Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The itemization is the only thing that worries me about this game

nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219

There is no hard to get equipment or loot, or powerful hard to get loot and every one has a easy chance of having the best gear, and dungeons dont drop rare gear.

Kinda worries me., that no one wants to work to get good gear.

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

Have you read about the legendary weapons?

PS: and no, it doesn't surprise me that people don't want to "work" in a video game - they want "fun" ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• nomatics856nomatics856 Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

They are cosmetic only.

Originally posted by nomatics856

They are cosmetic only.

Ah yes, of course, if you want a gear grind like e.g. WoW, where the only way to play is to own the latest tier of PvE or PvP gear, you're in for a deception. There's no gear that makes you magically better than everyone else in GW2.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68

You are underestimating the need of looking cool. Yes, it's possible to have the best gear (in numbers) easily, but nobody wants to look like a noob with those gears, everyone is going to hunt the sets that they like and the most cool-looking armor is not going to be easy to get.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

There is no hard to get equipment or loot, or powerful hard to get loot and every one has a easy chance of having the best gear, and dungeons dont drop rare gear.

Where did you come up with this ?

• wnuneswnunes Member UncommonPosts: 16

Do people know that itens in Gw2 have Stats?

It´s NOT cosmetic. The difference is that a person with legendary equips will not one hit other player with green or blue equips, But YES, they will be more powerful.

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by wnunes

It´s NOT cosmetic. The difference is that a person with legendary equips will not one hit other player with green or blue equips, But YES, they will be more powerful.

When people say that GW2 gear and weapons are cosmetic is not because they don't have stats, it's because all the armor and weapons of the same level have the same defense-attack numbers, the only change is in the stats they supply, for example, one armor can be 32 defense +15 power, and another one of the same level will be 32 defense +15 vitality, the real difference is achieved by adding gems and runes to the armor, and the most powerful ones can be obtained killing some meta-event bosses and in the dungeons. The legendary items have the same stats as a normal weapon of the same level, the only difference is that they are difficult to obtain and have an unique appearance.

Nope, legendary weapons are not more powerful than "normal" (epic) gear.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

They have the same lv if they are using the same type of gear.

There is a progression. blue - Green - Orange. ( it has more colors)

This kind, so its not THAT cosmetic, and its not easy to obtain an Orange equip

IT requires 60-80 badges to aquire ONE equip in the WvWvW.

Nope, legendary weapons are not more powerful than "normal" (epic) gear.

I´m not saying that they are.

I compared them with green and blue equips.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Is this the color coding for items in this game?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item

Quality name Item color
    Junk Gray
    Common White
    Fine Blue
    Masterwork Green
    Rare Yellow
    Exotic Orange
    Legendary Red
    Mystic Purple

I figure there is a tier at which stats stop going up on gear. Am I incorrect about this? Can someone explain exactly how this works?

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

I really think this entire post needs to be rephrased. We both know that there is hard to get equipment and loot. Dungeons do drop rare gear. Your problem is that the items do not give you an advantage over others. Let's be honest here, that is your complaint. Almost any other mmorpg  feed your need to dominate others through gear, why not play one of them? Quite frankly, I hope GW2 stays true and allows player skill to trump gear.

The best level 80 items are obtainable through, PvP, PvE (solo or group), crafting. The legendary items won't be more powerful, they will just have a badass apparence.

Yeah there's a "color code" progression, but there are no gear tiers. Once you have the best stats, any new gear you get will be purely cosmetical, and won't make you even more powerful. It's not like WoW where every new raid tier or PvP season makes the previous gear obsolete.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

It's pretty simple really. In GW2 (like in GW1) you can tell who is the best not by the base gear that they are wearing, but by the skins they are wearing.

Think of it as if when you hit max level in your current MMO you could go to an NPC and buy the best gear. Now you go and do some end game events and get the gear skins and wear them. People now know that you have done the event. When a new event is put into the game there will be new gear skins for that event. Now you do that event for the skins so you can stand around looking cool in that gear.

Everyone knows the content you have done by the gear skins you are wearing. You just have to change your thinking a bit to realize it's the same thing.

Vivik-Cerberus
    Originally posted by colddog04

Quality name Item color
    Junk Gray
    Common White
    Fine Blue
    Masterwork Green
    Rare Yellow
    Exotic Orange
    Legendary Red
    Mystic Purple

Ah that's the chart I was looking for.

Note that at level 20ish, I started being fully decked with Masterwork weapons on my Warrior, without even trying.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Quality name Item color
    Junk Gray
    Common White
    Fine Blue
    Masterwork Green
    Rare Yellow
    Exotic Orange
    Legendary Red
    Mystic Purple

Ah that's the chart I was looking for.

Note that at level 20ish, I started being fully decked with Masterwork weapons on my Warrior, without even trying.

Yeah, I was crafting greens as well.

Is green pretty much the final tier in stats?

• TakitonTakiton Member Posts: 73

Weapons and armors were a huge motivating factor in GW1.  A few had situational stat advantages but primarily it was the appearance.  

It did not detract from the game for me.  You get the same feel of omg look at that guy when you see them in full obs armor as you do when you see somone with the omg they have the latest tier raid armor... oooohs and ahhhs can then insue.  TItles to a lesser degree, HOM (a place to house your weapon and armor achivements) was also nice.

To be honest, nobody knows I think (except the closed beta testers maybe?).

EDIT: Here's a comparison between a level 32 masterwork and rare axe. Seems to be similar:

http://www.gw2db.com/data/items/48201-invaders-axe

http://www.gw2db.com/data/items/22336-ascalonian-axe-of-debility

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

The best level 80 items are obtainable through, PvP, PvE (solo or group), crafting. The legendary items won't be more powerful, they will just have a badass apparence.

Yeah there's a "color code" progression, but there are no gear tiers. Once you have the best stats, any new gear you get will be purely cosmetical, and won't make you even more powerful. It's not like WoW where every new raid tier or PvP season makes the previous gear obsolete.

Where am i saying that is the same thing as WOW? haha

I´m only saying that gw2 HAS gear progression.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Why do people want to "work" in video games? 

Actually don't answer that, you don't want to work, you just want something that other people don't have time to get.

If you want to "work" for phat lootz, why not start grinding on your first Bugatti Veyron?  It'll be way better than a +5 vorpal sword of doom. Leave the games for people who want to be entertained, go work for real life loot!

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

God forbid someone plays the game and get rewards to show they accomplished something through their actual skill in the game and not their persistence on the gear treadmill.

I'm a powergamer and I like the idea of cosmetic rewards more than gear upgrades.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

PS: and no, it doesn't surprise me that people don't want to "work" in a video game - they want "fun" ;)

The OP has a valid point.

And, The_Korrigan, don't cnofuse effort with work..  Putting in effort to aquire an item in an MMO is fun to a lot of gamers.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

EDIT: Here's a comparison between a level 32 masterwork and rare axe. Seems to be similar:

Actually I'm level 62 in the beta weekends and the green armor around 50 is equivalent to the yellow Ascalon Catacombs armor in stats.  Would be safe to assume green is the final tier in terms of stats.

Originally posted by BrooksTech

The OP has a valid point.

And, The_Korrigan, don't cnofuse effort with work..  Putting in effort to aquire an item in an MMO is fun to a lot of gamers.

Effort to aquire items still exists in GW2. I think that's where the original poster's point falls flat. You will have to get a solid set of gear that matches your build well first. Then, if you want to, you can spend "effort" on getting cosmetic items that you like.

And if you want to have multiple builds, you will have to aquire gear that fits that new build. Putting in effort to aquire things is definitely part of the design of this game.

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Actually I'm level 62 in the beta weekends and the green armor around 50 is equivalent to the yellow Ascalon Catacombs armor in stats.  Would be safe to assume green is the final tier in terms of stats.

AH nice, it confirms my comparison then :)

So Masterwork are the best stats of the game, everything above is just more "badass" looking (and obviously harder to get) but doesn't make you more powerful. And Masterwork can be quite easily crafted, so when hitting 80, people won't have too much of a problem getting full Masterwork for World vs World.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !