Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, just too short

Comments

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by surrealbx
    Originally posted by godpuppet
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Fair one, I actually did my math wrong, I played for 18 days, when the early access started. Thats 7.4 hours a day. If I divide 134 by 30, thats 4.4 hours a day. by 60 you've got 2.2 hours. Which to be honest, would be the minimum amount of time.

i have alot of players on my friends list, people I group with and meet i find friendly, not so much power gamers. Most of them are on atleast 3-4 hours a day. So whatever your "source" says i dont agree with it. Same can be said for most MMO's.

So conclusion? Most players will run out of content by the end of the month. Theslower players in 2 months.

Also, 2 months of game time? Sounds great to me.

Oh man, this is a great example of a) people's ability to ignore game flaws

and b) the way modern "MMOs" have conditioned people to expect to jump ship on a game after only a few months. While older MMOs were designed to keep people entertained for years. It's no wonder that themeparks all day after about 3-4 months then limp along in obscurity.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Garvon3

and b) the way modern "MMOs" have conditioned people to expect to jump ship on a game after only a few months. While older MMOs were designed to keep people entertained for years. It's no wonder that themeparks all day after about 3-4 months then limp along in obscurity.

Quoted for Truth.

EQ used to last up to 6 months, DAoC, AO the same & EVE, lasts years. WoW a good 6 months. This is the trend that makes MMO's good. Not $50 wham bam one month later  your done now move on. :l

---

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Fair one, I actually did my math wrong, I played for 18 days, when the early access started. Thats 7.4 hours a day. If I divide 134 by 30, thats 4.4 hours a day. by 60 you've got 2.2 hours. Which to be honest, would be the minimum amount of time.

i have alot of players on my friends list, people I group with and meet i find friendly, not so much power gamers. Most of them are on atleast 3-4 hours a day. So whatever your "source" says i dont agree with it. Same can be said for most MMO's.

So conclusion? Most players will run out of content by the end of the month. Theslower players in 2 months.

Just because there is a single player main storyline doesnt make it a signle player co-op.  

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

a) What am i ignoring?

b) I agree that mmos should be built for longevity and community building. However, the later is all up to the players. And regardign longevity, well, monthly content updates and ever evolving storyline and world good enough?

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

As I recall, the devs said there was approximately 200 hours of gameplay content at launch. So, if you skip the cutscenes and use spoilers to solve missions, it's definitely possible to consume most all the content in under 150 hours.

To the OP: AR/Fist/Blood dps and heals ftw :)

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Hodo

I have to agree with others, your hardcore play style caused you to burn through the game.   And dont tell me you dont have time to play games in the Army, hell I was in the US Army for sometime, and I had PLENTY of time, even when downrange, granted I didnt have internet all the time, but I had time to play games.  

The problem is your one of those "New" generation gamers who believe everything should be handed to you on a silver platter and play through everything just to be first or fastest to the end.   Its not your fault its your generation of gamers.  

I am not in TSW, while I have watched a few hours of gameplay over at my neighbors house, and it looks good, but it is not my kind of game.    Its a shame that more players cant take their time with games, instead of rushing through them just to say, first.  Or go achievment hunting so it looks good on their E-peni-file. 

Lol congratulations Ranger for having such good base facilities. unfortunately the facilities on British Army Barracks dont ussually have internet. Unless you have a good room which I dont, so in all honesty, no I dont get the opportunity when im on base. Which is besides the point as I never said I didnt have time to play.

Lol, Ive been playing Games & MMO's for almost 10 years now. I started out on Baldurs Gate, C&C orig and Everquest. So much for your new gamer theory. Or are you saying becuase I didnt start out on Meridian 5 I dont meet the "glorified" gamer class. Get a grip.

How many times do I have to say this, I did take my time, I watched 90% of the cutscenes, did all the quests which arent bugged. All the dungeons that dont have 16 hour timers. And I PVP'd in all the areas. I just play alot. I in no way rushed. I played the content and ive reached a point at the end, which all players will, where there is nothing worth doing. So thats my fault? We'll see in a months time when all the players are saying the same thing and are leaving.

If your gonna resort to attacks atleast read the threads and get your fact straight.

Wow 10 years!  Thats a long time in gaming.... hell 10 years ago I was fresh back from Afghanistan, BEFORE we had running water and shower facitlities, and the local people liked us, mostly.   Back when I played WWIIOL when it was newish, and EQ Online was the bull in the china store.   And I had been gaming for 10 years at that point.   Now 20 years after I started gaming online, I see thousands of these newer gen-gimmie kids running around making hundreds of thousands of posts about how short or bad or like WoW a game is.   

Sure TSW isnt a MASSIVE game with billions of hours of content, but what do you expect out of a game that is primarly a story driven game.   I didnt buy TSW because its at best an offline game that has been turned into a MMO.   

So much crap, so little quality.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No...it is an example of people being more versed in how games are going to play out or the value they have.

I knew SWTOR was going to be short term. It was. Still enjoyed my time there and got my money's worth.

I plan on TSW being short term but if it is longer than wonderful. Either way I get my money's worth.

I plan on GW2 being long term. Remains to be seen but regardless if I enjoy my time there then worth it.

Long as you enjoy your experience and have fun that is what counts. I have enjoyed my time in some of these short term venues you determine as being flawed and seem to loathe so much more than I ever did EQ. Only thing I really miss from those days is the community and the sense of wonder since when that game first came out I was new to the genre outside MUDs.

The only time it is a bust or makes one question why someone is spending their money is when they obviously aren't enjoying their experience or are subbed simply because as they say "there's nothing else to do or out there".

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

a) What am i ignoring?

b) I agree that mmos should be built for longevity and community building. However, the later is all up to the players. And regardign longevity, well, monthly content updates and ever evolving storyline and world good enough?

So basically your saying, that any MMO that releases, you shouldnt play at your own pace, but at the pace the MMO creates content. Lol by that standard, you'd have had to spend 3 months playing AoC 1 hour a day before you finish it. Good logic there.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Secret-World-Gets-Content-July-31-44592.html

Heres a link telling us about the coming content.

Missions in Savage Coast & Egypt. A few more NM Dungeons and an AH.

I really dont see that captivating me for another month. :l

---

Originally posted by BigRock411

Just because there is a single player main storyline doesnt make it a signle player co-op.  

No, the fact that the singleplayer main story is the main part of the game, and almost all of the content falls into it, and the fact that the entire world is instanced, makes it a singleplayer coop game.

b) I agree that mmos should be built for longevity and community building. However, the later is all up to the players.

No, not entirely. Not even primarily. Game mechanics have to be designed to facilitate socializing and community. SWTOR does not do these things. It's hard to build a community when everyone is in their own instance.

I have to agree with others, your hardcore play style caused you to burn through the game.   And dont tell me you dont have time to play games in the Army, hell I was in the US Army for sometime, and I had PLENTY of time, even when downrange, granted I didnt have internet all the time, but I had time to play games.  

The problem is your one of those "New" generation gamers who believe everything should be handed to you on a silver platter and play through everything just to be first or fastest to the end.   Its not your fault its your generation of gamers.  

I am not in TSW, while I have watched a few hours of gameplay over at my neighbors house, and it looks good, but it is not my kind of game.    Its a shame that more players cant take their time with games, instead of rushing through them just to say, first.  Or go achievment hunting so it looks good on their E-peni-file. 

Lol congratulations Ranger for having such good base facilities. unfortunately the facilities on British Army Barracks dont ussually have internet. Unless you have a good room which I dont, so in all honesty, no I dont get the opportunity when im on base. Which is besides the point as I never said I didnt have time to play.

Lol, Ive been playing Games & MMO's for almost 10 years now. I started out on Baldurs Gate, C&C orig and Everquest. So much for your new gamer theory. Or are you saying becuase I didnt start out on Meridian 5 I dont meet the "glorified" gamer class. Get a grip.

