Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can SWTOR still make a comeback?

Comments

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I will probably go back when the first expansion is released, mostly to play the new PvE content. I do not think that SWTOR was that bad, as it managed to keep entertained for few months. It was not perfect nor did it have longevity of WoW, but it was not as bad as people make it sound.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

as long as it stays Star Quest it will not make the turn around.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by thexrated

I will probably go back when the first expansion is released, mostly to play the new PvE content. I do not think that SWTOR was that bad, as it managed to keep entertained for few months. It was not perfect nor did it have longevity of WoW, but it was not as bad as people make it sound.

i'm with you.  at the end of the day on my last day playing it i felt i had gotten my money's worth out of the game.  i played all of the classes to 50 or close to 50 for the story content on the empire side and did some of the warzone pvp.  all in all i got many many enjoyable hours out of the game.

more than i got out of most single player games i have played but less than some (rip ultima series).

but i also never expected to be playing the game 6 months or 2 years later so maybe thats why it didn't disappoint.  story driven MMO eventually runs out of story -- news at eleven!

if it went free to play i'd probably go back as well just to run through one or two of the republic stories and then quit again once i felt that side of the game was complete.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

No. The way the game is designed will turn people away after a few weeks. I played the game, but it didn't felt fresh, more like something from 2004. You know what you had to do from the start. And besides, it's not an mmorpg. I don't understand why people keep saying that. The only multiplayer aspects ingame you do are some instances and some pvp battlegrounds. That's not massive. There is nothing massive about the game. Only the development costs I guess.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Anyone in the game development business needs to remember that MMO games don't go far without pvp, after a couple months the pve content dries up for many players and they continue to play because of pvp. However pvp in SWTOR is a huge shortcoming, it sucks and needs a ton of working on, imagine Bioware almost released SWTOR without pvp. Richard Garriot almost did that with Tabula Rasa as well but he added pvp at the last minute before release, even then pvp was only available through status toggle and no faction so there were guilds fighting other guilds.

lol bad spelling, need more coffee.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I've been playing the free trial and I don't think I will be part of any comeback. It just doesn't feel like i'm a Jedi. Damn near every group of mobs I run into my freaking astromech droid pulls aggro off of me and tanks everything. WTF, I'm a Jedi and he's NOT Artoo.  None of it feels very star warsy, but my character just doesn't feel Jedi at all. How does swinging a lightsaber around not feel fun?

Bounty hunting kind of has the right feel to it at the moment, what with rockets flying around everywhere, I came for the lightsabers though.

• maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84

We will still see further drops in subscriptions.

All the players who had 6 months subscription and started at game launch, will end nowadays (6 months + 1 month included in the box). I guess many will not re-new their subscription.

As for me, I'm done with swtor, and I don't think a comeback is feasible. Not in a mmo industry. Confidence is what is all about. And Bioware hasn't shown much with a lazy game as swtor.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by sookster54

Anyone in the game development business needs to remember that MMO games don't go far without pvp, after a couple months the pve content dries up for many players and they continue to play because of pvp. However pvp in SWTOR is a huge shortcoming, it sucks and needs a ton of working on, imagine Bioware almost released SWTOR without pvp. Richard Garriot almost did that with Tabula Rasa as well but he added pvp at the last minute before release, even then pvp was only available through status toggle and no faction so there were guilds fighting other guilds.

I don't entirely agree. Yeah PvP draws in people, but LOTRO did fine without it for a long time. It took a while for the player versus monster thing to start and even that never qualified as PvP in my eyes.

I really think the problem is far more basic. They made a simple MMO shell and built Star Wars into it. I don't think it can ever become big, because the problem lies at the core of the game and cannot be changed. It's a feeling you get within the first 10 minutes of playing it. I had that feeling in Warhammer's beta and I had it in this one. You just instantly know it won't be the next big thing. It feels generic in every way. The combat is generic, the world is plain and feels dead and the mechanics are wooden. The voice acting is great but utterly pointless on the non-class quests and just a waste of money. 

