Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advantages of the multi guild system

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

As announced by Arenanet, people can be member of more then one guild, on top of that guildmembership is account based and not Character based.

The biggest advantage is having guilds for certain activities.

- A roleplay guild that gathers every wendsday night

- A PvP guild that runs WvWvW actions every night

- A casuall friendly guild for a lot of social interaction.

- And many more options

This means that, you can choose the guild you are in the mood for every single night.

Biggest downside, you can only be active or listen to the guildchat of your current choice.  To all your other guilds, it seems like you are offline.

So do you think the advantages are bigger then the disadvantages ?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Single guild system account based because having a bunch of inactive members on my guild list is fracking annoying.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Xzen

Single guild system account based because having a bunch of inactive members on my guild list is frigg annoying.

This.

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

While it has some advantages, i kinda like the old system back in gw1 more. Our guild take it seriously in terms of competitive play, and we enforce our members in gw2 to represent our guild all the time, members seen not representing will be warned and kicked if the act is repeated. Because a Guild is a core community that you bind yourself. (:P sry if those sounded odd)

I think those other groups should be called something else and be seperated from the guilds. I like fighting for one banner, and it goes well with the lore of guild wars.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

It will be too hard to manage a serious guild if people can drop in and out when ever they want between guilds, I will like to see how this works for serious PvP guilds, is there any way to tell or see what guild another player is part of?

I am not sure if sharing strats will be a big issue since GW2 is not really that type of game but I am sure this will cause some problems.

I do see what they are trying to do and it's not a bad idea to be honest but I personally would much rather the single guild per character, much easier to keep track of guild members activity for guild leaders like myself and allow me to plan for guild events and PvP numbers.

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

I havent really given this much thought.. thx for the reminder =)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Biggest downside, you can only be active or listen to the guildchat of your current choice.  To all your other guilds, it seems like you are offline.

Are you serious about that?  That would almost completely destroy all of the advantages to a multi-guild system, and just leave a chaotic mess.  Why not let people chat in multiple guilds at once?  A Tale in the Desert did, and it worked.

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

To me guilds are about being loyal to one "family" that has basiclly the same gaming values you have.  I have always been about super loyalty to my guild. I have ridden a few down to the bitter end and even then was reluctant to leave. I have always felt being part of more than one guild was like being a tratior, though most of that stemmed from guilds all kind of racing towards the same goal.  I think if you are going to be part of a guild you should be loyal to them until the point that you and your guilds goals are not in sync and you should move on and not just decide to not log onto that guild again.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I like it because I can join a casual guild and a good sPvP guild at the same time. Assuming, of course, that GL's won't be jackasses about it and try to enforce 1-guild or representation or w/e.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I prefer the multi guild system because it can greatly enhance your gaming experience without having to guildhop until you find one that supports all things you like.

In another game I know of a guild of close friends that also know eachother IRL that are mainly doing social stuffs and lighter PvE in game. I know 1 of their friends who's also very much interested in end game raiding and pvp but his real home is with his friends. Because he's also a very skilled player he's raiding with 1 of the top raiding guilds on the server and every time before a raid he has to leave his friends' guild, get recruited into the raiding guild in order for their kills to count as a guild kill and then leave again to go back to has friends' guild. Both guilds are completely fine with it so it's just annoying to be forced to guildhop every time he wants to raid.

The raiding part doesn't apply to GW2 but it's just one of many examples. I can totally see a skilled player be in a social guild but do PvP tourrnaments with another guild.

Also I'm a bit used to that sort of system because I've played FFXI for a few years where you can have multiple linkshells.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

I can certainly see value in being able to be in multiple guilds, as guilds may have very different goals. A guild for PvE, one for WvW, one for sPvP. This is also more efficient than having a guild try to do all - take into account influence and guild buffs. I very much doubt you can have buffs across a variable range active at once, so it'll make sense to join a WvW guild that has WvW buffs active, and join a separate one for PvE that has PvE related buffs. Wouldn't even be surprised if one guild makes multiple "divisions" that take advantage of different buffs based on where people are playing.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Are you serious about that?  That would almost completely destroy all of the advantages to a multi-guild system, and just leave a chaotic mess.  Why not let people chat in multiple guilds at once?  A Tale in the Desert did, and it worked.

Offcourse i am serious, thats what i expereinced in BWE2. 

Please proof me wrong and ill be just as hapy, the system of tale in the desert seems much more friendly to me to.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I prefer the Multi-guild system. This is the first time I've considered making a guild, and it's because I won't feel obligated to entertain people constantly. If my guild isn't running a particular dungeon, people in it who want to can ask around in another. That's not likely to happen, though, I enjoy helping with PvE stuff. What IS likely to happen however, is much more synergy between PvP and non-PvP guilds, which is the awesome part. I won't be PvP heavy, but I can still have PvPers in my guild who belong to another specifically PvP guild. They can spend most of their time there and, when they want to gear up a bit for WvWvW or just experience the storyline, they can flip back to my guild and run with us for a bit.

It's all very user-friendly, and the emphasis is on the entire server working together, rather than just specific guilds. Plus, this avoids the issues GW1 had; I can't tell you how many times I had to leave guilds and look for new ones because the people stopped logging in, only to find a month later with a new update suddenly my old guild is full again. New system just avoids so much hassle.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I'm not a fan of the exclusive in-group/out-group mentality many players maintain regarding guilds.  I strongly believe players should have the freedom to befriend and play with many groups of players according to their common interests.  Done responsibly, this doesn't necessarily have to infringe upon the goals of any of the guilds. 

Is there a way to combine the strengths of both systems?

I just cant see how

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I would prefer a system like we had with DAOC. There were guilds and then there were alliances where guilds teamed up together and could all chat in one alliance channel. I suppose GW1 is similar to that too.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Is there a way to combine the strengths of both systems?

I just cant see how

Guilds and Community lists. You can be in 1 guild then you can have community groups that you belong to for things like PvP, Socializing, Raiding, etc. Kind of the same way social networking does it. This way you can represent and be loyal to your guild and still have your other communities for what ever.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I think GW2's guild system is the strongest I've seen in a new MMOG. Some of the awesome features include;

• The ability to join multiple guilds (even if representing only one at a time) is fantastic. It lets folks join their friends guild and join an end-game focused guild or sPvP focused guild.
    • Guilds can be cross-server, so you can guest on a server, join a guild there and still be a part of it when you aren't guesting anymore. The exact details are slim but reportedly you can invite cross-server and chat cross-server and guidls can have members in multiple servers as part of the same guild.
    • Guild is account wide and your character has your pin next to it so no worries about having someone invite your 6 alts and nobody knowing who anyone is when everyone is on an alt.
    • You can even choose to log in as anonymous on those days when you just don't feel like hanging with your guild and just want to play your character on your own for a while.
    • The GW2 guild system is robust with plenty of options, goals to achieve for your guild(s), sweet bonuses for PvE and PvP and more.
    • Guild 'icon' on gear and weapons and the ability for your guild to hold keeps and towers in WvW and display their flag with pride. No 'guild tabard' but I think the current system is even better. Not everyone wants a tabard or cape covering their gear.
    Add the post-launch guild hall system which you just know is going to be extremely good (this is Anet, they simply don't do anything half-assed.) I think GW2's guild system is and will be second to none.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I have 3-4 groups of players I know all playing the game, so it will be nice if I can be in multiple guilds at once. It is nice because you can have your own smaller things going on if you want, but still be apart of a larger guild for bigger events.

Though, having single dedicated players will allow for your guild to progress and gain bonuses faster, that is for sure. There are benefits to each, and I don't really see any draw backs. You can easily "require" people to join just your guild if you really want to. And obviously there are many people that are guild monogamous.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I didn't really mess with the GW2 multi-guild system a ton. I just stuck to one guild. I think it will be nice for players who have one group of friends and another, but I think that having more than 2 guilds is too much for me.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

I think its a welcome change from the normal guild system. Works for everybody, those who want multiple guilds and those who don't. Win-Win.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

It is easy to imagine being in separate PvP and PvE guilds, without being 'disloyal' to either.

The only problematic situation I could imagine would be belonging to multiple PvP guilds that compete directly in tournaments.

Did anyone ever have a lot of alts in a single game, all in different guilds?

Did it work out for you?

For me it didn´t, because in the end all those guilds failed for me, because i was simply not enough time in a single one of them. Only my orriginal guild with old time friends stuck to me. But then we went back to release day.

So one of my fears is with people being part of a lot of different guilds, with this current structure, it will really hurt the community.  The best guilds in general are those that allways hang out together.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

The option I want isn't provided, multi-guild system but character based. Some days you just can't be bothered with the guild drama you sometimes see and it's nice to log into an unguilded alt and just chill out. I don't like this account based guild membership at all. I'd rather it was a choice.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

The option I want isn't provided, multi-guild system but character based. Some days you just can't be bothered with the guild drama you sometimes see and it's nice to log into an unguilded alt and just chill out. I don't like this account based guild membership at all. I'd rather it was a choice.

Whenever you log on a character you can choose which guild to represent, isn't there an option to represent nobody and remain guildless?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77

Did anyone ever have a lot of alts in a single game, all in different guilds?

Did it work out for you?

For me it didn´t, because in the end all those guilds failed for me, because i was simply not enough time in a single one of them. Only my orriginal guild with old time friends stuck to me. But then we went back to release day.

So one of my fears is with people being part of a lot of different guilds, with this current structure, it will really hurt the community.  The best guilds in general are those that allways hang out together.

I'm sure you're not the only person thinking this and people that feel that way will stay in one guild anyway. I'm in two guilds, one is serious, the other is just a group of my friends. I like the multi-guild system. I can be in both guilds without having to jump between alts.