How many times do I have to say this, I did take my time, I watched 90% of the cutscenes, did all the quests which arent bugged. All the dungeons that dont have 16 hour timers. And I PVP'd in all the areas. I just play alot. I in no way rushed. I played the content and ive reached a point at the end, which all players will, where there is nothing worth doing. So thats my fault? We'll see in a months time when all the players are saying the same thing and are leaving.

If your gonna resort to attacks atleast read the threads and get your fact straight.

Wow 10 years!  Thats a long time in gaming.... hell 10 years ago I was fresh back from Afghanistan, BEFORE we had running water and shower facitlities, and the local people liked us, mostly.   Back when I played WWIIOL when it was newish, and EQ Online was the bull in the china store.   And I had been gaming for 10 years at that point.   Now 20 years after I started gaming online, I see thousands of these newer gen-gimmie kids running around making hundreds of thousands of posts about how short or bad or like WoW a game is.   

Sure TSW isnt a MASSIVE game with billions of hours of content, but what do you expect out of a game that is primarly a story driven game.   I didnt buy TSW because its at best an offline game that has been turned into a MMO.   

Quality mate, you want to try going back there now when the people dont like us and greet us with IED's, RPG's and shrapnel.  Its a real holiday destination. Anyway enough of "my experiences are better then yours".

I expect something to do at the end. I love the game, I just wanted something to do. It wouldnt take much for them to square it either TBH.

---

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Yeah i can agree with that.  Also 10 years ago the people who had nothing better to do than game 18 hours a day 7 days a week at least had grind to deal with...i mean it certainly wasnt expected to have a billion hours of game play AND allow you to hit endgame in a month.

I think its just the jaded gamers on this site, starting to see why my roomates cant stand the discussions here.  Every game sucks apparently, except unreleased over hyped games which will end up sucking right after launch.

Why do so many people play mmorpgs if they have such a huge problem with them?  Not like there are no other types of games out there.

Go play darkfall or minecraft if you want a game with no single player missions and no content to run out of...Hell theres tons of free korean games that wont allow you to run out of content if you consider farming mobs for an eternity content.

No, the fact that the singleplayer main story is the main part of the game, and almost all of the content falls into it, and the fact that the entire world is instanced, makes it a singleplayer coop game.

Yes, the main storyline which is 10% of the quests. Also, instanced? Where are you getting that?

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

It's just hard for people to fathom that you went through all the content already. Nothing wrong with that as it's your money and your choice of how you want to play.  I just can't play a game for longer than 2-4 hours at a time regardless of how much free time I have. Hopefully Funcom can keep the content coming so that you find something else to do with your character in the future., 

By the way..thank you for your service. :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Yes, the main storyline which is 10% of the quests. Also, instanced? Where are you getting that?

Are...are you serious?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Because its entirely storyline quest based and almost entirely instanced/designed to be done solo or with 1 or 2 other people... Outside of doing quests there's little to no content.

I'm a little shocked that there are so many people who are blaming the OP for what is clearly a game design flaw. But then again, I guess every game has its fanboys.

Its not entirly instanced... what made you think that... now and then a quest will take you into an instance but not every quest. Most of the time your out in the world with other players around you trying to do the same quests..

Not really blamnig the OP he obviously has lots of time to put into games when hes not serving.. but saying that he has put a lot of time into this game and got a shit load of hours of enjoyment out of it... so to me it does seem to have qutie a bit of content to play through over 100 hours or around about that so its gonna take me quite a bit of time..... If you have this much time to put into any themepark MMORPG your gonna run out of content.. hell people maxed out characters in wow within the first month..

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

you guys blow through this stuff way to fast.. i been playing since CB and even still I'm just only about to hit blue mountain

Same here. I guess if I didn't have a life beyond playing a game 24/7 I'd consider ANY game too short. Seriously, people should stop racing through content and then complain a game is too short. Take the time to experience the game world, especially in a game like TSW - explore and find the hidden investigation missions; look for lore nodes; watch the cutscenes for the story mode missions; interact with the other players. Experience the game, don't just race to the finish line so you can be the first to complain about there not being enough to do.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I thought the zones were all instanced. Like, there was a Kingsmouth 1 - 9 or something when I was playing.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I played DAoC at launch too, you couldnt get to level 50 in 18 days. It took me months! And even then, the persistent world RVR had substantial game changing content which felt worthwhile (esp when your guild took castles/forts/whatever for itself). TSW PVP is like some guy explained earlier, Watching fish go around a goldfish bowl, a zergathon, and thats all there is to do besides raiding a world boss when all your mates are online, and waiting 16 hours to do a nightmare.

