Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An 8.75 really?

124»

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

It shows money was handed over for favourable reviews just lke TOR  then used as part of the marketing hype to get more people to buy the box or digi download before the game hype dies a death for this dull game and money invested to make it is clawed back off fools who are easily parted with their money by false hype media.

What are you talking about?

This is about user reviews on this site. You honestly think Funcom has bribed all those who have reviewed the game on this site?

This game has a metacritic critic average score of 71.

[mod edit]

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Now I don't get how people rate thier games, I guess they could give everything except gameplay a 10 for this game, and give gameplay a 0, but oh well.  I've noticed there's a sharp drop off in all the other MMOs as well.  Did everyone just give this game a 10 except gameplay, then went and changed thier other ratings on past ratings.  I don't see how you can give an MMO a 8.75 with such a boring combat system.  Combat is one of the primary things you do in an MMO.  Now, I can see giving graphics a 9 or 10, sound a 10, etc. but with combat the way it is (and the animations /puke) there's no way this is an 8.75.   And stop dropping other game's ratings for this one.  Just because you're not playing another game doesn't mean it got any worse...

Well combat might be boring for you and you migth not like the animations...

For me the combat is just as good if not better than any other tab targeted game out there and the animations are fine... and for a themepark mmorpg somthing i usually get bored of really fast the rest of the game is pretty bloody good as well..

For me i think i would be rating it an 8 - 8.5 and for me thats a very high rating for a themepark game.. sure its not perfect, it has a few minor bugs but i have not really been affected by them plus bugs are to be expected in any MMORPG launch and i have yet to be a part of an mmorpg launch without bugs..

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Originally posted by aesperus

The irony of this statement, is if you take an objective look at TSW, it's more like SWTOR than not. That, and people have already raged out of this game. Not the majority, but the majority of people didn't rage out of SWTOR either.

I cannot imagine an MMO that everyone is satisfied with. There are plenty complaining even about difficulty of TSW and wanting it WoW easy which is plain silly. Of course there are thouse who don't like TSW, also there will be those who'll start bashing GW2 in 2 months.

What comes to SWTOR then I've played both SWTOR and TSW and while I quite enjoyed my 2-3 months in SWTOR unlike many others because I was never hyped about it at first place I think that SWTOR is way inferior to TSW in story/atmosphere, quests and combat too. I actually read and enjoy almost every quest in TSW for the first time in over 10 years playing MMOs. Before that I just clicked "accept" and killed those 10 boars, rats or whatever, saving Middle Earth, Telara or whatever once more. Questing has been total meh until now for me.

Not arguing that TSW isn't an upgrade in certain aspects. However, both games have a lot of 'kill X' and 'collect X' quests. The majority of quests in TSW are not investigation missions, even though I do enjoy most of those missions a lot. Both games have what should be a painfully obvious emphasis on single-player gameplay, though I'd argue that TSW takes that almost to an extreme, whereas SWTOR had a lot of scattered quests that required grouping.

The story is definitely more enjoyable in TSW, that's for sure. When it comes to combat, SWTOR has higher quality animations & fluidity. The battlegrounds in SWTOR are generally better (as much as i dislike them), even though I like the 3 faction aspect of TSW, the battlegrounds are almost unplayable atm. Even fusang is starting to become a joke, not quite as bad as Illum, but still full of problems.

The funny thing is that SWTOR, despite people love to hate on it, does have some well made features. It also has a lot of glaring flaws. The most peculiar thing, though, is that many of the flaws SWTOR has been criticised for also apply to TSW. However, for some reason, that's being ignored right now.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Value 8.75? Really? The score highlights what is wrong with the scoring system rather than how good the game is. From the comments on the thread several people have obviously stuffed the vote as they are enjoying he game. The number of votes (under 400) are hardly a large sample, the haters clearly haven't bothered with this one so grats FC (I guess).

haters have ripped this game apart just as much as they do with other games.. its what they do..

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Originally posted by Gorilla
    Value 8.75? Really? The score highlights what is wrong with the scoring system rather than how good the game is. From the comments on the thread several people have obviously stuffed the vote as they are enjoying he game. The number of votes (under 400) are hardly a large sample, the haters clearly haven't bothered with this one so grats FC (I guess).

haters have ripped this game apart just as much as they do with other games.. its what they do..

