Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anybody tried this?

frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Gearing up in Q0 or Q1 talismans and weapons and redoing first zone when you are an experienced char. Do quest remain Very easy(my guess) or do they scale back to the gear you are currently using? This could be important for long term replayability.

Comments

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I believe the quests are rated based on your total skill points assigned, and doesn't take into consideration *where* those points are, or if you are even using them.  So if you go back to the start and equip crappy weapons and use only basic skills, then you'll find all of the quests are rated as very easy, but you might actually have a hard time with them.

That being said, it's pretty easy to max out the inner rings of new skills since you get more AP later, so even if your gear is crappy for a short while, you'll have a broader skill selection that a strictly new character will.

You make me like charity

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by freston
    Gearing up in Q0 or Q1 talismans and weapons and redoing first zone when you are an experienced char. Do quest remain Very easy(my guess) or do they scale back to the gear you are currently using? This could be important for long term replayability.

Find last zones hard in lvl 10 blues

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Nitth

I get that, but youll limit yourself to one or 2 zones max. If there was a way you could redo all zones without incurring in exp loss (even if loot was subpar) it would be a good thing, as i suspect the main carrot for long term replayability will be finishing the wheel and completing decks. 

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

I did Kingsmouth and a part of Savage Coast this way because i switched from fist/AR to blade/blood. You cant repeat the green missions, but all quests and side quests. The mobs are the same strenght and since you do low damage and your item stats are low the mobs are strong again.  Thats also because the horizontal progression is rather flat.

It only get much easier because you probably add passive skills from other circles you earned earlier and then do more damage for example. However, replayability is there and XP is comming in fast.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

If you gear back to ql 0/1 your damage, HP and mitigation will go back to the levels it was back at the start.  only advantages will be the larger pool of abilities to choose from and the effect of the skill points on the weapons.

But yes, you won't be "overpowered" for KM if you do it at ql 3, tops, gear.  Some people does this to group with friends that are ne to the game when they don't want to simply spoil their fun by making the experience a faceroll.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I believe the quests are rated based on your total skill points assigned, and doesn't take into consideration *where* those points are, or if you are even using them.  So if you go back to the start and equip crappy weapons and use only basic skills, then you'll find all of the quests are rated as very easy, but you might actually have a hard time with them.

That being said, it's pretty easy to max out the inner rings of new skills since you get more AP later, so even if your gear is crappy for a short while, you'll have a broader skill selection that a strictly new character will.

A mob difficulty and EXP gain is based off of Talisman and Weapon QL that you have equiped.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by asmkm22

A mob difficulty and EXP gain is based off of Talisman and Weapon QL that you have equiped.

Well SP plays a decent role as well.

When you had 1-2 SP in a weapon and your talismans those mobs hit much harder and took more glancing shots.

Going back with QL1 gear and using weapons that have 10 SP and talismans that are maxed, youll find those mobs much easier than the first time around.

If you were to start a new weapon however, they would at least take more glancing shots and go down slower, even then your getting a decent passive defense and health bonus from 10 SP in your talismans and you cant get rid of it..

XP gain is constant and flat, not based off QL gear.  If you go back and redo a kingsmouth quest where you got 2 AP for completing youll get the same AP as a QL 10 pro...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I get that, but youll limit yourself to one or 2 zones max. If there was a way you could redo all zones without incurring in exp loss (even if loot was subpar) it would be a good thing, as i suspect the main carrot for long term replayability will be finishing the wheel and completing decks. 

I recently started playing TSW for the first time, and do you know that I've replayed Kingsmouth quests so many times (and crossed the 500K barrier) that my handler phoned me and told me to quite screwing around with this low level stuff and the game actually penalized me 10K experience.  (made me laugh)

I've busy fleshing out 2 different specs, Hammers/Shotguns for DPS and Hammers/Chaos for tanking and trying to get the gear to do both effectively. (and for some reason I have single GL2 item that I can't seem to get a GL3 item drop, so I'm going to save up the coins to buy it instead.)

I actually have a fairly large pool of unspent Skill and Ability points because I'm not quite certain where I want to go past my present set up.

My plan is to run Polaris a few times as both DPS and a tank just to get a better feel for my character in each set up.

So I guess you could say I'm already making sure I have long term playbility, since I'm not rushing anywhere in terms of moving forward. 

Because when you think about it, once you get to the end of a theme park title like this, where is there really left to go?

Yes, I know, over to GW2.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I recently started playing TSW for the first time, and do you know that I've replayed Kingsmouth quests so many times (and crossed the 500K barrier) that my handler phoned me and told me to quite screwing around with this low level stuff and the game actually penalized me 10K experience.  (made me laugh)

I've busy fleshing out 2 different specs, Hammers/Shotguns for DPS and Hammers/Chaos for tanking and trying to get the gear to do both effectively. (and for some reason I have single GL2 item that I can't seem to get a GL3 item drop, so I'm going to save up the coins to buy it instead.)

