Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The itemization is the only thing that worries me about this game

1235»

Comments

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by nomatics856

There is no hard to get equipment or loot, or powerful hard to get loot and every one has a easy chance of having the best gear, and dungeons dont drop rare gear.

Kinda worries me., that no one wants to work to get good gear.

There is going to be hard to get gear...just like in GW1 "Torment weapons" ....

The only difference is that they are going to be super dupper skins....but won´t give you any real stat advantage over other players...

You will look epic though ;)

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Dear OP,

do not worry, there are so many games out there for you. Geargrind is an outdated concept from the good old days, when nerds played EQ1 24/7. GW2 is the beginning of a new area. 5 years from now the average player will not even know what the word "grind" even means, aside from skateboarding of course.

Imagine the following dialouge:

A: And then we killed this big dragon and we were 40 players, that was awesome!

B: Why was it so awesome?

A: Because this dragon dropped the best helmet in the game.

B: So everybody got a helmet?

A: No, the dragon only dropped 2 helmets.

B: Oh, so you had to kill this dragon 20 times?

A: No, no, no. It was more complicated, I was a warrior and needed a warrior-helmet, but it could drop other helmets, for mages, priests....

B: And did the dragon drop your warrior-helmet?

A: Yes, that was sooo exciting, but there was another warrior and he got the helmet.

B: Oh, that is sad, but every time at least 2 players were happy.

A: Ehm, no, sometimes we got 2 helmets for shamans, but we had no shamans in our group.

B: But you could give them to other players?

A: No, that was impossible, we had to destroy them.

B: This is getting very annoying. How often did you kill this dragon?

A: About 50 times.

B: And did you eventually get your bloody helmet?

A: Unfortunately not :(

B: Let me sum it up: You had to make a timetable for you playingtime, you promised your guild to be available at least two complete evenings a week to kill the same dragon over and over and over again - just for a @#*% helmet you never got?

A: One could say so.

B: And THIS was supposed to be fun and the greatest experience in the game?

A: Ehm... yeah.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Have you read about the legendary weapons?

They are cosmetic only.

Ah yes, of course, if you want a gear grind like e.g. WoW, where the only way to play is to own the latest tier of PvE or PvP gear, you're in for a deception. There's no gear that makes you magically better than everyone else in GW2.

Still can't figure out why anyone has a real problem with this.. Just not what their used to is all I can come up with.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062

There is no hard to get equipment or loot, or powerful hard to get loot and every one has a easy chance of having the best gear, and dungeons dont drop rare gear.

If that's truly the case, then it reminds me of games before WoW came out. Back then, most of the fun was from the experience of playing and doing so with other people.

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Players should be rewarded for their work. No questions there. But what defines "hard" work in gw2? Is it the amount of time you put towards something? Or is it the players skill and "how" they do that something? The world may never know. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

Ya I work 40-60hr a week. I dont want to work when I play a video game. I kinda want fun stuff to happen and sometimes new gear just to happen. I dont want to plan to kil the same boss 60 times to get that helm I need to get to the next tier raid. Done that old treadmill. After 14 years of MMOing I can honestly say, I have no clue how MMOs got to be a grind fest? We used to explore and kill stuff just because and sometimes we walked away with something cool. Now its designed to be a gear grind and thats not what we enjoyed when MMO started. We played for the fun of it with our friends. When it became a grind I lets EQ1 and went to DAoC. No more grind pls, I want just the fun stuff. 

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

It's not that no one wants to work to earn something good. It's that the something good should be meaningful.

I know players who spent MONTHS in WoW earning Shadowmourne. It became utterly useless about one week in to Catacylsm. Most epics got replaced within a day or two. And then that item sits in the vault for months, never getting used. Heck you can't even transmute Legendaries, which I still think is stupid. 

We want meaningful gear. And we'll have it. It will be visually meaningful. And while there will be stats differencesm they won't break the bank. Because I'm wearing Season 12 and You're weaing Season 11, there's no reason why you should lose to me 100% of the time no matter what you do. I should have an advantage, but not a guarantee.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by StriderXed

Players should be rewarded for their work. No questions there. But what defines "hard" work in gw2? Is it the amount of time you put towards something? Or is it the players skill and "how" they do that something? The world may never know. 

Tell us again how playing = working?

Do you think the majority of players agree with your definition of playing?