It's the worst thing you can say about a game but I was just incredibly bored with it. I tried 2 characters until level 25 or so and I just kept skipping through everything praying for the next story quest to come along. I ran around killing the same dudes in the exact same spot when I went to turn my quest in as the ones I killed when I moved to the quest objective. It's so painfully obvious that they cut corners in almost every area except voices.

Makes me question the reviews. Most MMOs get great reviews but anyone can tell within the first 40 levels of this game that it is not the best MMO on the market. There is no way this game is a 9/10 and some even scored it higher than that giving it perfect 10s. For a free to play title I'd say it's a 7/10; good for Star Wars fans with interesting storylines. As retail+monthly fee, it's just a failure.

I'm glad to see it failing. A statement kinda had to be made that we've moved on from WoW clones. It doesn't interest most of us anymore and we're not paying you to do the same thing for another 10 years. What better way to demonstrate that than by having one of the greatest RPG makers of all time, crash and burn with one of the greatest franchises ever made?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think they can make a comeback. It's three steps, but none of them are all that easy as both pride and rethinking the approach are involved.

Step One: Realize you f'd up and admit it to the players

Step Two: Come up with a strategy to turn things around AND relay it to your playerbase

Step Three: FOLLOW THROUGH

Even then, it's still not a guarantee, because if the ones apologizing and turning things around aren't the ones that set the course in the first place, history is just going to repeat itself.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by X.I.N

It can still turn around. Points of succes would be;

F2P

Working open world PvP

A real space game (like JTL)

More choices during the leveling proces (extra planets fo example)

I'm going with this, if they incorporate a real, fully featured space combat simulator (think Wing commander even) and even I would come back to give it another go.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Free2012Free2012 Member Posts: 28

SWTOR will never be open space or even close to SWG in terms of space combat, it's simply not in the cards at all.

Can SWTOR make a comeback?

To what? 1.3million subscribers? No.

Hold steady at 500k? Yes.

With 'The Dark Council'(EA) laying off Bioware employees I'm not expecting great things from Bioware over the next several months. If they really want to be competitive then content needs to absolutely be POURED into this game immediately even if that means reducing the number of fully voiced quests.

Now I totally agree they went the right route in condensed servers, the 12 that are in the 'Heavy' status are alive with people and it's a good time. But they still need to play catch up.

As far as the subscriber numbers go, they'll be inflated of course using some slick language or way of calculating them so they won't exactly be 'lying'.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Kyleran

F2P

Working open world PvP

I'm going with this, if they incorporate a real, fully featured space combat simulator (think Wing commander even) and even I would come back to give it another go.

They are working on opvp endgame content, is already on one of the Q&A  that they have, it will be actually a 2 part update.

¨space combat secret proyect¨. but it will be a 3d space game, with PvP, guid capital ships etcs. 

And actually the population is growing everyday after the new superservers and the 1.3 update, it will grow even more with the 1.4 and after people get bored of gw2 and tsw. 

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Kyleran

F2P

Working open world PvP

They are working on opvp endgame content, is already on one of the Q&A  that they have, it will be actually a 2 part update.

¨space combat secret proyect¨. but it will be a 3d space game, with PvP, guid capital ships etcs. 

And actually the population is growing everyday after the new superservers and the 1.3 update, it will grow even more with the 1.4 and after people get bored of gw2 and tsw. 

Superservers? Is that the spin EA is putting on the transfers or something some fan made up? Dude, they are not "superservers". I seen the thing where EA said they were looking into "new technology" in mega-servers but if it actually happened by now then EA would have billboards announcing it. That has not happen. All the servers are the exact same thing they launched the game with, nothing more, nothing less. Sorry, the game really has lost enough subs to cut servers from 200 something down to 20 something.

Prove me wrong, burden is on you.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

Compare SWTOR with any stage of SWG is a insulto for SWG. Even the worst moments of the first NGE months was more apealing than any stage (release, 1.2, 1.3) of SWTOR.

I will pay 15$ for play the TCG happier than a SWTOR subscription right now. 

Danm, entire SWTOR is a insult for Star Wars!

