Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Layoffs ;(

BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/17/swtor-executive-producer-leaves-bioware-new-layoffs-rumored/

Just found this on Massively.  I wonder if this is another round of layoffs or they are still "restructuring". ;(.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Holy...

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I won't smile until Erickson is gone.

I remember the moment I started hating him was in that video where he attempted to defend their "space system" and poke fun at SWG's.

What a worthless sack of crap, he is.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

No Game Ever fires this many top people and recovers soon

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I remember the moment I started hating him was in that video where he attempted to defend their "space system" and poke fun at SWG's.

and Ohlen, they just wouldn't listen to feedback in beta at all

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Erickson didnt really bother me but James Ohlen just comes off as an arrogant ass.  I know that is harsh but in all the interviews I have ever seen he quotes his "metrics" and how this or that makes it better ;P.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

this sucks. hundreds of millions of dollars. thinking about what could have been :(

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Instead of firing the workers who only did what they were told by the leadership, it is the leadership (Daniel Erickson) that should be fired. I will cheer for the firing of the leadership (who are ultimately responsible for SWTOR's debacle), but I can't cheer when everyday workers lose their jobs.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

..and its still not enough...

Anyone who so much as worked as a janitor for this game should be canned.And then barred from ever working on a video game again for life.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by joocheese

Instead of firing the workers who only did what they were told by the leadership, it is the leadership (Daniel Erickson) that should be fired. I will cheer for the firing of the leadership (who are ultimately responsible for SWTOR's debacle), but I can't cheer when everyday workers lose their jobs.

That's the sad part, the people that need to be fired are still employed and the people that just did their jobs and had no say in decisions are being let go.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by tkobo

Anyone who so much as worked as a janitor for this game should be canned.And then barred from ever working on a video game again for life.

C'mon dude, be serious, this is people's livelihood's you're talking about and what issues SWTOR has clearly comes from the decisions made at the top level.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Originally posted by Kyleran

C'mon dude, be serious, this is people's livelihood's you're talking about and what issues SWTOR has clearly comes from the decisions made at the top level.

Agree.  If you believe in accountability and responsibility, then the people who should be losing their jobs should be the leadership and management of this project.   This game massive failure was a direct result of poor decisions going all the way back to the drawing board when they decided the direction of the game.  Stunningly, Paul Barnett seems to slither away (again) from this mess and onto Ultima where he can lay waste to yet another revered IP.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Like most things in life it is always the little person that gets screwed.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Sad for the programers, art designers, etc that got laid off, but hard to feel sad for EA/Bioware. There Day1 LDC, and Big payouts to Advertising and game reviewers (IGN) instead of actually investing in the game itself is coming back to bite them.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

In these ugly times It'd be commendable to talk about other people's jobs with much more respect and human empathy.

EA and BW keep firing second and third lines to lay a smoke screen in cover of their top brass' massive mismanagement. Nothing new around since most of the bankers and financial "advisors" that plunged the world in this economic depression are still in charge and keep scoring disasters.

Greed and incompetence are a nasty cocktail....

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

This is sad and I have sympathy for everyone back out there on the job market but...it's really not surprising.  SWTOR underperformed and it seems like it is continuing to underperform, so EA is trying to cut their losses.  It also doesn't help that EA itself seems to be not doing well at all.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by desiriel

In these ugly times It'd be commendable to talk about other people's jobs with much more respect and human empathy.

EA and BW keep firing second and third lines to lay a smoke screen in cover of their top brass' massive mismanagement. Nothing new around since most of the bankers and financial "advisors" that plunged the world in this economic depression are still in charge and keep scoring disasters.

Greed and incompetence are a nasty cocktail....

I agree...

I think it's clear that SWTOR failed at the design level, not at the implementation level.  The game was basically doomed from the start when they hung their hat on "story" to keep people playing an MMORPG for years.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

And then people wonder why developers don't take more chances and innovate more.

"Hey Bob, I have a great fresh new idea we can do in our next MMO!!"

"Sorry Steve, I'm not going to be responsible for ruining the entire team's lives if the players don't like it. I'm sticking with what we know they like...WoW type stuff"

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Sucks to see hardworking people lose their jobs because of their management's inability to listen to their customer base.  It's a shame that companies with the history that Bioware and EA have, that they can't seem to make a great game even with a great IP.

My condolences to the laid off workers whether this is just a continuation of the "restructuring" or a whole new round of layoffs.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by Psychow

Any then people wonder why developers don't take more chances an innovate more.

"Sorry Steve, I'm not going to be responsible for ruining the entire team's lives if the players don't like it. I'm sticking with what we know they like...Wow type stuff"

From what I understand, that is exactly why SWTOR is in so much trouble.  They stuck with the Wow type stuff and didn't listen to their potential fanbase.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by evolver1972

"Sorry Steve, I'm not going to be responsible for ruining the entire team's lives if the players don't like it. I'm sticking with what we know they like...Wow type stuff" 

From what I understand, that is exactly why SWTOR is in so much trouble.  They stuck with the Wow type stuff and didn't listen to their potential fanbase.

Exactly.

And guess who got laid off....Steve!

Originally posted by evolver1972

Exactly.

And guess who got laid off....Steve!

That's the crappiest part about the whole thing.  I personally don't feel too bad when top brass gets canned for their own mistakes.  Typically with the amount of money they make in large companies (such as EA or even Bioware), they should easily be able to ride out being canned.  "Steve" usually can't but "Steve" is usually the one who suffers because "Bob" doesn't do his homework....or he thinks he's too damn smart to do his homework.

And execs of companies wonder why "the little guy" can hate them so much.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

And then people wonder why developers don't take more chances and innovate more.

"Sorry Steve, I'm not going to be responsible for ruining the entire team's lives if the players don't like it. I'm sticking with what we know they like...WoW type stuff"

I hate this chat, SWTOR's problem wasn't even that it was like WoW.

WoW has oodles of better features than SWTOR, at least in WoW you arent forced down a tunnel of a planet with invisible walls everywhere. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Well, on one hand I have no sympathy what-so-ever .. they dug their grave, and now there is no money to pay the bills.

But ... it was the idiots who made a SW game into a themepark WoW clone who should get the can.  Big Time.

But they probably won't because these are the "superiors" at EA, along with the people who made the roadmark decisions and quit their job (ah .. who was the idiot who pushed the Hero Engine and promoted reworking it without support? .. didn't this person resign after the damage was done?)

Well in any event, the upper people at EA supported BioWare idiots in charge of making bad decisions.  It's the lower people that have to suffer now.  For shame, EA, for shame.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by joocheese

That's the sad part, the people that need to be fired are still employed and the people that just did their jobs and had no say in decisions are being let go.

Welcome to Corporate America, home of the golden parachute,  This is pretty much how we roll in USA.

Rich people Rule !

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

EA cant afford to pay out the huge severence packages if they fired the top dogs in charge. So they dump the little guys.