Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, just too short

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

I'm actually surprised it took as long as it did for this topic to appear. I mean you only see this every time when a new game launches. Least the OP enjoyed his time. Can honestly say for anyone with that much time on their hands they're gonna get bored with any new mmo fairly quickly.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

I find it hard to believe someone has completed all the content the game has to offer without resorting to walkthroughs.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I had a similar complaint about SW:TOR.

I am not a power gamer.  I usually put in about 10-15 hours a week.  SWTOR has a lot of content but they let you blow through it too fast. You should not level out of the content before you do it all.

My ideal speed would be that you HAVE to do extra special quests or a healthy amount of PVP/crafting/exploration in order to keep up with the content. That would stretch out the time a little and give people more of a sense of achievement.

But honestly, if an MMO expects to have any kind of longevity people should not be able to do all the content in a month.

When i think back to my favorite games, they are the ones that lasted the longest. EQ1 was great because you could do the grind and just kill stuff and feel like you accomplished something every night you played. OR you could go do quests and REALLY feel like you accomplished something. But either way, you were in it for a long time. 

I just went back to EQ1 lasst year to do a progression server. I played for 5 months and just barely got through the Velious content (3rd expansion) And this is with me knowing how to do everything already. I spent some time exploring and fighting in places i never saw when i played the first time and it was great. Even today.

Game developers need to get back to thinking of a game for longevity, not "what can we do to help people level faster" . 

Especially when there is no real endgame content. 

Originally posted by Zinzan

I find it hard to believe someone has completed all the content the game has to offer without resorting to walkthroughs.

I can believe it. Dude is on leave. So (and no offense meant) if he were to simply mainly be playing the game and not going out really doing much of anything else I can seee how he could have.

I prefer going out and tearing things up especially if I don't have to worry about work but to each their own.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

The game doesn't have to be a sandbox to have that longevity.

This discussion is glossing over, or outright missing one very key detail: There are people out there who play MMOs to "beat them". To get to end-game as fast as they can. That's their goal. That's their "fun". That's why they are playing the game to begin with. "To get to the end". They will find the most efficient, fastest and easiest ways to get through everything (including using walk-through and strat guides to "eliminate any time wasted on guess work").

Many of these people have a lot of free time on their hands that they can dedicate to this endeavor. That's not a knock against them. Hell, I wish I had more free time, I have a lot of projects I'd love to spend more time working on, even outside of MMOs.

Those people are sometimes referred to as content locusts.

There are people like that in every MMO and no MMO could ever provide enough to keep them entertained for the long haul, because they're not in it for the long haul.

Some people play MMOs to experience them.

Some play MMOs to "conquer" them.

The former can play a MMO for years, never see everything, and have a blast.

The latter will typically play a MMO for maybe a few months, burn through everything, get bored, (perhaps complain on forums about "not enough content"), and move on to some other MMO to do the same thing. They're the quintessential MMO-hoppers.

Both types of players (and all in-between) are playing exactly the same game, have exactly the same content to get through and have exactly the same requirements to get through it. It all boils down to personal playstyles and goals, and there's a huge chasm of difference there.

An old friend of mine and I used to both play FFXI. I'm very much the "experience the game" type. He was very much the "conquer the game" type. We'd have conversations about what we did in game. He'd go on about how he followed such-and-such guide to get this "perfect build" that gave him maximum efficiency in fighting certain mobs or in completing some mission, etc. Every minute he was logged in was dedicated to "progress progress progress!". I would respond with some stories of my own, of some random (mis)adventure I went off on, of some funny situation that arose during an xp party that ended in an epic wipe, etc. As I'm telling my friend this, I could see his expression was something of like... pity mixed with frustration.

When he responded, he'd say something like "Well, I don't know. Not a very efficient or productive use of your time. I would have left that party and found one that was better optimized and more efficient. You could have probably gotten at least another level and a half in that time instead." That's the way he saw what I was doing. An epic wipe that had me almost in tears at how hilarious it was, was a terrible waste of time to him.

