Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I was duped again...

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The game is tremendously safer and more doable in a duo than solo.  It also makes sure that you get more of the kinds of talismans that you actually want rather than mostly ones that you do not want.  The only problem with regard to duos is that the game has far too many instances for quests that are purely solo.  So you start a quest together -- do steps 1 through 4 together then you reach step 5 and it is a solo thing where you each end up in your own instance.  Now you get something harder than what you were duoing and you have to do it alone.  Beyond the fact that this forces you into a solo mode, it also means that if you are fighting up to your level as opposed to below your level, that you can't complete these segements alone. 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Bootez

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....

But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks.... 

There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right?

There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though..

I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow. 

I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me. 

If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY. 

MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE. Not "More Monotony, Okay?" 

bah...

I can only say that it was your own fault this time. There were PLENTY of reviews by players from long-time Beta participation, and videos of the game showing you how the game was played. I'm not sure how you couldn't infer gameplay from all of the massive information out there for TSW so i'm not sure what else to say for you :/.

Did you miss my review?

ReviewLink

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

No offense, but if you had read all the reviews and believed the right people...you'd have known all that before you bought it. All of those concerns were brought up in the critical reviews...

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks.... 

Is this really being duped?  Like i think to dupe someone you need to be a little more active in your deceitful activities.  

About the 1-shot issue, you brought up, yes, it can be very annoying. 

I dealt with it by going into heavy armor though I'm dps. It helped with the stupid hammer burst damage. I hate it, but you just have to stay out of it's range with your rifle or whatever. Then I went and got red mist and some pvp gear, and it's not really a problem now. Anyone with a hammer is first on my list for red mist.

You have to adapt sometimes, before you ask for nerfing.

EDIT: I've never heard of a game with pvp where people don't complain about CC. But everyone who has some form of CC uses it, right? Nobody likes to be cc'd and 1-shot. Nobody. So you have to find out what to do to minimize your exposure to it. There are usually ways to do it. Otherwise, go get yourself a hammer and start 1-shotting fools.

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Originally posted by freston

Fine, you wanted a group-focused mmo and tsw isnt that, at least not more than most mmos out there, i get that. Saying its "not innovative, its the same old with a new skin..." just doesnt cut it imho. TSW its an adult, horror-themed, modern-world, conspiracy based mmo. Four terms, four innovations, at least in my opinion.

You coud possibly argue that absolutely everything has been tried before in one way or another, but if you really wanted absolutely new, never tried before ideas wed probably have to resort to play mmos about dancing contests for transvestite gorillas, social simulators for flying bears with laser eyes or epic tales about kungfu fighting intelligent panda bears, and no sane mmo developer would try ever ideas that crazy.

Sorry when does the mmo with laser eyed kunfu fighting transvestite gorillas come out? WIth the state of mmos it may be the next big thing ! :P

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

I don't agree with the OP in regards to TSW not being innovative and that it is the same ol' stuff. There is plenty posted already to support why I disagree.

For me, I am glad I got in early. I have been playing TSW non-stop and have enjoyed the heck out of it so far. I am almost always in a group with friends of faction folks and find that some of the missions into later zones are way hard if you try to solo.

Best MMO I have played in a very long time and that includes GW2 so far from the beta events. I will be playing GW2 as well though.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Sometimes I think people expect too much from video games...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....But because of how quiet the forums were, I fell into the trap and wasted the 60 bucks.... There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right?There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though..I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow. I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me. If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY. MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE. Not "More Monotony, Okay?" bah...

If a game doesn't meet your expectations, when you don't bother getting some basic info about the game, you only have yourself to blame for the game not meeting your expectations.

As far as grouping goes, if you're looking for games where the solo game isn't the focus, you're not going to find it in anything resembling a mass market game. It's just not going to happen.

There, now you know what to expect and you won't have to go buy a game and get disappointed by that aspect of the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Game isn't the issue more than it is bored gamers who pop down 50 bucks looking for something to excite them again after they focus most of there RL time into a game they expect to find another that will suck there rl away also.TSW is a good game for what it is.Does it have bugs and some flaws for sure,But the good still outweighs the bad.I am enjoying it that all that matters to me.

