Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I Screwed?

Comments

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by vigg2004

I'm not a "twitchy" gamer.  I'm a middle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination.  I'm not good at kiting or strafing.  Is there any place for me in GW2, or will I just get mutilated?

You will be fine dude, it's all about getting enough practice. As long as you enjoy yourself, don't worry about what others think.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

People are going to tell you that you'll be fine because fanboys constantly try to sell their favorite game and convince everyone that they will enjoy it. It wouldn't matter if someone said they hated anything that isn't a pure sandbox FFA PvP gankfest. People would still try to talk them into buying GW2.

The truth? No, dog, you're screwed. If you can't dodge attacks in real-time, you won't make it far at all. Don't listen to people telling you to just play a ranged class, either. You must kite if you want to play ranged in this game. Your only hope is to find a group of players who are willing to carry you through every encounter, in which case you might as well be AFK.

EDIT: You other hope is to, you know, learn how to play. If you're interested in the game, then... yeah... do that one.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

People are going to tell you that you'll be fine because fanboys constantly try to sell their favorite game and convince everyone that they will enjoy it. It wouldn't matter if someone said they hated anything that isn't a pure sandbox FFA PvP gankfest. People would still try to talk them into buying GW2.

The truth? No, dog, you're screwed. If you can't dodge attacks in real-time, you won't make it far at all. Don't listen to people telling you to just play a ranged class, either. You must kite if you want to play ranged in this game. Your only hope is to find a group of players who are willing to carry you through every encounter, in which case you might as well be AFK.

EDIT: You other hope is to, you know, learn how to play. If you're interested in the game, then... yeah... do that one.

thats not even true on the ranged part ive played a elementalist to level 30 so far and its far from hard to do. Kiting yes a little but nothing at all challenging . This game is far from twitch , tera is twitch . If you can use one keybind dodge then you can even play melee fine. world vs world also is major scale pvp , you can easily blend right in if you are not trying to solo and not stress yourself out on being super fast on the hotkeys. If you go out ganking solo or small group , yes you can die if you are not faster or more clever then the other player your facing. But in terms of how hard the game is by far not at all . Put it this way , I got a guy thats in his 40s that hates pvp with a passion and twitch games playing with us. We talked smack to him on facebook about how hes going to hate GW2 , now he never shuts up about how much fun it is and how fun the world vs world is.

Originally posted by cronius77

thats not even true on the ranged part ive played a elementalist to level 30 so far and its far from hard to do. Kiting yes a little but nothing at all challenging . This game is far from twitch , tera is twitch . If you can use one keybind dodge then you can even play melee fine. world vs world also is major scale pvp , you can easily blend right in if you are not trying to solo and not stress yourself out on being super fast on the hotkeys. If you go out ganking solo or small group , yes you can die if you are not faster or more clever then the other player your facing. But in terms of how hard the game is by far not at all . Put it this way , I got a guy thats in his 40s that hates pvp with a passion and twitch games playing with us. We talked smack to him on facebook about how hes going to hate GW2 , now he never shuts up about how much fun it is and how fun the world vs world is.

This is true, also remember there are 10 or 8 year old girls who plays this game and they are doing fine. So, you will do just fine.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

GW2 is a game for every1  :)   doesnt matter   even if you will not be best you still can have fun.  Fun is a purpose of any game :)))

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

Not likely. GW2 is far less twitchy than GW1. Even though interrupt is still part of gameplay, there is no more activation bar to prompt you to interrupt enemy. So it'll serve less importance in the game.

Strategy become more stressed than combat dynamics. It becomes more like a game of Go than Chess. If that analogy make sense >.>

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

According to GW2 Census data, Rangers are most popular among the older folks. There was some discussion as to why, and I think the general agreement was that they were most old school friendly/easy to control. I can't speak for the truth of this myself as I haven't tried Rangers, but I'd give them a try yourself if you're worried.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by lightblade

Not likely. GW2 is far less twitchy than GW1. Even though interrupt is still part of gameplay, there is no more activation bar to prompt you to interrupt enemy. So it'll serve less importance in the game.

Strategy become more stressed than combat dynamics. It becomes more like a game of Go than Chess. If that analogy make sense >.>

I can't agree with this at all, sorry.

Guild Wars 1 had a lot of skill rotation/auto-attack. Two classes just involved having summons do the work for you. The cooldowns were all slower and combat in general was much less active. The one exception would be the mesmer of GW1, who did actually need to react quickly.

