Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attack animations and sounds are lacking...

Comments

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

2 Daemonweaver

Finally, someone else noticed :)

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

attack animations and sounds are amazing.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by gessekai332

Since i've been praising this game ever since it was announced and even bought the artbook and read both novels I'd like to point out something I didnt like about this game, and thats the attack animations and sounds. For some reason another, whenver you hit a monster it feels lacking somehow. i cant put my finger on it but you do see this in some games. In games like Aion, Diablo 3 or TERA you can really feel the hit of your weapon as it connects and the monster recoils. in games like WAR, GW2, and TERA when you hit something for some reason you dont feel it as much. Maybe it has something to do with how the models are made or game physics. And this i feel is a very important aspect to mmorpgs, the rewarding feeling of hitting your opponent and then finally killing it. Anyone feel the same way or know what the problem is?

Those are you examples of 'good game play?' 

Aion was a fast riser, and almost as fast faller.    Diablo III is an over-rated grind-fest that has been pilloried by the community.  And TERA is a massively over-rated turd that's gone through massive contractions in Korea, Japan and is falling apart even faster in the west than SWTOR.

Which gets me to the point:  big deal combat.   These technical issues, once a certain threshold is passed, are not the important functions of an MMO. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by IstrebiteI
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

GW2 is the only game to have sepperate annimations for lower and upper boddy that have to work in conjunction with eachother. 

Am i wrong, didnt WoW had this? I dunno since i'm not playing it anymore (waiting for GW2, actually, to finally give me something better than WoW).

You are right. There are a lot of other MMORPGs the don't separate animations between the upper and lower body as well.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

I can see someone not liking the animations (I personally love them), but this game has some of the absolute best sound effects and foley I've ever heard in a video game, let alone an MMO. I could listen to GW2's gunshots and explosions and clinking armor, etc. all day long and love every second of it.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by colddog04

GW2 is the only game to have sepperate annimations for lower and upper boddy that have to work in conjunction with eachother. 

Am i wrong, didnt WoW had this? I dunno since i'm not playing it anymore (waiting for GW2, actually, to finally give me something better than WoW).

You are right. There are a lot of other MMORPGs the don't separate animations between the upper and lower body as well.

WoW has a mix of both I think.. I do remember for example the over head strike with a two hand weapon for a orc warrior where they bend their knees that still plays if you run around making you  "slide" for a bit.

Edit: link for proof! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0yPC3dxMM#t=1m58s

• thefang01thefang01 Member UncommonPosts: 9

Interesting how people immediately try to dig up post history "dirt" on people they disagree with ;)

As for the animations - I quite like most of them with the exception of the running animation (especially when the character is changing direction while I keep the camera facing straight ahead). It feels.. floaty somehow and not quite natural. The camera smoothing doesn't help there either and makes it appear a little sluggish IMO. It conveys a lack of responsiveness that's probably not really there. And it's hard tp put into words ^^

Anyway, what the OP mentioned is not really much of an issue for me, but it could be better a little - to put some more punch in the.. punches.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by dlld
    Originally posted by colddog04

WoW has a mix of both I think.. I do remember for example the over head strike with a two hand weapon for a orc warrior where they bend their knees that still plays if you run around making you  "slide" for a bit.

Edit: link for proof! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA0yPC3dxMM#t=1m58s

Yeah, it's often awkward both ways in my mind. If you separate them, it looks odd, and when you keep them together, it looks odd. And WoW does use a mixture of both.

GW2 does a pretty good job of blending the animations while moving. But there is still a certain amount of sliding like you see with the overhand skill (slam?) in WoW.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Are you kidding? Combat animations, while not perfect, and the accompanying sound, give combat a "weighty" feel that I have never experienced in another MMO.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

After seeing how ArenaNet improved the "sense of hitting" in their combat, I'm surprised that people can still complain about it. Now the way your character slides, when it altrernate between strafes is a different matter entirely.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by MosesZD
    Originally posted by gessekai332

Since i've been praising this game ever since it was announced and even bought the artbook and read both novels I'd like to point out something I didnt like about this game, and thats the attack animations and sounds. For some reason another, whenver you hit a monster it feels lacking somehow. i cant put my finger on it but you do see this in some games. In games like Aion, Diablo 3 or TERA you can really feel the hit of your weapon as it connects and the monster recoils. in games like WAR, GW2, and TERA when you hit something for some reason you dont feel it as much. Maybe it has something to do with how the models are made or game physics. And this i feel is a very important aspect to mmorpgs, the rewarding feeling of hitting your opponent and then finally killing it. Anyone feel the same way or know what the problem is?

