Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good game, just too short

Comments

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Kilmar

I agree with the op. After 4 days /played, I finished the last elite dungeon, watched every video, did every quest once, figured out every investigation quest by myself, explored every zone to find all side quests. The game is great, really great, but poor in content quantity.

nice troll try

Not trolling, meet you in Argatha ;)

You finished a game with about 150 hours in 4 days? Dude, don't buy single players. Really don't.

Seriosusly, people keep meantioning Skyrim and Minecraft but don't get those games are snadboxes, and sandpark. You don't "finish" them in the normal sense, so it's easy to dump hundreds of hours. Now compare to, what, 89% of other video games today.

Most games rely on multyplayer modes. it's like a pvp. It's the same maps, but over an over. Their "story" modes are less than 20 hours long, like FSP'ers and Racing games.

Batman Akram City had 40-50 hours, for a 60$ game. Most singlr players only last about 30 hours for the main content, then may have that much or abit more like, 45 hours of extras or others storylines. That's still less than 100 hours.

Most games have half or less content than mmorpgs do.

TSW costs 50$, so it's almost 2 free months for 65$. And considering you get more than twice the content out of it for the same price, if that's not value for money, i don't know what is. Unless you don't like the game, of course, which is personall preference.

Really, i don't need to use the movie comparision. Take renting movies. For 2 hours of fun, it costs 2.5$. To match the same amount of time as TSW and other mmos, it takes more than 150$

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Thane

and the champions online engine, eg for exmaple star trek online too have a quite nice system for creating player content afaik

being a sandbox system does not neccesarily mean you can create content :P

Actually now that you mention that Champions Online and DCUO are the only two games I can think of with less zones than TSW at launch.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

delete post pls

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

I love it when a valid point is presented like the game being too short and the advice some people give to counter it is don't play it so much. Honestly who wouldn't play more if they had more free time? I can't picture anyone going "Have five hours today but I'll only play for an hour. Wouldn't want to beat the game too fast." Who buys a game to not play it?

Because the amount of free time makes all the difference? MMO companies don't design content keeping in mind players who can spend 10 hours a day in front of the PC. That is unrealistic and no MMO company can spit out content that fast.

I think you missed my point and your only half-right.

I highlighted my point from my previous post in red.

Regarding being half right there are tons of games people could play 10 hours a day and not exhaust the content. If your talking about story driven, one time use content, does that really even belong in an MMORPG that wants any sort of player retention rate? How about player driven games that go on forever that you can't beat. Games where there is always something to do when you log on because it's designed to be a virtual world not a single player story driven MMO.

Played lots of MMO at launch and i have seen similar topics for all these MMOS. We are talking about newly launched MMOS not established MMOS which add tons of content over the years.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I agree with the op. After 4 days /played, I finished the last elite dungeon, watched every video, did every quest once, figured out every investigation quest by myself, explored every zone to find all side quests. The game is great, really great, but poor in content quantity.

nice troll try

You finished a game...

Being able to finish or beat an MMORPG is just failing at game design 101. These games are shooting themselves in the foot and kissing goodbye to customer retention by not making MMo's that are virtual worlds you can never beat.

nice troll try

You finished a game...

Being able to finish or beat an MMORPG is just failing at game design 101. These games are shooting themselves in the foot and kissing goodbye to customer retention by not making MMo's that are virtual worlds you can never beat.

unless a game as player created/driven content, you "beat it" sooner of later. Only socializing remains. TSW enver claimed to a sandbox.

nice troll try

there is no way you solved everything by yourself in 4 days, sorry ^^

normal search and find routine takes more time already.

ps: maybe take the time to read map names at least next time *G* it's called agartha  (okai, this was trolling, sorry hehe)

I read your previous post, 2 days to find the cultists' outpost. Took me 10 min, because suspicious citizens walk there. Its not the players fault, when he's smart. There are no guides for the most quests yet, so nice try ;)

Actually there are guides up for almost every mission now. So you might be very smart or just reading online guides to get through content as fast as possible i know this for fact because i know many guildies of mine did this.

I repeat guides are up for every mission which requires to solve puzzles all the way up to Translvania zone.

nice troll try

there is no way you solved everything by yourself in 4 days, sorry ^^

normal search and find routine takes more time already.

ps: maybe take the time to read map names at least next time *G* it's called agartha  (okai, this was trolling, sorry hehe)

I read your previous post, 2 days to find the cultists' outpost. Took me 10 min, because suspicious citizens walk there. Its not the players fault, when he's smart. There are no guides for the most quests yet, so nice try ;)

Actually there are guides up for almost every mission now. So you might be very smart or just reading onlien guides to get through content as fast as possible i know this for fact because i know many guildies of mine did this.

I repeat guides are up for every mission which requires to solve puzzles all the way up to Translvania zone.

obvious troll is obvious, dont bother with that one over there. whoever claims to finish TSW in 4 days and then states there are no guides is a plain joke.

ask him how long it took him to translate the morse code, bet he will answer "One minute!"

No doubt takes even less with help of a guide. lol

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

my whole point :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Actually there are guides up for almost every mission now. So you might be very smart or just reading online guides to get through content as fast as possible i know this for fact because i know many guildies of mine did this.

Oh geeze tell me about it. There are guides freaking everywhere now.

You open the in-game browser to google someone's name or a certain phrase or whatever, and you have to actually sift through all the links to spoilers for that mission before you can even find the one you're actually looking for.

I have a feeling there's a lot of people googling the spoilers and doing it that way. I also have a hunch many of them are the ones you see saying the content is too easy, or there's not enough to do. It falls right in line with the typical MMO gamer mentality of the last several years.

You see statements like these quite a lot: "Quests aren't hard because you just use a walkthrough guide". "Raids aren't hard because you use a strategy guide and add-ons". "Character builds aren't hard because you follow a template".

And one of my personal favorite examples of logical contortionism: "I don't know what the main storyline or any of the quest story arcs are because I don't bother to read them. I don't read them because they suck".

It seems to follow quite naturally that people would say "none of the puzzles or missions in TSW are challenging because you just google them with the in-game browser".

Someone in a thread I read recently actually thinks that's what FC means when they say they want people to use google. By their logic, they tell you to google the answers to the puzzles and then give you an in-game browser, so obviously they want it to be easy for people to access the walk-through guides without having to minimize the game.

People tried to explain that's not what the intention was, that there are fake websites created for a number of things and t hey'r supposed to google and find those. Or that if you google a certain phrase (like stuff from certain investigation missions) that it actually leads to information that serves as a clue to solve it.

They were told to "stop trolling", that if FC didn't want people looking up walk-through guides, they wouldn't have given players a browser to use. 

A great example of the classic conceit many players have, "this is the way I'm doing it, so it must be the way the designers intended, and I'm doing it the right way".

obvious troll is obvious, dont bother with that one over there. whoever claims to finish TSW in 4 days and then states there are no guides is a plain joke.

ask him how long it took him to translate the morse code, bet he will answer "One minute!"

Honeslty, if people use guides, they can't complain about longevity. Not talking about Kilmar in any way, but seriosly, if you cheat on something, obviously it will take alot less time. It's like being invincible during a dungeon run and 1 shooting everything. Doing all modes of a dungeon would take hours. That way it takes less than 1. Of course the game's shorter then.

It differs from player to player (duh) but if someone took, let's say for example, 2 hours to finish any Inv quets, that's atleast 20 hours of content. Looking up spoilers after not being able to find the answer in 5 minutes cuts time up by 4x. And people then complain about lack of content? Really?

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Oh geeze tell me about it. There are guides freaking everywhere now.

You open the in-game browser to google someone's name or a certain phrase or whatever, and you have to actually sift through all the links to spoilers for that mission before you can even find the one you're actually looking for.

I have a feeling there's a lot of people googling the spoilers and doing it that way. Someone in a thread I read recently actually thinks that's what FC means when they say they want people to use google. By their logic, they tell you to google the answers to the puzzles and then give you an in-game browser, so obviously they want it to be easy for people to access the walk-through guides without having to minimize the game.

People tried to explain that's not what the intention was, that there are fake websites created for a number of things and t hey'r supposed to google and find those. Or that if you google a certain phrase (like stuff from the Kingsmouth Code to cite an early one) that it actually leads to information that serves as a clue to solve it.

They were told to "stop trolling", that if FC didn't want people looking up walk-through guides, they wouldn't have given players a browser to use. 

A great example of the classic conceit many players have, "this is the way I'm doing it, so it must be the way the designers intended, and I'm doing it the right way".

and that's why i seriously doubt he finihsed everything by himself, when he is that smart, he should have known there are guides, claiming there are non... makes it too obvious :)

just trying to prove what he did not, solve it by himself

uh and btw, the "original" intention for the ingame browser are pages like orochi-group.net a page that the "main reason" for my posts obviously never saw :P  nuff said?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

100 hours and I've just got to Egypt. Literally right at the start of it. Did a little repeating of some mission for AP but getting skills and trying to find a good skillset is part of the gameplay. I also spent a good few hours trying to solo (QL6) that harder area in the middle of blue mountains for fun, I did pretty good as well and now have tons of QL 10 stuff I can't use yet lol. I don't think it's too short, I even cheated on a few investigation missions. Soon as I saw that morse mode bit I ran to google without even thinking. Investigation quests are great and all that, but if they think I'm going to learn morse code for a game then they have another thing coming lol

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by godpuppet

Key Points:

All our dungeons are available in different difficulties, and some of them are insanely hard.

Yeah, which ive done, and unfortunately the harder ones require me to wait 16 hours a try and they're bugged.

By doing this they will gather different puzzle pieces, which they can combine, and then summon forth a demon to fight. If they are successful they will get some nice gear, but a also another puzzle piece. If a player gathers enough of these puzzle pieces, they can summon the region boss, which is a huge baddie!

So what your saying is this should be my endgame? Going around chasing world mobs?

In addition to all of this we have lots of PvP the players can have fun with. Everything from some quick action minigames, to persistent world domination PvP.

So like I said in my OP, endgame has PVP.

Look im sorry im bashing your favorite game. But you cant really say im naive when the thread you linked me too says the same things i said in my OP. I enjoyed the game too but theres no endgame, or its too short.

many people have said -- theres plenty to do, often citing the dungeons

but Op has made it clear, the dungeons are bugged

nice troll try

You finished a game...

unless a game as player created/driven content, you "beat it" sooner of later. Only socializing remains. TSW enver claimed to a sandbox.

Wouldn't it make sense to make an MMORPG based on player created/driven content then? Doesn't it seem counter productive to make it story driven? Why did you even mention sandbox? Are you assuming that themeparks can't have player driven content?

funny part: he killed 25 ravenants

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/character/Kilmar

doing the raven + jack's quest alone should give you more of those

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I'm not even out of Kingsmouth yet :/ .. But started playing TSW CB around April of this year.

I do work 55 hours a week, I just don't have the luxury like I used to when I was in my 20s to play games daily.

But if the OP enjoyed the game that much and can devote 6 to 7 hours a day, well I can't knock him for enjoying what they like to do.

And 'OP' THANKS for serving our Country image

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Wouldn't it make sense to make an MMORPG based on player created/driven content then? Doesn't it seem counter productive to make it story driven? Why did you even mention sandbox? Are you assuming that themeparks can't have player driven content?

The game doesn't have to be a sandbox to have that longevity.

This discussion is glossing over, or outright missing one very key detail: There are people out there who play MMOs to "beat them". To get to end-game as fast as they can. That's their goal. That's their "fun". That's why they are playing the game to begin with. "To get to the end". They will find the most efficient, fastest and easiest ways to get through everything (including using walk-through and strat guides to "eliminate any time wasted on guess work").

Many of these people have a lot of free time on their hands that they can dedicate to this endeavor. That's not a knock against them. Hell, I wish I had more free time, I have a lot of projects I'd love to spend more time working on, even outside of MMOs.

Those people are sometimes referred to as content locusts.

There are people like that in every MMO and no MMO could ever provide enough to keep them entertained for the long haul, because they're not in it for the long haul.

Some people play MMOs to experience them.

Some play MMOs to "conquer" them.

The former can play a MMO for years, never see everything, and have a blast.

The latter will typically play a MMO for maybe a few months, burn through everything, get bored, (perhaps complain on forums about "not enough content"), and move on to some other MMO to do the same thing. They're the quintessential MMO-hoppers.

Both types of players (and all in-between) are playing exactly the same game, have exactly the same content to get through and have exactly the same requirements to get through it. It all boils down to personal playstyles and goals, and there's a huge chasm of difference there.

An old friend of mine and I used to both play FFXI. I'm very much the "experience the game" type. He was very much the "conquer the game" type. We'd have conversations about what we did in game. He'd go on about how he followed such-and-such guide to get this "perfect build" that gave him maximum efficiency in fighting certain mobs or in completing some mission, etc. Every minute he was logged in was dedicated to "progress progress progress!". I would respond with some stories of my own, of some random (mis)adventure I went off on, of some funny situation that arose during an xp party that ended in an epic wipe, etc. As I'm telling my friend this, I could see his expression was something of like... pity mixed with frustration.

When he responded, he'd say something like "Well, I don't know. Not a very efficient or productive use of your time. I would have left that party and found one that was better optimized and more efficient. You could have probably gotten at least another level and a half in that time instead." That's the way he saw what I was doing. An epic wipe that had me almost in tears at how hilarious it was, was a terrible waste of time to him.

It wasn't about having fun to him. It was about "being productive and efficient at all times". I get that same vibe from many others in MMOs I play now. They judge and value everything on "how efficiently it's getting them through the game". They value their playtime based on "how many levels did I get", or "did I get any good loot". It's never about the experience of playing to these people. It's always about "was the payoff worth it".

Just as it must perplex that type of player to see people who, like myself, are perfectly fine with taking a long time to reach level cap (we're often mis-labeled as "masochists").. It really confuses me how others can find enjoyment in something they treat like a second job.

But then, I guess that's why we have sayings like "to each their own".

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

I agree with the op. After 4 days /played, I finished the last elite dungeon*, watched every video, did every quest once*, figured out every investigation quest by myself, explored every zone to find all side quests. The game is great, really great, but poor in content quantity.