No space= No STAR

No PVP = No WARS

SWTOR is more carebears with glowsticks the videogame.

I don't want they close SWTOR, is ok for the kids, but hell, I want my Star Wars experience back!!!.image

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

They will cut the dev team down to a skeleton crew, maintain around 100k subs, put in a cash shop and a tcg, make their money back by 2016, then shut it down.

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Member UncommonPosts: 180

Need other Star wars game ... i love Star wars!!! but i don't like Tor :S....

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Foomerang

They will cut the dev team down to a skeleton crew, maintain around 100k subs, put in a cash shop and a tcg, make their money back by 2016, then shut it down.

Why would they shut it down and not continue to make moe money? what kind of backward logic is that? lol

Originally posted by Sixfeetunder

Got to get TOR out of the way 1st. For some unknown ignorance, Lucas already showed us he doesn't want 2 games going at the same time even though they are totally opposite but still would benifit each other and give him 2 money streams.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Bardus

Got to get TOR out of the way 1st. For some unknown ignorance, Lucas already showed us he doesn't want 2 games going at the same time even though they are totally opposite but still would benifit each other and give him 2 money streams.

I really doubt Lucas cared for money he was making from SWG.  I bet he spends more cash in a day thea he was making from SWG ina month.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Foomerang They will cut the dev team down to a skeleton crew, maintain around 100k subs, put in a cash shop and a tcg, make their money back by 2016, then shut it down.
    Why would they shut it down and not continue to make moe money? what kind of backward logic is that? lol

hehe well they were making money on SWG and shut that one down.
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"Open World PvP is never done right in any MMO to date, Blizzard failed at it miserably, in theory Ilum should have worked fine, but it didn't they acknowledged this and people have sense moved on. With recent updates more people are participating in OWPVP, though.

http://www.lineage2.com/en/

speak for yourself on open world pvp has never been done right in any mmo to date.ive yet to find an mmo that has did pvp better then Lineage 2,and your talking to someone who played the game(and still does)for years.i do have to warn you though,its a korean mmo.so your average wow casual probably wouldnt last a day in it

oh and unlike good old blizzard,the company that makes Lineage 2 probably would ignore you if you cried on forums about stuff

I personalluy believe that SWG's open world PVP was done well - though the actual combat system needed work.

I miss base battles...  some of the best MMO moments I have ever had.  Even if they were laggy zerg fests.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Bardus

I really doubt Lucas cared for money he was making from SWG.  I bet he spends more cash in a day thea he was making from SWG ina month.

Then why force it's closure? Must of been afraid of something.

A lot more of the butt hurt SWG fans would of at least tried TOR. A lot of the post launch butt hurt TOR fans would of tried SWG after leaving TOR. Lucas stood nothing to lose but couldn't tell him that and now he's on the verge of being left in the MMO cold.

• NsaigoNsaigo Member Posts: 18

MMORPG is not a genre where movies or novels can be translated directly into a good game, movies and novels lets you imagine a world by presenting a story (AKA pieces of that world), but in MMORPG the players essentially have to live within that world.  In a world as big as the Star Wars universe, bringing it all to life as a immersive game is extremely difficult.

Either start from scratch or make a spinoff of a game is about the only way to go for creating a good MMORPG, since they are either small enough in scope to begin with and they offer good flexibility in terms of content design.

We are still a long time away from having the technology to create a massive yet vibrant MMORPG.  It still take too long and require too much capital just to create one standard MMORPG right now.  At our current pace, it would take another 100 years, but can cut that in half if the world focus more on technology and development instead of waging wars and argue about whose God have a bigger d**k.

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

One thing is sure, if SWTOR closes tomorrow, very few will give a fuck.

Much less than we did with SWG and our petition, EMU's and facebook groups.

We were few, but were a comunity, something that doesn't exist at SWTOR.

Originally posted by Airtaee

One thing is sure, if SWTOR closes tomorrow, very few will give a fuck.

Much less than we did with SWG and our petition, EMU's and facebook groups.

We were few, but were a comunity, something that doesn't exist at SWTOR.

Here here /bow and image