Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Best MOBA game poll

DonY81DonY81 RochesterPosts: 350Member

Guys i only recently discovered this genre of game ( a little sad maybe).

Got to say i found SMITE last night and really enjoyed it. I decided to find out more and there are quite a few now to name so to break it down i wanted to know what is probably the most liked game out there right now. A brief explanation would always be nice too.

 

I may miss some so please elighten me as i mentioned above completely new to this type of game.

 

Thanks

 

Don

 

p.s forgot to put other in the poll and cant seem to correct. ignore  Demigod and go with the other 5 (Demigod will be "OTher in this case "

 

 

image
«134

Comments

  • MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon

    Leagues of Legends(LoL) is the most played, mainly because it's the most newbie-friendly. It doesn't have as many intricate systems as DOTA 2, which makes it far more accessible.

     

    DOTA 2 on the other hand, isn't very newbie-friendly. It requires the player to manage not only his hero, but also the gold flow within his lane, as well warding and ganking. By controlling the gold flow, I mean that it's possible to "Deny"(kill) allied units, allied towers and allied heroes when their health is very low, preventing the enemy from getting a Gold reward (thus making it much harder for them to acquire their items). DOTA 2 matches aren't always one-sided (unlike other MOBAs), there's plenty of room to make comebacks if your team plays it's cards right. There are also a lot less "quitters" (It is not rare for matches in LoL or HoN to end at the 15 minutes mark as teams often choose to concede the match the moment they start losing).

     

    HoN can be ignored, as it was based on DOTA 1 (with DOTA 1 heroes)  but has since been replaced by the "release" of DOTA 2 (which contains the same heroes as DOTA 1, but the development team is headed by IceFrog one of the major modder who worked on DOTA 1 ... that and it's published by Valve.)

    As for SMITE and other MOBAs, I haven't played those so I won't comment.

     

    You've probably noticed by now that I favor DOTA 2 quite a bit over LoL and other MOBAs. I truly believe that DOTA 2 is more fun than LoL, however the learning curve is the steepest of all MOBAs and can make it very hard for newer players to learn the ropes. LoL is very accessible however, and that definitively puts LoL at an advantage.

     

    That pretty much covers it all.

    ------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Huntsville, ALPosts: 1,365Member Uncommon

    i have not played any of them, i clicked the first one to see the results.

  • ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon

    As a LoL player I can say that every since I started with just the launch champs and older strategies I can say the LoL is the best MOBA around for several reasons. 

    1. Easy to get into, Challenging to master.  The leveling systen and rune system are perfect placements to make sure new players are playing against players of similar skill and give them PLENTY of time to learn the game and champions of choice before lvl 30(and trust me you will need it, ranked and premade 5's is no noobs playground).  Mastery and runes take it to the next level and for me were more of a wake of call of "Ok what can I do here, How can i maximize effectiveness here" etc etc.

    2. Constantly Changing, No "Meta playstyles"- Champions being released frequently along with balance patches make for unique gameplay.  Yea there will always be a sort of commonly banned champions but thats granted to happen in every game, and life goes on since Riot recognizes what their community is saying, and what needs to be tweaked in order to provide the most balanced and optimal experience. 

    3. Insane customization- No one is ever really the same in LoL.  You get to play how you want, where you want, and in any way you see fit.  From the champion you pick to how you play them the amount of freedom in this game is overwhelming compared to others, and is constantly being expanded. 

    Now I have played other MOBA's such as smite, DOTA 2, and HON.  I dont really enjoy HON, but I do enjoy DOTA 2.  However I respect what they all bring to the table.  This is just personal preference, I think LoL take the best out of every flavor and combines it into the best.  Its a cant-miss for MOBA players, and a great entry into the genre that will get you hooked. 

    Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

  • bishbosh2bishbosh2 SydneyPosts: 66Member
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

    As a LoL player I can say that every since I started with just the launch champs and older strategies I can say the LoL is the best MOBA around for several reasons. 

    1. Easy to get into, Challenging to master.  The leveling systen and rune system are perfect placements to make sure new players are playing against players of similar skill and give them PLENTY of time to learn the game and champions of choice before lvl 30(and trust me you will need it, ranked and premade 5's is no noobs playground).  Mastery and runes take it to the next level and for me were more of a wake of call of "Ok what can I do here, How can i maximize effectiveness here" etc etc.

