Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is the stealthy thief back?

1235»

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Kyelthis

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the "reveal" mechanic in the game. This stops any sort of heavy stealth builds with this class since you get revealed for around 4 seconds after you get out of stealth, even if you re-stealth.

That said, you can still spec for a heavy stealth build, it's just not as effective as other builds currently (in PvP anyways).

This ^

Probably the most effective stealth in the game is the following:

1 - Orc Stealth (horrible LotRO MP reference), basically hiding in bushes, behind trees, etc. Using the landscape and being sneaky

2 - The stealth field combo (may get nerfed). This combo is mostly used in sPvP matches, and combos the thief & elementalist mechanics to give everyone in the field a speed buff, might, regeneration, protection, and stealth. Lasts a pretty long time too. However it's not something you can permanently rely on, and is mostly a method of which to get out of the gate quickly, without the enemy team noticing.

In PvE, you can exploit stealth to 'reset' combat, but in many cases this is bad. You can pop a few seconds of stealth to get behind a mob, to initiate a backstab, but again it's not something that you can spam / toggle. Most of you're hits from behind will come from standard circle strafe dodging, and stunning / petrifying the mob.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by aesperus

I'm surprised that no one has said anything about the "reveal" mechanic in the game. This stops any sort of heavy stealth builds with this class since you get revealed for around 4 seconds after you get out of stealth, even if you re-stealth.

That said, you can still spec for a heavy stealth build, it's just not as effective as other builds currently (in PvP anyways).

This ^

1 - Orc Stealth (horrible LotRO MP reference), basically hiding in bushes, behind trees, etc. Using the landscape and being sneaky

2 - The stealth field combo (may get nerfed). This combo is mostly used in sPvP matches, and combos the thief & elementalist mechanics to give everyone in the field a speed buff, might, regeneration, protection, and stealth. Lasts a pretty long time too. However it's not something you can permanently rely on, and is mostly a method of which to get out of the gate quickly, without the enemy team noticing.

In PvE, you can exploit stealth to 'reset' combat, but in many cases this is bad. You can pop a few seconds of stealth to get behind a mob, to initiate a backstab, but again it's not something that you can spam / toggle. Most of you're hits from behind will come from standard circle strafe dodging, and stunning / petrifying the mob.

*cough* FYI, Mesmers and Thieves can drop fields that just jsut grant stealth. No silly combo mechanics required.

I do like GW2's stealth mechanic though. I wouldn't mind them adding 1-2 seconds onto it, but otherwise I think it works just fine.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by aesperus

This ^

*cough* FYI, Mesmers and Thieves can drop fields that just jsut grant stealth. No silly combo mechanics required.

I do like GW2's stealth mechanic though. I wouldn't mind them adding 1-2 seconds onto it, but otherwise I think it works just fine.

I think the point of the combo he mentions is mobility and cost. It allows a whole group of people to move very quickly with a ton of buffs while in stealth for only 5 initiative. The fields you drop are on long cooldowns(45s+)  and are a lower duration unless you stay in them I believe.  IE Shadow refuge gives 1s of stealth in 1s pulses inside the field(up to 4-5s), blinding powder for 3s, and the smoke+blast combo gives 5s of stealth.

I think stealth in GW2 currently works fine, I do think the Thief needs a good bit of reworking since the initiative mechanic is going to be incredibly hard to balance. I mean as of last beta it killed weapon swaping in combat and limited thief sustain far below other classes that had more burst and survivability to begin with. Balancing out weapon swaps, burst, and sustain is going to take them forever to balance. So unless they really alter the thief in the final BWE I'm 99% sure I won't be playing one at launch. 

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by Alders

I really hope not,  stealth is a crutch.

I dissagree with this statement in so many ways. Used right stealth is a deadly skill by which only the trully skilled or incredibly lucky can overcome. Those who see it as a crutch will use it that way but those who see it as a weapon will use it likewise.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Scripture1

I dissagree with this statement in so many ways. Used right stealth is a deadly skill by which only the trully skilled or incredibly lucky can overcome. Those who see it as a crutch will use it that way but those who see it as a weapon will use it likewise.

You actually just confirmed what Alders said... stealth is "easy mode".

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Even League of Legends recently decided to completely remove perma stealth from the game. Only 1 character will have a long term stealth but (Evelynn) but she will become visible when she get's too close to enemy. The reasons for the change are basically the same there won't be long term stealth in GW2 too.

• infofrontinfofront Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by Scripture1

You actually just confirmed what Alders said... stealth is "easy mode".

I actually agree with him. Stealth is just another tool, and can be balanced pretty well with other classes and their mechanics.

One could also argue that ranged classes are easy mode, crowd control heavy classes are easy mode, heavy armor classes are easy mode, etc.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Stealth on a Thief should be used more to disorient your oponent or give you a moment to close in on ranged. Its power in GW2 comes from it generally confusing the hell out of your oponent when they begin to cast and you go *poof* then shadow step behind them. But no, you are not going to be running around in perma stealth all the time, the Thief doesn't need it, they are one of the most mobile classes in the game, if you aren't utilizing that mobility you are doing something terribly wrong.