I actually have a fairly large pool of unspent Skill and Ability points because I'm not quite certain where I want to go past my present set up.

My plan is to run Polaris a few times as both DPS and a tank just to get a better feel for my character in each set up.

So I guess you could say I'm already making sure I have long term playbility, since I'm not rushing anywhere in terms of moving forward. 

Because when you think about it, once you get to the end of a theme park title like this, where is there really left to go?

Hilarious that the handler phones you aware that your bullshitting around low end stuff for too long...had no idea that would happen.

If this is how your playing the game...you got about 8 months of content ahead ignoring farming dungeons for gear (or fun) and pvp.

Endgame is the same old, yeah you wont be clearing hours of trash mobs in dungeons and each dungeon is solidly fun especially inferno (savage coast after kingsmouth) i liked that one a lot.

I think the best aspect of this game is that there is really no communal effort to race to the end, i know lots have done this but i never feel rushed in a dungeon or in a group and not feeling the fire lit under me by my cabal which seems overly serious with the whole cabal thing offering gift cards to random members and taking donations for god knows what...im sure they sell coffemugs and t-shirts with the logo...one of those guilds i guess...

The dirty little secret with GW2 is that there isnt an endgame or a reason to play come max level other than just for sheer joy...so the people playing had better REALLY love playing that game or its going to have some serious issues in a few weeks after launch.  TSW is in a much better position in terms of long term content, by a long shot.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Originally posted by BigRock411

The dirty little secret with GW2 is that there isnt an endgame or a reason to play come max level other than just for sheer joy...so the people playing had better REALLY love playing that game or its going to have some serious issues in a few weeks after launch.  TSW is in a much better position in terms of long term content, by a long shot.

X2

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by BigRock411
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Hilarious that the handler phones you aware that your bullshitting around low end stuff for too long...had no idea that would happen.

If this is how your playing the game...you got about 8 months of content ahead ignoring farming dungeons for gear (or fun) and pvp.

Endgame is the same old, yeah you wont be clearing hours of trash mobs in dungeons and each dungeon is solidly fun especially inferno (savage coast after kingsmouth) i liked that one a lot.

I think the best aspect of this game is that there is really no communal effort to race to the end, i know lots have done this but i never feel rushed in a dungeon or in a group and not feeling the fire lit under me by my cabal which seems overly serious with the whole cabal thing offering gift cards to random members and taking donations for god knows what...im sure they sell coffemugs and t-shirts with the logo...one of those guilds i guess...

Here is also another dirty little secret, end game content does not equate to raiding only as many loathe the grind mechanic and doing the same scripted fight for the 100th time is not really endgame content.  GW2 endgame content is by far the PvP aspect (which trumps any MMO out there hands down) which will fullfill many for a very very long time, the game has always been a PvP focused game.  There are plenty of other options but not in the form of raid grinding.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

First batch of new missions incomming :D

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/the_secret_world_issue_1_july_2012_unleashed

And Funcom announced that this will happen frequently.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

There are still a lot of tough areas in some earlier zones (and no I don't mean the lairs).  For example, I was rare hunting last night and went into the filthy swamp near the Franklin Mansion and while I did get the rare I was after, I got absolutely destroyed soon after by a mud golem that came up behind me and did a chain knockdown leave me dead soon after.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

did that once in beta, not while being q10 tho, completed the first two areas and at the last weekend a friend of mine joined me.

bought myself a bloodfocus and started to heal, with a slight tendency towards guns (my old "main" specc, for the moments when it got too close).

got exp on a decent rate, at least for blood magic, pistols needed higher ammounts of "exp", since i was on a higher tier going towards 50 points for the ulti

challange was okai, guess if i didnt had my pistols as backup we might have died a few times, or maybe only one of us :P

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I've gone back a zone or two a couple times for a some quick XP to get a few AP to cap off one of the 34 or 50AP skills.

Now that I am finishing up the Carpathians though (maybe 4 -5 quests to do to have them all completed) I really don't want to go back.

The new stuff will include  a handful of missions (this is a good thing) but overall it will be a few hours of gameplay.

Now there are are some folks who say 'Damn, it's your fault for doing things too fast...' but the reality is that it's been almost a month since headstart. (I do agree that folks that screamed through in a few days or a week were doing it wrong.) With nothing but repeating quests to finish off decks..meh I am less than whelmed. (I really find PvP in the game off putting so there is no love there.)

I like the game, bought the Lifetime and don't regret it. I am sure over time I'll go back for a few days or a week but as some others feel, there just isn't enough to keep me playing regularly.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 pvp does not "trump any mmo out there"

It's better than recent mmos yes

It's not as good as eve.

It's not as good as old games like daoc and planetside
  • ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

I've never understood the concept of 'repeating zones' or any of the do XX over and over elements of TSW...for a game where the main attraction is supposed to be the story/atmosphere for me I can think of little that is more story-breaking than the whole go back and do it all over thing to grind more xp...

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    <contents moved to another post>