    2. Constantly Changing, No "Meta playstyles"- Champions being released frequently along with balance patches make for unique gameplay.  Yea there will always be a sort of commonly banned champions but thats granted to happen in every game, and life goes on since Riot recognizes what their community is saying, and what needs to be tweaked in order to provide the most balanced and optimal experience. 

    3. Insane customization- No one is ever really the same in LoL.  You get to play how you want, where you want, and in any way you see fit.  From the champion you pick to how you play them the amount of freedom in this game is overwhelming compared to others, and is constantly being expanded. 

    Now I have played other MOBA's such as smite, DOTA 2, and HON.  I dont really enjoy HON, but I do enjoy DOTA 2.  However I respect what they all bring to the table.  This is just personal preference, I think LoL take the best out of every flavor and combines it into the best.  Its a cant-miss for MOBA players, and a great entry into the genre that will get you hooked. 

    1. LoL has a fairly low skill cap compared to DOTA/HON. i wouldnt say it is challenging to master when there are 2 games out there with significantly higher skill caps

    2. dude have u even played LoL.   tanky DPS top lane, nuker middle lane, ranged AD + support bot lane and tanky jungler has been the meta since season 1...  compare this to DOTA where lanes are much more varied. you can tri lane, jungle, no jungle, roam etc etc. if you dont follow the meta in LoL u lose, go and try tri laning- you will get reported and banned...

    3. i agree there is a large degree of customisation possible through runes and masteries and items but due to poor balance everyone ussually runs the same runes, items and masteries for a given hero because it is the best set up

     

    LoL is good as a casual game but as soon as you want to play to win and are somewhat serious its glaring flaws become apparent. ranked games involve farming like 90% of the time, passive play is simply too effective. get out jail free cards like flash,low damage/HP ratios and OP tower damage make it very difficult to gank resulting in stagnant rice fest gameplay. 

    In DOTA only 1 hero hardcore farms whereas in LoL only 1 hero doesnt hardcore farm. in dota you can even run a push strat or early game strat when no one farms. there is very little freedom in LoL.

    you probably havent played LoL enough to notice all of this.

  • QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common

    DotA has more profound effects than LoL. I wouldn't say it is balanced but rather more or less evenly imbalanced. Ganking is easier in DotA too, so there's more kills on both sides. LoL is balanced (although the new champions are purposefully overpowered so people would buy them), has most people playing it and is very accessible. Largest price pool on the tournaments too if you're going for e-sport. LoL has also tried to introduce new gamemodes/maps such as Dominion and the unofficial ARAM (all-random champions, 5on5, single lane).

    What I hear from Smite is that it is unpolished and currently suffers from severe imbalance, but otherwise it is nothing but a regular MOBA albeit from a different camera angle. It is quite sad really that they didn't utilise it in their gameplay. As it is, the 3rd person view is just a gimmick.

    When I was playing Demigod there were useless heroes and must-have heroes. The game looked good, played nice, had some original ideas unlike some other MOBAs, but there were too few maps, too few heroes, server and stability issues etc. Its a shame this game faded as it did. It had promise. I enjoyed it very much when I played it.

    HoN is a shameful copy of DotA. You're better of playing the original, or DotA 2 when it comes out.

    Haven't tried RotI.

    I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,706Member Uncommon

    Voting for HON or DOTA2 is a bit like voting for another 4 years of WOW clones.

    Meanwhile League of Legends is the WOW of the DOTA world.  Like WOW it's a game which wasn't afraid to eliminate as much stupid shit from the genre as possible and carry the design of the genre forward instead of letting it stagnate.

    But hopefully unlike WOW we don't see another 4 years of LOL clones.  It's promising that we've already seen SMNC come out and be surprisingly fun (given how lame MNC was), and that Smite also has a lot of potential (basically the SMNC model implemented by a dev team I have more faith in.)

    I also look forward to Blizzard DOTA (or whatever it's called now.)  Basically I'm in favor of all games which attempt to use game design muscle and don't just carbon copy a previous game (as if that game had zero problems and was perfectly designed.)

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • AmorphaAmorpha Cupertino, CAPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt

    Voting for HON or DOTA2 is a bit like voting for another 4 years of WOW clones.

