Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I play SWTOR and why I will stay to end as I did SWG.

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Well sounds like you found the right game for you OP, and sticking with it, especially since you're a fan of the IP makes perfect sense.

See, the thing is, many of the gameplay mechanics you enjoy in the game are not something I'm personally looking for, so I moved on after a 3 month run.

Sure, I had some fun, but long term its just not what I'm looking for in a MMORPG (think more realistic,virtual worlds, much like SWG was prior to the NGE and you'll be on the right track.

BTW, you probably would have really enjoyed WOW, there's a lot of similarities between the two titles in terms of their general design, recommend you give it a shot if you haven't already.

there are many games with similarities to WOW, I thought SWTOR had much better story lines , better cut scenes, voice overs than wow, SWTOR is a story game , wow is a grinding game

LOL, yes, there most certainly are many games with similariities to WOW, in fact most of them since 2005 or so.

And yes, SWTOR has better story lines, that was their big "hook" if you will, and what they were betting the ranch on to carry the title.

Unfortunately, they failed to emulate much of what made WOW successful in the process, and don't kid yourself, SWTOR is as much of a grinding game as WOW ever was.

Besides, did you ever play Vanilla WOW, was a much different title back then from what it has eventually become.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

To me SWTOR is boring to its core. I had very little fun running my first charcter through and when faced with the prospect of runnign an alt it was a very easy decision to quit. The quests are mind numbingly boring. How anyone can play this for more then 2 weeks is beyond me.

I really don't belive you have played this game.

It has the best story line of any MMO I have ever played. Take the Opertive story line WOW the twists and turns that happen in are very good.

I played the top MMO's and only AOC is close with your personel story line.

Ajax

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by ajax7

It has the best story line of any MMO I have ever played. 

Thats not really an achievement since..well...MMO sucks in that respect. Its like saying "you are smartest among most stupid people"

OTOH if you want to compete with SP games...its still very, very bad, they watered it to the core under excuse of "MMO" and that "MMO crowd wont be able to deal with deep story, choices and consequences".

So yah, it still sucks.

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Wrender

They fixed the graphics? First I have heard of this...What did they do? Was gonna ask about the population but you kinda hit on that within your OP. Superservers? Please enlighten? Was actually enjoying the game but a friend bought me TERA for building him a new PC and been playing that ever since for some reason. Liked TERA so much I canceled SW-TOR subscription about 2 months into it Hit lvl 26 on my main(Assasin). Really loving TERA and never thought I would actually. Loving it so much I am not even looking forwards to TSW or GW2 anymore... Go figure...

Yes the Graphics now have been greatly improved in 1.3. They now have 5 settings to choose from now with one being if I can remember it "High Quality".

They took like 10 servers and moved them on to one large server to make a Super Server lots of people now.

We also have that nice group finder now.

Ajax

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

SWTOR is a good game imo. Played it as a filler before TSW and I can say that I liked my 2-3 months there, and Empire stories are quite fun (didn't like Republic's stories though).

• fgbrooksfgbrooks Member Posts: 9

Thank you OP and thank you Grimal.  First to the OP for  enumerating many of the reasons why I too am enjoying the game.  I just finished Chapter 2 of the Imperial Agent, and I was totally caught up in the story.  Very well done.  Second to Grimal for putting the whole mmo experience in perspective.  I tried WoW and just couldn't get into it.  And yet, when I tried EQ2 and  City of Heroes, I loved them.  

What it really comes down to are personal preferences.  Maybe its the graphics, or the story, or the game mechanics.  In the end, if one enjoys a game, so be it, enjoy it.  My dad used to tell me that "one person's pleasure is another person's poison".  No game will please everyone.

Finally, thinking back to EQ2 and CoH, these games have evolved so dramatically over the years.  SWTOR has been out just 7 months.  I expect this game to evolve as well.  Like the OP, I am going to continue to play the game, even while I look forward to the release of GW2.  I can't wait to see the comments on that game once it is released. 

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127

SWG

First  I'm a really big Star Wars fan and I played SWG for six of the eight years. I stopped playing right after the NGE hit and came back after they started fixing it.

My favorite SWG feature or addon was the Hoth operation for both sides I played that one many many times. I also had a real Jedi I unlocked with Bio Eng.  You had to be careful 3 deaths and your Jedi was poof I had 2 deaths before they changed it.

Crafting and Harvesting helped me amass 3.4 Billion credits so yea I had the best stuff I could buy it. It was my first MMO and I never thought I would play that for six years but I did. rest in peace SWG. 

*** Bought a City to run for a measley 100 million credits.

SWTOR

My son asked me to play SWTOR with him and convinced me to create avatars on a pvp server. I  was on Anchorhead now I'm on Prophecy of the Five . I never really like WoW pvp that much. So SWTOR pvp caught me by suprise how fun it was to play those war zones. I have become a big fan of it. World PvP well I do very well at it winning about 65% of my encounters I atribute this to fighting in warzones.

Positives about SWTOR:

1. I love the stories "HINT" don't start more than one at time you will enjoy it more.

2. There is plenty to do in this game. PVP, Class stories, Crafting, Flashpoints, Operations, World PvP, Quests with a story behind it.

3. Since they fixed the graphics they look awesome now so much better.

4. Making super servers was a great move by Bioware I lost about half of the names I created for my Avatars but I'm am happy with the new names I came up with. There are at least a 80 -100 people in each zone and some zones have two instances. I'm always able to group to do those planet H4's and H2's.

5. They have removed a lot of lag from the fleet.

6. They have made the Galatic Trade open to both sides now and there is always stuff to buy and I sell about 90% of the items I put up for sale now.