My hunch is not so (well not in the scores at least). If they had the score would not be so high! I wish there was a way of discarding outliers, all the ones and the tens, actually I'm not sure that would help, the scoring system is still pretty much a waste of time. I'm not sure that hate is equal, of course there're those that hate on everything. However the hate for SWTOR clearly seems higher than the hate for rift for example.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

The quality of TSW has nothing to do with it.  The telling part is that all the games underneath it went from 8.35 before TSW came out down to the current level of 7.4 and down mysteriously when TSW came out.  It's manipulation plain and simple.

As a side note you can compare it to GW2 all you want, just make sure to also compare the amount of time TSW is on top as GW2 has been up there for a long time.  Call me crazy but in about five weeks I be it will change.

Edit: Oops, 7.7 and down.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Piiritus

The irony of this statement, is if you take an objective look at TSW, it's more like SWTOR than not. That, and people have already raged out of this game. Not the majority, but the majority of people didn't rage out of SWTOR either.

I cannot imagine an MMO that everyone is satisfied with. There are plenty complaining even about difficulty of TSW and wanting it WoW easy which is plain silly. Of course there are thouse who don't like TSW, also there will be those who'll start bashing GW2 in 2 months.

What comes to SWTOR then I've played both SWTOR and TSW and while I quite enjoyed my 2-3 months in SWTOR unlike many others because I was never hyped about it at first place I think that SWTOR is way inferior to TSW in story/atmosphere, quests and combat too. I actually read and enjoy almost every quest in TSW for the first time in over 10 years playing MMOs. Before that I just clicked "accept" and killed those 10 boars, rats or whatever, saving Middle Earth, Telara or whatever once more. Questing has been total meh until now for me.

Not arguing that TSW isn't an upgrade in certain aspects. However, both games have a lot of 'kill X' and 'collect X' quests. The majority of quests in TSW are not investigation missions, even though I do enjoy most of those missions a lot. Both games have what should be a painfully obvious emphasis on single-player gameplay, though I'd argue that TSW takes that almost to an extreme, whereas SWTOR had a lot of scattered quests that required grouping.

The story is definitely more enjoyable in TSW, that's for sure. When it comes to combat, SWTOR has higher quality animations & fluidity. The battlegrounds in SWTOR are generally better (as much as i dislike them), even though I like the 3 faction aspect of TSW, the battlegrounds are almost unplayable atm. Even fusang is starting to become a joke, not quite as bad as Illum, but still full of problems.

The funny thing is that SWTOR, despite people love to hate on it, does have some well made features. It also has a lot of glaring flaws. The most peculiar thing, though, is that many of the flaws SWTOR has been criticised for also apply to TSW. However, for some reason, that's being ignored right now.

Well I personally have a very simplistic measuring system - either I like a game or not. As I said I liked SWTOR while it lasted for me and no way I hate it. I just like TSW times more. I agree that TSW needs tweaking and hopefully FC has plenty of steam left to develop this game for a long time. They have created a good foundation to build upon, I just hope that they won't cave in and make TSW easier like some seem to demand (actually I cannot understand how this game can be too hard). I cannot compare PvP much because this has always been a very minor side game for me and I suck in PvP real bad image

All in all I think that TSW is a good and solid game with it's own flaws like every game and deserves a good rating players has given it.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I'm not a fan of the hype rating system.  I just look at the game, see if it interests me enough to buy it to try it.  I bought TSW and I really like it so far.  The combat system is interesting with the synergy of the different skills.  I like that one build does not fit all situations.  I can be a tank, dps or healer as I need to be.  Best of all worlds to me.  Bugs are kind of annoying but the game is barely a month old so I can live with them.  Enjoying my time in TSW and looking forward to many more months to come.

I've pre-purchased GW2 and will be messing with that in my non-tsw gaming time so I'm a happy camper for the forseeable future.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

People are always a bit generous with the score of a new game, even reviewers.

TSW no more or less than others. 

On the other hand are almost all reviews rather silly, if a score is between 1 and 10 one would assume that a standard game would get between 5 and 6 in score and as many games would get a 1-2 as 9-10. Average tends to be at least a 7 in almost all reviews.

I usually subract 5 from the score and make it 1-5 instead, that often is spot on. Here it would mean 3,75 out of 5 and that sounds fair enough to me. Of course some people here have accused me of being a cynic and they might be right. :)