    Meanwhile League of Legends is the WOW of the DOTA world.  Like WOW it's a game which wasn't afraid to eliminate as much stupid shit from the genre as possible and carry the design of the genre forward instead of letting it stagnate.

    But hopefully unlike WOW we don't see another 4 years of LOL clones.  It's promising that we've already seen SMNC come out and be surprisingly fun (given how lame MNC was), and that Smite also has a lot of potential (basically the SMNC model implemented by a dev team I have more faith in.)

    I also look forward to Blizzard DOTA (or whatever it's called now.)  Basically I'm in favor of all games which attempt to use game design muscle and don't just carbon copy a previous game (as if that game had zero problems and was perfectly designed.)

    DotA 2 wasn't meant to pump out as much expansions/content. DotA 2 was meant to create better graphics, better mechanics in the game, better UI, better matchmaking etc. As you may or may not know, DotA's matchmaking system was just to find a game by DotACash/BGN/Whatever else hosting bots, join it, hope there are no trolls/leavers/stompers. DotA 2 is a clone, yes, because its MEANT to be a clone. When Valve took in Icefrog, they weren't trying to change the game completely, they were trying to make DotA better.

    LoL has many more players because its much more appealing to the newbies. It has easier last hitting, easier skill/item mechanics, and its much more forgiving than DotA. Its hero skill mechanics are easier, there are less item actives, no gold penalty on death, towers hit harder, easier jungle, static terrain, less juking spots, etc. I could go on.

    Blizzard DotA is just Blizz's attempt to save itself after it loses much of its playerbase to DotA 2. Compared to LoL or DotA, you don't see many people talking about it. I expect that it won't do very well at all.

     

  • HellSingsHellSings Toronto, ONPosts: 185Member

    Dota 2 for life <3

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,706Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    DotA 2 wasn't meant to pump out as much expansions/content. DotA 2 was meant to create better graphics, better mechanics in the game, better UI, better matchmaking etc. As you may or may not know, DotA's matchmaking system was just to find a game by DotACash/BGN/Whatever else hosting bots, join it, hope there are no trolls/leavers/stompers. DotA 2 is a clone, yes, because its MEANT to be a clone. When Valve took in Icefrog, they weren't trying to change the game completely, they were trying to make DotA better.

    LoL has many more players because its much more appealing to the newbies. It has easier last hitting, easier skill/item mechanics, and its much more forgiving than DotA. Its hero skill mechanics are easier, there are less item actives, no gold penalty on death, towers hit harder, easier jungle, static terrain, less juking spots, etc. I could go on.

    Blizzard DotA is just Blizz's attempt to save itself after it loses much of its playerbase to DotA 2. Compared to LoL or DotA, you don't see many people talking about it. I expect that it won't do very well at all. 

    If you think "much of its playerbase" is playing War3 and not WOW/SC2, I don't know what to tell you.

    If you think WOW clones are justified by intentionally being close to WOW's design, I have a forum of players here at MMORPG.com who might have a few words for you.

    Don't get me wrong, intentionally making a clone can work (CS:Source) but such games are irrelevant upon game launch and people are already moving on to other games (I loved CS, but probably played CS:S a few weeks total.)  Players want new games (which is why WOW cloning isn't exactly a safe venture, and the real money is in making something new.)

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • AmorphaAmorpha Cupertino, CAPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    DotA 2 wasn't meant to pump out as much expansions/content. DotA 2 was meant to create better graphics, better mechanics in the game, better UI, better matchmaking etc. As you may or may not know, DotA's matchmaking system was just to find a game by DotACash/BGN/Whatever else hosting bots, join it, hope there are no trolls/leavers/stompers. DotA 2 is a clone, yes, because its MEANT to be a clone. When Valve took in Icefrog, they weren't trying to change the game completely, they were trying to make DotA better.

    LoL has many more players because its much more appealing to the newbies. It has easier last hitting, easier skill/item mechanics, and its much more forgiving than DotA. Its hero skill mechanics are easier, there are less item actives, no gold penalty on death, towers hit harder, easier jungle, static terrain, less juking spots, etc. I could go on.

    Blizzard DotA is just Blizz's attempt to save itself after it loses much of its playerbase to DotA 2. Compared to LoL or DotA, you don't see many people talking about it. I expect that it won't do very well at all. 