*edit: most of the dungeons without any strat infos, its way more fun to develop a plan by yourself.

*edit: except for the quest "droning on and on" of course, which can't be started at the moment.

What is left to do: PvPing (I dont like that, usually you die in under a second, and I'm tank with 11k hp, I loved the Rift- and SWTOR-PvP though), finish the wheel (44%, so 56% left by running slaughter house...), finding the last few knowledge items, starting nightmare mode (got access already)

Sorry I don't believe you 96 hours post a screenshot of your played time as well as your lore pages showing how you went through everyzone and did all quests and side quests.Your either not being honest about how much you really played or you haven't done all the quests and side quests my guess if your not being honest about either.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

The game doesn't have to be a sandbox to have that longevity.

This discussion is glossing over, or outright missing one very key detail: There are people out there who play MMOs to "beat them". To get to end-game as fast as they can. That's their goal. That's their "fun". That's why they are playing the game to begin with. "To get to the end". They will find the most efficient, fastest and easiest ways to get through everything (including using walk-through and strat guides to "eliminate any time wasted on guess work").

Many of these people have a lot of free time on their hands that they can dedicate to this endeavor. That's not a knock against them. Hell, I wish I had more free time, I have a lot of projects I'd love to spend more time working on, even outside of MMOs.

Those people are sometimes referred to as content locusts.

There are people like that in every MMO and no MMO could ever provide enough to keep them entertained for the long haul, because they're not in it for the long haul.

Some people play MMOs to experience them.

Some play MMOs to "conquer" them.

The former can play a MMO for years, never see everything, and have a blast.

The latter will typically play a MMO for maybe a few months, burn through everything, get bored, (perhaps complain on forums about "not enough content"), and move on to some other MMO to do the same thing. They're the quintessential MMO-hoppers.

It all boils down to personal playstyles and goals, and there's a huge chasm of difference there.

I must have some kind of split personality then because I fit both of those definitions. I played EQ1, UO, WOW, and CoH all for over a year, EQ and WoW over 3 years each but I played SWTOR and TSW for a little over two weeks each.  I've been called a content locust but at the same time I've played other games for years.

I just feel like well I beat the story, there's no point in an alt, this has exactly the same end game pvp, dungeons, purple item progression... hmm I dunno. At the same time I feel like I could once again find a game to keep me going for years again.

Originally posted by rznkain

I agree with the op. After 4 days /played, I finished the last elite dungeon*, watched every video, did every quest once*, figured out every investigation quest by myself, explored every zone to find all side quests. The game is great, really great, but poor in content quantity.

*edit: most of the dungeons without any strat infos, its way more fun to develop a plan by yourself.

*edit: except for the quest "droning on and on" of course, which can't be started at the moment.

What is left to do: PvPing (I dont like that, usually you die in under a second, and I'm tank with 11k hp, I loved the Rift- and SWTOR-PvP though), finish the wheel (44%, so 56% left by running slaughter house...), finding the last few knowledge items, starting nightmare mode (got access already)

Sorry I don't believe you 96 hours post a screenshot of your played time as well as your lore pages showing how you went through everyzone and did all quests and side quests.Your either not being honest about how much you really played or you haven't done all the quests and side quests my guess if your not being honest about either.

It's completely possible.

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72

It's the new gaming culture, unfortunately.  Blow through a game in the first month before the sub starts and wait for the next mmo that releases right around the corner. Rinse and repeat.  

Don't forget to jump on the forum and boast about your gaming prowess while simultaneously bashing the game you just completed because somehow that makes you look elite.

No time to enjoy the game.  Gotta win the race and brag about it  *strokes epeen*... Next!

Sheesh

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

Originally posted by Mystais

It's the new gaming culture, unfortunately.  Blow through a game in the first month before the sub starts and wait for the next mmo that releases right around the corner. Rince and repeat.  

Don't forget to jump on the forum and boast about your gaming prowess while simultaneously bashing the game you just completed because somehow that makes you look elite.

i think i like you :)

• MikuHatsumeMikuHatsume Member Posts: 7

I can't belive someone allready "finished" it

I am playing it since a few days (only played like 8 ingame hours or so) and when I am hearing, that somepeople playing since the release having fun, that makes me happ for whats coming next~

than someone is saying he finished it in like 5 days, sry but i don't get it~ why would you try to finish it so badly, instead of enjoyning the content?

plus an mmo never is finished really X3

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well spending 6-8 horus a day since launch and now getting to end game sounds liek quite a bit of content to me really..

I have been playing since head start maybe a few hours a day and not every day not even finished everything in savage coast yet.. so for me the game is fine...

Saying that how long would wow take if you could play it all day to max out your character? and thats now.. how long would it have taken on release?

Its themepark MMORPGs for you the story and character development have to end at some point..