One thing I don't get alot of posters on here saying how they didn't buy the game and it sucked in beta or they didn't wanna try it etc etc why are you even here posting? I think GW2 is a pile of garbage but I do not feel the urge to go post on a games forum that I have no interest in or do not like.Some of you really need to find a better hobby than trolling on a games forum that you do not like.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

Didn't read all 7 pages.. but as for the OP..

As for PVP, have you tried different weapon combos?  How far into the skill wheel are you, what QL gear are you running with etc..

One thing I noticed, at least for me early on, builds that worked well in one area, fell flat on their face in other areas.  My PVP deck, Solo PVE deck, Duo PVE deck and Group deck are very different.  

If you play for a couple days and hop into PVP you're gonna get wasted like in most other games.  There are already people sporting QL10 blue/purple items in every slot.  Yeah, you get a bolster type effect in pvp, but that isn't gonna save you from somebody with far superior gear, abilities and skill points.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Funny, I have seen a lot more grouping on the fly for a mission than I have seen in probably any recent game. People seem to be really cool about inviting and accepting invites to group when it becomes obvious that people are on the same mission.

My only criticism would be that they force you to solo in the solo instances. That should be a choice. Other than that. I have been having a blast.

All die, so die well.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

.... PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting.

What game are you playing? I've never seen, nor done, a one shot in pvp.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I agree with the OP.
    MMO developers are getting clever.
    Instead of making single player games, they add the MMO twist with few WOW features.
    This way instead of making money just from the box sales, they have the chance to make extra quids from subscription.
    They are still single player games at core, but some players might still pay few extra months on top of the box sales.
    They win, the MMO community lose, since it looks like this will be the pathway of all future MMOs.
    Very sad

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This game was a serious temptation for me as well, fortunately i have a "6 month to 1 year wait and see policy" on funcom games that i decided to stick to because GW2 is so close otherwise i would have certainly caved..

I played in 3 BWEs and liked the game a lot but at the same time i could definately see some shortcomings as well and feel i would likely have been done with the game in less than 30 days..

At some point in the future i will try the game after funcom has finished it up and is done nerfing/adjusting things which ussually takes about a year..

Playing GW2..

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by nerrollus

.... PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting.

With the right passives, there's a couple one shot builds (though they don't generally work on people with more than 8k HP)

1) Anima Charge (w/ the auto-crit passive, brawler, +dmg passives) + Thor's hammer. Depending on gear, and whether or not it penetrates / glances, you can deal over 5-10k dmg.

2) Red Mist, with auto-crit. Very similar to the Thor's build, but different setup, as it doesn't work w/ Anima Charge. Also Red Mist cannot be glanced, or evaded, and has a longer range than THor's, which makes it a generally better skill. Doesn't hit as hard though, but you can still crit for ~4-7k+ w/ the right setup.

There's also a Hammer build, that isn't a 1shot, but is basically a 2-shot build. Uses the AoE lift CC to knock people on their ass, and some type of ground smash finisher. It's effectively a 1shot, being that this all happens in 1-2 seconds, and you can't really do much about it other than prey his dmg sucks.

Another thing to consider is most people's HP in PvP falls between 3k-7k HP. Anyone with more is basically a tank, and doesn't tend to hit very hard at all. (though I have seen some 8-9k healers)

And ya, generally the most common builds you see are Rifle/Blade (with the red mist 1shot setup), and some additional survivability / dmg from blade. They also generally have suppressing fire w/ the affliction trade, which just spams AoE at a pretty ridiculous rate. The Thor's build you see a decent amount (though is less common, due to how easy the Rifle/Blade build is, and has better range). And the hammer build (because generally if the hammer gets close enough, he's guarunteed a kill before death, if not more than 1)

I have seen a few less common builds (chaos dps is pretty nasty too, but not a 1shot), and the occassional healer specs, but the vast majority of players are using 1-2shot specs, usually with a stun or knockdown. It's basically a massive game of 'fire off my instant kill combo, and then hope I can survive long enough to do it again'. Kinda lame.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

I think hes talking about when you get focused fired in fusang.  Happens.  I try to break off and avoid the zerg battle and get me some ninja capping or harass a respawn and pick people off heading back to the main battle.

But yeah, get too ballsy in the main battle and youll see a few hammers being tossed your way then dead...its harder to see who else is attacking you though, other than the obvious melee or hammer chucking elementalists...cant see how many AR snipers are hitting you as well.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by rznkain

One thing I don't get alot of posters on here saying how they didn't buy the game and it sucked in beta or they didn't wanna try it etc etc why are you even here posting? I think GW2 is a pile of garbage but I do not feel the urge to go post on a games forum that I have no interest in or do not like.Some of you really need to find a better hobby than trolling on a games forum that you do not like.

Might want to work on some definitions there...commenting negatively on a game you have tried isn't "trolling"...at least it certainly isn't on a generic site dedicated to the discussion of all MMOs like this.

A lot of us have been playing these games for 10yrs+ and/or working in the industry and simply like talking about them.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by BigRock411

I think hes talking about when you get focused fired in fusang.  Happens.  I try to break off and avoid the zerg battle and get me some ninja capping or harass a respawn and pick people off heading back to the main battle.

But yeah, get too ballsy in the main battle and youll see a few hammers being tossed your way then dead...its harder to see who else is attacking you though, other than the obvious melee or hammer chucking elementalists...cant see how many AR snipers are hitting you as well.

Well IDK if this changed in release but in CB you could one shot or two shot people in sPvP. It was very annoying and showed how imba the system was. I don't know if it has changed at all in release but I take it hasn't.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Its only a single player game if you choose to not socialize and group up with people. I have seen many a group doing quests together and have participated in this myself.

Suggestion: Post on the forums your playtimes and see if anyone is looking to group up. I use to see this all the time back in the day...it was called a static. In the real world its called making friends.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

I was trying to be very cautious about TSW. I wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to wait for all the bad reviews that are incoming any day now and then make a decision....

There are good things about the game.. The story, the feel. But that's about where it ends. PvP is in a horrific state of one-shotting and CC that is beyond overpowered and really pointless considering the state of one-shotting. But hey, why not just add the CC for good measure? This will need MAJOR balancing. 

PvE- meh. Nothing really that new. A couple of decent mechanics... that i've seen elsewhere. But hey, it's the ambiance right?

There is nothing that screams "MMO." It's a single-player RPG, just like SW:TOR. It really isn't worth the sub fee. It will do great as a F2P though..

I came to TSW because I thought it was going to be innovative. But honestly, there really isn't anything "innovative." It's the same recipe disguised in a new skin. There is no reason to team. Dungeon leveling isn't as fast as questing. PvP leveling is horrifically slow. 

I'm tired of MMO's that make the solo aspect the most efficient. Why are we punished for teaming? That seems ass-backwards to me. 

If any dev is reading this, here is a tip: STOP MAKING THE GAMES SINGLE-PLAYER. GIVE US MORE XP FOR TEAMING. BETTER LOOT. ACTUALLY, JUST REMOVE ANY SINGLE PLAYER ASPECTS COMPLETELY. 

MMO stands for MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE. Not "More Monotony, Okay?" 

bah...

Move along, move along... yes, thats a good lad... move along!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by TalulaRose

Its only a single player game if you choose to not socialize and group up with people. I have seen many a group doing quests together and have participated in this myself.

Suggestion: Post on the forums your playtimes and see if anyone is looking to group up. I use to see this all the time back in the day...it was called a static. In the real world its called making friends.

See... I don't buy this argument at all.

It's a lot like the claim that D3 is 'designed around multiplayer'. Having the option to play w/ others does not mean the game is really based around that. The fact that you can choose to interact with others kind of illustrates how the game is very single-player.