Guild Wars 2 has dodging, tactical positioning, active management of summons, quick cooldowns, etc.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

I don't know the OP experience, but the game is mildly twitchy compared to some older games he probably played at it's time, like Quake where you shoot air born people or need to master strafe jumping to move properly. If anything you need to force yourself to slow down. But ye the combat is based on twitch, it's not auto face, but is there any mmo where you auto face anyway? I think OP make a bigger deal of it, than it really is.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

According to GW2 Census data, Rangers are most popular among the older folks. There was some discussion as to why, and I think the general agreement was that they were most old school friendly/easy to control. I can't speak for the truth of this myself as I haven't tried Rangers, but I'd give them a try yourself if you're worried.

having played a ranger also into my 20s with him I cannot agree with this being true even though obviously the data pointing to it is. The ranger is tons more micromanagement then any other class besides maybe a warrior, and i dont mean a bad one weapon warrior. Ranger has to switch from melee to ranged or short and long bow and on top of that manage a pet that is poorly designed UI for the pet and unresponsive. I found the ranger to be annoying at best for best bang for your buck class. Infact most players just let their pets die in world vs world as it takes forever to revive them and they die so easily its annoying to even manage , yet they give up about 25% of their damage and snares by doing so which IMO is very very stupid of the player. But back on topic the ranger i would not suggest in a million years unless you want a ton of micromanagement.

He will get used to it after playing for a bit.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

OK, thanks all, this gives me some hope.  What is kiting like as a ranger, is it jump kiting like a hunter in WoW?

hunter in wow is not jump kiting, you got your pet wich takes all the agro and damage so mostly you just stand still and fire up.

if you mean in raid someitmes hunter can kite mobs but what comes to jumping? its just some players style to play.

now i gw2 you play as ranger and again you got pet who takes the agro and damage and you just fire up on pvp you can easily stand on rooftops and shoot and just remember to keep distance, of course you can use shortbow wich fires faster and is mainly used at close quaerters, but what comes to ranger class the 2 handed sword ranger seems to be quite good.

so back to your original question, yea you can play with your slow reaction time and non strafing cause ive seen lot of people play just like that standing still =)

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

I'm not a "twitchy" gamer.  I'm a middle-aged man with questionable reaction time and coordination.  I'm not good at kiting or strafing.  Is there any place for me in GW2, or will I just get mutilated?

on PvE e WvW you will have no problem, especially if you go ranged. on sPvP not matter if you go ranged or melee, need to have lot of reflex

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

It depends on your own level of "twitch" really OP.

First off, you don't have to worry to much. GW2 isn't an action game. it doesn't require teh level of precision and reaction a hack-&-slash, fighting, racing, FPS, etc would. However, it's not as simple as your standart mmo cpmbat either.

The combat system in the game is indeed teh same old, but, it as received certain chances to make it alot more "actiony" or arcade-like, to be more exact.

The biggest amount of "twicth" will come from movement. Normal mmo combat is standing still most of the times. In GW2, you move while casting. There's also 2 dodges availabes (before you can't use it anymore do to cooldown). These will be very important for AOE attacks, which will be comon in PVE. So, constant movement and dodging and spacial awareness is key, but it's also not as fast paced as action games, IMO. Again, it stands in between.

It's also still a tab targetting game with cooldowns. However, there's no GDC, only for each individual skill. So, you won't be looking at bars most of your time, but you still have to manage it.

Finally, i don't find it to be a "rotation" game. Yes, you can have a preset strategy, but most skills are situational. There will still be alot of buffing, slowing down, etc, but, for exmaple a warrior, you can use "throw Axe" to cripple your enemy and use another skill to close the gap like "Leap" and attack. Like i said, it's not as fast paced and precision required as an action game, but not the same either.

In the end OP, try to get into the BWE and see for yourself. And remember, if you feel you're not the that much of a good player, don't worry. it's all about having fun. image

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

50 yrs old and a clicker! Yet somehow I managed to stay effective with my Mesmer. I really don't think you need to worry OP unless you intend on doing tournament PvP, everything else (PvE and WvW) you'll be fine :)

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

For anything other than performing in structured PVP at a very high level, no, it won't matter.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

Don't worry. At beginning u don't need skill or be good with strafe/dodge/kite. There will be a lot other people around you. Later u can develop skills or be lazy and let others do job for you. It's a MMO, after all. :)

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by GriselBrand
    Originally posted by Tayah

Roll an elementalist or a ranger and you'll be fine. Melee will be harder for you. My mom who is 58 and doesn't have the best reaction and coordination was mopping the floor with people in pvp during beta weekends with an elementalist. She found it to be the easiest class for pve and pvp. She does use a G13 and a razer naga too though.

Your mom plays GW2 and she is 58? That is awesome. Aside from me and my bro, everyone shuns gaming in my family.

OT: You'll be fine. Reaction time and coordination matters most in competitive PvP, dw abt it. As many have suggested play with friends or find a guild for harder PvE content.

Regarding range and melee, try both. There will be situations where one is better then the other, so why limit yourself? No harm in trying. Also, a smart player > quick reaction anyday.

Yah she's a pretty cool mom. I often wonder how many people would rage if they knew they just got pwned by Granny image Hopefully, she doesn't see me calling her Granny, LOL. She does kick butt in pvp though.image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ictownictown Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

It depends on your own level of "twitch" really OP.

First off, you don't have to worry to much. GW2 isn't an action game. it doesn't require teh level of precision and reaction a hack-&-slash, fighting, racing, FPS, etc would. However, it's not as simple as your standart mmo cpmbat either.

The combat system in the game is indeed teh same old, but, it as received certain chances to make it alot more "actiony" or arcade-like, to be more exact.

The biggest amount of "twicth" will come from movement. Normal mmo combat is standing still most of the times. In GW2, you move while casting. There's also 2 dodges availabes (before you can't use it anymore do to cooldown). These will be very important for AOE attacks, which will be comon in PVE. So, constant movement and dodging and spacial awareness is key, but it's also not as fast paced as action games, IMO. Again, it stands in between.

It's also still a tab targetting game with cooldowns. However, there's no GDC, only for each individual skill. So, you won't be looking at bars most of your time, but you still have to manage it.

Finally, i don't find it to be a "rotation" game. Yes, you can have a preset strategy, but most skills are situational. There will still be alot of buffing, slowing down, etc, but, for exmaple a warrior, you can use "throw Axe" to cripple your enemy and use another skill to close the gap like "Leap" and attack. Like i said, it's not as fast paced and precision required as an action game, but not the same either.

In the end OP, try to get into the BWE and see for yourself. And remember, if you feel you're not the that much of a good player, don't worry. it's all about having fun. image

i disagree with you saying its not fast paced as some action games of course not to to extent as to fps games, I suppose it depends whos playing it.  and like you said, it's all about having fun.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

You have a place for sure. While professions like the Warrior or Thief maybe twitchy, some of the other professions will allow you to spread your wings a bit more. The Guardian could you provide a wide range of personal styles, with weapons like the Scepter and the Staff being less twitchy than the melee weapons. Of course, elementalist and necro will offer you a better experience due to the amount of range and GTAoE skills they offer.

Cheers!

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

I'm 43. Knuckle up and practice. Get a Razer Naga or something similar so you can keep your left fingers firmly planted on wasd and map all skills to thumb buttons on naga.

Playing these games will improve your hand eye coordination and keep your brain sharp as you age. All our parents did was drink beer and stare at the tv when they aged and their mental cognitive abilities degraded as a result. Take advantage of GW2 and exercise the muscle between your ears.

edit- I play an in your face melee warrior twitching my ass off. You can too.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I"m a spring chicken compared to you OP, and I found little to no need to strafe or dance around while playing ranged weapons in GW2.

I saw some people do it, but it just wasn't necessary. Unless you start talking pvp.

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

@OP

Well If you're trying to get into really competitive sPvP you probably won't be able to keep up with many of other people trying to do the same, however if you just want to dip into it for fun you should be just fine as I believe there will be a sort of ranking system keeping you against other players of similar skill level.  But even if not I saw more players that failed to understand simple GW2 basics then anything else. I wouldn't be too worried.

As For WvW I believe it can be fun for just about anybody, especially with the right guild. It's more of an organized effort then self reliance that gets you anywhere in this area.

And for the PvE I can't be sure, didn't play much of it.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Thanks all, I think I'll give it a shot.  Ranger or necro, most likely!  Appreciate all the help.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

You will be fine and have lots of fun!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".