7. We now have Grouping tool for Flash Points and Operations which works real good.

8. New content is coming in 1.4 going to be good!!!

9. This Game is what 7 months old now I can see it only getting better and better as they add more content.

Lord Ricker Dark Lord of the Sith

If you are looking for a game like SWG try The Repopulation. Game has a ton of feature similar to SWG. There are a bunch of SWG refugees in that forum, you will feel at home, maybe even run into some old guildies. http://www.therepopulation.com, hope to see you there.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

To me SWTOR is boring to its core. I had very little fun running my first charcter through and when faced with the prospect of runnign an alt it was a very easy decision to quit. The quests are mind numbingly boring. How anyone can play this for more then 2 weeks is beyond me.

I really don't belive you have played this game.

It has the best story line of any MMO I have ever played. Take the Opertive story line WOW the twists and turns that happen in are very good.

I played the top MMO's and only AOC is close with your personel story line.

If you enjoy story line MMO's, then consider TSW sometime in the future, I think you would enjoy it.

Now me personally, I prefer MMO's where the players write the story, but those titles are few and far between these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

SWG

First  I'm a really big Star Wars fan and I played SWG for six of the eight years. I stopped playing right after the NGE hit and came back after they started fixing it.

My favorite SWG feature or addon was the Hoth operation for both sides I played that one many many times. I also had a real Jedi I unlocked with Bio Eng.  You had to be careful 3 deaths and your Jedi was poof I had 2 deaths before they changed it.

Crafting and Harvesting helped me amass 3.4 Billion credits so yea I had the best stuff I could buy it. It was my first MMO and I never thought I would play that for six years but I did. rest in peace SWG. 

*** Bought a City to run for a measley 100 million credits.

SWTOR

My son asked me to play SWTOR with him and convinced me to create avatars on a pvp server. I  was on Anchorhead now I'm on Prophecy of the Five . I never really like WoW pvp that much. So SWTOR pvp caught me by suprise how fun it was to play those war zones. I have become a big fan of it. World PvP well I do very well at it winning about 65% of my encounters I atribute this to fighting in warzones.

Positives about SWTOR:

1. I love the stories "HINT" don't start more than one at time you will enjoy it more.

2. There is plenty to do in this game. PVP, Class stories, Crafting, Flashpoints, Operations, World PvP, Quests with a story behind it.

3. Since they fixed the graphics they look awesome now so much better.

4. Making super servers was a great move by Bioware I lost about half of the names I created for my Avatars but I'm am happy with the new names I came up with. There are at least a 80 -100 people in each zone and some zones have two instances. I'm always able to group to do those planet H4's and H2's.

5. They have removed a lot of lag from the fleet.

6. They have made the Galatic Trade open to both sides now and there is always stuff to buy and I sell about 90% of the items I put up for sale now.

7. We now have Grouping tool for Flash Points and Operations which works real good.

8. New content is coming in 1.4 going to be good!!!

9. This Game is what 7 months old now I can see it only getting better and better as they add more content.

Lord Ricker Dark Lord of the Sith

SWTOR doesn't have "World PvP". So I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about?

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by mikahr

It has the best story line of any MMO I have ever played. 

Thats not really an achievement since..well...MMO sucks in that respect. Its like saying "you are smartest among most stupid people"

OTOH if you want to compete with SP games...its still very, very bad, they watered it to the core under excuse of "MMO" and that "MMO crowd wont be able to deal with deep story, choices and consequences".

So yah, it still sucks.

..but he is not comparing it to single player games he is comparing it to MMOs . Since even you agree most mmo stories suck he is saying SWTOR's storyline do not suck. I guess it IS like saying TOR is "smartest among most stupid people" because it is accomplishing what the other most MMOs can not (or did not ). It's not SWTOR's fault if the other MMO's are stupid since Bioware didnt make the other MMOs..they just out-shone them..at least in story.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Well sounds like you found the right game for you OP, and sticking with it, especially since you're a fan of the IP makes perfect sense.

See, the thing is, many of the gameplay mechanics you enjoy in the game are not something I'm personally looking for, so I moved on after a 3 month run.

Sure, I had some fun, but long term its just not what I'm looking for in a MMORPG (think more realistic,virtual worlds, much like SWG was prior to the NGE and you'll be on the right track.

BTW, you probably would have really enjoyed WOW, there's a lot of similarities between the two titles in terms of their general design, recommend you give it a shot if you haven't already.

there are many games with similarities to WOW, I thought SWTOR had much better story lines , better cut scenes, voice overs than wow, SWTOR is a story game , wow is a grinding game

LOL, yes, there most certainly are many games with similariities to WOW, in fact most of them since 2005 or so.

And yes, SWTOR has better story lines, that was their big "hook" if you will, and what they were betting the ranch on to carry the title.

Unfortunately, they failed to emulate much of what made WOW successful in the process, and don't kid yourself, SWTOR is as much of a grinding game as WOW ever was.

Besides, did you ever play Vanilla WOW, was a much different title back then from what it has eventually become.

Yes I agree with much of what you say, I found Vanilla wow to be a better game than present wow, it was more challenging and not as bloated with useless game play.  The problem with SWTOR is they did not take into consideration the "hardcore" player of which I am not. Hardcore players zoomed through the game inexplicably not getting into the story (hey its a bio ware game, what did you expect) got to the end, engaged in PvP a little and then became bored.  Swtor is a great game for casual and Alt players, and story lovers. Today however your typical mmo player is ADD inflicted and has no patience for story, that is why WOW is a perfect game for them, Wow has a decent if not great story , but you can go to top, level in a heartbeat, then grind and raid (i have always hated big groups, with the exception of City of heroes) to your hearts content-UGH!