Those are you examples of 'good game play?' 

Aion was a fast riser, and almost as fast faller.    Diablo III is an over-rated grind-fest that has been pilloried by the community.  And TERA is a massively over-rated turd that's gone through massive contractions in Korea, Japan and is falling apart even faster in the west than SWTOR.

Which gets me to the point:  big deal combat.   These technical issues, once a certain threshold is passed, are not the important functions of an MMO. 

hey never said anything about gameplay. just attack-animations and stuff.

GW2 attack animations because a bit off- i played mostly melee characters, maybe its some weird sliding effects i get here and there and also with some of the spammable aoe skills there is something that is a bit off on those (maybe sliding as well? some sort of slight lag?) .

My post history-  wow, first time someone has attempted to call me at troll :D. pretty amusing- nice try though lol.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Before bashing on the annimations, people should understand that a guildwars annimation is not a streamed annimation, it can be changed intoo something else at any 10th of a seccond. 

Now if you compare this technollogy to games like TERA, where every annimation takes 2 secconds to finnish preventing people to do anything else, its understandable that when people do some akward things with their character, it just may look akward too.  GW2 is the only game to have sepperate annimations for lower and upper boddy that have to work in conjunction with eachother. 

So while studying Youtube videos, these annimations sometimes look a little strange, actually playing the character with all the freedom feels incredible much better then the very stylished TERA mechanics. The flow you play feels so natural and free, that those little awkward edges of the annimations (that i personally dont even see in videos) will not even be noticeble. 

The GW2 annimations through this technollogy are probably one of the major strong points of the game.

And the sounds are right on par... very much in sync with the action on the screen. When playing the game the combination of attack annimations, freedom and sound makes the combat feel connected and immersive.

It is exactly as lord bachus says, and is indeed a strong point not a weakness as the GW animation system allows for a freeflow of various and appropriate animation during combat on the fly, a while back anet addressed this issue and how sometimes the transitions dont look so smooth when moving erradically in the heat of combat on their blog site..

Anet also said we shouldnt expect much if anything to change on the animation system as well..

Playing GW2..

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

When I bash opponents with my Warrior, it for sure feels like hitting them - and the sound is nicely appropriate too. The animations are great.

Agree.

They added in tons of new effects and modified the sounds between BWE1 and BWE2 to make things more visceral and it worked.

Things like screen shakes and more "throaty" sounds - they toned down the spell animations a bit so things didn't get too crazy when there were 50+ people on a big mob.

5/5 stars IMO - even beats out TOR and it's "synchronized combat animations" which IMO were extremely lack luster.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Master10K

After seeing how ArenaNet improved the "sense of hitting" in their combat, I'm surprised that people can still complain about it. Now the way your character slides, when it altrernate between strafes is a different matter entirely.

Damn that vid makes me wish it were Friday!

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

When I bash opponents with my Warrior, it for sure feels like hitting them - and the sound is nicely appropriate too. The animations are great.

Agree.

They added in tons of new effects and modified the sounds between BWE1 and BWE2 to make things more visceral and it worked.

Things like screen shakes and more "throaty" sounds - they toned down the spell animations a bit so things didn't get too crazy when there were 50+ people on a big mob.

5/5 stars IMO - even beats out TOR and it's "synchronized combat animations" which IMO were extremely lack luster.

Agreed. One of my bigger peeves with BWE1 was how weak attacks felt. No "oomph".

BWE2 fixed that, mostly. There's still a few attacks I felt could use more.

• Looking at many of the class videos, it seems to me the Warrior class abilities seem to have gotten the best animation and sound effects. They outshine the others by a mile IMO.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Master10K

They have improved it a lot more from last Beta :D

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've been playing a lot of TSW lately and even though there are some exceptions, most of the combat there lacks any "oomph". GW2 features the same ability to "run and gun" and the animation requirements are very similar for the two games, but GW2 does it better. It's not perfect, but Arenanet has already acknowledged that. There were some improvements in time for BWE2 and there are more in the works.

I saw an interview recently were they talked about that and the sound guys have been busy improving combat sounds. Not only have they tweaked or replaced some sounds that weren't up to par, but they also have a system in place where the sound of a hit will reflect how hard (how much damage) you hit them with, so higher damage skills and crits will sound a bit different, as will blocked, evaded or missed attacks. I think that's pretty cool.

I'm sure they will continue to tweak what they can tweak, but I was already happy with the look, feel and sound of combat during previous events.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

GW2 may not have the best animations and sounds but it is neverthelss A+ quality, maybe its time to get a better computer and better internet ping.

Just name an MMO that has the annimation diversity and the freedom of movement of GW2 and where annimations look better. 

There are none.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

GW2 may not have the best animations and sounds but it is neverthelss A+ quality, maybe its time to get a better computer and better internet ping.

Just name an MMO that has the annimation diversity and the freedom of movement of GW2 and where annimations look better. 

There are none.

Just one thing I want: add more animations for slot1 skills on weapons without chains. For example, when I fight with a sword I see multiple animations because slot1 is a 3-chain combo. When I fight with a scepter it's a 1-attack animation and looks the same all the time, they could make it look like a 3-chain combo, only in animation no need for more functionality. That would make some "boring" attack animations become awesome :D

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• hirosikahirosika Member Posts: 5

yep gw2 animations are terrible

Tera and Aion are still the tops to date

• hirosikahirosika Member Posts: 5

There are none.

Aion

[mod edit]

again like the op said combat animation and sound in gw2 is just terrible,that wont make me regret playin it tho.

[mod edit]

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by seridan

There are none.

Just one thing I want: add more animations for slot1 skills on weapons without chains. For example, when I fight with a sword I see multiple animations because slot1 is a 3-chain combo. When I fight with a scepter it's a 1-attack animation and looks the same all the time, they could make it look like a 3-chain combo, only in animation no need for more functionality. That would make some "boring" attack animations become awesome :D

That's actually a really good idea seridan. You should send that to Anet directly. The chances of them seeing it on these forums is very slim. I've been following the game for a while, and I honestly cannot think of anyone bringing that up yet. You really should.

- Honestly, as someone who does a decent amount of animation work, I'm pretty impressed with GW2's animations. Are they the best I've ever seen? No. But for a video game they are up there at the top. What's most impressive is how they're implemented, really. For basically a free-flowing animation system, they work very, very well. Sure, you could get a little bit better animations by making them canned, static playbacks, but you would sacrifice a lot more than you gained in doing so.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by hirosika

There are none.

Aion

i checked your post history you r obviously a gw2 fanboy 

gw2 is a great game pre order it myself but you fanboys need to accept the cons....gw2 is NOT PERFECT start dealing with this.

again like the op said combat animation and sound in gw2 is just terrible,that wont make me regret playin it tho.

i just accepting the pros and cons unlike many fanboys i see here daily.

And you are an Aion fanboy? It goes both ways sir.

What you're basically illustrating is a difference in personal preference. Some people really love the anime style of animations. However, with the exception of a very few, they are largely known to be terrible. This doesn't stop people from prefering them over others.

To the part in red

No one is saying the game is perfect. Far from it. You guys need to stop going back to that argument like it still has relevance. A lot of GW2 threads even emphasize this fact, and yet you people still act like people who like this game are in some kind of cult.

However, there is a difference between objective criticism, and personal preference. I realize that when dealing w/ any creative product there is always an amount of subjectivity that comes into it, however this 'i like X so therefor it's perfect' or 'i dislike Y therefor it sucks' mentallity goes nowhere.

GW2's animations won't be to everyone's liking, and it has been explained why. This doesn't mean they are bad, because they are not. There are certain features in the game that I would honestly agree are not on par, but the animations & combat sounds... sorry, not seeing it. Some people prefer more canned animations. These can be a bit better, because they don't account for any outside actions. GW2 is fundamentally different in this regard. They have a series of separate animations layered together, reacting to what's going on. You don't really see that in Aion or TERA.

Both Aion & TERA have some pretty good animations, I'd agree, but they are not nearly as impressive from a technical standpoint. Neither Aion or TERA have animations that compensate for the environment, how hard something is hitting, etc.

At best you have separate sounds for a crit vs. a normal hit vs. a dodge. But that's about it.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559

Personally I dont think the animations and sound effects are that bad at all, my personal minor gripe is more in the style, it fits decent in the atmophere of the game but still personally I would have liked them a tad more..(for the lack of better words for it) simpler, down to earth. Im just a tad tired of the kunfu-slapstick power ranger styles with more special fx then Michael Bay would use.