It wasn't about having fun to him. It was about "being productive and efficient at all times". I get that same vibe from many others in MMOs I play now. They judge and value everything on "how efficiently it's getting them through the game". They value their playtime based on "how many levels did I get", or "did I get any good loot". It's never about the experience of playing to these people. It's always about "was the payoff worth it".

Just as it must perplex that type of player to see people who, like myself, are perfectly fine with taking a long time to reach level cap (we're often mis-labeled as "masochists").. It really confuses me how others can find enjoyment in something they treat like a second job.

But then, I guess that's why we have sayings like "to each their own".

I've known people like this too.. I had a friend who would rent his games, beat them and then turn them back in just a day or two later.  I'm very much the "experience everything " type of gamer and I'm surprised of how many people I see playing MMOs that are like my friend. They also tend to be the most disatisfied group of all since there is no way a developer could ever make enough content to satisfy them so they hop from game to game. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• surrealbxsurrealbx Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by godpuppet
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

you guys blow through this stuff way to fast.. i been playing since CB and even still I'm just only about to hit blue mountain

Actually the OP is about right. During all phases of beta, working 40hrs a week, I was able to complete all the content prior to the wipe for open beta in a week. The game IS simply that short.

You seem to be going at a snails pace, or taking everything in, than everyone else. Not a bad thing mind you, but claiming others are going through stuff way too quickly isn't correct at all.

if you guys are expecting the content to last while playing 8 hours a day everyday you have unrealistic expectations from a themepark MMO.

oh also most themeparks are released with no raids and raids were added in time...

True, but then food for thought. Most people play what, 4 hours a day.  By my pace, which id say is pretty normal, just alot of time spent. Thats 2 months. Ive checked the upcoming update announcements. There isnt going to be anything massive to provide greater endgame content in the next patch.

So while im saying it now, in a month, month and a half, people are going to be saying the same thing.

If its taken Funcom 3-4 years to get to this point. I really dont see any massive changes coming in the next 30 days.

Source? I don't have facts myself either, but i believe most people play 1-2 hours a day.

Seriously OP, you played 8 hours everyday and expect the game tio las how long? Ok, it lasted 2 weeks. How much more do you honestly expect. 2, maybe 3 extra weeks. Still only leads to 1 month of play time. You yourself said you didn't watch every cutscens, didn't even try to figure out puzzles, etc, etc.

Honeslt, you can't the blame the game at all for that. Myself, if i powerlevel, i can complelte any game in less than 1 month too.

Fair one, I actually did my math wrong, I played for 18 days, when the early access started. Thats 7.4 hours a day. If I divide 134 by 30, thats 4.4 hours a day. by 60 you've got 2.2 hours. Which to be honest, would be the minimum amount of time.

i have alot of players on my friends list, people I group with and meet i find friendly, not so much power gamers. Most of them are on atleast 3-4 hours a day. So whatever your "source" says i dont agree with it. Same can be said for most MMO's.

So conclusion? Most players will run out of content by the end of the month. Theslower players in 2 months.

Originally posted by tom_gore

Probably true mate. I worked out my played in hours, which is 134, averages about 7 hours a day. lol yea probably pretty hardcore. But still that would have taken me two months at 4 hours a day. Ive read the coming content, there isnt a huge amount coming end of this month.

Ok so you spent 50 bucks on a game that you played for ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FOUR hours?

And you're saying the game is TOO SHORT?

*rolls eyes*

True but this is an MMO, not your standard single player game. MMO's tend to last longer.

Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by nilden

I love it when a valid point is presented like the game being too short and the advice some people give to counter it is don't play it so much. Honestly who wouldn't play more if they had more free time? I can't picture anyone going "Have five hours today but I'll only play for an hour. Wouldn't want to beat the game too fast." Who buys a game to not play it?

Because the amount of free time makes all the difference? MMO companies don't design content keeping in mind players who can spend 10 hours a day in front of the PC. That is unrealistic and no MMO company can spit out content that fast.

I hate to spin off titles. But I can comfortably say. The following MMO's had enough content at launch to keep my occupied for months: EQ, DAoC, EQ2, AC2, EVE, WoW, Rift,

I dont expect an MMO to spin off content quickly, just create some sustainability. I have no reason to login atm.

Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by godpuppetIve been playing since 18th of june early access, so thats what 30 days? I dont regret it, loved it. Only thing is, Ive played alot and ive smashed all the content. Im not one for sitting back and watching every single cutscene, sorry it bores me. Im not one for spending an hour working out a quest, sorry, 30 mins and ill google it. I play for fun, i dont find the alternative fun. Lest to say ive had alot of time off and ive wanted to play it as much as I can.

and exactly that is what happens when you do not think for yourself. searching for quests and their solutions on the web is NOT what TSW is meant to be played like.

you can rush every game, and you will fail each time again.

maybe concider to play a game propperly next time, without looking everything up. TSW is no game for high end item grinding like WoW or d3, TSW is another story, and you went ahead and read the last page first as it seems.

your decision, i still have 1.5 huuuuuuge areas ahead of me :)

sure, you can run through a museum and say "yea i've seen it all"

Like I said, I didnt watch every cutscene, but 90% of them I did. I think there was only about 5 missions I had to google for hints for. HINTs, not the answers.

Woops wrong account, sorry. this is Godpuppet. used my standard login instead of my forum one. >.<

Ill leave it at that, a large proportion seem to disagree with what im saying. Just play for yourself and see where you are in a month and a half. You'll see exactly what im talking about.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

If you disagree/agree, crack on, just thought I'd share my experience in the gaming having done pretty much everything. Cheers!

Well, wt least it willsave you $15 for a sub... go play something else for a while and come back next time you are on leave to see if there is other content to play through. Unfortunately for you, this MMO is at an immature stage of develoment so there is enough to keep the average player busy for a while but anyone with a lot of free time will fly through it pretty quickly until funcom add more to the game, which is normally over the next few months.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by surrealbx

I love it when a valid point is presented like the game being too short and the advice some people give to counter it is don't play it so much. Honestly who wouldn't play more if they had more free time? I can't picture anyone going "Have five hours today but I'll only play for an hour. Wouldn't want to beat the game too fast." Who buys a game to not play it?

Because the amount of free time makes all the difference? MMO companies don't design content keeping in mind players who can spend 10 hours a day in front of the PC. That is unrealistic and no MMO company can spit out content that fast.

I hate to spin off titles. But I can comfortably say. The following MMO's had enough content at launch to keep my occupied for months: EQ, DAoC, EQ2, AC2, EVE, WoW, Rift,

WOW and EQ2 launched in the same month so if you were playing both at the same time then of course it took you longer. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Originally posted by ktanner3

WOW and EQ2 launched in the same month so if you were playing both at the same time then of course it took you longer. 

TBH I was playing WoW CB, then took a break for EQ2 when it retailed, then came back to WoW.

---

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

To the intial MMOers glance, TSW really appears to be yet another generic MMO copy, but when you take a closer look and give it a bit of time, you find a real Diamond.

This game offers storyline immersion that goes back to games of the older generation.

See this is the main problem with the game, it's essentially a singleplayer game. In a real MMORPG it's almost impossible to run out of things to do, because it's designed around the players, not an instanced linear storyline.

Now, you like the quality of the storyline and art... imagine how good it would have been if it was a singleplayer game and what you did could ACTUALLY impact the world? And if the combat was better because it didn't have to be an MMO?

The problem with these singleplayer/coop "MMOs" is that players run out of content and devs can't keep up, and there's no social element to keep people going, and that they can never do singleplayer better than an actual singleplayer game could.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I have to agree with others, your hardcore play style caused you to burn through the game.   And dont tell me you dont have time to play games in the Army, hell I was in the US Army for sometime, and I had PLENTY of time, even when downrange, granted I didnt have internet all the time, but I had time to play games.  

The problem is your one of those "New" generation gamers who believe everything should be handed to you on a silver platter and play through everything just to be first or fastest to the end.   Its not your fault its your generation of gamers.  

I am not in TSW, while I have watched a few hours of gameplay over at my neighbors house, and it looks good, but it is not my kind of game.    Its a shame that more players cant take their time with games, instead of rushing through them just to say, first.  Or go achievment hunting so it looks good on their E-peni-file. 

So much crap, so little quality.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Garvon3

To the intial MMOers glance, TSW really appears to be yet another generic MMO copy, but when you take a closer look and give it a bit of time, you find a real Diamond.

This game offers storyline immersion that goes back to games of the older generation.

See this is the main problem with the game, it's essentially a singleplayer game. In a real MMORPG it's almost impossible to run out of things to do, because it's designed around the players, not an instanced linear storyline.

Now, you like the quality of the storyline and art... imagine how good it would have been if it was a singleplayer game and what you did could ACTUALLY impact the world? And if the combat was better because it didn't have to be an MMO?

The problem with these singleplayer/coop "MMOs" is that players run out of content and devs can't keep up, and there's no social element to keep people going, and that they can never do singleplayer better than an actual singleplayer game could.

Its actually nothing like a single player game in any way.

Where do you get this from?

Woops wrong account, sorry. this is Godpuppet. used my standard login instead of my forum one. >.<

Ill leave it at that, a large proportion seem to disagree with what im saying. Just play for yourself and see where you are in a month and a half. You'll see exactly what im talking about.

I've seen many posters say they are only expecting a couple months from this game so not sure who you're talking to. Anyways, for most it will boil down to what updates contain. Not everyone is going to burn through content at your pace. You aren't the norm. Hell no one here really is but you're certainly way more time intensive with this hobby than I am.

Originally posted by Hodo

I have to agree with others, your hardcore play style caused you to burn through the game.   And dont tell me you dont have time to play games in the Army, hell I was in the US Army for sometime, and I had PLENTY of time, even when downrange, granted I didnt have internet all the time, but I had time to play games.  

The problem is your one of those "New" generation gamers who believe everything should be handed to you on a silver platter and play through everything just to be first or fastest to the end.   Its not your fault its your generation of gamers.  

I am not in TSW, while I have watched a few hours of gameplay over at my neighbors house, and it looks good, but it is not my kind of game.    Its a shame that more players cant take their time with games, instead of rushing through them just to say, first.  Or go achievment hunting so it looks good on their E-peni-file. 

Lol congratulations Ranger for having such good base facilities. unfortunately the facilities on British Army Barracks dont ussually have internet. Unless you have a good room which I dont, so in all honesty, no I dont get the opportunity when im on base. Which is besides the point as I never said I didnt have time to play.

Lol, Ive been playing Games & MMO's for almost 10 years now. I started out on Baldurs Gate, C&C orig and Everquest. So much for your new gamer theory. Or are you saying becuase I didnt start out on Meridian 5 I dont meet the "glorified" gamer class. Get a grip.

How many times do I have to say this, I did take my time, I watched 90% of the cutscenes, did all the quests which arent bugged. All the dungeons that dont have 16 hour timers. And I PVP'd in all the areas. I just play alot. I in no way rushed. I played the content and ive reached a point at the end, which all players will, where there is nothing worth doing. So thats my fault? We'll see in a months time when all the players are saying the same thing and are leaving.

If your gonna resort to attacks atleast read the threads and get your fact straight.

---

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by BigRock411

Because its entirely storyline quest based and almost entirely instanced/designed to be done solo or with 1 or 2 other people... Outside of doing quests there's little to no content.

I'm a little shocked that there are so many people who are blaming the OP for what is clearly a game design flaw. But then again, I guess every game has its fanboys.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Only it is. The entire main storyline is solo with solo-instances.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

well they are doing monthly content additions.  nightmare is their version of endgame right now, but in august they are supposed to be putting in a raid.  new content should be coming fast, at about the rate most people get to it so im not worried about that right now.  i am currently doing elites to get flagged for nightmare so cant attest to the buggines of bosses but today they fixed the issue of being locked out of a nightmare dungeon if you disconnect.  just give it a month or two and all those bugs will be gone im sure. 

im in this game for a while because i truly love the setting, the bugs will get fixed and the game will be better when that happens.  july 31st is next major update which is gonna include some new zones and new quests. 