There was an archer on my server (Guinevere, Albion) named Risk--Can't believe I still remember his name lol--who did it in just about that. Keep claiming/upgrading by guilds wasn't in the game for several months after launch and my not-through-rose-colored-glasses recollection is that most of the RvR happened in Emain Macha at the wall--not in keeps. Keep taking and Relic raids were relatively rare events compared to the 24/7 zerg vs. zerg.

DAoC was also pretty basic compared to todays MMOs. It offered RvR, a handful of quests and mind numbing grinding of walking trees from level 45-50. Classes had three trees with abilities that were mostly upgrades with slightly more damage, longer roots and stuns etc.

And speaking of CC, they didn't call one of the factions "Stungard" for nothing. Huge duration of CC, no limit to the number of players AOE CC could affect, lack of appropriate diminishing returns... and three unique and thouroughly unbalanced sides. The game was nothing but a constant cycle of nerfs and buffs for as long as I played.

By today's standards DAoC was a bloody mess...and yet we loved it and played it on average 10 times longer than we play new MMOs. But we were different then and racing to the end then posting about it in forums to both bitch and brag wasn't the e-sport it is today.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Are...are you serious?

Great response there.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by colddog04

I thought the zones were all instanced. Like, there was a Kingsmouth 1 - 9 or something when I was playing.

nope you need to read up on the way they ahve the servers setup..

Basically the server you select at start up is what you might think of as an instance.. not technically the same thing but you get what i mean.. anyone on any server can then group up with anyone on any of the servers and you will go to the group leaders server.... so in reality they are multiple servers but you can move between each server to group up... other than that some missions wil take you into your own seperate instance say when you enter a certain building for the quest or somthing but those are the only real instances in the game..

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Caldrin

nope you need to read up on the way they ahve the servers setup..

Basically the server you select at start up is what you might think of as an instance.. not technically the same thing but you get what i mean.. anyone on any server can then group up with anyone on any of the servers and you will go to the group leaders server.... so in reality they are multiple servers but you can move between each server to group up... other than that some missions wil take you into your own seperate instance say when you enter a certain building for the quest or somthing but those are the only real instances in the game..

Oh, ok. It is very similar to instancing though. Instead of zone instances, it's entire server instances. Which is to say it is similar to a typical shard setup, except you can travel between them easily. Here is an article for anyone else that is interested:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

It is. And on top of that each zone has a small cap on how many people can be in it before it splits into a new instance, just like AoC. Its layers upon layers of instances.

Originally posted by Iselin

I played DAoC at launch too, you couldnt get to level 50 in 18 days. It took me months! And even then, the persistent world RVR had substantial game changing content which felt worthwhile (esp when your guild took castles/forts/whatever for itself). TSW PVP is like some guy explained earlier, Watching fish go around a goldfish bowl, a zergathon, and thats all there is to do besides raiding a world boss when all your mates are online, and waiting 16 hours to do a nightmare.

There was an archer on my server (Guinevere, Albion) named Risk--Can't believe I still remember his name lol--who did it in just about that. Keep claiming/upgrading by guilds wasn't in the game for several months after launch and my not-through-rose-colored-glasses recollection is that most of the RvR happened in Emain Macha at the wall Only in the early days--not in keeps. Keep taking and Relic raids were relatively rare events compared to the 24/7 zerg vs. zerg.