    If you think "much of its playerbase" is playing War3 and not WOW/SC2, I don't know what to tell you.

    If you think WOW clones are justified by intentionally being close to WOW's design, I have a forum of players here at MMORPG.com who might have a few words for you.

    Don't get me wrong, intentionally making a clone can work (CS:Source) but such games are irrelevant upon game launch and people are already moving on to other games (I loved CS, but probably played CS:S a few weeks total.)  Players want new games (which is why WOW cloning isn't exactly a safe venture, and the real money is in making something new.)

    Did you read my post? I said it was meant to be a clone, and that the purpose of DotA 2 was to improve on existing features. I never mentioned anything about WoW clones or how they were intentionally similar to WoW, I said how DotA 2 was intentionally similar to DotA. 

  • omega78omega78 ..., CTPosts: 260Member

    I went for League, the easy to get into setup makes it a rather nice game to jump into...best or not though, every MOBAs community is garbage .-.

    Per...So...Na...

  • RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,228Member Uncommon

    I voted dota2 but there's a big caveat.

    Dota 2 takes time to learn. A lot of it. It's greatest strength is its depth and it's greatest weakness is the actual fighting. It is a game that keeps on giving the more you put into it, but combat outcome is rarely decided during combat.

    This is LoL's strength, the game is build around agressive play and hero combat, and it shows. They simplified most of the game and built it around hero interaction during combat. You can take more hits, perform more actions and bring more of an impact based on individual skill in every fight.

     

    In Dota you are punished for everything, I don't just mean that you lose gold when you are killed, but for every action and decision you make from the moment you click "Find game".

    Hero selection is extremely important, both in terms of building a good team synergy as well as having counters to the opposing team. Sometimes you can tell just by the heros during selection which team will win.

    Starting items must be purchased wisely and based on your role in the group. Everytime you have to go back to base, you are giving an advantage to the opposing team, both in exp and gold. The map is bigger than in LoL so it takes more time to run back and forth - there is no free port (some exceptions).

    When minions spawn you have to body block them and walk in front of them. If you do this wrong or forget to do this you give away ganking opportunities, gold and exp. If both team do it properly, the minions will meet in the middle. If one teams doesn't, then they will be fighting by your tower for the first 2-3 waves.

    Last hits/ Denies are harder in dota as you have to know every hero's swing timer and damage.

    The list goes on. It's every little thing.

     

    Fights are over very quickly in dota as well, positioning, which skills you used in what order can decide the entire fight. And once it's started, it's over.

     

    I like LoL too, it's more relaxed and has more back and forth, it just doesn't go to eleven.

  • EcocesEcoces Chicago, ILPosts: 879Member Uncommon

    i voted LoL but i think Smite will be my choice once they add more gods, its just much more fun for me playing in third person mode and getting into the combat than games like LoL or Dota.

     

    sorry but im not going to beat my chest like an ape because game A is more Tedious than game B to prove my manhood. I play games to have fun and DOTA was just plain tedious. I mean I could watch grass grown but that doesn't mean i want to do it or should brag about it.

     

    so congrats you play DOTA 2 and enjoy it, doesn't mean you are a better gamer, doesn't mean you have more self worth than someone who plays LoL it means you play a different video game.

     

    at the end of the day were both losers who to the rest of the non gaming world can't believe we would spend so much time wasting our lives sitting in front of the computer screen

     

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,706Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    Did you read my post? I said it was meant to be a clone, and that the purpose of DotA 2 was to improve on existing features. I never mentioned anything about WoW clones or how they were intentionally similar to WoW, I said how DotA 2 was intentionally similar to DotA. 

    Sure I read your post.  I'm giving you the reason DOTA2's success will fall flat: it's a clone, and just like MMORPG clones it inevitably isn't the "new game" players want and so any success it enjoys will be shorter lived than genuinely new games.  (Worse yet, DOTA2 in MMORPG terms is cloning UO rather than cloning WOW.  So it's not even cloning the step forward the genre has taken, it's cloning an older model.)

    Just because it isn't meant to be a new game doesn't change my original post you replied to.

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • AmorphaAmorpha Cupertino, CAPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    Did you read my post? I said it was meant to be a clone, and that the purpose of DotA 2 was to improve on existing features. I never mentioned anything about WoW clones or how they were intentionally similar to WoW, I said how DotA 2 was intentionally similar to DotA. 

    Sure I read your post.  I'm giving you the reason DOTA2's success will fall flat: it's a clone, and just like MMORPG clones it inevitably isn't the "new game" players want and so any success it enjoys will be shorter lived than genuinely new games.  (Worse yet, DOTA2 in MMORPG terms is cloning UO rather than cloning WOW.  So it's not even cloning the step forward the genre has taken, it's cloning an older model.)

    Just because it isn't meant to be a new game doesn't change my original post you replied to.

    It's success will fall flat? Please, explain to me why DotA 2 is overtaking LoL in competetive E-Sports while it's in CB. You assume that most players want the "new game". However, on the contrary, you see people on DIII crying about how it isn't like DII, a 10+ year old game. You see people longing for vanilla WoW, or EQ&EQ2. Based on the recent feedback players have given, I would say that they don't need completely different content/gameplay.

  • helthroshelthros Miami, FLPosts: 1,449Member

    I've only really played LoL and dabbbled in HoN so my experience is limited. I never played DOTA.

     

    Having said that, what I truly hate about LoL is the absolute necessity to farm creeps in order to be useful. It's so boring and tedius that it starts to wear on me. I want to focus on killing or avoiding being killed, not farming little npc minions.

  • MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    Did you read my post? I said it was meant to be a clone, and that the purpose of DotA 2 was to improve on existing features. I never mentioned anything about WoW clones or how they were intentionally similar to WoW, I said how DotA 2 was intentionally similar to DotA. 

    Sure I read your post.  I'm giving you the reason DOTA2's success will fall flat: it's a clone, and just like MMORPG clones it inevitably isn't the "new game" players want and so any success it enjoys will be shorter lived than genuinely new games.  (Worse yet, DOTA2 in MMORPG terms is cloning UO rather than cloning WOW.  So it's not even cloning the step forward the genre has taken, it's cloning an older model.)

    Just because it isn't meant to be a new game doesn't change my original post you replied to.

    To begin with, the MOBA community is very different from MMORPG community. I'd say it's much closer to the FPS community, as it's exist in a very competitive environment, which is not the case for MMORPGs. The need of a "new game" is not as present as it is with MMORPGs.

    You are wrong to assume DOTA 2 will fall flat. It is in fact, doing very well despite still not quite having released (the cash shop has on the other hand). DOTA 1 had a very strong playerbase, as well as worldwide tournaments, but there was 2 major issues with it : WC3 Limitations and Leavers. DOTA 2 takes away all those limitations and has strict rules against Leavers (or any rude players). DOTA 2's F2P model is also far superior to LoL or HoN, in that you have access to ALL heroes for free, unlike other MOBAs where you only have a small amount of Free Champions and others must be purchased.

    Essentially, DOTA 2 isn't about cloning DOTA 1, but to simply port DOTA 1 outside of the WC3 Map Editor limitations with IceFrog at it's head. DOTA 2 will be a very succesful title, as is/was DOTA 1.

    ------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,706Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    It's success will fall flat? Please, explain to me why DotA 2 is overtaking LoL in competetive E-Sports while it's in CB. You assume that most players want the "new game". However, on the contrary, you see people on DIII crying about how it isn't like DII, a 10+ year old game. You see people longing for vanilla WoW, or EQ&EQ2. Based on the recent feedback players have given, I would say that they don't need completely different content/gameplay.

    Really?  Would you care to post any substantial "overtaking LOL" numbers?

    D3's failures are for different reasons, and certainly if D3 was D2 with updated graphics it would've flopped bigtime.

    People do long for vanilla WOW, of course.  But "people" in this case means a tiny fraction of players who somehow didn't see TBC as an obviously superior expansion.  The rest?  Well the subsequent expansions were the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) expansions to an aging game so no surprise that their popularity waned (well..as much as a game with the most subscribers can "wane" anyway...)

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • AmorphaAmorpha Cupertino, CAPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    It's success will fall flat? Please, explain to me why DotA 2 is overtaking LoL in competetive E-Sports while it's in CB. You assume that most players want the "new game". However, on the contrary, you see people on DIII crying about how it isn't like DII, a 10+ year old game. You see people longing for vanilla WoW, or EQ&EQ2. Based on the recent feedback players have given, I would say that they don't need completely different content/gameplay.