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Fair one, I actually did my math wrong, I played for 18 days, when the early access started. Thats 7.4 hours a day. If I divide 134 by 30, thats 4.4 hours a day. by 60 you've got 2.2 hours. Which to be honest, would be the minimum amount of time.

i have alot of players on my friends list, people I group with and meet i find friendly, not so much power gamers. Most of them are on atleast 3-4 hours a day. So whatever your "source" says i dont agree with it. Same can be said for most MMO's.

So conclusion? Most players will run out of content by the end of the month. Theslower players in 2 months.

Your friends don't count for the majority, which again, i have no idea what time they play. Tons of people only play 1-2 hours  day. Many 3-4. Many alot more. And of course, it depends on the amount of free time.

Also, 2 months of game time? Sounds great to me. Like i pointed out in a previous post, most single players don't even have half that. Batmean Arkham City as 50 hours for 60$ compared to 150 hours of TSW for 65$.

ANother thing, you say in another post that Rift kept you longer. See, it's not just longevity and time. Maybe Rift ahd more at alunch, but i find Rift boring and generic in many way (still like the game and love Trion). TSW could ahve over 300 hours of content easily. How? Put a million generic quests all ove rthe place. But that's not proper contnet to me.

The journey of TSW may be smaller than SWTOR or Rift or other mmorpgs, but IMO, the quality of it is so far superior that it is far more worth the money. 1 million hours of crappy content is a good solution.

So, i have a game that provides longer entertainement than other video games and other sources, lie movies, and is better overall, IMHO, than other mmos. Looks perfect. Another example would be Planetside 2. Even if that game had a suba nd box, i could see it being worth it easily.

Originally posted by hardicon

well they are doing monthly content additions.  nightmare is their version of endgame right now, but in august they are supposed to be putting in a raid.  new content should be coming fast, at about the rate most people get to it so im not worried about that right now.  i am currently doing elites to get flagged for nightmare so cant attest to the buggines of bosses but today they fixed the issue of being locked out of a nightmare dungeon if you disconnect.  just give it a month or two and all those bugs will be gone im sure. 

im in this game for a while because i truly love the setting, the bugs will get fixed and the game will be better when that happens.  july 31st is next major update which is gonna include some new zones and new quests. 

Agreed mate, i reall hope they do add the content. Like I say its a quality game. The Elite Bosses seem to be all good, But Ive done 3 different Nightmare dungeons so far and could only get half way through becuase they were so bugged. IE Tanks taunts dont work after first wipe. Boss gets stronger after first wipe. There are now two bosses after first wipe. Interupt abilities dont work on bosses that have one hit kill abilities. It kinda slaps you in the face when you spend hours trying only to find your instance is bugged and you cant even restart becuase theres a 16 hour lockout.

---

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

Because its entirely storyline quest based and almost entirely instanced/designed to be done solo or with 1 or 2 other people... Outside of doing quests there's little to no content.

I'm a little shocked that there are so many people who are blaming the OP for what is clearly a game design flaw. But then again, I guess every game has its fanboys.

You mean like, every other mmorpg themepark?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Hodo

Lol congratulations Ranger for having such good base facilities. unfortunately the facilities on British Army Barracks dont ussually have internet. Unless you have a good room which I dont, so in all honesty, no I dont get the opportunity when im on base. Which is besides the point as I never said I didnt have time to play.

Lol, Ive been playing Games & MMO's for almost 10 years now. I started out on Baldurs Gate, C&C orig and Everquest. So much for your new gamer theory. Or are you saying becuase I didnt start out on Meridian 5 I dont meet the "glorified" gamer class. Get a grip.

How many times do I have to say this, I did take my time, I watched 90% of the cutscenes, did all the quests which arent bugged. All the dungeons that dont have 16 hour timers. And I PVP'd in all the areas. I just play alot. I in no way rushed. I played the content and ive reached a point at the end, which all players will, where there is nothing worth doing. So thats my fault? We'll see in a months time when all the players are saying the same thing and are leaving.

If your gonna resort to attacks atleast read the threads and get your fact straight.

Blame the players not the game. Too hardcore, played too much, new generation, bla bla bla...

You know what maybe the game actually is too short. Maybe the story driven, single player design dooesn't work for longevity in an MMORPG.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/