DAoC was also pretty basic compared to todays MMOs absolutely false. It offered RvR a massive, dynamic, and deep system all unto its own, a handful of quests that's a good thing, because the quests it had were quality, not filler garbage and mind numbing grinding of walking trees from level 45-50. If that's what you chose to do, sure. Or you could have done crafting, done any of the massive and fairly complicated raids, kill tasks, bounties, or just explored.  Classes had three trees classes did not have trees, full stop. with abilities that were mostly upgrades with slightly more damage, longer roots and stuns etc There were new styles about every 3-4 levels, and the points you put into each skill drastically changed what kind of character you played as. There's a reason there were entire websites devoted to creating different builds, because it was a deep system, and they could be further augmented by the crafting system.

And speaking of CC, they didn't call one of the factions "Stungard" for nothing. Huge duration of CC, no limit to the number of players AOE CC could affect, lack of appropriate diminishing returns wrong, after you were CCd, each subsequent one lasted a shorter time and you had a better chance of resisting... and three unique and thouroughly unbalanced sides No game has good PvP balance, as a rule. That's why they get constantly patched. The game was nothing but a constant cycle of nerfs and buffs for as long as I played.

By today's standards DAoC was a bloody mess...it was actually one of the only MMOs that perfectly balanced the PvE, PvP, and crafting playstyles and made them all viable, without instancing. and yet we loved it and played it on average 10 times longer than we play new MMOs. But we were different then and racing to the end then posting about it in forums to both bitch and brag wasn't the e-sport it is today.

I fixed a things things. Though I will say it sounds like you played only a few months at launch and never experienced any of the expansion content. (which is bad, and good).

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Great response there.

I though so as well. He avoided insulting your intelligence and still made you look stupid.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It is. And on top of that each zone has a small cap on how many people can be in it before it splits into a new instance, just like AoC. Its layers upon layers of instances.

Originally posted by Iselin

There was an archer on my server (Guinevere, Albion) named Risk--Can't believe I still remember his name lol--who did it in just about that. Keep claiming/upgrading by guilds wasn't in the game for several months after launch and my not-through-rose-colored-glasses recollection is that most of the RvR happened in Emain Macha at the wall Only in the early days--not in keeps. Keep taking and Relic raids were relatively rare events compared to the 24/7 zerg vs. zerg.

DAoC was also pretty basic compared to todays MMOs absolutely false. It offered RvR a massive, dynamic, and deep system all unto its own, a handful of quests that's a good thing, because the quests it had were quality, not filler garbage and mind numbing grinding of walking trees from level 45-50. If that's what you chose to do, sure. Or you could have done crafting, done any of the massive and fairly complicated raids, kill tasks, bounties, or just explored.  Classes had three trees classes did not have trees, full stop. with abilities that were mostly upgrades with slightly more damage, longer roots and stuns etc There were new styles about every 3-4 levels, and the points you put into each skill drastically changed what kind of character you played as. There's a reason there were entire websites devoted to creating different builds, because it was a deep system, and they could be further augmented by the crafting system.

And speaking of CC, they didn't call one of the factions "Stungard" for nothing. Huge duration of CC, no limit to the number of players AOE CC could affect, lack of appropriate diminishing returns wrong, after you were CCd, each subsequent one lasted a shorter time and you had a better chance of resisting... and three unique and thouroughly unbalanced sides No game has good PvP balance, as a rule. That's why they get constantly patched. The game was nothing but a constant cycle of nerfs and buffs for as long as I played.

By today's standards DAoC was a bloody mess...it was actually one of the only MMOs that perfectly balanced the PvE, PvP, and crafting playstyles and made them all viable, without instancing. and yet we loved it and played it on average 10 times longer than we play new MMOs. But we were different then and racing to the end then posting about it in forums to both bitch and brag wasn't the e-sport it is today.

I fixed a things things. Though I will say it sounds like you played only a few months at launch and never experienced any of the expansion content. (which is bad, and good).

I played for 18 months... my Air Theurgist could stun-lock you until you were dead. My friend's Ice Theurgist could root 50+ people (if they were zerging in a tight group like they usually were) for about 70 seconds... it sounds like you are misremembering... Keep and Relic raids were rare. Open zerging was the norm...anything else you say about that is just a rosy lie.

Besides, TSW has been out what? Not quite 3 weeks? lol. Yeah let's compare it as it is now to DAoC after Atlantis image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED