaviors.  Not surprisingly, over time devs began thinking about consciously removing time sinks.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

No reasoning....

.... no reasons....

.... just cricism.

I know reacting to trolls is pointless, but I am getting tired of unsupported perjorative statements from critics (and from some of the 'fanbois too). They serve no purpose.

If you don't like GW2 - say why, and try to apply some basic logic to your arguement. If you like it - likewise.

Otherwise you waste our time - as I am wasting my time pointing that out.....

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Siveria

Nothing really is special about GW2 its just the newest wow-clone themepark on the market, only unique thing to it I guess is the fact there is no monthly fee, other than that its just a fairly generic themepark mmo.

A mmo to really look out for is The Repopulation, if they deliver what they promise its going to be amazeing. It has 2 combat modes, your generic mmo combat like gw2, rift etc, and then a action mode where its more of a fps/third person shooter style, and you can swap between the 2 at will. It has alot of other neat features too check it out: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php

The Repopulation sounds like a mmorpg thats finally going to be diffrent from the slew of wow-cloned themeparks we been having rammed down our throats since wow's release. I been waiting years for this. Also I just found out about The Repop yesterday and it sounds more promising than any other mmo was in the last 6 years. Assuming the devs deliver.

Also a question.. why do people assume the mmo is going to be any diffrent at release from beta? 9 times out of 10 it really is no diffrent in terms of its core gameplay mechanics and such. Now if the game was a year+ from release then yes the retail could be diffrent than the beta, but GW2 comes out in a month (i think anyway), so the game is not going to differ majorly between now and release. Please.. stop using "it's a beta" as an excuse. If he/she thinks the game is boring now, its going to be no diffrent when its released, because the core gameplay and mechanics won't be changing at this close to release.

If all goes according to plan this game will make any gamer that is looking for a sandbox mmo instead of a themepark mmo wet their pants. There will be no comparison GW2 vs Repopulation unless the gamer still wants that high fantasy mmo setting without a monthly fee.

I expect people will be shocked to discover that the "grind" also known as vertical power progression, isn't actually what they hate about current MMOs. They just hate the same game being made over and over again - and they hate the constant stretching of limited content.

There's nothing wrong with a power progression, it's all about how you balance content delivery and power division.

If people really think a flat structure can entertain them more than when they played their first MMO - they're in for a shock. But that's just me.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Reskaillev
    Originally posted by DKLond

It really isn't a bunch of bullshit,

Half an hour with any game and I would be able to tell you if it is good in my opinion.

If the foundations supporting all this "greatness" are whack, then I won't bother with the game, simple as that..

Then why is everyone so annoyed when somebody only play the starter areas? They always say "Get off the starter area. Hearts aren't dynamic events. It's not so easy. It's gets harder beyond that, etc, etc".

It's because people feel insulted someone doesn't like their favourite new toy. I fully agree if the game doesn't catch my attention from the start then the developers failed if the game itself appealed to me.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

If people really think a flat structure can entertain them more than when they played their first MMO - they're in for a shock. But that's just me.

its very possible - depending on the person

using myself as an example, my first mmo was EQ in 1999  - stuck w that game for 5 years

i played other mmos when they launched, including Asherons Call, AO, DAOC, Lineage 2, WOW, EQ2

none of them grabbed me for more than 2 months -- until Guild Wars

yes, I know GW is not labeled as a mmo

but GW was a mmo to me and my favorite mmo experience since EQ

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by P4YB4CK

If all goes according to plan this game will make any gamer that is looking for a sandbox mmo instead of a themepark mmo wet their pants. There will be no comparison GW2 vs Repopulation unless the gamer still wants that high fantasy mmo setting without a monthly fee.

Weird. I love sandboxy-ness, but i have yet to see it in GW2 at all. More open ended than most themeparks? Sure, that's why i like DE's, but that's about it. I haven't "wet my pants" yet.

Originally posted by Nadia

its very possible - depending on the person

using myself as an example, my first mmo was EQ in 1999  - stuck w that game for 5 years

i played other mmos when they launched, including Asherons Call, AO, DAOC, Lineage 2, WOW, EQ2

none of them grabbed me for more than 2 months -- until Guild Wars

yes, I know GW is not labeled as a mmo

but GW was a mmo to me and my favorite mmo experience since EQ

Well, that's unusual - I'd say.

But if GW2 is what you want it to be, then I think that's great. I enjoy it when people are happy with what they do.

I just don't see the appeal, personally, but I'd never stand in the way of people having fun. But I've seen the hype-train squash too many people to just ignore my own impression.

• DrinkingbearDrinkingbear Member Posts: 60

I guess we won't see in-game then huh? Oh well more trees for me to cut down. Hooray)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Nothing really is special about GW2 its just the newest wow-clone themepark on the market [...]

It's so easy to spot people who never played GW2 it's not even funny anymore.

The same person stated in another post that GW2 was a story based MMO just like SW:TOR or TSW.

All I can do is /facepalm here...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by oupslililolo
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by tabindex

What's so amazing? Are you kidding me?  Everybody wins the grand prize!  Everybody is the hero!  Everybody gets to dps, heal, and have the best gear!  Everybody gets to play a character in which not only does reputation not matter, but it doesn't even exist!

Tell me what's not amazing about that!

:(

Getting your self-esteem boost by standing in a main city posing with the best of the best that drops in that tier's gear grind?

Is that more amazing?

:)

Yes cause i worked hard to get these and nothing was given to me for free

.... not to mention you paid for the privilege of all that work over all those months.

To my mind (and it has, I admit, been changed by GW2's approach) being proud of shelling out lots of cash to grind the same instances, having the same experience over and over and over and over to get the pixelbooty you enjoy showing off is a very unbalanced equation.

You WORK to get money.... you end up having to WORK to get the kit (due to the ungodly number of repetitions of the same experience involved once you hve mastered the boss encounters)  and then you feel proud.

For myself, I now don't look back on all that time I spent in WoW and AoC etc. in the same encounters 'ad nauseam' as something to be proud of - I feel like a mug who got fleeced by a games company using the addiction quirks in my brain to make me feel good about acheiving something of little consequence.

The game should be an enjoyable experience in depth - not only 'fun' when you get to brag about gear.

.... a pity many mainstream gamers (as I used to be) don't get it

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Nothing, just the hype. everything in the game was done before.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Funny thread. OP threw a bone without any meat on into the arena. He didn't even mention what he didn't find fun and what in his oppionion would be fun/better. What exactly do you want to discuss with him ? And he never returned to his own thread anyway.

Looks like a waste of time and effort.

• megera23megera23 Member UncommonPosts: 239

I've played both, and even though my first MMOs were games with vertical progression, I always gave up midway, because the content associated with it was simply a grind and I didn't have any fun doing it. At least with a horizontal progression I can skip whatever content I don't enjoy and focus on the one I do enjoy.

As for what makes GW2 amazing for me - it gives me back the freedom to roam wherever I want, and do whatever I want, whenever I want. That's the thing I personally missed from the earlier MMOs and the reason why I never enjoyed WoW or any of the MMOs following its model. The longest period I've played such a game is Rift, and there I hit the one month mark. The feature I liked most in Rift was the artefact collecting and the exploration of the zones which came with it. So GW2 is perfect for me in that regard.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by oupslililolo
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Originally posted by tabindex

What's so amazing? Are you kidding me?  Everybody wins the grand prize!  Everybody is the hero!  Everybody gets to dps, heal, and have the best gear!  Everybody gets to play a character in which not only does reputation not matter, but it doesn't even exist!

Tell me what's not amazing about that!

:(

Getting your self-esteem boost by standing in a main city posing with the best of the best that drops in that tier's gear grind?

Is that more amazing?

:)

Yes cause i worked hard to get these and nothing was given to me for free

.... not to mention you paid for the privilege of all that work over all those months.

To my mind (and it has, I admit, been changed by GW2's approach) being proud of shelling out lots of cash to grind the same instances, having the same experience over and over and over and over to get the pixelbooty you enjoy showing off is a very unbalanced equation.

You WORK to get money.... you end up having to WORK to get the kit (due to the ungodly number of repetitions of the same experience involved once you hve mastered the boss encounters)  and then you feel proud.

For myself, I now don't look back on all that time I spent in WoW and AoC etc. in the same encounters 'ad nauseam' as something to be proud of - I feel like a mug who got fleeced by a games company using the addiction quirks in my brain to make me feel good about acheiving something of little consequence.

The game should be an enjoyable experience in depth - not only 'fun' when you get to brag about gear.

.... a pity many mainstream gamers (as I used to be) don't get it

4 years in wow, feeling exactly the same.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Connmacart

It's because people feel insulted someone doesn't like their favourite new toy.

After so many game premiers, you'd think people get how this works.  You can actually tap your foot, waiting for the "haters" to arrive in large numbers, for any given existing collection of "fans".  Expect it to build in intensity steadily, until (significantly) after release.

In GW2's case, the hate buildup was long and slow (all spring, pretty much), and has yet to peak.  (Remember the fan buildup was already here, for a year or more).  If GW2 sells well, and puts on a legitimate-looking threat, fanboyB (waves of dedicated fans of some other game) will arrive to defend it.  If GameB is one of the big games, it will be big, vicious and very much on the nasty side.

Ding Ding.  The opening bell marks the start of the real fight.  First, creation of thousands of new mmorpg.com accounts (to troll with).  So many "concerned citizens" posting their faux "concerns".  So many "never played it but I hated it" complete fakes.  So many "complaining means I'm a patriotic gamer" trolls.  That's enough (mmorpg would not thank me for pointing out the dozen most common game premiere day trolls, I think).

Basically, it's a happy circus that doesn't resemble reality much, if at all.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

This is the same feeling I had when I first tried Budwiser and Budlight. I promise you, you and I don't like the same beer!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by tordurbar

"Here's 20 reasons that I personally like GW2. The game isn't perfect, but it hits all the right buttons for me, and I hope that you and others can find something you enjoy.

Combat

5. No dedicated Healer

4. Low player cap on dungeons ensures everyone MUST do their part to succeed

3. Professions able to adapt to change their role on the fly

2. Skill, not gear grind, is the major determinant of success of failure

1. Movement and position based combat"

LOL. All the points except 3 are the reasons why I will not stay with GW2. It is a fun game and I do intend on playing it a while but the above reasons are why it is not a keeper. 

That's cool. There are plenty of games out there that I believe have what you're looking for, including some traditional style MMOs. GW2 is just an alternative to the norm.

I hope that GW2 will offer something that will bring you back in the future.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Anthur

Funny thread. OP threw a bone without any meat on into the arena. He didn't even mention what he didn't find fun and what in his oppionion would be fun/better. What exactly do you want to discuss with him ? And he never returned to his own thread anyway.

Looks like a waste of time and effort.

The only reasons I sometimes post in such threads is to dispell some misinformation posted by some other poster, who most of the times obviously doesn't have played the game at all. Like e.g. "GW2 is just another story based WoW clone like SW:TOR or TSW", which is obviously total nonsense to anyone who has really tried the game. I just don't want any potential new player to be misinformed by such crap.

Everything else... shrug...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

You can't please all the people all the time. Not everyone is going to like all the same stuff.

I for one love GW2, and have had a blast in everyone beta weekend I've been able to get into. I cannot wait for this launch!

For me it feels fresh and fun, and that's what I personally care about. If others don't like it the same as me oh well. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.