A lot like with diablo, while you can choose to group up, most of the game can be done solo. It's designed for it. The game also has a ton of solo instances, that force you to do them on your own. There's also the Fusang PvP, which forbids you from Queing as a group. The game is primarily solo, but yes, it does give you the option to group. It's also a lot more fun in a group, but that has nothing to do with the design. Most games are more fun when playing with other people.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by aesperus

My real point to this thread, I guess, was to warn people to not fall into the same trap.. Let the game spend some time working out the bugs (which there are many) and the balancing, and then you'll find something worth the monthly.

Sad thing is, this was a warning that many people on the forums brought up. However, for every post bringing up legitimate problems with the game, there are at least 10 that contradict it, and pretend the game is flawless.

I've seen every claim on here from, the combat being extremely innovative & dynamic (questionable), to the game not having traditional trinity roles (completely bs), to the game not being primarily a single-player experience, with multi-player fuctionality (again, bs).

However, these forums are notorious for that sort of thing. This is the haven for trolls, fanboys, and the vocal minority. Every horrible game has advocates on these forums. Every game that has flaws has enough people willing to look passed them, to the point where they delude themselves & others into thinking they don't exist.

The OP has legitimate concerns about the game. Even if he is coming across as a bit frustrated. The game isn't garbage, it has some really well done features. The story is also pretty good for the most part. The game (regardless of what people tell you) is still extremely buggy. There are a lot of bugs, and many of them have been there since beta. Most of the dungeons are buggy, and while you can do a good amount of runs w/ out realizing theirs bugs, there are all kinds of fun little glitches that are absolutely infuriating at  times. Bosses spawning / despawning incorrectly. Mechanics bugging out and whiping the group. Bosses attacking people in the respawn area (which is supposed to be a safe zone). There's a long list.

- Another fact to consider, which many people seem to be overlooking, is this game is following the exact same trend as SWTOR.The main draw to this game revolves around the story elements (a lot like SWTOR), and these elements, once you get passed the artificial barriers to progressing, go by fairly quick (again like SWTOR). Then you have endgame, which is basically a long grind from gear - gear, constantly trying to get those perfect randomized stats, as well as the top-end QL you can get. This is compounded by the skillpoint / AP grind, which is less painful, but still there. When you have QL10 gear (the max?) you still aren't done. You get to grind elites, in an effort to unlock nightmare modes. Once you do that, you then grind nightmare modes (on a shutout timer), for 'epic' QL10s, which can also be upgraded 3 times. So now instead of maxed QL10 gear, we have QL10.1, 10.2, and 10.3.  You have to grind signets (or money to try and buy the ones you want), because they no longer use the standard glyph upgrade slots, and instead have an added signet slot, which is another massive timesink. You can PvP for QL10+ gear, but the grind is insanely slow, warzones que at a horrid rate, and the rewards are so skewed that you get waay too much of part of the currency (white tokens), and barely any black tokens. It's basically, yet another gear grind. And what do we have to look forward to? New raids, with better loot.

In summary, the game is definitely nice for people who still enjoy the standard WoW gear treadmill, but are sick of the standard fantasy setting. You will have to put up w/ bugs, but the atmosphere and setting of this game is definitely refreshing. However, don't be fooled into thinking this game is mechanically different from the standard single-player heavy MMO with a gear treadmill. The game does do certain things differently, but so does every MMO gear treadmill clone. Even TOR had it's own unique features, and it was one of the closest games to directly copying WoW on a fundamental lvl.

What you wrote in red is absolutely true.   

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Grinding gear to be able to have fun in PvP is soooo 2004.

Join the revolution :)

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Its only a single player game if you choose to not socialize and group up with people.

The game mechanics do not encourage grouping at all. In fact it hinders the game in many aspects. It's hard to find groups when going solo is the much easier path. There's a little optional coop, but that is not the same as being an MMO.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Its only a single player game if you choose to not socialize and group up with people.

The game mechanics do not encourage grouping at all. In fact it hinders the game in many aspects. It's hard to find groups when going solo is the much easier path. There's a little optional coop, but that is not the same as being an MMO.

Garvon3, how far into TSW are you? I'm just wondering if you actually play the game or are just sharing your opinion on a game you don't  play.