    Really?  Would you care to post any substantial "overtaking LOL" numbers?

    D3's failures are for different reasons, and certainly if D3 was D2 with updated graphics it would've flopped bigtime.

    People do long for vanilla WOW, of course.  But "people" in this case means a tiny fraction of players who somehow didn't see TBC as an obviously superior expansion.  The rest?  Well the subsequent expansions were the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) expansions to an aging game so no surprise that their popularity waned (well..as much as a game with the most subscribers can "wane" anyway...)

    DotA 2 will be overtaking LoL in the competetive scene, not in numbers. There will always be more MOBA-Newbs flocking to LoL. LoL will be replaced by DotA 2 in this year's coming WCG.

    Yes, TBC was a superior expansion, but that was back in early 2007, 5 years ago. As you stated, the WotLK and Cata's popularity shrunk, and were more of a disappointment. However, I would say 5 years is a fairly large time frame considering how games have exponentially increased in quality.

  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,706Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    DotA 2 will be overtaking LoL in the competetive scene, not in numbers. There will always be more MOBA-Newbs flocking to LoL. LoL will be replaced by DotA 2 in this year's coming WCG.

    Oh, so the "overtaking" thing was just an opinion.  Right.

     

    "Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

  • ZooceZooce B, FLPosts: 586Member

    LoL best imo.

  • AmorphaAmorpha Cupertino, CAPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    DotA 2 will be overtaking LoL in the competetive scene, not in numbers. There will always be more MOBA-Newbs flocking to LoL. LoL will be replaced by DotA 2 in this year's coming WCG.

    Oh, so the "overtaking" thing was just an opinion.  Right.

     

    Again, read my post. I said it will be taking it over in the competetive scene. The competetive scene is different from a bunch of unorganized noobs stomping eachother in games.

  • zonovazonova franklin, TNPosts: 34Member
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    LoL has many more players because its much more appealing to the newbiesll.

     

     

    People say that, and while it amy be true that Dota has a bit mroe complexity then LoL, i don't think that's the reason less people play it. I simply think that it's because of the f2p moel that LoL took off. It's an extremely fun game that isn't as much of a  Dota clone as HoN was. And maybe a professional LoL player can answer your questions about whether Dota is better than LoL (This guy used to play Dota).

     

    http://ggchronicle.com/hotshotgg-interview-iem-hannover-top-lane-tips-and-clgs-gaming-house/

     

     

  • AmorphaAmorpha Cupertino, CAPosts: 19Member
    Originally posted by zonova
    Originally posted by Amorpha

    LoL has many more players because its much more appealing to the newbiesll.

     

     

    People say that, and while it amy be true that Dota has a bit mroe complexity then LoL, i don't think that's the reason less people play it. I simply think that it's because of the f2p moel that LoL took off. It's an extremely fun game that isn't as much of a  Dota clone as HoN was. And maybe a professional LoL player can answer your questions about whether Dota is better than LoL (This guy used to play Dota).

     

    http://ggchronicle.com/hotshotgg-interview-iem-hannover-top-lane-tips-and-clgs-gaming-house/

     

     

    Not only is DotA more complex than LoL, it requires much more skill. You can't just stack items and have your skills 2-shot the enemy. There are more item mechanics, and items are much harder to come by. Also, you're describing it as "extremely fun", but honestly, I don't see anything LoL has that DotA doesn't in terms of gameplay. LoL is just easier, and therefore the people who are new to the MOBA genre that try it first will stick with LoL, and the majority of people who try DotA first will then migrate to LoL.

    On the subject of HSGG, don't you think even after playing 4 years of DotA, if you're in the competetive scene, you'll have somewhat of a biased opinion? For example, if you ask someone in the CLG LoL team, or the TSM LoL team, they'll likely say that LoL is a better game. However, if you ask someone from the Na'Vi DotA team, or the EHome DotA team, they would probably say DotA is better. 

  • gameguy369gameguy369 Kansas City, KSPosts: 447Member Uncommon

    LoL. Why?

     

    Because LoL has Shaco, and no other MOBA has Shaco. Easy pick for me.

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.