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Kinda phrased the first part wrong. What I meant was more along the lines of . Players should be rewarded for finishing a task. Like killing a monster and getting gold.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

B: And THIS was supposed to be fun and the greatest experience in the game?

A: Ehm... yeah.

And my guild fellows always wondered why I quit the game before hitting the level cap.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606

Kinda phrased the first part wrong. What I meant was more along the lines of . Players should be rewarded for finishing a task. Like killing a monster and getting gold.

Thats in GW2, there is a loot progression and you are rewarded for playing. Only differance is that the only way to get top end gear is not by some epic raid. I can put my heart and soul into crafting and get top end gear. I can become an explorer and get top end gear. I can live in PvP and get top end gear. Not like WoW where only 10% of the players got the top end gear. This game is skill based not gear based. 

I loved playing Wintersgrasp and Battlegrounds in WoW but to be able to be top dog I had to grind Arena to get the best PvP gear. Where is GW2 you are not forced to play content you dont enjoy. The best gear is in the hardest content of each area of the game, crafting, dungeons, exploring, WvW, sPvP. 

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289

Ever played a game of football or softball? Gone Bowling? or even flew a kite?

They require practice, conditioning...(ie. work) if you want to succeed. I doubt the league bowler or the corporate softball player doesn't have fun when he plays, but he also spends time in a gym to keep in shape, goes to practices to keep his skills tuned. I'm pretty sure he'd say he put the work in when he gets 200 game or scores a run. Work is the expenditure of energy, it doesn't have to mean going to the same dead end job every day for minimum wage. And some people enjoy going to their job everyday and might even call parts of that fun.

My favorite MMO so far has been Everquest, and at times it is definately work (maybe both the good and bad definitions). But when you Ding'd a level after grinding for a week it meant something. When you finished your epic after questing for 6 months with several multi hour camps you felt a sense of accomplishment. Is that work, yes. Is it fun? for me yes. I doubt the Xbox champions got to their level without work but I also doubt they would keep at it if they didn't enjoy it.

Work...doesn't have to be a bad 4-letter word.

• SilverminkSilvermink Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Originally posted by joocheese

We've been preconditioned for the last 7 years (mainly by wow and its clones) to expect mmos to be gear grinding treadmills where games feel more like work than actual fun.

This is actually the leading reason why I quit SW:Tor. Bash it all you want I liked the story base. I didn't like the fact that a max geared level 50 looked nothing like a quest based level 50. What happens when Tor releases 1.4 with a new dungeon...another tier of armor? At least with WoW you had 2 tiers at max level and it didn't change until the expansion raised the level.

I do hope that the rarer items have some advantage over masterwork beside just cosmetic but not game changing upgrades. Going back to early EQ (yea, I know, I do it alot) you worked your tail off for 2 more int or 5 more ac or 10 more hp. The top 200 people on Majelo were seperated by less than 10% stats and had quite a variety of equipment from all over. Everyone didn't have to have exactly the same stuff to be competitive. Inspecting someone and finding a piece you never heard of and starting a conversation on how the person explored some out of the way place to get it helped build the community. Now everyone wants the same BIS item from the exact same place to make everyone look the same and the look it up on the forums or use gear upgrade software that herds them to the same place over and over. Little discussion about alternatives and standing out happen anymore.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

What does worry me however, was the lack of variety in looks in the game, or at least, it was very hard to and not really clear where you could find a new cool look through PvE.

To be fair, I only really went for leveling up on my guardian in BWE1, so it might be better already. But on that char, I looked the same basically from level 1-23. I was rather disappointed that after playing about 15-20 hours, my character still looked exactly the same as when exiting the tutorial (the only thing I gained were some longer sleeves).

People told me I should look at the karma vendors, but in all the BWE's, these mostly sold accessories and cooking items, bar a couple exceptions.

I hear that things get slightly different after level 25, so I'll push onward in the next BWE and have a look, but that's still a long time for new players until they feel like they've lost their "tutorial char" imo.

I actually experienced this, too, but that was either bad luck, or we didn't look hard enough. I saw a lot of screenshots, even from armor below that level (~25) that are totally different. Several guild mates also mentioned that they acquired several distinct looking armors. Karma vendors and crafting are the way to go, or as reward for dungeons.

I don't think we have to fear a lack of diversity, just take a look at Guild Wars, there is a good mix of armors with only minor to medium differences, and some that look totally different. And this time they have a so much greater time, more artists and time to create new skins.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore